Metal Storm logo
The Ramones

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 17.05.2006 - 23:32
Taking the name in reference to The Beatles' Paul McCartney's alias and making music in protest to the Rock music of their time these guys were one of the greatest Punk bands of all time. They were the United States first Punk band offering to the World and they even influenced other important Punk bands of the moment like The Sex Pistols and The Clash. The band was founded in New York in 1974 and they released their first album in 1976 (before any other Punk band) and ending their long journey of their musical journey in 1996 with their last concert but not without releasing several albums before.

Their legacy is undeniable; we see many bands naming them as inspiration inside and even outside the Punk world, bands like Nirvana and Guns 'N' Roses. Unfortunately death took it's toll with almost all the band's members and only Marky Ramone (not founding member) has been one of the last survivors of the band's death persecution. He now plays drums these days with The Misfits.

Any thoughts about the band?
15.11.2010 - 05:47
SlaytanicGonzo
Another examples, End Of The Century:

Rock'n Roll Radio, Danny Says, Baby I Love You = Pop

Chinese Rock, This Ain't Havana, Rock'n Roll Radio = Punk

Animal Boy

Somebody Put..., My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down, Somebody To Believe In = Pop

Animal Boy, Love Kills, Freak Of Nature = Punk

Still, all Ramones songs, be them punk or not are quite poppy, and you can't deny that.,
15.11.2010 - 09:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by SlaytanicGonzo on 15.11.2010 at 05:47

Another examples, End Of The Century:

Rock'n Roll Radio, Danny Says, Baby I Love You = Pop

Chinese Rock, This Ain't Havana, Rock'n Roll Radio = Punk

Animal Boy

Somebody Put..., My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down, Somebody To Believe In = Pop

Animal Boy, Love Kills, Freak Of Nature = Punk

Still, all Ramones songs, be them punk or not are quite poppy, and you can't deny that.,

Bonzo Goes To Bitburg, fair enough, fairly soft, poppy song. But Somebody Put Something In My Drink? That's punk; straight forward, hard riffing, Joey's voice is really raunchy with a catchy chorus. I think you may be mistaken, just because it's got clean production does not make it not punk. Ramones were the original pop punk band: Greenday and all their descendants were direct Ramones knock offs.

Also keep in mind Ramones are the originators of what punk is. It's like saying Black Sabbath isn't metal because they didn't use double bass drumming.

That being said, once again, rock and pop are not mutually exclusive. Let's use Bruce Springsteen as an example, not as hard as The Ramones, but still rock, just a different vein of it. Now matter how many songs you list off aimlessly, your silly revisionist views are just...wrong.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.07.2014 - 13:58
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Sad news, music world.Tommy Ramone died at the age 62 yesterday. He was the last surviving member of the original The Ramones line-up and was recieving bile duct cancer treatment in hospice. May he rest in peace.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
20.01.2016 - 23:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@people what is best Ramones song, I say well after friend introduce its 'Poison heart'' somehow I love this tune, such 70's 80's icon, wrote so powerful song in the 80's its unbelievable
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.01.2016 - 19:22
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Poison Heart their best? Are you for real? my head is about to explode.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.01.2016 - 19:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Incidentally, loved the fact the Ramones fb feed, when Lemmy died, posted a vid of Lemmy's tribute to the Ramones as a tribute to Lemmy.

one of my friends in Paraguay saw them both together, got tats of both logos and the date to commemorate it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.01.2016 - 19:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 21.01.2016 at 19:22

Poison Heart their best? Are you for real? my head is about to explode.

Do not, I repeat, do not, try to understand what goes on in K7's head
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996