‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34]
Users visited: 752  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by RavenEffect on 21.07.2014 at 00:57
Written by Guest on 20.07.2014 at 06:45

How is it?

I honestly didnt knew what to think until 5 or 6 spins. It's a hard album to grasp, even for someone who considers himself a Prog fanboy. I really enjoyed some songs a LOT and found others just ok. There was a fair ammount of unnecessary uses of Prog jams and way too much "arabic"-influenced melodies that were all over "Damnation" so there was no need of repeating some of those elements. Its not a Metal album by any means, but this was already confirmed. Its softer than anything Opeth has ever done before, I found it way less atmospheric and heavy than Damnation and Heritage and its probably the less dark Opeth album with some amazing melodies (Eternal Rains, Elysian and obviously, River) but, sadly, a really bad song in "Goblin" which is pretty much a 4 minute typical Prog instrumental with some obvious "Alan Parsons Electro-influenced rythms blending into Keyboard-driven Camel jams". It adds absolutelly nothing to the album since those elements are all over the other songs of Pale Communion so I felt it was 4 minutes wasted since the song isnt even that good and, certainly, sounds absolutely nothing like Opeth.

"River" was a big "DAFUQ?" moment. I found myself with jaw opened the first time I've listened to it and I googled everything to check if it was some sord of a Boston or Creedence cover. The first half sounds like Thick as Brick into Allman Bros and it progresses from this cheerful happy song with some dark lyrics into a classic Opethian sound.

My main issue with this one is that it sounds a lot more like a Steven Wilson's "The Raven that Refused to Sing Part.2" than an actual Opeth album. It has some Opeth moments but everything is way too much Keyboard-driven with not much emphasis on the guitars and drums. Sucks that Opeth is into this Prog Rock revivalism since theres way too many bands doing it and they're losing what made them special in the first place.

Page 34 of 34

Fallen Ghost
Proghead

24.03.2015 at 23:19
Intronaut - Valley Of Smoke. At first listen I thought it sounded cool but nothing more than that. Listened through three times now and it seems it's a grower, sounds pretty good!
----
"Even we don't know anything about theory and stuff....but this is a combination of lydian mode and phrygian dominant...and ends with a diminished run starting on F"

- Fredrik Åkesson, guitarplayer of Opeth
Araki

25.03.2015 at 01:14
Twilight of the Idols - Gorgoroth.
Joodicator

25.03.2015 at 03:08
Flukt - Holocaust
Raw dirty black metal EP. But not in the good way.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
MetCanMeshAnt

25.03.2015 at 03:51
Orgasmatron - Motorhead
Just needed something really loud.....and I wanted to see if the grass would die....
no one

28.03.2015 at 06:43
Black flag - my war
INDK - kill whitey
----
hipster fag
Joodicator

28.03.2015 at 17:56
HeKz - Caerus
Seeing them tonight, so I guess you could call this preparation. Even though I've seen them twice before.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
Bad English
Masterchief

28.03.2015 at 22:28
Warrant - Under The Influence
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
ANGEL REAPER

29.03.2015 at 21:57
So yeah i just listened to Sarcofago - The Laws of Scourge. i kinda like this album! yeah totally dig it ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
Bad English
Masterchief

Today at 01:21
Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
deadone
Mainstream Poser

Today at 01:56
-Aborted - The Archaic Abattoir

They never topped this one! Superb blend of brutal death, melodic death and metalcore.

-Opeth - Still Life

Enjoyable as a nice mellow album when work gets hard!

-Nuclear Assault - Handle With Care

Getting hyped for new EP!

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34]

Login or register to post here.