05. Crying For Death
06. Spectrum Of Death
07. Scars
08. Beyond The Gates Of Hell

Top 20 albums of 1988: 13

Additional info
Produced by Eric Greif
Engineered by Al Pangeliron
Recorded and mixed at Opus Recording (later known as Wave Digital), Illinois, USA

It was originally released on a Mexican label in 1988 but has been reissued on the new Grind Core label. It was also released on Edge Records in 1989 as 'Lock Up Your Children'

Found in 33 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 43   Visited by: 631 users
29.10.2011 - 04:47
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Amazing i wish i could get my hands on a copy
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.10.2011 - 05:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
No kidding. I'm assuming there's some remastered editions kicking around somewhere.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.10.2011 - 09:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.10.2011 at 05:04

No kidding. I'm assuming there's some remastered editions kicking around somewhere.

Nope,
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.10.2011 - 13:10
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.10.2011 at 05:04

Troy, you're Necrophagia's new frontman now?!
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
29.10.2011 - 18:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2011 at 09:39
Nope,

Really? Someone should get on that. Seriously.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.10.2011 - 18:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by vezzy on 29.10.2011 at 13:10
Troy, you're Necrophagia's new frontman now?!

Nope, just back to bein' mah old self.

He stole my name. >>
----
29.10.2011 - 18:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.10.2011 at 18:32

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2011 at 09:39
Nope,

Really? Someone should get on that. Seriously.

Naah, not worth remastering. Sound is good as it is. maybe a reissue for people like you who don't have the original one or the r-release (whcih apparently isn't authorized by the band) which was limited to 500.

And tbh all you're missing out on is a second rate and third tier thrash band which played some fun music but nothing groundmoving
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.10.2011 - 18:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Oh ya, sorry I meant reissue not remaster. I definitely don't think it needs changing in any way.

As for second-rate/third-tier, I definitely disagree. I prefer this to just about every other thrash release.
----
29.10.2011 - 18:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.10.2011 at 18:38

Oh ya, sorry I meant reissue not remaster. I definitely don't think it needs changing in any way.

As for second-rate/third-tier, I definitely disagree. I prefer this to just about every other thrash release.

I regard this together with Artillery - By Inheritance as the most overrated thrash releases EVER, Vektor doesn't even come close in that respect.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.10.2011 - 18:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2011 at 18:40
Artillery - By Inheritance

Another one of my favorites. It seems we aren't parallel when it comes to old school thrash.
----
29.10.2011 - 18:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.10.2011 at 18:41

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2011 at 18:40
Artillery - By Inheritance

Another one of my favorites. It seems we aren't parallel when it comes to old school thrash.

it's not that the albums are bad, but they are just sooooo middle f the road pedestrian and even more generic than the entire old school revivalist death metal scene.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.10.2011 - 18:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2011 at 18:42
it's not that the albums are bad, but they are just sooooo middle f the road pedestrian and even more generic than the entire old school revivalist death metal scene.

I haven't heard this album, (although I have heard little titbits of it here and there lol) but I have the feeling that if I did, I'd feel the same way as I did when I heard "Eternal Nightmare" by Vio-lence. Which is another album that is considered by many "thrash purists" as an underground/cult classic, but did absolutely nothing for me when I heard it. It was so one dimensional and generic, it bored me to tears!
29.10.2011 - 18:52
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2011 at 18:36

And tbh all you're missing out on is a second rate and third tier thrash band which played some fun music but nothing groundmoving

Imo, "Spectrum Of Death" is a good album, no more. Overrated nowadays, I would say.
I'd be able to find a copy for 200-300$ maybe and I can afford it, if I really want to get the album.
The only reason why I won't do it is I think the album doesn't worth such a high price for me, as I have better Thrash albums in my collection.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
29.10.2011 - 18:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.10.2011 at 18:51

I haven't heard this album, (although I have heard little titbits of it here and there lol) but I have the feeling that if I did, I'd feel the same way as I did when I heard "Eternal Nightmare" by Vio-lence. Which is another album that is considered by many "thrash purists" as an underground/cult classic, but did absolutely nothing for me when I heard it. It was so one dimensional and generic, it bored me to tears!

Eternal Nightmare is superior in all its aspect to this Morbid Saint one. The only reason it gets praised is that an original copy is extremely hard to find.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.10.2011 - 18:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2011 at 18:54
Eternal Nightmare is superior in all its aspect to this Morbid Saint one. The only reason it gets praised is that an original copy is extremely hard to find.

Well, I felt very underwhelmed when I heard that album... I was expecting it to be a lot better than it was, to be honest. But you're probably right, sometimes underground bands/releases become overrated because to some, obscure/hard to find automatically equates to "great"...
29.10.2011 - 18:59
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 29.10.2011 at 18:51

I prefer Morbid Saint by far to Vio-lence.
Vocals in Vio-lence are pussy cringeworthy crap and would spoil even the best Thrash music.
----
29.10.2011 - 19:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.10.2011 at 18:57

Well, I felt very underwhelmed when I heard that album... I was expecting it to be a lot better than it was, to be honest. But you're probably right, sometimes underground bands/releases become overrated because to some, obscure/hard to find automatically equates to "great"...

eternal Nightmare isn't really an underground/cult classic because Vio_lence were quite big back in the day and the album can still be found easily.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.10.2011 - 19:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2011 at 19:00
eternal Nightmare isn't really an underground/cult classic because Vio_lence were quite big back in the day and the album can still be found easily.

Well, it could still be classed as that, because compared to stuff like "Master Of Puppets", "Peace Sells", and even "The Legacy", it was underground and not as well known. It might not be a hard to find album like the Morbid Saint one, but it wasn't really commercially successful at all, so in that respect, it's more of an underground release, than a commercial one...
29.10.2011 - 19:06
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.10.2011 at 19:04

Well, it could still be classed as that, because compared to stuff like "Master Of Puppets", "Peace Sells", and even "The Legacy", it was underground and not as well known. It might not be a hard to find album like the Morbid Saint one, but it wasn't really commercially successful at all, so in that respect, it's more of an underground release, than a commercial one...

Agreed.
----
29.10.2011 - 19:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Underground, cult classic, whatever; I still think it's a kick-ass album and one of my all-time favorites when it comes to thrash.
----
29.10.2011 - 19:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.10.2011 at 19:04

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2011 at 19:00

Maybe it wasn't commercially succesful in the UK (which wouldn't surprise me at all cause the UK were always late in on the thrash game ) But Vio-lence sold like mad here in The Netherlands and also Germany and Belgium not as much as the bands you mentioned (but then again no-one matched them sales wise)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.10.2011 - 19:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.10.2011 at 19:08
Maybe it wasn't commercially succesful in the UK (which wouldn't surprise me at all cause the UK were always late in on the thrash game ) But Vio-lence sold like mad here in The Netherlands and also Germany and Belgium not as much as the bands you mentioned (but then again no-one matched them sales wise)

Well yes... at the time, I only bought British and US metal mags, and Vio-lence were always one of those bands that even if they were mentioned, it was a tiny article, not even a full page! Even "2nd tier" thrash bands like Testament, Overkill and Annihilator got far more coverage than Vio-lence...
12.12.2011 - 01:43
strade
Sorry, but Vio-lence SUCKED compared to this. Absolutely nothing menacing or memorable about Eternal Nightmare, it might aas well be the same riff and vocal part for 40 straight minutes. Then again, I prefer the more noisy, Germanesque thrash sound over the polished Bay Area style, so that shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

Also, Vio-lence is nowhere near undergound, though (*disclaimer*) that has nothing to do with why I don't like them.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
13.05.2012 - 05:11
strade
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.10.2011 at 19:07

Underground, cult classic, whatever; I still think it's a kick-ass album and one of my all-time favorites when it comes to thrash.

Right there with you, buddy. I almost ripped my fucking head off headbanging to this shit on more than one occasion.

BTW, both this and Destruction System have just been remastered and released in a three disc set with a live DVD. It just went up for sale yesterday, and it's bound to sell out fast. Anyone gotten it yet besides me? Cannot. Wait. For it show up.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
24.07.2013 - 11:49
Rating: 7
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I am glad seiing people here playing this album a bit down. at first when i saw it's rating and it's style i hoped for a masterpiece but nothing close to that came. a generic album with almost no "perfect moments". not bad but also not something great.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
20.02.2014 - 02:15
Rulatore
Written by RavenKing on 29.10.2011 at 18:59

Vocals in Vio-lence are pussy cringeworthy crap and would spoil even the best Thrash music.

This, one hundred times this. I like everything on "Eternal Nightmare", but those vocals are unbearble, holy fuck.

Also, at first I couldn't believe it was Rob Flynn on that record.

On topic: This album is very good.
06.03.2014 - 17:30
Rating: 6
pkillerjp
4th tier thrash, played at blazing speeds. Almost makes Dark Angel sound good, but not quite. As for Eternal Nightmare, it's nothing spectacular but I'd definitely prefer it over this, the riffs are quite a bit more stand out.
05.06.2015 - 01:39
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Enjoyable, but faaaaar from being a classic. Definitely not one of my favorites.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
22.04.2017 - 08:48
cynicoren
Dunno if you guys are still looking for this album, but it is available through Amazon UK/De in reasonable prices (from 13 pounds). It was re-issued in 2016.
03.08.2018 - 11:04
Rating: 9
metalriff
Though only by a narrow margin, i think this album surpasses both Exodus' and Testament's debut. I agree it came out later than them both but this album sure needs more votes
----
1001 Metal albums to hear before you die
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6531

Hits total: 14116 | This month: 75