I like them
Never heard of them before this thread
I appreciate their influence
I dislike them

Total votes: 32
17.05.2006 - 20:05
Vunts
I was sky high when i got their CD: Thergothon - Streams From The Heavens
It was the best luck that i've had for a long time. And i would beat someone to a pulp to have the original CD...or simply pay lots of money...either way, i'd win.

The band is probably the biggest influence to the funeral/drone doom scene and for finding about them, i have to thank the Terrorizer magazine - issue 144 - May 2006. The band has SUCH an AWESOME atmosphere that it makes others pale in comparision. I simply can't pick a favourite out of the 6 tracks clocking in at 40 minutes. Rather short tracks for doom metal aren't they. But even like that, they did their work perfectly.
The short description written in the magazine about the CD is the following:
Quote:
So leaden and unremittingly heavy that many have found it almost an endurance test, Thergothon's album is an airless, joyless, claustrophobic crush, and not for the faint-hearted. It's hardly surprising that the band called it quits after this, but Pandora's box couldn't be closed - The birth of the entire genre of funeral doom could easily be laid at the feet of "Stream From the Heavens"

I also read from some place that Sunn O))) supposedly owes Thergothon their own existence.
This band that i just discovered a few days ago stormed to the tops of my doom playlist. And it has promise of sticking there for a looong time.

EDIT: don't call yourselves a funeral doom fan if you haven't heard this release
17.05.2006 - 20:08
ylside
Staff
Great album that one is. The only thing I dislike about them is the album's length, damn, 40 minutes is too short
17.05.2006 - 20:13
Damnated
Churchburner
Yeah, I hate that to, cuz one of the best things in funeral doom is the long songs. I have the album, and I love it. Not the best of funeral doom, but a well thought, well made album, wich is even better if we take a look at it's influence.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
17.05.2006 - 20:15
Vunts
That part is true and i forgot to add that they aren't only "Rather short tracks for doom metal", but that i'm also displeased by that. Of course, now we have more chance to listen to the record, so that's one more plus to zerg the lonely minus.
# Zerg (however it is actually written) was a race in some game that only survived because there was so many of them. Term used when a bunch of things go at one and rape it (rape not meant in the original context)
20.05.2006 - 13:22
Götter
Elite
Thergothon is great, though badly produced. I actually prefer their demo "Fhtagn Nagh Yog-Sothoth" over their full-length. It's produced a tad better, has an even more primal feel, and the really cool (albeit very short) part which repeats twice in the song "Elemental" at like the third or fourth minute is cooler.

Having heard quite a few funeral doom bands I can tell that Thergothon's influence is truly overwhelming in so many bands of the style. It would seem that Thergothon have been behind every darker funeral doom or ultradoom band's sound, just as Skepticism has influenced the more mournful and sad bands.

How many bands like The Ethereal clone Thergothon (with no great success) is pretty sick.
20.05.2006 - 13:26
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Pioneers of the genre
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
20.05.2006 - 13:45
Vunts
Written by Götter on 20.05.2006 at 13:22

Thergothon is great, though badly produced.

I did think that at first also, but then i started thinking that maybe that's just a little dronish. Bad production or an intended addition, i don't know. But it definately sounds a little like drone. Only some parts. Most of the time it's still funeral doom.
20.05.2006 - 13:47
Götter
Elite
Written by Vunts on 20.05.2006 at 13:45

Written by Götter on 20.05.2006 at 13:22

Thergothon is great, though badly produced.

I did think that at first also, but then i started thinking that maybe that's just a little dronish. Bad production or an intended addition, i don't know. But it definately sounds a little like drone. Only some parts. Most of the time it's still funeral doom.

Thergothon's production is flat out crap. There is no two ways about it.
21.05.2006 - 21:06
Vunts
The only reason for this post is to mention that this thread along with Shape of Despair were moved to the melodic forum (as you see) due to the moderated move of the "Funeral doom" thread, to keep funeral doom in one place.
10.08.2006 - 01:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vunts on 21.05.2006 at 21:06

The only reason for this post is to mention that this thread along with Shape of Despair were moved to the melodic forum (as you see) due to the moderated move of the "Funeral doom" thread, to keep funeral doom in one place.

I still think it shood be in extriem forum.

Tjis band, I had hear them, and actualy I dunno if I like it, ''Stream From the Heavens'' its only album what I know and well sometimese I had fieling, why people think this is firts who plays furneal doom?
Like all doom bands thay are poetic and if thay dint split up, probobly thay be future.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.08.2006 - 01:35
Southern Wind
Account deleted
"Stream From The Heavens" is a master album, and so it's their demo... very mournful and nihilist Funeral Doom, the perfect soundtrack for hopelessness...
10.08.2006 - 01:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 10.08.2006 at 01:35

"Stream From The Heavens" is a master album, and so it's their demo... very mournful and nihilist Funeral Doom, the perfect soundtrack for hopelessness...

I hawnt hear the demo and nihilistic sounds , yes agrie Nihilismus are ideal! Wha a great title for them reunion album
----

apos;'
[image]
06.01.2008 - 00:40
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
[Thergothon in the melodic metal forum is pathetic, but let's skip that.]

Thergothon is the bleakest, most fucked up, crushing and pessimistic music I heard in my entire life, so I just have to love it. Stream From the Heavens is probably one out of 50 albums in the entire world that deserves to be described as a masterpiece and probably one of the most influential albums on the face of this earth, yet, they're still an almost forgotten band. I'm sorry for all the people out there who still haven't listend to these gods. Just everything about this band is perfect. I, as an fanatic of Lovecraft, love the lyrics and I don't think that any band could have played a blend of music that fits so perfectly to the entire cthulhu-mythos. And as for the music, this album is a pure journey. Grabs you by the balls and tears you down to the deepest corners of your mind, just fantastic. And the synths...fuckin' shit they give me the creeps like hell.
06.01.2008 - 00:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 06.01.2008 at 00:40

Guess where this thread is going?
Yes it is doom but way too extreme to be put here in the melodic forum...

so off to the extreme forum with it
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.01.2008 - 01:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I'd vouch for a great re categorization of Doom anyway. Surely, Doom metal is mostly melodic, but it is indeed ridiculous that Funeral or Death Doom bands are in the Melodic Metal section.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.01.2008 - 02:02
Damnated
Churchburner
Opeth's in the melo section.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
06.01.2008 - 02:20
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Damnated on 06.01.2008 at 02:02

Opeth fits there more than Funeral Doom.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.01.2008 - 02:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 06.01.2008 at 02:02

Maybe because they are melodic? Nothing extreme about them except the grunting.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.01.2008 - 03:13
Damnated
Churchburner
well if melo death bands are in the extreme forum, than Opeth should be here as well.
----

06.01.2008 - 03:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 06.01.2008 at 03:13

well if melo death bands are in the extreme forum, than Opeth should be here as well.

Well, on the first page I don't see any melodeath bands so please enlighten me...

I know for a fact that Dark Tranquillity & Detonation both are in the melodic forum
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.01.2008 - 03:21
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.01.2008 at 03:18

Written by Damnated on 06.01.2008 at 03:13

Well, on the first page I don't see any melodeath bands so please enlighten me...

I know for a fact that Dark Tranquillity & Detonation both are in the melodic forum

http://metalstorm.ee/forum/board.php?board_id=2&page=1&subcat=Melodic+Death
----

06.01.2008 - 15:30
Vunts
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.01.2008 at 00:49

If only I could remember the name of the mod who put it in the melodic forum in the first place
06.01.2008 - 15:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Vunts on 06.01.2008 at 15:30

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.01.2008 at 00:49

If only I could remember the name of the mod who put it in the melodic forum in the first place

It could even have been me, because at the time we moved everything doom into the melodic forum. But now I find that totally weird.
Why would Funeralium be in the melodic forum when it is way more extreme than almost anything in the extreme forum.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.01.2008 - 18:05
Toolshed
Utterly great band. Song Everlasting - one of the greatest doom songs ever.

And,what's the best - doom metal fans can worship it whatever doom subgenre they like.From extreme doom forms to melodic,mellow forms.Band for everyone.
06.01.2008 - 19:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Toolshed on 06.01.2008 at 18:05

And,what's the best - doom metal fans can worship it whatever doom subgenre they like.From extreme doom forms to melodic,mellow forms.Band for everyone.

One of best posts in this year man
----

apos;'
[image]
06.01.2008 - 19:24
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Awesome band. I probably listen to their demo more than the album. Rougher and heavier.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
15.08.2008 - 00:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Damn Solitude Productins should finally relase the Thergothon tribute album. The tracklisting was already made public in March of 2007 and still nto a sign of the album.
I did however hear Officium Triste's version of Crying Blood and Crimson Snow and that is one hell of an awesome cover.

This is the complete tracklisting:

Doom Side:

01. LOSS - Everlasting
02. EVOKEN - Yet the Watchers Guard
03. COLOSSEUM - The Unknown Kadath in the Cold Waste
04. MOURNFUL CONGREGATION - Elemental
05. ASUNDER - Who Rides the Astral Wings
06. OFFICIUM TRISTE - Crying Blood and Crimson Snow
07. INTAGLIO - Evoken
08. UMBRA NIHIL - The Twilight Fade
Bonus:
09. PERSISTENCE IN MOURNING - Dancing In The Realm Of Shades

Not Doom Experimental Side:

01. KROHM - Everlasting
02. ASTRAL SLEEP - Yet the Watchers Guard
03. AZAGTOTH - The Unknown Kadath in the Cold Waste
04. AXIS OF ADVANCE - Elemental
05. INTER ARBORES - Who Rides the Astral Wings
06. AARNI - Crying Blood and Crimson Snow
07. NOJDA - Evoken
08. SINGULTUS - The Twilight Fade
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.03.2009 - 14:29
Vunts
Yesterday I received my reissue of 'Stream From the Heavens', so even though I'm not kvlt enough to own the original release, then I can still enjoy the same production, minimalistic artwork of the CD cover, CD itself and also the booklet, which has the lyrics all muddled together in a good looking font, but no song titles.

This is what Niko had to say about the reissue.
14.03.2009 - 19:39
Vunts
Well, if we gotta fight, then we gotta! I'll phone the airport straight away to get the ticket. It's only fair, since, as "I" said before, I'll win! And due to that fact, you'll need to pay the hospital bills!
15.03.2009 - 20:17
WITCHCLAN
I have their demo tape for sale if anyone is interested..? Never really liked them so make me an offer.
----
Pre-order the new Witchclan demo now at www.witchclan.co.uk - release date 1st September 2010.