13 want it

01. Hate Train
02. Just A Bullet Away
03. Hell And Back
04. Rebel Of Babylon

Guest review by
Mattybu
Rating:
Back in the early 1980's, a little group called Metallica were an integral part in the spawning of a movement it's safe to say a large number of metalheads around the world revere. We all know enough of their story to understand their importance, and let's face it, back in the day these guys were on top.

Read more ››
published 06.07.2012 | Comments (26)

Found in 8 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 97   Visited by: 1146 users
13.12.2011 - 22:28
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 13.12.2011 at 22:22
Objectivity is a subjective manner. Also thought experiments and logical fallacies just because I can.

When did I assert that? I didn't mean he invalidated your arguments, just that he pointlessly tagged himself on it.

Mindlessly (and sometimes personally) bashing others merely for holding different opinions on an album to you as you have done countless times in the past, is hardly an indicator of a person who is capable of judging music in anything like an objective manner.

You said he "ruined my arguements". That to any reasonable person looks like saying he invalidated them.
13.12.2011 - 22:30
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.12.2011 at 22:28
Mindlessly (and sometimes personally) bashing others merely for holding different opinions on an album to you as you have done countless times in the past, is hardly an indicator of a person who is capable of judging music in anything like an objective manner.

You said he "ruined my arguements". That to any reasonable person looks like saying they invalidated them.

Oh yeah, I think I remember that past. It was the one where you constantly kept blasting Mortician, right?

Well, of course graffiti-ing the hell out of someone's argument is gonna ruin it a bit.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
13.12.2011 - 22:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
If it's too infuriating to have a quote-war with Vezzy, just ignore him. The site even gives you an ignore option.

Not that I'd ever ignore you Vezzy.

Now keep it on topic guys.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.12.2011 - 22:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 13.12.2011 at 22:30
Oh yeah, I think I remember that past. It was the one where you constantly kept blasting Mortician, right?

Well, of course graffiti-ing the hell out of someone's argument is gonna ruin it a bit.

Did you ever see me blasting someone for liking Mortician? Nope. Blasting a band, and blasting a person for liking said band is hardly the same thing. So to keep using that strawman is just dumb, and you well know it. You have personally bashed people for liking a band/album, I never have.

Yet you regularly post off topic nonsense, and troll threads with totally irrelevant posts, yet you're criticising someone for "graffit-ing" a post?
13.12.2011 - 22:43
vezzy
Stallmanite
Okay fine, I give up.

I admit defeat. Please do not torture me.

(especially with this EP, seriously)
----
13.12.2011 - 22:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Hopefully now, normal service can be resumed...
13.12.2011 - 23:56
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.12.2011 at 21:34

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.12.2011 at 20:14
Exactly. Metallica know how to pinch every dime they can out of their audience. Probably the most shameless band I've ever come across.

A band as big as them could get away with far more than they're actually doing. It's also worthy of note, that Metallica have never released a greatest hits album, which is the ultimate cheap cash grab. I can think of countless bands who have several such hits compilations, yet Metallica don't even have one. Hardly makes them beyond doubt "the most shameless band"...

And at least these tracks are being released as an EP, which is far cheaper than the songs would be, if they'd decided to re-release the album with the extra tracks on it. (as many other bands have done in the past) £2.50 is about the price of a single, and very reasonable for an EP is you ask me...

I'm with Angelic Storm on this one. They have enough cash not to worry about such things, and when you have Metallica on your label, you'd be an idiot not to milk it.

Now, I'm not sure if I'll hear this, but I remember enjoying some DM tracks, so why the hell not. Metallica is has about the same level of prominence in my world as tank tops have in my closet... so little that I can't overdo them.
----
7.0 means the album is good
14.12.2011 - 01:18
JD
Account deleted
This is very impressive tbh

EDIT:
These four tracks are better than the whole Megadeth new album IMO.
14.12.2011 - 02:31
JohnDoe
Account deleted
This is surprisingly good to be honest.

It makes me wonder: was this released to calm down the negative Lulu storm?
14.12.2011 - 02:59
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Yeah, people need to stop hatin', this is a great release!
14.12.2011 - 03:54
Rating: 6
Berserk
Good release.. how so? The only good thing about this EP's is that its better than lulu. That's about it.

The songs are just too boring, there's nothing special about any of em'.
----
Fear the Old Blood
14.12.2011 - 05:25
Butters49
The last song is the only good one, imo.
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
14.12.2011 - 05:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Xim on 14.12.2011 at 02:59

You say people need to stop hatin', I say Metallica need to stop sucking.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.12.2011 - 07:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Xim on 14.12.2011 at 02:59

The day that people stop hating Metallica is the day that Satan will be ice skating into work. Metallica are in a position now where they could release something of the exact style and quality of Ride The Lightning or Kill Em All, and some people would still hate it just because of the name on the cover.

Metallica are a band that are loved and hated by many simply for being Metallica. The material itself is actually of little significance to people like that.
14.12.2011 - 07:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.12.2011 at 07:24
...Satan will be ice skating into work.

Are you saying it's unlikely Satan will turn to eco-friendly efforts in order to reduce waste in Hell?

I have a feeling he likes to keep his realm neat and tidy.
----
14.12.2011 - 07:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.12.2011 at 07:26
Are you saying it's unlikely Satan will turn to eco-friendly efforts in order to reduce waste in Hell?

I have a feeling he likes to keep his realm neat and tidy.

Satan ice skating to work = Hell frozen over.
14.12.2011 - 07:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.12.2011 at 07:29
Satan ice skating to work = Hell frozen over.

Still a better chance of that happening before Metallica ever release anything worthwhile ever again.
----
14.12.2011 - 07:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.12.2011 at 07:32
Still a better chance of that happening before Metallica ever release anything worthwhile ever again.

In your opinion. In my opinion, Lulu is the only thing they've ever released that I would class as terrible as a whole. They have released other flawed albums, but that's the only one that is utterly awful. At least in my humble opinion.
14.12.2011 - 07:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.12.2011 at 07:40
In your opinion.

Everything I say about my taste in music is in my opinion obviously. I just don't feel the need to constantly type "imo" at the end of everything.

It's not a fact that Metallica is a shitty band, since you can't narrow an artistic opinion into a matter of right or wrong. It's my opinion they've sucked since 1989.
----
14.12.2011 - 08:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.12.2011 at 07:59

Written by Angelic Storm on 14.12.2011 at 07:40
In your opinion.

Everything I say about my taste in music is in my opinion obviously. I just don't feel the need to constantly type "imo" at the end of everything.

It's not a fact that Metallica is a shitty band, since you can't narrow an artistic opinion into a matter of right or wrong. It's my opinion they've sucked since 1989.

I realise that, I just pointed that out so it would seem like a measured debate, rather than a stupid arguement. Also, because many people do state their opinions as fact. I highlighted that for the benefit of some who might be reading this, not for mine. I'm well aware you don't view your artistic opinion as fact. Me saying every album Metallica have done except Lulu has merit (if not all of the same standard and quality), is also, not a fact. It is merely my opinion.

And you have every right to think that, I just happen to disagree, that's all.
14.12.2011 - 10:41
Huntteri
This EP is nice, the songs weren't bad,but they didn't have that edge which was in DM's songs :S And as for Lulu, I don't give a damn! It was a collaboration album, not part of the actual Metallica full-length discography this is stated by the band itself! Yeah I know it sucks and nothing changes it, but people should try to be objective, but that is impossible
14.12.2011 - 10:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Huntteri on 14.12.2011 at 10:41
And as for Lulu, I don't give a damn! It was a collaboration album...

Still doesn't excuse them for being a part of it.

Not that it has any effect on this EP. But still...
----
14.12.2011 - 13:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
5-6 material for me. Not bad, just boring... Enough to make the fans happy I guess...
Which just explains how easy is to please some people.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.12.2011 - 15:13
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.12.2011 at 07:24
Metallica are in a position now where they could release something of the exact style and quality of Ride The Lightning or Kill Em All, and some people would still hate it just because of the name on the cover.

How about they actually do it* first?

*no you perverted bastards I don't mean that
----
14.12.2011 - 15:20
Huntteri
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.12.2011 at 10:43

Written by Huntteri on 14.12.2011 at 10:41
And as for Lulu, I don't give a damn! It was a collaboration album...

Still doesn't excuse them for being a part of it.

Not that it has any effect on this EP. But still...

yeah, I agree
14.12.2011 - 18:13
Rating: 6
RockeRoy
I find some parts here and there that i like, but all over this is dissapointing. Some of the riffs are riffs anyone that plays a guitar could make in 1 minute.. like the bluesy one on Hate train that starts at 20 seconds or the uninspired one at 4:50. Hammet realy disapoints on the solos, sounds like an old man who don't care anymore and just plays bitts and pieces from old solos. James vocals are good enough, but some places he's even out of tune. Lars Drums are also ok i think, but i hope he will challenge him self to use the double base some more in the future
I think they should start play standard tuning again, and focus on speed a bit more and groove a bit less. Maybe that would help them get closer to their roots... If they want
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
14.12.2011 - 20:58
Tiago Rocha
Dark Lighthouse
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.12.2011 at 22:47

Hopefully now, normal service can be resumed...

By ''love the way you talk girl'' I meant ''not only I agree with every single word you stated, as loved the objectivity, ponderated and mature way you described it.'' And yes, I said it in a naughty sense
would that make you feel... "graffited''???
14.12.2011 - 21:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Tiago Rocha on 14.12.2011 at 20:58
By ''love the way you talk girl'' I meant ''not only I agree with every single word you stated, as loved the objectivity, ponderated and mature way you described it.'' And yes, I said it in a naughty sense
would that make you feel... "graffited''???

That was Vezzy's choice of words, not mine. And he "graffiti's" others' posts more than anyone else on this site, so I wouldn't pay any heed to what he had to say about it.

I just call it how I see it, and certainly even if Metallica had 100% control over how their material is released (as opposed to their record label, which isn't very likely), I think to say they milk their fans worse than any other band on the planet is a stretch at best, and has no real basis in logic at worst. To date, Metallica have never re-released an album with extra material, even their old 80's albums haven't been given that treatment. Yet many other bands have done this, and sometimes even with albums released just a short amount of time before they are re-released. They've also never released any sort of "hits" compilation, which for a band of their size, and length of time they've been going, is quite remarkable. Just on this evidence, far smaller bands than them are more guilty of extorting cash from true fans than Metallica are.
15.12.2011 - 08:17
afu
I look at it like this: They had material that didn't quite fit the album and wanted to do something for the 30th anniversary. An EP of outtakes is quite cool. Better than a "Best Of" or tacking those songs onto the next album just to fill up space.

As far as complaints about style: I like a bit of fine art. I'm not extremely into it, but I have favorites. Two well known artists I like are Klimt and Dali. Both had periods of work which, to this day, seem to define them, even though they both moved into other styles later in their careers (especially Dali). Creating the same thing over and over and over and over is stifling. While a couple of their albums do not appeal to me, I don't fault Metallica for trying out new things.

I think another art analogy could be Giger (my personal favorite). While he has maintained a certain Giger-ness to all of his work, he has made changes throughout his career (bio-mech, Alien, NY City, Dune and many more) and now mostly does furniture and sculpting, if he does anything at all. Does he seem to give shit. Nope. He'll always be remembered for putting penises, vaginas, and graphic sex in his paintings, but now he likes to make things that look designed for a creature from Hellraiser.
16.12.2011 - 02:47
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by afu on 15.12.2011 at 08:17

I look at it like this: They had material that didn't quite fit the album and wanted to do something for the 30th anniversary. An EP of outtakes is quite cool. Better than a "Best Of" or tacking those songs onto the next album just to fill up space.

As far as complaints about style: I like a bit of fine art. I'm not extremely into it, but I have favorites. Two well known artists I like are Klimt and Dali. Both had periods of work which, to this day, seem to define them, even though they both moved into other styles later in their careers (especially Dali). Creating the same thing over and over and over and over is stifling. While a couple of their albums do not appeal to me, I don't fault Metallica for trying out new things.

I think another art analogy could be Giger (my personal favorite). While he has maintained a certain Giger-ness to all of his work, he has made changes throughout his career (bio-mech, Alien, NY City, Dune and many more) and now mostly does furniture and sculpting, if he does anything at all. Does he seem to give shit. Nope. He'll always be remembered for putting penises, vaginas, and graphic sex in his paintings, but now he likes to make things that look designed for a creature from Hellraiser.

What the hell are you talking about?

Hits total: 23724 | This month: 46