Metal Storm logo
How do you feel about live albums?

15.11.2011 - 05:31
Fade To Black
Do live albums serve a real purpose? Do you thing they're necessary? When are they acceptable? Any really worth listening to?

In general i feel they don't do any thing. Sure if they bring new life to the music like "Alive in Athens" or if they're a re imagining of the song like "S&M". Otherwise I find them useless. So what are your opinions?
15.11.2011 - 08:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Live albums are definitely a bonus if you're the kind of person who, for instance, never attends a gig. Live music has a way different atmosphere too, which can help or hinder a band so it's nice to see which bands are helped and which are hindered.

Also sometimes you get good conversation out of the vocalists. Dark Tranquillity and Opeth are two bands that immediately come to mind when I think of charismatic front men.

And then there are bands like Arch Enemy who are probably better off releasing live albums as opposed to studio full-lengths. They sound way better in front of an audience without all the plastic pumped into their music in the recording studio.

Of course, there are uncalled-for live albums, but there are also uncalled-for EPs and LPs and re-releases and remasters and tape versions...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.11.2011 - 21:55
Uldreth
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.11.2011 at 08:04

Live albums are definitely a bonus if you're the kind of person who, for instance, never attends a gig. Live music has a way different atmosphere too, which can help or hinder a band so it's nice to see which bands are helped and which are hindered.

Hmm I dunno, I have never attended a gig before, but I am not very fond of live albums. I understand it is probably a lot different, epic, enjoyable and whatever when you are actually there (obv) but when I hear it from a recording, it feels like they are just ruining the songs with it.

I want to listen to music most of the time, not a show and the band interrupting a song for some shoutouts and the crowd's noises etc. just retracts from its value for me. I haven't heard many live albums but the only one which really impressed me was Alive in Athens, that was really good aye.

I own an Iron Maiden live album (http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=32939&band_id=&bandname=Iron+Maiden this one) which I have gotten from some relatives before I was that much into more extreme forms of metal and well, this is a prime example of why I do NOT like live albums.
Bruce interrupting a melody line just to scream 'SCREAM FOR COSTA RICA' (or insert randomy city name here) is just so disruptive.
06.06.2012 - 05:20
Spankee
Watchin' them on DVDs are awesome than on CDs...
07.06.2012 - 01:55
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Unleashed in the East - Exciter

I believe in live albums
----
07.06.2012 - 10:02
Grey Wind
Written by Fade To Black on 15.11.2011 at 05:31

Do live albums serve a real purpose? Do you thing they're necessary? When are they acceptable? Any really worth listening to?

In general i feel they don't do any thing. Sure if they bring new life to the music like "Alive in Athens" or if they're a re imagining of the song like "S&M". Otherwise I find them useless. So what are your opinions?

I kinda feel the same about "live" albums, but would definitely watch a DVD, because I'm interested to see the band on stage.
If we're talking music-only, I'd stick with regular albums.
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
26.01.2013 - 02:09
squidrick420
It depends on how it was recorded, what songs they played, who it is, how it compares to the original, and quite a few factors. I love some live albums and some of them kinda piss me off, but i can say the same thing about studio releases. Basically, as long as its good then they serve a purpose. Another purpose for live albums is to compare their actual abilities as a band playing together versus in a studio on separate tracks.
28.01.2013 - 14:43
Jtbmetal123
I love live albums, some come with a Dvd and its even better to watch.