Metal Storm logo
Marillion

31.08.2006 - 03:22
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Marillion is truly one of the most creative progressive rock bands.They were a little bit softer in their approach to progressive rock and gave it a new sound.In the Fish era (1979-1988) their sound was very similar to Peter Gabriel fronted Genesis.They achieved good success in Britain with albums such as "Misplaced Childhood" and "Clutching at Straws"."Script for a Jester's Tear" is an amazing album as well,as is "Fugazi".I personally like the Fish era better,because there sound changed somewhat when Steve Hogarth came in (much softer,more poppish) but is nonetheless still enjoyable to listen to.Let me know your thoughts on this band be it your favorite songs,albums,if you like them/dont like them,which era you prefer.Whatever it is,it's all accepted here.
02.09.2006 - 03:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I've never heard of them but from what I've heard they were really helpful in bringing back progressive rock in the early 80s along with other bands like I.Q...
05.09.2006 - 07:17
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.09.2006 at 03:01

I've never heard of them but from what I've heard they were really helpful in bringing back progressive rock in the early 80s along with other bands like I.Q...

IQ is another great band who sounds much like Marillion,and whom I like very much as well:).Marillion was very helpful in reviving progressive rock,but also giving it a more wide ranged audience..
14.07.2007 - 11:45
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by baldur on 13.07.2007 at 16:12

i lvoe misplaced childhood an awesome album kayleigh is the best song on it

i dont know what but the voice of fish got something special that i really like^^

Fish has such a great voice, while it isn't anything outstanding as far as singing is concerned, his voice fit the music so much! He reminds me a lot of Peter Gabriel and Peter Hammill
25.07.2007 - 08:08
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
I prefer Hogarth era Marillion, it sounds a lot less like Genesis and more like a found sound that they developed on their own. I worship the album Brave and consider it one of the best albums of the 90s. The album just reeks of atmosphere and keeps getting better with each listen. One of those albums you have to play from start to finish every time
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
25.07.2007 - 15:04
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Fish was a more charismatic and energetic vocalist, whereas Hogarth has much more talent and is great especially at really emotional and depressive singing, but not as charismatic as Fish...

"Brave" is also my favorite album by them, perhaps because it is a little unlike all their other albums and I never was a fan of progressive rock to begin with
26.07.2007 - 09:06
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Well it's about time more people come to this thread, but anyway Brave is a great album, easily the best from Hogarth's catelog. I however still prefer the Fish era, but for some reason find myself listening to more Hogarth era (odd isn't it?).
28.07.2007 - 12:28
Omni
Account deleted
I've only heard Misplaced Childhood by these guys which I enjoyed but haven't bothered looking into anything else. Any others I should look into?

Have to say, I heard Hogarth's version of Kayleigh from their MySpace and it made the song much more towards my taste. His singing sounds somewhat more..."human"? I'm not sure, but maybe I'd prefer Hogarth's Marillion to Fish's.
28.07.2007 - 14:03
baldur
Written by Guest on 28.07.2007 at 12:28

Any others I should look into?

well i like Script for a jester's tear very much if you want to try this album...
29.07.2007 - 07:24
Amethyst
Account deleted
"Clutching at Straws" (1987) and "Marbles" (2004)

One from each period of the band.
30.07.2007 - 00:23
Omni
Account deleted
Thanks for the suggestions!
I'll have a look into em and let you all know
30.07.2007 - 19:04
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.09.2006 at 03:01

Do you have the Dream Theater DVD Five Years in a LIVEtime? On it they play a Marillion song, "Easter", with two of the members of the band. If you forgot which one it is, here it is.
----
(space for rent)
30.07.2007 - 19:18
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I just put on the song "Lavender", I must say how much it reminds me of Selling England By The Pound era Genesis. Anyone else think so?
----
(space for rent)
31.07.2007 - 05:22
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah, I have that DVD...I had no idea that Marilion was on that! I'll go check it out right away...
01.08.2007 - 03:06
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 31.07.2007 at 05:22

Yeah, I have that DVD...I had no idea that Marilion was on that! I'll go check it out right away...

I hope you remember that there is also representation from Yes, Iron Maiden and Napalm Death, too.
----
(space for rent)
02.08.2007 - 10:58
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 01.08.2007 at 03:06

I hope you remember that there is also representation from Yes, Iron Maiden and Napalm Death, too.

Yeah I have that DVD Jon Anderson joins them for Starship trooper, Bruce Dickinson for smoke on the water, and Barney for Damage Inc. isn't it? (haven't watched in a while). Anyway, most of Fish era Marillion draws it's influence from Selling England by the Pound, or at least that's what I think. So yes someone else does think so hahaha. Easter is a kick ass song by the way!
02.08.2007 - 15:52
Omni
Account deleted

I remembered! Can I have a prize?

Either way I had a look into "Marbles" and I think its great! Really quite beautiful at times and towards my tastes. Are most of the Hogarth-era Marllion albums in the same vein?
02.08.2007 - 16:39
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.08.2007 at 15:52

Either way I had a look into "Marbles" and I think its great! Really quite beautiful at times and towards my tastes. Are most of the Hogarth-era Marllion albums in the same vein?

Sure, you're prize is...um...well all I can give you is our live album for free online, if you want that. Or I can run around my house naked screaming. One of the two....

Wait, just did the house deal...soooo I guess just the album.
----
(space for rent)
02.08.2007 - 20:57
Omni
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 02.08.2007 at 16:39

Written by Guest on 02.08.2007 at 15:52

Sure, you're prize is...um...well all I can give you is our live album for free online, if you want that. Or I can run around my house naked screaming. One of the two....

Wait, just did the house deal...soooo I guess just the album.

And where would I be able to download your bands live album? :p

Do you have a bonus track of you running around screaming?
02.08.2007 - 23:50
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I know them because of Riverside. I found out they were big Marillion fans, were very inspired by them and decided to check them out. They are a good listen but I dont know if I can love them.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.08.2007 - 02:36
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well, OBVIOUSLY I know that there is a representation from those bands...I wasn't high when I watched that DVD you know...
08.08.2007 - 21:00
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I listened to "afraid of the sunlight" today again, u know that album is so full of "hits". Its really a great album. I'm starting to appreciate seriously. Besides the genius of the lyrics, their musical constructions are interesting as well.

I also listened to the song "easter" on the Dream theater dvd, where they played with Marillion and decided to download "season's end" too.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.08.2007 - 08:46
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 08.08.2007 at 21:00

I listened to "afraid of the sunlight" today again, u know that album is so full of "hits". Its really a great album. I'm starting to appreciate seriously. Besides the genius of the lyrics, their musical constructions are interesting as well.

I also listened to the song "easter" on the Dream theater dvd, where they played with Marillion and decided to download "season's end" too.

Seasons End is a very good album, I am especially fond of the song After Me, it has very touching lyrics, I just absolutely love that song
21.05.2012 - 02:32
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Marillion are working on a new album that will hopefully be released this year; the album will be called Sounds that Can't Be Made.
I'm looking forward to hearing new music from Marillion. Less is More was interesting, but 4 years since HITR has been too long.
21.05.2012 - 03:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Marillion died for me after Season's End. My God did they go downhill.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.05.2012 - 04:06
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.05.2012 at 03:53

what did you listen to and disliked?
21.05.2012 - 04:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 21.05.2012 at 04:06

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.05.2012 at 03:53

what did you listen to and disliked?

I have listened to every singlle release after Season's End and disliked every single one and it is getting worse per release.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.05.2012 - 05:09
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

I have listened to every singlle release after Season's End and disliked every single one and it is getting worse per release.

Even Brave and Marbles?
21.05.2012 - 12:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 21.05.2012 at 05:09

Even Brave and Marbles?

Yes, also those. Like I said "every single release after Season's End"
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.07.2012 - 18:44
helofloki
I once met a girl named Kayleigh after the song. Fish era Marillion is one of my favorite musical projects of all time. Everything is just so nicely done, down to the dark and evocative lyrics. Fish is such a dramatic vocalist with a unique sound. I just dig it.

Post Fish marillion is fine by me, but it just sounds so watered down. Still I wouldn't mind going to see them if they came around.