Metal Storm logo
The Second Big Four Of US Thrash Metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 09.08.2011 - 16:14
Forget about the ORIGINAL big four of thrash. There are tons of amazing thrash bands from the US who are on level with the big four.
My new big four:
Exodus, Testament, Overkill, Death Angel
12.10.2013 - 13:38
Basshead69
New bucket list item, see the big eight in concert,
Death Angel, Testament, Exodus, Overkill, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, and Metallica. You can argue about the order later.

Trashapocalypse. Let's make it happen people.
12.10.2013 - 20:45
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Any list that lists Testament as a great thrash band can't be serious. They recoded ONE great album in 1987 and that's it.
12.10.2013 - 21:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Daniell on 12.10.2013 at 20:45

Any list that lists Testament as a great thrash band can't be serious. They recoded ONE great album in 1987 and that's it.

all albums till Ritual are good albums, comparing to after Ritual
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.10.2013 - 22:45
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Bad English on 12.10.2013 at 21:35

Dream on.
12.10.2013 - 23:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Daniell on 12.10.2013 at 22:45

Written by Bad English on 12.10.2013 at 21:35

Dream on.

They are good defenetly better then Slayer 90's and Anthrax and Metal Church and so on
----

apos;'
[image]
13.10.2013 - 00:19
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Bad English on 12.10.2013 at 23:01

They are good defenetly better then Slayer 90's and Anthrax and Metal Church and so on

My farts are better than Testament past "The New Order".
13.10.2013 - 03:50
Demonmayonnaise
Written by Daniell on 13.10.2013 at 00:19

I would like to hear these farts...
13.10.2013 - 04:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Agreed with Daniell just one great album by Testament and that's The Legacy and The New Order is only half good and everything after that is mediocre to crap
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2013 - 12:36
JohnDoe
Account deleted
The concept of the Big 4 of US thrash was never about music quality in the first place, it was about popularity and those 4 thrash bands (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax) were the most popular back then. It was like a publicity stunt, to draw more attention on those 4 and sell more records.
13.10.2013 - 15:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 13.10.2013 at 12:36

The concept of the Big 4 of US thrash was never about music quality in the first place, it was about popularity and those 4 thrash bands (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax) were the most popular back then. It was like a publicity stunt, to draw more attention on those 4 and sell more records.

Indeed. I really don't get why many people have such a hard time grasping that concept.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2013 - 15:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Non of BIG 4 realised good albums after 90's only Metallica from 1th till and included Black , same goes for Megadeth , but Slayer and Anthax Testamet each albums till Law is betetr then Abthrax and Slayer

Daniel - I have a fealing you post those posts to piss ppl of and ''my farts'' is not argument
I remeber deadsoulman once in 2005 banned member for posting such argumet for 2 weeks, same did Wrathchild when someone posted ''this album :puke: sucks .... guy lost perms to post for 2 weeks
----

apos;'
[image]
14.10.2013 - 07:47
UPDIRNS
The 2nd Big Four would definitely be Exodus, Testament, Flotsam & Jetsam and Death Angel.

That's assuming we're talking about old school bands. Evile, Havok, Warbringer and Savage Messiah would be the new big four for me.
15.10.2013 - 00:21
blacktooth85
Written by Daniell on 13.10.2013 at 00:19

I like how your trying to talk shit on Testament like they're some bullshit band or something, when in fact they're one of the most respected and talented bands in all of thrash metal. If you don't like them that's cool, but you don't have to be ignorant about it.
15.10.2013 - 00:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by blacktooth85 on 15.10.2013 at 00:21

and talented bands in all of thrash metal.

If they are they certainly haven't shown that after The New Order. And on The New Order on only about half of the album. The only album that showed their talent and was truly great was The Legacy.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2013 - 01:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by UPDIRNS on 14.10.2013 at 07:47

The 2nd Big Four would definitely be Exodus, Testament, Flotsam & Jetsam and Death Angel.

That's assuming we're talking about old school bands. Evile, Havok, Warbringer and Savage Messiah would be the new big four for me.

yes but Evil is english band and BIG 4 is american, so it would not work
----

apos;'
[image]
15.10.2013 - 04:23
UPDIRNS
Good point you are right. Then I'll sub in Lich King for them.
15.10.2013 - 10:36
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

I like how your trying to talk shit on Testament like they're some bullshit band or something

I'm not trying, I AM talking shit on Testament.

when in fact they're one of the most respected and talented bands in all of thrash metal.

They showed their amazing talent on "The Legacy", and then apparently lost it, or stopped showing it.
The fact that they are respected doesn't make their music better.

If you don't like them that's cool, but you don't have to be ignorant about it.

I used to be a massive fan of Testament since early 1988 when I heard "The Legacy". I lapped up all their releases up to and including "Low". And then it struck me how boring, forced and uninspired they are. I went back to their older releases and saw it almost everywhere. I rejected everything except "The Legacy" and some songs on "The New Order". I'm sorry it bothers you, but Testament are the most shitty out of all famous thrash bands.
16.10.2013 - 07:24
blacktooth85
Written by Daniell on 15.10.2013 at 10:36

I like how your trying to talk shit on Testament like they're some bullshit band or something

I'm not trying, I AM talking shit on Testament.

when in fact they're one of the most respected and talented bands in all of thrash metal.

They showed their amazing talent on "The Legacy", and then apparently lost it, or stopped showing it.
The fact that they are respected doesn't make their music better.

If you don't like them that's cool, but you don't have to be ignorant about it.

I used to be a massive fan of Testament since early 1988 when I heard "The Legacy". I lapped up all their releases up to and including "Low". And then it struck me how boring, forced and uninspired they are. I went back to their older releases and saw it almost everywhere. I rejected everything except "The Legacy" and some songs on "The New Order". I'm sorry it bothers you, but Testament are the most shitty out of all famous thrash bands.

Yeah OK... Albums like "The Gathering", "Formation of Damnation", "Low" and even "Dark Roots of Earth" are miles better than anything that the "Big 4" has done since the early 90s...
20.10.2013 - 00:47
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well like we've said about a hundred times already... there is only one big 4 and the concept of it implies that there can't be any other ''big 4'' since its about popularity
and nothing else. But if you're talking about the second tier bands that would be next in line... IMO it would definitely be bands like, Testament, Kreator, Exodus, Overkill, Sodom and Pantera.

Also @Marcel: I don't get your hate of Testament's Practice What You Preach and Souls Of Black... really good albums, and The New Order is just as good as Legacy In fact I prefer the later. But whatever.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.07.2023 - 17:20
Metal God
Contributor
Written by Basshead69 on 12.10.2013 at 13:38

New bucket list item, see the big eight in concert,
Death Angel, Testament, Exodus, Overkill, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, and Metallica. You can argue about the order later.

Trashapocalypse. Let's make it happen people.

I'd kill to go see it, if only Tom Araya is ready enough to come out of retirement.