Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite American Genre

Poll

What is you your favorite american genre?

American Thrash Metal
American Death Metal
Other
American Power Metal
American Heavy Metal
American Progressive Metal
American Alternative Metal
American Metalcore

Total votes: 90
13.09.2011 - 05:46
Metal_4Ever
What's your favorite american genre? I mean what's the genre that your favorite American metal band play it?
Well I picked up the most-known American genres.
My favorite is American Power, I really like Kamelot and Iced Earth!
so how 'bout you?
13.09.2011 - 23:47
Guib
Thrash Talker
Mine's clearly Thrash Metal, I mean just look at the scene, what else do you want ? Theres a hundred of American Thrash Metal bands... and some are among my favorites

Just to name a few
- Slayer
- Toxic Holocaust
- Exodus
- Skeletonwitch
- Vektor
- Overkill
- Death Angel
- Forbidden
- Lääz Rockit
- Testament
- Anacrusis
(...)

Its a kickass scene IMO. One of the best worldwide. and BTW Metal_4ever, I don't think that the most-known American Genre is Power lol its really Thrash dude... I mean just the big four is known since the 80's and that world wide, Im not quite sure Kamelot is known by everyone even if they're hella mainstream.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
13.09.2011 - 23:51
Mattybu
American thrash bands are just great... Megadeth, Metallica, Testament, Exodus, and of course the mighty Slayer are among my favourites. Obviously they're all well known but they do their shit right!... Well, *did their shit right for most... All of them. Well maybe except Exodus, their newest album was surprisingly tight.
13.09.2011 - 23:52
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Mattybu on 13.09.2011 at 23:51

American thrash bands are just great... Megadeth, Metallica, Testament, Exodus, and of course the mighty Slayer are among my favourites. Obviously they're all well known but they do their shit right!... Well, *did their shit right for most... All of them. Well maybe except Exodus, their newest album was surprisingly tight.

Fuck yeah it was tight ! OMG, I loved it... also the new Overkill was tight man, you gotta love Ironbound.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
13.09.2011 - 23:56
Mattybu
Written by Guib on 13.09.2011 at 23:52

Fuck yeah it was tight ! OMG, I loved it... also the new Overkill was tight man, you gotta love Ironbound.

Agreed 100%! I think it might have actually been their best, I just didn't post them as a favourite cause I haven't really gotten into their older material but Ironbound was awesome.
14.09.2011 - 00:00
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Mattybu on 13.09.2011 at 23:56

Agreed 100%! I think it might have actually been their best, I just didn't post them as a favourite cause I haven't really gotten into their older material but Ironbound was awesome.

Well if you're interested in older material by the band, You should check out ''The Years Of Decay'' and ''Horrorscope''... simply awesome
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.09.2011 - 00:03
Mattybu
Written by Guib on 14.09.2011 at 00:00

Well if you're interested in older material by the band, You should check out ''The Years Of Decay'' and ''Horrorscope''... simply awesome

I have dude... I never really got the amount of spine tingling goodness Ironbound gave me.
14.09.2011 - 00:05
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Mattybu on 14.09.2011 at 00:03

Written by Guib on 14.09.2011 at 00:00

I have dude... I never really got the amount of spine tingling goodness Ironbound gave me.

Aww ! Though I must admit Ironbound is sick shit ! its surprising to see that even after that many albums, a band that old can come up with such a crazy album.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.09.2011 - 00:08
Mattybu
Written by Guib on 14.09.2011 at 00:05

Aww ! Though I must admit Ironbound is sick shit ! its surprising to see that even after that many albums, a band that old can come up with such a crazy album.

Especially considering Overkill never released much similar to Ironbound it was a very pleasant surprise. Some of these bands are still going strong, so that's nice to see for sure!
14.09.2011 - 00:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Thanks for putting an end to the nested quotes.

as for me, other.

at present, i'm still fired up about the Sludge/Stoner movement here. Some great stuff in an area that has a little more room for experimentation or development.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.09.2011 - 00:41
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by BitterCOld on 14.09.2011 at 00:21

as for me, other.

at present, i'm still fired up about the Sludge/Stoner movement here. Some great stuff in an area that has a little more room for experimentation or development.

So I guess that means your vote goes for Alternative ?? or you're just mentioning
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.09.2011 - 00:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guib on 14.09.2011 at 00:41

as for me, other.

So I guess that means your vote goes for Alternative ?? or you're just mentioning

my vote is, as stated, "other"... due to a snafu with the vote system (hit "vote" without picking an option shows that i have voted even though there is no +1 tallied)
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.09.2011 - 00:45
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by BitterCOld on 14.09.2011 at 00:43

Written by Guib on 14.09.2011 at 00:41

as for me, other.

my vote is, as stated, "other"... due to a snafu with the vote system (hit "vote" without picking an option shows that i have voted even though there is no +1 tallied)

Oh ok, but I was wondering if you're fired up about the sludge/stoner shouldn't that fall into Alternative ?? Or maybe Im wrong IDK, I always thought it was alternative metal, and don't get me wrong, I love sludge
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.09.2011 - 00:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guib on 14.09.2011 at 00:45

Oh ok, but I was wondering if you're fired up about the sludge/stoner shouldn't that fall into Alternative ?? Or maybe Im wrong IDK, I always thought it was alternative metal, and don't get me wrong, I love sludge

it is its own separate category.

Alternative Metal, to me, is two things. Round these parts it is a blanket term for a forum, just like "Extreme" or "Melodic" . A general categorization. Alternative Metal is also, to me, stuff like Jane's Addiction.

Sludge and Stoner are essentially different subgenres, just with a chunk of crossbreeding going on. we lump 'em together for convenience for the awards, so i did likewise here.

my guess is M4E was just not particularly familiar with those genres/subgenres and just lumped that entire Forum section under one heading.
----

14.09.2011 - 00:56
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by BitterCOld on 14.09.2011 at 00:54

Written by Guib on 14.09.2011 at 00:45

it is its own separate category.

Alternative Metal, to me, is two things. Round these parts it is a blanket term for a forum, just like "Extreme" or "Melodic" . A general categorization. Alternative Metal is also, to me, stuff like Jane's Addiction.

Sludge and Stoner are essentially different subgenres, just with a chunk of crossbreeding going on. we lump 'em together for convenience for the awards, so i did likewise here.

my guess is M4E was just not particularly familiar with those genres/subgenres and just lumped that entire Forum section under one heading.

Oh ok, well anyways, Sludge/Stoner is awesome
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.09.2011 - 01:08
IronAngel
The first thing I thought of was gothic/alt-country. That's something distinctly American and quite great. But I guess within the confines of the Metal Arena, I will vote Other and aim it at sludge. Eyehategod, Down, Acid Bath etcetera. I don't mind the modern, more atmospheric stuff either. But especially blunt and honest redneck sludge sounds so very American to me.
14.09.2011 - 01:14
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
I voted progressive, I mostly listen to European stuff but there's a nice chunk of American prog I'm interested in, besides the European ofc. Two leading bands from the genre are not from my continent anyway (DT and SyX).
----
7.0 means the album is good
14.09.2011 - 02:18
Berserk
I mainly listen to European Metal, but, I do love Dream Theater, Megadeth, Manowar, etc.. Tough, but i'll go with Prog.
----
Fear the Old Blood
14.09.2011 - 02:36
Guib
Thrash Talker
Go For thrash you weirdos !!! Its an American Thread WAKE UP !! lol
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.09.2011 - 02:49
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 14.09.2011 at 02:36

lol, but don't forget the death metal scene like in Florida, NY, and Chicago...
14.09.2011 - 02:50
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 14.09.2011 at 02:49

Ya its good but comon, the states deliver such a good thrash scene O.o ! Thrash was born there
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.09.2011 - 02:54
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 14.09.2011 at 02:50

Written by Guest on 14.09.2011 at 02:49

Ya its good but comon, the states deliver such a good thrash scene O.o ! Thrash was born there

I know man, I know! but I like both movements, death and thrash, btw did you had the chance to watch Get Thrashed?
14.09.2011 - 02:57
Void Eater
Account deleted

It's a little known fact that Ironbound is among my favorite metal albums. The first two songs easily rival the title track to MoP, which is no small feat.
14.09.2011 - 06:08
Fredd
Account deleted
"Nu Post-Progressive Extreme Depressive Thrashcore," pioneered by such great bands as "The Chicken Dies At The End" and "A Piece Of Toilet Paper Went Up My Ass."
14.09.2011 - 09:12
JCJen7
Written by Guest on 14.09.2011 at 06:08

"Nu Post-Progressive Extreme Depressive Thrashcore," pioneered by such great bands as "The Chicken Dies At The End" and "A Piece Of Toilet Paper Went Up My Ass."

are you a little bitter (hehe) about being banned from the SB?

anyways, I can't decide between american death or thrash metal. I think I am leaning towards thrash, but i will hold off my vote for awhile.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
14.09.2011 - 15:26
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by JCJen7 on 14.09.2011 at 09:12

anyways, I can't decide between american death or thrash metal. I think I am leaning towards thrash, but i will hold off my vote for awhile.

Go for Thrash man !
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.09.2011 - 19:10
Fredd
Account deleted

It's a legitimate genre, man. And I'm a big fan.
14.09.2011 - 19:36
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Bay Area Thrash metal scene was probably the most successful, creative and awe-bringing metal scene to ever emerge in America, if not in the whole world.
So definitely going with thrash.

Btw are there really, really any good US black metal?
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
14.09.2011 - 19:37
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.09.2011 at 19:10

It's a legitimate genre, man. And I'm a big fan.

Hahaha

Good one!
14.09.2011 - 19:43
JD
Account deleted
Written by Iron Nostarion on 14.09.2011 at 19:36

Btw are there really, really any good US black metal?

Yes, try Wolves In The Throne Room, and Absu.