Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater - Announce New Drummer

In reality TV style, Dream Theater have put together a trio of videos documenting their search for their new drummer. The last video of the series shows the last applicants of the seven-man short-list auditioning and jamming with the band in their hope to be selected as the new American Idol. After narrowing the short-list down to two drummers and a long and hard deliberation, the band have chosen Mike Mangini as their new drummer.

The whole series can be found at these locations:

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L609JsPFmmI
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vaDfcKzLbY
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHMQjH17aw

Mike Mangini's history includes drumming with Annihilator, Steve Vai and James LaBrie.

Source: youtube.com
Band profile: Dream Theater
Posted: 30.04.2011 by Baz Anderson

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 42   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 594 users
02.05.2011 - 02:39
JPR

I would like some Marco Minnemann. Lets see what Mangini can do.
02.05.2011 - 07:26
MetalSpider

Not a big Dream Theater fan, but I actually watched all 3 parts. It was interesting to watch. Some damn good drummers thats for sure.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
02.05.2011 - 12:48
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by Guest on 01.05.2011 at 15:34

Portnoy is a fantastic drummer, but he was selfish when he wanted the whole band to stop for 5 years. I understand that everyone needs a break but if the rest of them want to go on thats fine. What is stupid is that after wanting a break he is part of more projects than he has ever been in. I personally like Mangini much more as a person and a drummer than Portnoy. As DT is my favorite band i must say that i am happy with the replacement of portnoy.

He didn't want a break from playing, just a break from Dream Theater. And it wasn't 5 years, it was one year.
----
THRASH!!!
02.05.2011 - 13:52
Lachy
Account deleted
Written by DrunkenFuck on 02.05.2011 at 12:48

Written by Guest on 01.05.2011 at 15:34

Portnoy is a fantastic drummer, but he was selfish when he wanted the whole band to stop for 5 years. I understand that everyone needs a break but if the rest of them want to go on thats fine. What is stupid is that after wanting a break he is part of more projects than he has ever been in. I personally like Mangini much more as a person and a drummer than Portnoy. As DT is my favorite band i must say that i am happy with the replacement of portnoy.

He didn't want a break from playing, just a break from Dream Theater. And it wasn't 5 years, it was one year.

They said 5 years on episode 1. The point is he cant expect to hold the others up for his own thing.
02.05.2011 - 18:49
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 01.05.2011 at 03:47

It was interesting to watch their process, especially the "three parts" they broke it down into. I was kind of disappointed the way they portrayed Portnoy. It seems they made it sound like a) he was dead or b) he didn't try and reconcile and come back. I understand they were already on the hunt, but it's not like they had their new drummer yet. I feel like after 25 years (and being a founding member) they would have given him some slack (but I don't know the whole situation). Regardless, it was their decision as a band and I am interested to see what Mangini can do.

In other news, I'm looking forward to seeing what Portnoy can do with Mr. Russell Allen and the Morse brothers.

Steve morse and Neil Morse are not brothers, but anyway I would like to listen to that album when it comes out too. Hope Portnoy would do a better job than he did on the last Transatlantic.
02.05.2011 - 20:01
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 02.05.2011 at 18:49

Written by Clintagräm on 01.05.2011 at 03:47

It was interesting to watch their process, especially the "three parts" they broke it down into. I was kind of disappointed the way they portrayed Portnoy. It seems they made it sound like a) he was dead or b) he didn't try and reconcile and come back. I understand they were already on the hunt, but it's not like they had their new drummer yet. I feel like after 25 years (and being a founding member) they would have given him some slack (but I don't know the whole situation). Regardless, it was their decision as a band and I am interested to see what Mangini can do.

In other news, I'm looking forward to seeing what Portnoy can do with Mr. Russell Allen and the Morse brothers.

Steve morse and Neil Morse are not brothers, but anyway I would like to listen to that album when it comes out too. Hope Portnoy would do a better job than he did on the last Transatlantic.

Right, thanks for the correction. I must've been thinking of Alan and Spock's Beard. Regardless, I never heard the last Transatlantic, but I enjoyed the first two. Hopefully good things will come.
----
The force will be with you, always.
03.05.2011 - 11:45
dark_mar

Good drummers dont think about to play in DT...they play much better music. I have loved DT but after 10 years this music is...boring. GOOD DRUMERS play with feel.
05.05.2011 - 00:40
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Thanks for the spoiler dude
20.05.2011 - 02:07
FrozenJoy

Ummm, personally, I didn't like the "reality style" thing at all... It totally annoys me, and I was expecting some kind of (at list a bit) serious attitude towards the drummer change... I haven't heard Mangini, so I can't bash or talk good about him, but I just hope he can replace Portnoy, which I think is one HELL of a drummer (probably one of my favourites ever)... And he wrote A LOT of DT's music over the years, so I'm kinda worried about this... Expecting not precisely good change of style...

I just don't know, this whole show thing makes me respect them less than before... They were always an incredible band for me
I still can't believe I was not into the band when they played here with Portnoy for the last time (Black Clouds Tour)... I would give anything right now to go back and go see them live
20.05.2011 - 07:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Mike Mangini is an awesome drummer, though as far as I know, he isn't a songwriter. So I think the loss of Mike Portnoy is still going to hurt the band. Can't fault Mike Mangini's drumming abilities though, in that regards, he is a great replacement. xD
22.05.2011 - 07:57
ekatrock

likemike...no onecan be like mike \m/
28.05.2011 - 03:38
ruiportista

Written by .Nemesis. on 30.04.2011 at 20:37

Who cares, neither of them are as good as Danny Carey.

GOD DAMN TRUE!

Hits total: 10767 | This month: 5