Metal Storm logo
Opeth - New Album Tracklist Revealed

Official press release:

Sweden's most revered and respected progressive metal mavens Opeth will release Heritage, their third album for Roadrunner, on September 20th. The first video and single will be the song "The Devil's Orchard". Heritage follows up 2008's Watershed and 2005's Ghost Reveries, each of which garnered the forward-thinking, genre-bending band some of the best reviews of their career.

Opeth frontman and guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt weighed in on Heritage, saying: "It will be our 10th album/observation. I dig it; we all do. In fact, it feels like I've been building up to write for and participate on an album like this since I was 19."

Åkerfeldt went a little deeper and described the music contained within Heritage, saying: "It's quite intense at times in some 'old' murky way, and quite beautiful and stark at times, if I may say so myself. It's obvious I'm going to say nice things about it since I wrote basically the whole piece, but I guess it will raise a few eyebrows and it certainly is an acquired taste. I think you'll need a slightly deeper understanding of our music as a whole to be able to appreciate this record. I've realized my influences for this album are so diverse that I can't really say what it sounds like. If I can compare it to any other band, it would have to be Opeth, but it's different from the stuff we've done before. I've listened a lot to Alice Cooper for the last year, yet I can't say it sounds like 'No More Mr. Nice Guy'. I hope you'll like it once you hear it."

The album was produced by Åkerfeldt and mixed along with Porcupine Tree frontman/guitarist Steven Wilson, who is also a labelmate of Opeth. Longtime collaborator Travis Smith also worked with Åkerfeldt to create, design and execute the album's artwork.

Heritage tracklist:

01. Heritage
02. The Devil's Orchard
03. I Feel The Dark
04. Slither
05. Nepenthe
06. Haxprocess
07. Famine
08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth

[Also thanks to Tornado Of Souls for pointing this out in the forum!]

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 26.05.2011 by Unhealer

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 50   Visited by: 696 users
26.05.2011 - 22:42
Sulac
I'm not a hardcore Opeth fan, but I like em enough to say that this is a release I am really anticipating.
26.05.2011 - 22:45
Tetravirulence
Looks like the songs are going to be a little bit shorter since ten tracks and i was hoping they dont do this for the sake of some roadrunner crap but if they can carry the message fully it really doesnt matter short or long so fingers crossed
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
26.05.2011 - 22:52
Jiri
If you want to be cool and progressive, you'd better mention the word: "Marrow" in your album tracklist somewhere.
26.05.2011 - 22:53
Storchillarn
I have a feeling a lot of so called fans are going to hate this release. =)
26.05.2011 - 23:15
Cathval
Opeth have never released a bad record. True, there may be one or two I give a spin only once or twice, here or there, but overall their quality speaks for itself. Love the eloquence of the song titles there. However, what will ultimately make or break this album depends solely upon whether or not they decide to merge the Watershed elements with their Deliverance/Still-Life/Blackwater Park sound. I know some fans were turned off by the last album given the fact that it didn't sound reminiscient of the aforementioned albums. Ghost Reveries was a step into a more simplistic direction, whereas Watershed took on a new musical horizon entirely. Hope they pull off something stunning and combine all the era's, essentially.

We'll see...time shall tell.
26.05.2011 - 23:18
Andresopeth
What a feeling i feel!
I simply can't wait, the only thing i don't like is the quantity of songs, never before an Opeth album had ten songs.
But they would be amazing for sure
26.05.2011 - 23:22
DorianGray
Mhm I do like it !
Hope this will be another great album
----
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful."
26.05.2011 - 23:28
lucjeuken
Account deleted
I'm looking really forward to this release. I'm very curious about what they're going to bring with this album. They will deliver quality music for sure. The question is just in what way.
26.05.2011 - 23:46
MetalSpider
Definitely lookin forward to some new Opeth.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
26.05.2011 - 23:56
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
"It's different from the stuff we've done before"

hmmm i really hope not..
26.05.2011 - 23:57
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Andresopeth on 26.05.2011 at 23:18

What a feeling i feel!
I simply can't wait, the only thing i don't like is the quantity of songs, never before an Opeth album had ten songs.
But they would be amazing for sure

Ten songs... Tenth album... hope this album will be a "ten" also

I suspect some of those songs are short interdules anyway (I can bet money that folklore is at least)
27.05.2011 - 02:28
Raziel X
27.05.2011 - 02:44
ryche76
I have a feeling this will be an alum of the highest quality. Looking forward to this album immensely to hear what Michael has written and produced.
27.05.2011 - 03:05
Sworn
Written by Storchillarn on 26.05.2011 at 22:53

I have a feeling a lot of so called fans are going to hate this release. =)

I'm sure of that too.
27.05.2011 - 03:55
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Jiri on 26.05.2011 at 22:52

If you want to be cool and progressive, you'd better mention the word: "Marrow" in your album tracklist somewhere.

Agalloch lol
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
27.05.2011 - 04:33
Metal_4Ever
Wish it will be good
27.05.2011 - 04:48
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Hmm.. Let's hope it's a good one really. The soung names doesn't convince me that much.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
27.05.2011 - 05:03
BlankFile
"but it's different from the stuff we've done before"

Now this one gave me a little bit of the chills... But still anxious to hear it!
27.05.2011 - 05:48
silenius
ME GUSTA
27.05.2011 - 07:27
Skøllgrim
Northern
There's both a track titled Folklore and another one called Marrow of the earth.... Certinly brings Agalloch's Pale folklore and Marrow of the spirit, to my mind.
Looking really forward to a new Opeth release, I doubt it'll be dissapointing, they never are.
27.05.2011 - 07:47
koob
I can't wait, Opeth always deliver.
27.05.2011 - 08:16
Fallen
Bleh another boring opeth album blown out of porportion
27.05.2011 - 08:22
Grody2themax
Akerfeldt has always done what he wanted with his music. Meaning I don't think he particularly cares much about conforming to the genre, so I'm sure this album will be an interesting manifestation of his. However, I guess I sort of connect to the older albums like MAYH more than the newer Opeth. But I'm definetely still anticipating this release even though I have highly doubt I'll enjoy it as much as early Opeth.
27.05.2011 - 10:34
advent
Written by Dark Blood on 27.05.2011 at 04:48

Hmm.. Let's hope it's a good one really. The soung names doesn't convince me that much.

Yup , it's sound so cheesy , lets hope it's just another masterpiece.
27.05.2011 - 10:57
Sentenced Odiin
gothic.moorion@gmail.com
Nepenthe...
----
Life has given me much, maybe taken more...
27.05.2011 - 11:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Can't wait!
----
27.05.2011 - 12:39
Arcticus
Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 08:16

Getting a bit ahead of yourself there buddy the first snippets of info have only just been released, the reaction so far has been mild and mixed, and yet you still feel the need to bring the negativity. Let's hear the music before we call it boring shall we

Anyway...personally I haven't disliked any Opeth album yet, but I kind of hope they don't pursue the Watershed direction - it seems a little limiting compared to the endless potential of their earlier releases. Whatever the case, I'm sure I won't be disappointed
27.05.2011 - 14:13
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Not too worried about the song titles as long as they turn out to be good songs.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.05.2011 - 15:35
Fallen
Written by Arcticus on 27.05.2011 at 12:39

Getting a bit ahead of yourself there buddy the first snippets of info have only just been released, the reaction so far has been mild and mixed, and yet you still feel the need to bring the negativity. Let's hear the music before we call it boring shall we

Anyway...personally I haven't disliked any Opeth album yet, but I kind of hope they don't pursue the Watershed direction - it seems a little limiting compared to the endless potential of their earlier releases. Whatever the case, I'm sure I won't be disappointed

Maybe a bit of negativity in there but mainly my opinion. Idk what it is about the band but I have not liked a single opeth album yet. Yes they make great music, yes Mikael is a great musician and yes blah blah blah. But I just can't get into them. Everything I hear in their music is stuff I've heard before. Sure the lyrics are different but I hear no innovation nothing new just same old boring death metal I've listen to Watershed like 8 times and each time takes days because I get so bored with it. Just my opinion again, I don't wish to summon team Nerdrage on me.
27.05.2011 - 17:01
malaikat
Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 15:35

Written by Arcticus on 27.05.2011 at 12:39

Maybe a bit of negativity in there but mainly my opinion. Idk what it is about the band but I have not liked a single opeth album yet. Yes they make great music, yes Mikael is a great musician and yes blah blah blah. But I just can't get into them. Everything I hear in their music is stuff I've heard before. Sure the lyrics are different but I hear no innovation nothing new just same old boring death metal I've listen to Watershed like 8 times and each time takes days because I get so bored with it. Just my opinion again, I don't wish to summon team Nerdrage on me.

Concerning your first (and partly second) post: if you don't like the band, just say "I don't like them and I couldn't care less for a new release". In that way, you express your subjective opinion. By saying "another Opeth album blown out of proportion" you imply that their albums are objectively bad or over-rated by their listeners, which is not true.
In another words, if it is YOUR OPINION, than say it like it's your opinion, don't just bash the band in general because you can't get into it.

Hits total: 8456 | This month: 16