Metal Storm logo
Metsatöll

27.08.2006 - 19:17
Ernis
狼獾
I cannot believe my eyes!!!! No Metsatöll topic....this cannot be allowed....Metsatöll is absolutely the number one metal act in Estonia....their popularity is growing and growing and it seems to find no end....everyone talks about them these days....
Share your opinions of Metsatöll....I personally think that they are good, hard working and they have already reached quite far....and they are undoubtedly extremely original.....
27.08.2006 - 20:55
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Metsatöll is a great Folk band!! I find their style quite tradtional (by this I mean the Estonian vocals and instruments), catchy but still it has something rouch and harsh. A very exceptional Folk Metal band which I strongly recommend actually

Their website with lots of mp3's : http://www.metsatoll.ee
----
Your favorite band sucks.
27.08.2006 - 22:46
UnholyMenace
Psycho
Few weeks ago I listened to their latest song called Sutekskäija and to be honest, it had nothing new to give. I think that Terast Mis Hangund Me Hinge 10218 release is probably the best one from Metsatöll. For me Hiiekoda was too long and somehow they managed to record the album so that all the good songs come first - the end of the album is just too weak.
28.08.2006 - 11:00
Ernis
狼獾
Objection.....I think Hiiekoda is a very fine work.....Every song on this album is a piece of art...I like the medieval instrumental track "Vabadiku laul puu otsas võimidaiganes..."...it resembles me very much of a wellknown medieval melody....I also love Hiiekoda, which is their best song ever in my humble opinion....it fits the end of the album extremely well so does the last song Ussisõnad...I enjoyed this album thoroughly....perhaps its because while TMHMH is more heavy oriented, then Hiiekoda concentrates more on the classical/folklore part...I think I've heard that Lauri had more responsibilities on making the Hiiekoda.....because if to be honest....when TMHMH was originally created, then Lauri was not yet a member.....and the new TMHMH is nothing more but a remake of the first record with one bonus track....a remake of another song.....its commercialy clever....so people shall have to buy your album again and again and again....
But yes....unless you are not "at home" with medieval and folk music then Hiiekoda might turn long indeed......what I thought about TMHMH was....it's a bit damn SHORT.....
28.08.2006 - 12:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like this band and and I dunno if its number one, Whispering Forest, Bestia, Urt are great bands too
I like Metsatoll and thay has new DVD and EP
DVD - ''Lahinguväljal Näeme, Raisk!''
EP - ''Sutekskäija''

Quote:
Metsatöll is a great Folk band!! I find their style quite tradtional (by this I mean the Estonian vocals and instruments), catchy but still it has something rouch and harsh. A very exceptional Folk Metal band which I strongly recommend actually

Their website with lots of mp3's : http://www.metsatoll.ee

Try http://www.myspace.com/metsatoll
http://www.estonianmetal.com/bands.php?id=104 there are video
http://www.metalfolk.net/index.php?section=2&band=73 thay are popular in Italy
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.08.2006 - 14:04
Ernis
狼獾
Yeah...they may be popular in any place in the world....but still....WE are their best audience...

I know about their new EP and DVD....they are going to hold a presentation on the first of September but I doub't I am going to visit it......right now I have to be quite careful with my money so I think I am going to skip their next performances.....I have seen them for quite some times and well....When I first heard Sutekskäija, it did not seem that original or new or breathtaking to me....probably the squealing of the crazed fans took away the atmosphere of Metsatöll....but now when I listen to it peacefully alone...then it sounds relatively better....I like the lyrics....very talented this time....like a story....a typical story...the one you have heard already but they have not touched this theme yet.....the werewolf and witch tales...about people who were burnt and tortured innocently.....great.........currently associates with Silent Hill for example.....
28.08.2006 - 16:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 28.08.2006 at 14:04

Yeah...they may be popular in any place in the world....but still....WE are their best audience...

I know about their new EP and DVD....they are going to hold a presentation on the first of September but I doub't I am going to visit it......right now I have to be quite careful with my money so I think I am going to skip their next performances.....I have seen them for quite some times and well....When I first heard Sutekskäija, it did not seem that original or new or breathtaking to me....probably the squealing of the crazed fans took away the atmosphere of Metsatöll....but now when I listen to it peacefully alone...then it sounds relatively better....I like the lyrics....very talented this time....like a story....a typical story...the one you have heard already but they have not touched this theme yet.....the werewolf and witch tales...about people who were burnt and tortured innocently.....great.........currently associates with Silent Hill for example.....

Thay are from those bands who never will go in tour like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and maybe thay never will go to America, or one show soemwhere, moustly thay go Baltic, Poland, Scandinavia and thaty kind a bands always play in small pubs, cafes, summer open air festivals, where are no much people, and thats why i like it better how planty toiusends of croud,

About lyrics you understand them and yes theme are great witchrafct and witch stores it remaind sme ine BM band in BM radio where in cover was witch exicution, and all small bands are talented, because lyrics are better how ''top'' bands because thay had more time to write
----

apos;'
[image]
29.08.2006 - 08:13
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
This band is interesting but I can't stand the vocals... a bit above the average overall but nothing groundbreaking.
18.09.2006 - 12:52
priit
By the way, their DVD was just amazing. Especially the last song, Lahinguväljal näeme, raisk!, which has to be my favourite from Metsatöll.
18.09.2006 - 13:53
Doh
Great band indeed. I like TMHMH 10218 more than Hiiekoda , because it is heavier . DVD is great also. Killer live band. Fav songs are Terast mis hangund meie hing and Sõjahunt.
18.09.2006 - 14:55
priit
Just ordered TMHMH 10218 & Sutekskäija from Nailboard, I already have Hiiekoda and this DVD. It's gonna be a Metsatöll month or smth
20.01.2007 - 16:47
Kaamos
Account deleted
Don't know this band too well, but they threw an awesome show at Tuska Open Air, in fact, maybe the best i saw there (saw only about 7, blame the alcohol).

Definetily checking them again on 24.2 at Helsinki.
21.01.2007 - 00:44
IronAngel
Where's Lily now? She introduced me to this band first, right here on Metal Storm a few years back.

I saw Metsatöll live last summer, in Tuska. They really convinced me to buy both Hieekoda and Terast, as well as their shirt. They're definetely among my favorite folk metal bands.

The fact that hardly any of you recognized me testifies that I've been listening to less metal nowadays, and I've grown quite fond of folk music in general. That's what I love about Metsatöll, too; They're not a metal band with some acoustic riffs or fiddle parts sprinkled in, they're a band who play folk music with a metal twist to it. Especially live their vocal pieces impressed me.

I'd not say Metsatöll are the best folk band, or the best folk metal band. But they're up in the top five of folk metal bands, and probably the top ten of folk bands in general. I'm not familiar with Estonian folk music tradition, but Metsatöll are somehow authentic and honest. In a way, they greatly remind me of Korpiklaani, though the two bands represent very different traditions of folk music in these regions.
21.01.2007 - 02:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by IronAngel on 21.01.2007 at 00:44

Where's Lily now? She introduced me to this band first, right here on Metal Storm a few years back.

I'd not say Metsatöll are the best folk band, or the best folk metal band. But they're up in the top five of folk metal bands, and probably the top ten of folk bands in general. I'm not familiar with Estonian folk music tradition, but Metsatöll are somehow authentic and honest. In a way, they greatly remind me of Korpiklaani, though the two bands represent very different traditions of folk music in these regions.

Yes where are she

And I agree its not best folk metal band but thay are amazing, and interesting, maybe because its like estonian folk music, thay based in it deep so thats why i like them so much
----

apos;'
[image]
15.07.2007 - 20:10
CrimsonSoaked
Account deleted
Written by priit on 18.09.2006 at 12:52

By the way, their DVD was just amazing. Especially the last song, Lahinguväljal näeme, raisk!, which has to be my favourite from Metsatöll.

I must say that amazing their dvd was it seems to be directed to the estonians because there is a annoying lack of subtitles, and even for a finn , estonian is bit too beyond proper recognition. Saw them in Nosturi club, great live experience ps: ( Their songs actually sounded better in dvd than in studio album ,great mixing )
01.02.2008 - 21:00
Yrg
Hi!

Pre-ordering of Metsatöll´s third album "Iivakivi" has officially begun!

Check the webshop of Nailboard Records at http://www.nailboard.org/store

We do accept now PayPal and credit card as well! Shipping worldwide!
22.02.2008 - 15:01
baldur
i love the song Möök its fucking great cant stop listening to it
22.02.2008 - 21:07
Ernis
狼獾
Written by baldur on 22.02.2008 at 15:01

i love the song Möök its fucking great cant stop listening to it

Actually it's Mõõk.....it means Sword....
Yeh, it's the most "danceable" song by them....when I saw'em live last time they asked people to start dancing....I imagine it'd fit the Riverdance style very well.....
25.02.2008 - 12:17
VPeter
I like them a lot, one of the best east european folk metal bands out there.
alltough they seem reasonably big there CD's are hard to find, I tried to order them from there site but got no reply....
11.03.2008 - 23:01
Tod_Engel
Written by VPeter on 25.02.2008 at 12:17

I like them a lot, one of the best east european folk metal bands out there.
alltough they seem reasonably big there CD's are hard to find, I tried to order them from there site but got no reply....

I suggest you to order Metsatöll's albums from their label Nailboard Records.
05.05.2008 - 05:36
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
They weren't what i was expecting at all when i first listened to them, thought i'd get something similar to korpiklaani, but metsatoll is very different. Still good though, but i wish i could understand estonian
05.05.2008 - 23:02
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I remember that I really liked Hiiekoda when I first got it three years ago, but I found the clean and overpolished tone on Terast Mis Hangund Me Hinge 10218 to be a big step down, it made the folkier parts sound less organic and too clinical. Still, for some time after it's release I was heavily into them, but now I haven't listened to their albums for two years or something, since I got somewhat tired of their popularity in Estonia (pretty much every metal kid was into them) and also started to find it too catchy for my taste.
I think I should give Hiiekoda and TMHMH 101218 a listen sometime to see how I feel about their music atm.
04.07.2008 - 00:03
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 05.05.2008 at 23:02

I got somewhat tired of their popularity in Estonia (pretty much every metal kid was into them)

The hell...pretty much even almost every pop listener was into them....
07.07.2008 - 11:53
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Actually you're right, they were even occasionally played on Raadio Elmar, so besides almost every pop listener, they were probably also pretty popular among the elderly people.
07.07.2008 - 21:11
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 07.07.2008 at 11:53

Actually you're right, they were even occasionally played on Raadio Elmar, so besides almost every pop listener, they were probably also pretty popular among the elderly people.

Raadio Elmar? That's just so five minutes ago.....I heard their interview on VIKERRAADIO....I wonder when they will be introduced to Русское Радио.....
30.07.2008 - 01:07
metsaülem
Although the post is old I have to react...

My only reason in joining this page is Metsatöll. I am much older than all you guys around here and I am very critical when speaking to quality...Although I can't speak much of the Estonian...I must say...

The Metsatöll is in mine opinion definetly the best folk metal band....and It is so much various that declaring it as a folk metal would be unfair,as it does not deserve to be placed with all those statistics and morronic folk metal bands of today...It had so much influence to me that forced me to learn estonian...and practicly I can not name any other band that can even comes to the knees of those guys...MAybe,just maybe Eluveitie...but not much though...All other compared to Metsatöll is more less pure crap....no hard feelings..

Maybe some serious folk music page like www.westparkmusic.de could explain that status of Metsatöll is much more beyond only metal as a genre..

And I read few posts around here that the are not something special or new...

I will not try to prove otherwise...I can only say that my music taste is much various and that I studied the folk music around the Europe...(about rock and metal can write a doctors disertation):) and I could not find something similar nowhere..the mixture od folk and metal.

And that is talking the old metal fun from Croatia,who grew up with first steps od Maiden,Metallica who can confirm the quality of Slayer,Amon Amarth,but also other music genre as Jazz,pop and other...and nothing is to be compared to it..

And if somebody trying to put Metsatöll as brother in arms with Korpiklaani,Wintersun,Fintroll,Cruachan,Suidakra,Ensiferum or Mago de Oz or any of those self proclaimed folk metal and viking metal bands without imagination,progress and idea...than he missed the whole idea...

try see and hear on youtube Metsaviha 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iWHwkTJO6E

or Mõõk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1x_Pg_0MA&feature=related

and if does not trigger your mind than it is just not for you ......yet! still you have to grow

Maybe one of you eesti guys..can tell me where or how can I buy original DVD-s Raua Needmine and
Lahingavlajal naeme,raisk! as something like that in Croatia is pure imagination..

btw....let me know if there is any other band in northern Europe than can play together with Tallin Male choir and that can sound refreshing and original even comparing to their own songs...what a simbiosa!!!!

Try imaging something like Heidevolk or Must missa or Amorphis even with any male choir...

Patetic isn't it?

Although finnish Amorphis has certain quality I admit as a only metal band,so no hard feeling for the Suomi...

Curse upon iron!!!!
Prokleto bilo oru?je!!!

Head odd!!
04.08.2008 - 14:01
Ernis
狼獾
Written by metsaülem on 30.07.2008 at 01:07

Head odd!!

In fact it's "head ööd"

Anyway....I appreciate the support....haven't heard anyone speaking so well about an Estonian group.....
I don't love Metsatöll very much but for me they're better than Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Finntroll etc because to be honest, Finnish folk gets on my effing nerves....it's pointlessly sugary lollypoppy jolly and the stress placed on fiddle sawing and кармошка torture does become annoying...
Metsatöll, on the other hand has wonderful bass guitar passages plus the style resembles more the darker and more serious Celtic way which suits Estonia much more....
The only minus of Metsatöll is Markus's vocals.....sorry, Markus, sorry Tuomas Holopainen....I love yer music but your vocals definitely aren't the best.....Tuomas quit singing after AFF...who knows....I think if Metsatöll could employ a professional singer it'd be even more awesome....the only thing is....I don't know much Estonian quality male singers who'd sing for Metsatöll.....

But the orchestral male choir made it indeed powerful.....
24.08.2008 - 21:33
Janne
Hugin
I just got Iivakivi and I like it! it's quite uniqe to me.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
28.09.2009 - 20:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Can you people tell me what songs do these guys usually play live? i'll probably be seeing them in the Metal Camp next year
28.09.2009 - 21:19
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Valentin B on 28.09.2009 at 20:46

Can you people tell me what songs do these guys usually play live? i'll probably be seeing them in the Metal Camp next year

I haven't seen them live for several years...they have released a new album meanwhile which could have an impact on their setlist....well, I have heard them play "Raiun kui rauda", "Sutekskäija", "Hiiekoda"....I really can't predict...