Metal Storm logo
Tristania

Original post

Posted by Zeraphine, 18.05.2006 - 11:00
i searched and there was no topic for Tristania so here it is!

as many of you may know already Tristania's upcoming album is called Illumination and it's planned to be released sometime in september. any expectations?

i, personally, have no expectations because i know it'll be something different, as always, so i'm just waiting anxiously to be surprised.
11.12.2007 - 19:35
Bash'
:)
People any links or clips for the new vocalist?? I mean what are you judging her about, to fit Tristania's music or not, or it is an ex bands/projects she was in?

To me, I will like it if they made a change in the music, because as many of you said, latest album was just.... crappy! only one track I liked and nothing more !

I read the word Alternative wrote in their myspace they wrote it regarding their style! maybe they decided to change to their, that's in case this wasn't even before getting apart with Vebikke
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
01.04.2008 - 22:14
MetalShadow
Account deleted
I don't like the new vocalist. Her voice is ok but NOT for this band.:cry:
01.04.2008 - 23:07
Torelli
Written by Bash' on 11.12.2007 at 19:35

People any links or clips for the new vocalist?? I mean what are you judging her about, to fit Tristania's music or not, or it is an ex bands/projects she was in?

To me, I will like it if they made a change in the music, because as many of you said, latest album was just.... crappy! only one track I liked and nothing more !

I read the word Alternative wrote in their myspace they wrote it regarding their style! maybe they decided to change to their, that's in case this wasn't even before getting apart with Vebikke

Well, you have her offical presentation here:
http://www.youtube.com/watchv=aSAlMjqiwiU&feature=related

She sings some samples of "old" Tristania songs, but nothing that exclusivly written for her. To early to tell whatever she will fit in with the band or not though...
08.04.2008 - 19:15
Bash'
Written by Torelli on 01.04.2008 at 23:07

Written by Bash' on 11.12.2007 at 19:35

Well, you have her offical presentation here:
http://www.youtube.com/watchv=aSAlMjqiwiU&feature=related

She sings some samples of "old" Tristania songs, but nothing that exclusivly written for her. To early to tell whatever she will fit in with the band or not though...

Thank you Torelli, but the link haven't worked with me! I have youtubed Tristania but haven't found any!
----

11.04.2008 - 22:56
Torelli
Written by Bash' on 08.04.2008 at 19:15

Thank you Torelli, but the link haven't worked with me! I have youtubed Tristania but haven't found any!

I took a look at your profile before , and noticed that you haven't been online since 40 + days, thought you had left the site be now, but welcome back!

Regarding tristania...have you taken a look at their myspace? They have the presentation there too: http://www.myspace.com/tristania
13.04.2008 - 22:23
Bash'
Written by Torelli on 11.04.2008 at 22:56

I took a look at your profile before , and noticed that you haven't been online since 40 + days, thought you had left the site be now, but welcome back!

Regarding tristania...have you taken a look at their myspace? They have the presentation there too: http://www.myspace.com/tristania

That's better, thank you..... hmmm I really can't decide... maybe better to wait till the tracks which are written for her..... but to be honest when I saw her promo clip I was like UHH! ..... later on, like we'll see...

Will give them a chance... I hated their last two releases much... they were of the biggist letdowns for me....

PS: Actually I've been away for graduating & then for vacation that's why I've been away for so long
----

14.04.2008 - 14:16
Ernis
狼獾
I think the new singer Mary's fine.....she looks nice and pretty plus she does know how to sing with a fine strong voice...sure she doesn't have this beauty and tenderness as Vibeke did but all in all her voice does suit the music....waiting for their new stuff....plus I'd love to see how they're gonna handle the stuff from Beyond the Veil...I'd like to hear Mary singing this material since it's after all the crème d'la crème of Tristania's works....
15.04.2008 - 13:19
Torelli
@EverDreaM: Personaly, I find Ashes rather good. Sure, less symhonic, but more organic. Regarding Illumination, it was a disapointment for me to unfortunaly, but still worth listening to.

@Hobbit Viggo: If you want to hear Mary sinigning old tristania song, plenty of material has been uploaded
on youtube. People have filmed their shows in Athens and Moscow, among other places.
Some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv_K4w5O7OU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNokYeMqVS0
17.04.2008 - 00:41
Ernis
狼獾
Thanks Torelli.....
I dunno....in Beyond The Veil she seems to be attempting to sing like Vibeke but this isn't good at all...first of all...I personally expect her to sing in a newer way....Vibeke is classical singer and her voice register is different....they should make the song more suitable for Mary....mayb it's bout the quality as well...I dunno....these videos aren't the best...
World Of Glass was already ok...she did well....only I had a feeling she was singing out of key....but mayb 'twas bout the poor video quality.....
18.05.2008 - 21:53
Torelli
Written by Ernis on 17.04.2008 at 00:41

Thanks Torelli.....
I dunno....in Beyond The Veil she seems to be attempting to sing like Vibeke but this isn't good at all...first of all...I personally expect her to sing in a newer way....Vibeke is classical singer and her voice register is different....they should make the song more suitable for Mary....mayb it's bout the quality as well...I dunno....these videos aren't the best...
World Of Glass was already ok...she did well....only I had a feeling she was singing out of key....but mayb 'twas bout the poor video quality.....

I seem to have forgotten about this thread...

I agree with you, she seems a little forced. She handles the new material quite well though. Perhaps she is afraid to do the old songs her way beacuse the old material is highly treasured among fans? You now how conservative fans can be... I truly hope that she develop her own style though, that is less forced to, as to mimic another singer is a sure recipe for disaster.
18.05.2008 - 22:25
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 18.05.2008 at 21:53

I agree with you, she seems a little forced. She handles the new material quite well though. Perhaps she is afraid to do the old songs her way beacuse the old material is highly treasured among fans? You now how conservative fans can be... I truly hope that she develop her own style though, that is less forced to, as to mimic another singer is a sure recipe for disaster.

Ditto..this Mary's a nice hot girl and seems to be having rather lottsa fun on stage...but that's true...she should take Anette Olzon as a role model since the latter isn't attempting to copycat the late singer of her band...luckily I've already sensed potential in some songs....namely, Down sounds hell of a lot better with Mary than with Vibeke...it's just the character of the song which suits Mari more....
22.05.2008 - 23:05
ZombieDeath
My favourite Gothic band is Tristania & sure becuase of my princesse "Vibeke Stene" really she's an angel of music, and Mariangela "Mary" Demurtas i finf her so good but she's not for Tristania. i hope know more about Vibeke Stene. (i have read that she wanna realize her dreams to be a teacher.) but without her i can't imagine that i will hear any new Album oof them.
22.05.2008 - 23:07
ZombieDeath
the dance of Vibeke is exceptionel.i like it until death
22.05.2008 - 23:07
ZombieDeath
the dance of Vibeke is exceptionel.i like her until death
23.05.2008 - 20:21
Torelli
Written by Ernis on 18.05.2008 at 22:25

Written by Torelli on 18.05.2008 at 21:53

Ditto..this Mary's a nice hot girl and seems to be having rather lottsa fun on stage...but that's true...she should take Anette Olzon as a role model since the latter isn't attempting to copycat the late singer of her band...luckily I've already sensed potential in some songs....namely, Down sounds hell of a lot better with Mary than with Vibeke...it's just the character of the song which suits Mari more....

Personaly, I found that Sanguine Sky was mucher better when Mary sanged it instead of Vibeke. I think it all comes down to what material she sings. Perhaps she should stay away from "Widow's Weeds","Beyond the Veil" and perhaps "World of Glass". But I 'm confident that she can handel the stuff from "Ashes" and "Illumination". But if she develop her personality a litte further, perhaps she can handle WW and BtV to.

Somehow, I think this change of singer will lead to a bigger drop of fans, than when Morten Veland was fired. Especiall with the female fans I guess.
25.08.2008 - 00:11
i simply don't like the new tristania singer....did u see how she sings vibeke's songs!!:S they should change all tristania's style just to fit her voice:S the uniqueness of tristania is gonna disappear!!
----
What is the meaning of this conspiracy,
The conspiracy that God has offered me,
Clinging me to the hands of insanity,
Concealing me in a lifetime fond of misery.
26.08.2008 - 20:46
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 23.05.2008 at 20:21

But I 'm confident that she can handel the stuff from "Ashes" and "Illumination". But if she develop her personality a litte further, perhaps she can handle WW and BtV to.

Somehow, I think this change of singer will lead to a bigger drop of fans, than when Morten Veland was fired. Especiall with the female fans I guess.

It's "handle"...

Yeh I agree with you....the thing is that whereas she manages the stuff from later albums better, she doesn't seem to be adding any her personal characteristics to the older songs...seems as if she'd be aiming to be like Vibeke but this approach makes the music boring...I do hope that she will enhance her personality more in the future though....
26.08.2008 - 21:10
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Torelli on 23.05.2008 at 20:21

the thing is that whereas she manages the stuff from later albums better, she doesn't seem to be adding any her personal characteristics to the older songs...seems as if she'd be aiming to be like Vibeke but this approach makes the music boring...I do hope that she will enhance her personality more in the future though....

Yes you may be right that she should add more of her own personality to the songs from the Morten era, as then they would be come "her" songs too, and not only be in the shadow of Vibeke.

I think though, that it would be difficult for any singer to feel comfortable in a band fully until she has recorded a studio album with them, and can rightfully claim her place in the band's history. Until she does that, she's really just a touring musician in a sense.... I think in order to overcome the obvious pressure that intense fans of the Morten era will stick on her, those songs will be the hardest until the current fans totally accept her. Which, to me, can only be done with a great studio performance. I mean, honestly, I'll never know how the two compare, because the band never toured the US with Vibeke - and the chance to see them live right now is near zero for me. So the only way a lot of fans can make a judgement would really be through a studio effort. Youtube videos just are not enough for me - I need the personal experience
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
04.11.2008 - 22:29
Land Of Doom
Ok Tristania Is A Good Band They Sing My Favorites Genre Symphonic Gothic

They Are From the few band they keep Their Level from the first album to Know

Their last album shows the Level of the band
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
28.01.2009 - 01:49
Soliloquy
I dont think i ever mentioned this, so i'll do it now...

world of glass, i picked this album again(from my collection) after years, and i'm amazed! this album just kicks ass. too bad its the only one by tristania in my collection. are there any other tristnia albums that sound like world of glass? judging by the reviews and ratings, world of glass is kind of on its own.

and i think(in my opinion at least), the album is up there with sirenias 'an elixir for existence'. and i consider that as a master piece!
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
27.06.2009 - 18:26
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Same with me, I just put on BTV and WW after a loooong time and they seem even more brillaint to me now than they ever did. Gosh, why do I have such a hard time adjusting to the new Trsiatnia? I'm trying, but it just doesn't feel right....

Everybody keeps blabbing about maturing and evolving, but Tristania has lost so many members (an well, of course, gained new) that it just isn't the same band for me, because eash members gives a bit of himself in the band and in music and this change in the past three years was just to much for me to comprehend.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
29.06.2009 - 08:13
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
I am someone who values very highly an evolution and artistic change, so in a way I enjoy seeing a band change over time, as long as they stay true to their roots (gothic metal, innovation in the case of Tristania, etc.). But yes, when I still think of my favorite song from the band, the one that stops my mind each time, I always revert back to the band's Beyond The Veil release, and put on "A Sequel of Decay"; the beginning of it just kills me everytime... I do love their "Illumination" disc quite a bit in addition to their older works, but there is a magic in the 1995-2000 Norwegian gothic metal scene that only existed then, and is has yet to come back the same way. So in that sense, I agree with you that there is something intangible maybe that is no longer there, no matter how interesting the evolution was. A few bands (Trail Of Tears being one) continue to impress me, but they are a different sort of gothic metal really, so the comparison is not so accurate.

About the new Tristania, well, I'm anxious to hear something new, but I have my reservations and have detached myself a bit from it, to not set myself up for much of a disappointment?!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
01.07.2009 - 18:02
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Jason W. on 29.06.2009 at 08:13

About the new Tristania, well, I'm anxious to hear something new, but I have my reservations and have detached myself a bit from it, to not set myself up for much of a disappointment?!

That is a good tactic and I'm using it as well. I was really disappointed with Ashes, so I had no expectations for Illumination and I have to say I was surprised. I like Illumination, it has some really good tracks. And I'm anxious to hear the new album as well, cause I know the guys are giving themselves out at maximum as they can, but I just can't overcome the feeling this is like a totally new band for me, like it's starting from the beginning. Well, we'll see (and hear)

But oh errrr I dislike Maryangela singing some older tracks, she's good in singing songs from Ashes and Illumination, where Vibeke didn't use as much operatic voice, but argh... Angellore with Mary... I can't and can't push myself into liking it. :/
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
03.07.2009 - 17:40
Soliloquy
I'm not sure, but from my experience, gothic metal, or any metal that has a hint of gothic-ness to them, for some bizarre reason, possess a tendency for turning pop, or going a bit more radio friendly. take the following bands for example:
the gathering
theatre of tragedy
arguably nightwish
sirena
xandria
within tempation

and bunch of other bands...
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
03.07.2009 - 22:31
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
For me guys the great GOTHIC band who i loved called Tristania died when the Illumination album came out and secondary when Vibeke left
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
06.08.2009 - 20:08
Ernis
狼獾
First tolerable quality youtube videos of Mary Tristania... and they played a new song at this year's Wacken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DWcp5oh8fM&feature=related

Well....the new song doesn't seem to be bad...of course it ain't the magic of the first years when Morten and Vibeke both were on board but well, they had already changed style with their last two albums....

It is, however, somewhat regrettable that some old songs are not the same any more because Mary obviously has nothing to do there....at least she makes it up with her strong stage presence... "Beyond The Veil" ain't bad with her but in the end she gets too few moments to actually sing anything.....
11.09.2009 - 09:12
RyanH
Im a falling stone in a world of Glass,
Im a ticking bomb with a smiling Mask!

WORLD OF GLASS!
18.10.2009 - 05:59
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
They are usually hit or miss with me....when they miss it usually means they started good on a track and meandered for 4 mins and then ended with crap...but when they hit, they HIT
09.11.2009 - 02:07
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I loved the first three albums, they were all different, but in good ways. Ashes and Illumination were pretty disappointing, there is only one song off each that id call good.

Just a bit of trivia. I was wondering where they got their name from (you've got to admit, its pretty awesome)? So i looked it up and it turns out to be a local species of Water Gum local to me here in NSW, Australia. If you go to Wiki, it even has "This article is about the plant. For the gothic metal band, see Tristania (band)." LOL.
09.11.2009 - 23:32
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Dark Cornatus on 09.11.2009 at 02:07

I loved the first three albums, they were all different, but in good ways. Ashes and Illumination were pretty disappointing, there is only one song off each that id call good.

Just a bit of trivia. I was wondering where they got their name from (you've got to admit, its pretty awesome)? So i looked it up and it turns out to be a local species of Water Gum local to me here in NSW, Australia. If you go to Wiki, it even has "This article is about the plant. For the gothic metal band, see Tristania (band)." LOL.

Just type Tristania's sister band Sirenia's name into wikipedia and you find an article bout the sea animals....wonder what Morten Veland was thinking....