What is your favorite album by Tool?

Lateralus
Ænima
10,000 Days
Undertow

Total votes: 47
14.06.2011 - 21:58
king_matt
Wow, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been created yet. Anyways, what is your favorite album by progressive rock/metal band Tool (not including Opiate EP)?

I personally like Ænima the best because it has some if their best songs, including my personal favorite Stinkfist. Enough with my silly opinion, what is yours?
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
14.06.2011 - 22:01
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Aenima is my favourite; I listened to it for the first time 10 years ago and it never got old. i still love it!
15.06.2011 - 01:01
JD
Account deleted
Aenima, i just can't get bored of the first 3 songs.
16.06.2011 - 09:01
ToMegaTherion
Either Aenima or 10000days, undertow is average and Lateralus has just never really captured by ears for some reason. People rave about it and iv never been able to get into it. Probably just because there are a couple of favorites on it 10000days, but the same could be said for aenima
16.06.2011 - 11:42
Metal_4Ever
Well I think that Lateralus is the best album for Tool and that album has my best song for their "Schism"
25.06.2011 - 05:26
Pyramid God
Its easily Lateralus for me. I love the atmosphere and its one of those albums that plays best from start to finish.
27.06.2013 - 19:29
whatsacow
Aenima has Eulogy, which is the fucking greatest song they've ever recorded, but Lateralus as an album is just breath taking.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
28.06.2013 - 06:58
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by ToMegaTherion on 16.06.2011 at 09:01

Either Aenima or 10000days, undertow is average and Lateralus has just never really captured by ears for some reason.

I felt this way since I got into Tool in 2006, I started liking Lateralus it two years ago or so. Now I also think Undertow is a lot better than I thought and 10000 days not as good as I thought.
Only thing that hasn't changed is that Aenima is the best album for me, and would be even better without "Third Eye" as the ending song.
29.06.2013 - 18:10
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I think I voted for Lateralus before, but now I'd choose 10,000 Days. I love the Wings for Marie/10,000 Days duo.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.07.2013 - 16:40
ToMegaTherion
Written by Unhealer on 28.06.2013 at 06:58

Written by ToMegaTherion on 16.06.2011 at 09:01

Either Aenima or 10000days, undertow is average and Lateralus has just never really captured by ears for some reason.

I felt this way since I got into Tool in 2006, I started liking Lateralus it two years ago or so. Now I also think Undertow is a lot better than I thought and 10000 days not as good as I thought.
Only thing that hasn't changed is that Aenima is the best album for me, and would be even better without "Third Eye" as the ending song.

Yeah Aenima is hard to go past for sure. But thats not anything against the others. It think they are consistently a very good band. And even undertow isnt a bad album at all, its just for me its a class below their more mature work. :-? and yet ill go for Opiate as being in a similar class to much of their work... but its not an "album" so disqualifies it from this discussion.
10.07.2013 - 10:51
mz
I've just listened to Lateralus properly and it is my all time favorite album now.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
10.07.2013 - 13:43
Reza
I've never been a big fan of them but Lateralus is really a good album!
01.08.2013 - 14:28
Lethrokai
It will have to be 10,000 Days for me.

I'll be honest, I found Aenima to be pretty average overall. A few genuinely good songs (Aenima, Stinkfist) sprinkled atop some of the least memorable tracks Tool has ever put out.
As for Lateralus, this album was better but I find that whenever I listen to it, I start at Schism, listen all the way through to Lateralus, then stop. Thus, I couldn't care for more than half of the album.

10,000 Days however is the only album of theirs that has gripped me from beginning to end. It just has so much more to offer. More excitement, more emotion, more... well... more "umph."
(As you can tell, I'm not exactly sure what it is that grips me so much more about 10,000 Days - all I know is that it's the one Tool album that I will always find myself returning to for another listen)
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.