07. Difference Engine
08. Dissemble
09. Religion Is Flawed Because Man Is Flawed
10. Human Augmentation
11. Blush Response (Difference Engine) [deluxe digibook bonus]
12. Landfill [deluxe digibook bonus]

Featured in "Getting Into: Fear Factory"

Additional info
The CD was mixed by Greg Reely and also features additional tracking by Logan Mader and artwork by Anthony Clarkson.

Drums were programmed for this album by the band with the help of John Sankey (Devolved).

Digibook edition contains 2 bonus tracks:

11. Blush Response (Difference Engine Remix) (04:38)
12. Landfill (Pitchshifter cover) (03:44)

Japanese edition contains 2 bonus tracks:

11. Blush Response (Difference Engine Remix) (04:38)
12. Timelessness 2

Staff review by
omne metallum
Rating:
The rise of Skynet.

Read more ››
published 07.09.2020 | Comments (3)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 64   Visited by: 692 users
05.06.2012 - 05:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Meh. Sounds like Mechanize-lite. Recycled riffs abound, and Burton seems to be losing his power...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.06.2012 - 09:19
balumalu
Account deleted
I just love this album! Once again Fear Factory will lead you to the future!
05.06.2012 - 19:19
John Shock
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.06.2012 at 05:47

Meh. Sounds like Mechanize-lite. Recycled riffs abound, and Burton seems to be losing his power...

I don't, it seems so powerful...and his melodic digitalized voice is improving very much...i love his vocals on this one, and on Mechanize too! ...For me this album rules! ...The band's technic is so awesome, and those programmed drums are anything like awesome too...hope that their new drummer can do on their shows, exactly as the album! I don't doubt it! The album doesn't lack of melodies...i think it's balanced...it's an awesome album!
06.06.2012 - 08:00
Rating: 7
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Definitely a "have-to-be-in-the-mood" type band, but I like this album. I like the more industrial edges hinted at, like in God Eater, but they can definitely go farther. However, I was expecting much worse.
06.06.2012 - 14:11
Aeox
Account deleted
Written by John Shock on 05.06.2012 at 19:19

I don't, it seems so powerful...and his melodic digitalized voice is improving very much...i love his vocals on this one, and on Mechanize too! ...For me this album rules! ...The band's technic is so awesome, and those programmed drums are anything like awesome too...hope that their new drummer can do on their shows, exactly as the album! I don't doubt it! The album doesn't lack of melodies...i think it's balanced...it's an awesome album!

I believe Hoglan was still present on these recordings - doubt they programmed the drums, unless I missed an article about it.
06.06.2012 - 15:36
John Shock
Written by Guest on 06.06.2012 at 14:11

Written by John Shock on 05.06.2012 at 19:19

I believe Hoglan was still present on these recordings - doubt they programmed the drums, unless I missed an article about it.

But they did...unfortunately for many fans! For me no...i devour tecnique, i'm a lover off creative bass drum riffs combined with guitarr riffs...
06.06.2012 - 16:46
Rating: 9
InsaneMetal
After several days listening to it I got used to this. I love it. It's Fear Factory at its best. This is Industrial Metal!
06.06.2012 - 17:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Introspekrieg on 06.06.2012 at 08:00

Definitely a "have-to-be-in-the-mood" type band, but I like this album. I like the more industrial edges hinted at, like in God Eater, but they can definitely go farther. However, I was expecting much worse.

"God Eater" is a fantastic song, and I'm definitely pleased at the more industrial feel to the album after the last couple, which stripped a lot of that aspect of their sound away.
08.06.2012 - 10:44
Rating: 8
s_t_s
Too early for me to rate it : good thing is that this is 100% pure FF sound and even better is that there is a strong identity put into this album ! Bad (or half failed ?) thing are the last 2 tracks, esp the last one that only artificially adds to the album length (what : 9 minutes of noise ? Come on )

Next question is : is the real ending track to be found in the deluxe edition I really miss a strong ending track esp as "Final Exit" is one hell of a track !
08.06.2012 - 18:43
Xytraguptor
Written by s_t_s on 08.06.2012 at 10:44

Next question is : is the real ending track to be found in the deluxe edition I really miss a strong ending track esp as "Final Exit" is one hell of a track !

There is not such a song. The limited edition only has a remix of Difference Engine and the Pitchshifter cover of Landfill.
08.06.2012 - 18:45
rpsgc
Written by s_t_s on 08.06.2012 at 10:44

Too early for me to rate it : good thing is that this is 100% pure FF sound and even better is that there is a strong identity put into this album ! Bad (or half failed ?) thing are the last 2 tracks, esp the last one that only artificially adds to the album length (what : 9 minutes of noise ? Come on )

Landfill is a cover, but it might be what you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn7gw6ZoY1Q
09.06.2012 - 02:46
steelminion01
Cant believe there's only 8 songs on this, the price of CDs should drop to match, wasn't very diverse all the songs were the same start to finish, thought it was goin to be the next demanufacture, i was wrong, i miss songs like resurrection , replica, archeype, descent, pisschrist, this was just mechanize over and over again
09.06.2012 - 02:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by steelminion01 on 09.06.2012 at 02:46
Cant believe there's only 8 songs on this, the price of CDs should drop to match.

What if those eight songs are each 10 minutes in length?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.06.2012 - 15:24
s_t_s
Actually this album is growing on me, I'm even thinking buying it now (but don't know why this is sold at such a high rate in France !). I don't really like the bonus tracks tho, I'm not into mixes and the final song has nothing special. In the end, it takes some time to get into this album, but this is definitely a very good album to me ! The final song would have been great with some understandable lyrics.

PS : I do believe tho that the final track is really too long... 9 minutes of ambient noise could easily have been cut to 4 or 5 minutes.
11.06.2012 - 12:43
Kamil
Account deleted
This album is not only perfect mixture between Mechanize sound, Obsolete climates and agression from Demanufacture, but also the best stuff since glorious Demanufacture
Highlights: "Depraved Mind Murder", "New Messiah", "Virus of Faith", "Difference Engine".
12.06.2012 - 07:54
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Is it just me or does Burton kind of look like a thicker Giovanni Ribisi these days?
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

13.06.2012 - 05:02
vgmaster9
This album was pretty decent. I really liked "Recharger", that's probably my favorite song there. However, it didn't really grow on me as much as Demanufactre.
17.06.2012 - 04:57
Rating: 9
InsaneMetal
I can now safely say this is one of the best albums this year imo. Didn't like it at first, but now I love it. I guess I just got used to the "less industrialized" Fear Factory from the last few albums.
19.06.2012 - 07:20
Destructo
Decent overall, with some of the THE most crushing riffs ever....but failed to engage me enough.
20.06.2012 - 15:12
s_t_s
Added one point to my rating because now I just cannot stop listening to this awesome album ! Only wish it had one or two more tracks but hey... Need to check the Japanese bonus track "Timelessness 2" on youtube !

PS : hmm cannot find it yet, if someone has a link please pm ! Thank you !
24.06.2012 - 07:29
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite

I've listened to this more now and I don't think it's so much that he is losing his power but it sounds to me like his vocals are actually kind of buried under the music in the mix which would definitely make him sound weaker.

And the riffs do sound kind of recycled but haven't almost all their riffs sounded kind of recycled since Demanufacture? And honestly to me Mechanize did have some of that Demanufacture aggression but I think that album sounds like Divine Heresy-lite since it was basically recorded right after Dino recorded and released Bringer Of Plagues. To me this album has sounds more like Fear Factory than Mechanize did because the industrial elements are a bit more prevalent on this album and give it a little more personality than Mechanize had...
----

24.06.2012 - 07:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Admittedly I've only ever listened to Fear Factory passively since Archetype, so my comparisons and references aren't exactly the most accurate, whereas someone who obviously puts more effort into dissecting their music will be able to pick specific pieces of their puzzle apart. I remember enjoying Mechanize for its overall injection of aggression into their discog after seemingly focusing on writing some kind of atmospheric or somber style industrial metal but I absolutely hated life when I wasted time listening to Divine Heresy. While this may sound more like Fear Factory than Mechanize I still don't like the album. I've come to realize it's not just Burton that sounds weak, but the entire package. I'd probably like this a lot more if I were 14 and just getting into metal again.
----
24.06.2012 - 07:48
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.06.2012 at 07:35

Admittedly I've only ever listened to Fear Factory passively since Archetype, so my comparisons and references aren't exactly the most accurate, whereas someone who obviously puts more effort into dissecting their music will be able to pick specific pieces of their puzzle apart. I remember enjoying Mechanize for its overall injection of aggression into their discog after seemingly focusing on writing some kind of atmospheric or somber style industrial metal but I absolutely hated life when I wasted time listening to Divine Heresy. While this may sound more like Fear Factory than Mechanize I still don't like the album. I've come to realize it's not just Burton that sounds weak, but the entire package. I'd probably like this a lot more if I were 14 and just getting into metal again.

Well honestly I didn't listen to Fear Factory much after Obsolete, didn't like what I heard on Archetype or Transgression (never really checked out Digimortal come to think of it so I can't comment on that album at all). I actually enjoyed Divine Heresy (mostly because of Tim Yeung) but then I'm not as kvlt and br00tal as thou art. I defintely enjoyed the aggression they had on Mechanize but it was, in all reality, basically Bringer Of Plagues II + Demanufacture II and since we've already stated that almost all their riffs sound a bit recycled anyway I'd just rather listen to Soul Of A New Machine, Demanufacture and/or Obsolete if I really need a Fear Factory fix. The Industrialist isn't a bad album, it is a little weak but still better than Archetype and Transgression and I do enjoy the "re-introduction" of more industrial elements into the music. For me, it could potentially come to be one of their albums that I listen to with some form of frequency like the first 3 albums but only time will tell, I'm still getting more acquainted with it...
----

24.06.2012 - 17:39
s_t_s
Written by psykometal on 24.06.2012 at 07:48

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.06.2012 at 07:35

Well honestly I didn't listen to Fear Factory much after Obsolete, didn't like what I heard on Archetype or Transgression (never really checked out Digimortal come to think of it so I can't comment on that album at all). I actually enjoyed Divine Heresy (mostly because of Tim Yeung) but then I'm not as kvlt and br00tal as thou art. I defintely enjoyed the aggression they had on Mechanize but it was, in all reality, basically Bringer Of Plagues II + Demanufacture II and since we've already stated that almost all their riffs sound a bit recycled anyway I'd just rather listen to Soul Of A New Machine, Demanufacture and/or Obsolete if I really need a Fear Factory fix. The Industrialist isn't a bad album, it is a little weak but still better than Archetype and Transgression and I do enjoy the "re-introduction" of more industrial elements into the music. For me, it could potentially come to be one of their albums that I listen to with some form of frequency like the first 3 albums but only time will tell, I'm still getting more acquainted with it...

Really don't agree with you saying that the whole package sounds weak ! I've been following Fear Factory ever since Demanufacture and I like the way they have chosen, tho it's always a bit sad to see founding members leave one after another... the only album that really disappointed me was Transgression (not to forget that unbearable U2 cover !). I've been so happy to meet with the goold old FF sound with Mechanize ! Now to me this album sounds great because it's what FF is about : man vs the machine (funny they actually used electronic beats instead of a real drummer, hehe).

Oh and by the way, I'm not 14, thank you
24.06.2012 - 17:56
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by s_t_s on 24.06.2012 at 17:39

Really don't agree with you saying that the whole package sounds weak !

That's fine, it's just a difference of opinion really. I appreciate their progression but it's just not my preference entirely as far as what Fear Factory have put out, but this album could be a grower so we'll see...
----

04.07.2012 - 15:14
s_t_s
Oh and if anyone cares, here's a link to Timelessness 2 but it's only an acoustic version of Timelessness and while not bad at all, it has nothing to do in this album, so I really don't miss bonus tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueS8hsTSabo
07.07.2012 - 23:20
Vikcen
Metálico
Great deception for me, the true i didn't expect it. Uninspired, terribly flat, without emotion, soulless. Fear Factory falls with this album.

17.08.2012 - 21:02
Kamil
Account deleted
Written by Vikcen on 07.07.2012 at 23:20

Uninspired, terribly flat, without emotion, soulless. Fear Factory falls with this album.

So your rating of this album should be much lower, than 7

I am surprised, that "The Industrialist" is so underrated. Guys, this is their best stuff since "Demanufacture". During next few years many of you will agree with me.
24.08.2012 - 03:25
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Guest on 17.08.2012 at 21:02

Uninspired, terribly flat, without emotion, soulless. Fear Factory falls with this album.

I am surprised, that "The Industrialist" is so underrated. Guys, this is their best stuff since "Demanufacture". During next few years many of you will agree with me.

Well, in my case still i'm fan of Fear Factory, and i like its kind of music, if not the rating would be lower sure, well, i try to be objective (it is not easy), and majorly comparing with the other albums of their discography, this is flat. By the way, i only put ratings on the albums that i buy, and logically, most of the times I try to buy records that I like, so the notes are usually not too bad.

And with this rating, this album is positioned as the worst for me, within the discography of Fear Factory that i own in my colection.
12.09.2012 - 15:30
s_t_s
Written by Vikcen on 24.08.2012 at 03:25

Written by Guest on 17.08.2012 at 21:02

Well, in my case still i'm fan of Fear Factory, and i like its kind of music, if not the rating would be lower sure, well, i try to be objective (it is not easy), and majorly comparing with the other albums of their discography, this is flat. By the way, i only put ratings on the albums that i buy, and logically, most of the times I try to buy records that I like, so the notes are usually not too bad.

And with this rating, this album is positioned as the worst for me, within the discography of Fear Factory that i own in my colection.

Well, I guess it's all a matter of indivuals then because this album proudly enters my top 3 of FF best albums with Demanufacture and Mechanize. Once I start listening to "The Industrialist" I have to run it till the (too early) end. It comes as a complex one block album streaming with a lot of power and emotions, really don't see why you should think differently byt hey your choice

Hits total: 20921 | This month: 38