Metal Storm logo
What happens this 2011 with the low ratings in the Top 20?

Original post

Posted by Vikcen, 08.12.2011 - 01:46
What strange is being this year, it is remarkable the low ratings just this year in the top 20 of 2011, and more when you compare it with the trajectory of all tops 20 through of these 11 years here in MetalStorm, really poor.

Maybe the legion of Septicflesh's fanatics puting low ratings everywhere (647 votes got their last album so far, not bad, not bad)??? Or perhaps this is a really, really bad year for metal in true??? or simply it is logic when MetalStorm has grown in popularity year after year, therefore you get more users currently, and you know what it means respect to the variety of possible votes when you have more users (seems that each year from 2000 little by little has been dropping the album rating in general) Or what the fuck occurs with the music Metal currently, when you never has had so much variety as there is today in metal music in general (it has to be good, at least for me yes), but that on the other hand can be another reason that explain these low ratings currently (more variety, tastes more disperse, votes more disperse).

Well, what do you think really about this matter?
11.12.2011 - 17:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Vikcen on 11.12.2011 at 15:22
Hahah your metaphoric hint was also funny =) Well, yes it was fun hehe, but on the other hand, as idea, MS could display another alternative rating ("MS rating") on each album, it would be calculated automatically, only the most difficult to make is the formula, the formula of the justice! haha =)

Um, the rating we already have is the MS rating, technically.

"The formula of the justice" would be a rather pointless algorithm.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
11.12.2011 - 17:44
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by vezzy on 11.12.2011 at 17:27

Written by Vikcen on 11.12.2011 at 15:22
Hahah your metaphoric hint was also funny =) Well, yes it was fun hehe, but on the other hand, as idea, MS could display another alternative rating ("MS rating") on each album, it would be calculated automatically, only the most difficult to make is the formula, the formula of the justice! haha =)

Um, the rating we already have is the MS rating, technically.

"The formula of the justice" would be a rather pointless algorithm.

No, better, The formula of VezzyRabblehead!!
11.12.2011 - 19:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Vikcen on 11.12.2011 at 17:44
No, better, The formula of VezzyRabblehead!!

I ain't no computer scientist, you hobo. However, since you asked:

------

Private Sub Command1_Click()

If Check1.Value = 1 And Check2.Value = 0 Then
MsgBox "You are an asshat"
ElseIf Check1.Value = 0 And Check2.Value = 1 Then
MsgBox "Also your mother"
Else
MsgBox "You are a colossal failure"
End If

End Sub

------

And that's pretty much all I know.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
12.12.2011 - 01:09
Slayer666

Written by vezzy on 11.12.2011 at 19:27

I ain't no computer scientist, you hobo. However, since you asked:

------

Private Sub Command1_Click()

If Check1.Value = 1 And Check2.Value = 0 Then
MsgBox "You are an asshat"
ElseIf Check1.Value = 0 And Check2.Value = 1 Then
MsgBox "Also your mother"
Else
MsgBox "You are a colossal failure"
End If

End Sub

------

And that's pretty much all I know.

Wait, I recognize this programming language. Troll ++, amirite?
15.12.2011 - 06:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Nightfall on 15.12.2011 at 06:41
It's just the curiosity of knowing what's actully happening.

That's the entire purpose of this thread really. Curiosity. The OP is curious about the overall ratings on the site changing so drastically over the years.

I understand it... but at the same time I don't necessarily see the point in having an entire thread about it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.12.2011 - 06:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Nightfall on 15.12.2011 at 06:52
Where to discuss it then, for us who are interested? D:

What's interesting about discussing voting patterns changing with time?

Like I said before, with more people voting, you essentially get a more objective score. Meaning not every album in the top 20 is going to be a 8.5 or so. It's a simple answer to an unnecessary question.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.12.2011 - 01:32
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 06:54

Written by Nightfall on 15.12.2011 at 06:52
Where to discuss it then, for us who are interested? D:

What's interesting about discussing voting patterns changing with time?

Like I said before, with more people voting, you essentially get a more objective score. Meaning not every album in the top 20 is going to be a 8.5 or so. It's a simple answer to an unnecessary question.

More people voting more objective score?? so 2011 is an objetive good year (sure?), Are you sure of this statement at first view, It is the absolute true of this matter? it is so simple?

Top 5 albums of all time currently in MS and you can see that the number of votes is high:

1. Megadeth - Rust In Peace (1990) 9.17 | -------------------------> 1618 votes
2. Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001) 9.14 | --------------------------> 1637 votes
3. Metallica - Master Of Puppets (1986) 9.14|----------------------> 2105 votes
4. Judas Priest - Painkiller (1990) 9.14| ---------------------------- > 1149
5. Iron Maiden The Number Of The Beast (1982) 9.14| -----------> 1543

Well, let's go with the 2000s decade, some examples:

2000: 9. Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper -------------------------------------> 8.67 | 991
2001: 2. Ensiferum - Ensiferum -----------------------------------------------------------> 9.02| 866 votes
2002: 1. Agalloch -The Mantle ------------------------------------------------------------> 9.07 | 731 votes
2003: 1. Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja -----------------------------------------------------> 9.02 | 421
2004: 2. Wintersun - Wintersun -----------------------------------------------------------> 9.00 | 1038 votes
2005: 2. Opeth - Ghost Reveries ----------------------------------------------------------> 8.96 | 1259
2006: 12. Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance----------------------------------------- > 8.77 | 586
2007: 4. Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side ---------------------------------------> 8.93 | 1114
2008: 3. Equilibrium - Sagas ---------------------------------------------------------------> 8.80 | 489
2009: 3. Be'lakor Stone's Reach ----------------------------------------------------------- > 8.81| 470
2010: 1. Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini -------------------------------------------------> 8.73| 441

Only some examples, there are more and with more number of votes than these, as you can see decent ratings with high number of votes. Each vote is from a different person (theoretically, but the theory is the same than 2011). Always there will be high number of votes, and new people registered of today still voting old albums. Other thing, the highest number of votes for a particular year is done in this same year, and the people focus on the following years when this year pass. Decent ratings with high number of votes, even more votes than 2011.

Still you think that the answer is so logically easy? i don't think.

By the way, if you are not interested in this thread why you already have a total of 7 post here, please we already know your reiterative opinion.
16.12.2011 - 01:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Vikcen on 16.12.2011 at 01:32
blah blah blah numbers numbers numbers

I truly feel for anyone who wastes enough of their person time looking into such trivial matters, but I'll bite.

What I meant by more objective still stands - just because fans of big-name bands or hyped releases cast out 10s by the dozen doesn't mean the overall rating system hasn't improved with the addition of new users signing up. The thing with all those albums from the '80s and early '90s that are given such high overall scores - they're "classics". Albums people listen to when they're first exploring the sub-genres of metal. Nostalgia plays a key factor into a lot of those votes as well.

Fast forward 20 years and you still have some awesome releases, but we're not in the future to look back on them to decide if they're classics so not as many people are comfortable dishing out a 10 so casually since they actually have to think for themselves (although there are still plenty of sheep handing out either 10s or 1s based on trying to balance the scale).

Quote:
By the way, if you are not interested in this thread why you already have a total of 7 post here, please we already know your reiterative opinion.

By the way, the topic of this thread is posed as a question. I answered that question and that led to a discussion with others. My bad.

(8 posts and counting; you mad?)
----
16.12.2011 - 02:03
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.12.2011 at 01:39

blah blah blah tralará tralará

Seems that the answer already is not so easy as before for you, and you seem that don't want to understand, did you read it well? Compare the number of votes on the albums of the decade of 2000s with the year of 2011, there is no appreciable difference. And read my previous post a little more.

Uummm yes, in truth, you are very very interested in this thread.
16.12.2011 - 02:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I've already provided my answer to this on the first page. You haven't liked any of the responses anyone has given you. That's not my fault.
----