Metal Storm logo
2006 (Great) Year (For) Death Metal

15.10.2006 - 07:48
Herzebeth
I was reading a pyroleprechaun post in a Deicide thread where he said "This is the year of Death MEtal" and I thought..fuck he's right indeed. So I opened this topic for discussion, which ones are the releases of this year that you love...the ones that you hate...you don't think this is the year of Death? do you think black Metal released better stuff this year? etc... this is a topic to talk about the Extreme (not only Death) goodies of 2006 so let's have some bleeding going on...
----
15.10.2006 - 07:54
Herzebeth
well about this year's releases I have a weird battle, I've heard many albums and all, but there are two CD's that I just can't stop playing...

Suffocation-Suffocation
Deicide-The Stench OF Redemption

It's really hard to chose one of them, and it was hard enough to mention those 2 because there's also Vader with their new assault...Unleashed with a huge comeback that kills their latests efforts, then Sinister, Psycroptic, Sleep Terror and many more...

Well, this year has a lot of good albums and all...weird because there are so many good albums that you can even throw Anata, Napalm Death, Spawn of Possession and some others to the trash can you know? that's just fucking weird...

Then there's the grinding area were TOOH sent their last album as well as Last Days Of Humanity, The Day Everything Became Nothing and I vould go on forever dudes...damn..
----
15.10.2006 - 08:01
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I'm happy mentioning Amon Amarth's new album 'With Oden On Our Sides' all by itself. It has been keeping me musically happy for some time.
----
The force will be with you, always.
15.10.2006 - 08:09
Herzebeth
Written by Clintagräm on 15.10.2006 at 08:01

I'm happy mentioning Amon Amarth's new album 'With Oden On Our Sides' all by itself. It has been keeping me musically happy for some time.

To be honest with you man..I hate Amon amarth and I lost track after the avenger...but I was cooling down in Soulseek and some dude told me, "well if you're looking for the new Unleashed you mgith as well download the new Amon amarth man..it's far better" so I did it...man...I was amazed by their music again, I don't know if they used to be so great and I just lost their music for so many years but this one is just something intense and very good.
----
15.10.2006 - 08:14
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
My favorite death metal album this year is Identisick by Benighted. I've raved about this band in numerous threads and I'll do so again. The songs have structure, with choruses and verses, and their lyrics are about complex psychological syndromes. C'mon dudes...check them out! Please!!!

Listen to them here.
15.10.2006 - 08:27
Herzebeth
Written by Dangerboner on 15.10.2006 at 08:14

My favorite death metal album this year is Identisick by Benighted. I've raved about this band in numerous threads and I'll do so again. If Joey Jordison from Slipknot tried to play drums like Benighted he would simply explode in a fiery and gay emo cloud. If Eric Clapton tried to play riffs as fast as Benighted his crack smoking fingers would fall off. This band isn't just speed though. The songs have structure, with choruses and verses, and their lyrics are about complex psychological syndromes. C'mon dudes...check them out! Please!!!

Listen to them here.

Yeah I downloaded their album and I have it somewhere around, it's sickening bliss indeed...but I still think Joey Jordison is a good drummer and I still worship Clapton hahahaha. They are tight as fuck and that was the basis of its appeal for me...

I never thought a band like Benigthed would have kick Suffocation from your list man...wow...that says a lot of them lol. I seriously need to hear their album again then..
----
15.10.2006 - 09:14
Winter Death
Account deleted
The new Deicide was fucking amazing, and I think the majority of the people who rip on the album just let their prejudices of Glen or the bands antics get in the way of their evaluation. The album is just damn good music.

On the opposite end of the death metal spectrum, one would find the new Amon Amarth album. I don't need to say it's great because most of you already know that. Let me tell you that some of the songs on "With Oden on Our Side" have been in my head for a couple weeks now.

Another death release this year was Vader: "Impressions in Blood." What did you guys think about this one? I'm kind of on the fence when it comes to this album.
15.10.2006 - 10:25
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Nice thread Herzebeth

This year is surely the death metal year not as in death metal overall this year was very happining Got whole lotta kickass album ..... from where should i start.First solid album i got was Krisiun's AssassiNation ..... fking brutal !! Love amon amarth's new album as well.... wat a fking comeback awesome .... of left Psycroptic ANATA

Drudkh's new album is mindblowing ..... same goes with Deicide , Sodom and Cannibal Corpse. Some of the worth listing bands : Gory Blister , Benighted , Catacombs , Celtic Frost (BRILLIANT ) , Negurã Bunget ( Om , watta FEEL ) .... have got suffocation stuff chah !!

Drink beer and enjoy the music
15.10.2006 - 11:13
kackbratze
2006 definitely had some nice extreme metal releases (until now). Like most of you I also like the new disks of Amon Amarth (kindof a comeback), Suffocation (still the kings) and Deicide.

"Between Two Worlds" by "I" is pretty good, I like it. Contrary to to Herzebeth I think that you can't throw Napalm Death to the trash. Their newest effort "Smear Campaign" is fucking amazing imho, kindof a return to their grindcore roots a bit. It's nothing new, but executed in a good way. It made me check their material before "The Code..." and now they are one of my very favourite bands.

I want to mention another album here. It's "Malevolent Rapture" by "Legion of the Damned". I saw them live on Wacken this year and actually didn't think much of them until I downloaded the album. It's pretty wicked Thrash Metal, I can recommend it to you, if you don't know it already.

What I also like is the new CDs of Aurora Borealis (although I'm not that much into this band) and Spawn of Possession, though I liked Cabinet more.

The newest Satyricon CD is pretty good imho, although many don't like it. I have no particular reason for it, but it's pretty much the only Satyricon CD I can keep listening to...

Nevertheless I didn't like all releases I looked forward to. The newest Cannibal Corpse effort was very uninspired imho and that is although I like pretty much all of the band's material. The same thing with the new Sodom and Terrorizer CD. I couldn't really get into "Sodom", I only like their very early material. While "World Downfall" of Terrorizer is one of my all time favourites, "Darker Days Ahead" sounds so damn uninspired in the end, although I liked it at first. That would not have been necessary...
"Christ Illusion" by Slayer gave me some hours of enjoyment, but in the end it's missing the magic of the earlier Slayer records.

So far...
15.10.2006 - 11:45
FOOCK Nam
Benighted band is pretty brutal, like Berzerker. I was very amazed when listening to them
15.10.2006 - 17:03
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
The year of death metal is 1986 imho.

2006, 20 years later:

Well, good death metal albums get released every year, right? So I don't think that it's the year of death metal in any kind of way actually. I love Suffocation's debut, but the new album, meh. I did not listen to the new Deicide yet, but I got it recommended so I'll give it a try.
15.10.2006 - 23:03
Herzebeth
@Winter Death: The new Vader was amazing for my ears man, I can see why you said "you're on the fence" as I also didn't dig it as much the first listens...but well when I focused on the drumming and the music instead of the weird and almost cheesy KEYBOARDS (yes WHAAAAAAAT?) I said, damn this shit is kinda cool..then wow that song was fucked up, and so on...now I really like it

@Hembron: Yeah, not as in death metal overall hahaha...but sure it's a great year for the genre. and wow man..I thought I was the only one here that likes Gory Blister, I contacted them a while ago for their new album and all...they're are great people for sure and awesome musicians as well, their album might not be the best release this year but it's surely a good listen.

@kackbratze: yeah, the thing is...I trashed Napalm Death since their previous albums, I guess this one is a more Grindcore oriented and that's what I loved about it. about the letdowns...I agree with Terrorizer man...I was hoping for a motherfucking blasting and crushing album by them...but instead we received average things that could have been great in early 80's ...but Cannibal Corpse did impress me..I'm shocked because ever since Barnes joined the grouo I started hating their guts..but Kill was enjoyable and even amazing..

@Fucked Upstairs!: yes of course the 80's are the best death years and all...I'm fucking impressed..you didn't like the new Suffocation album? WOW...can you say why? I'm seriously interesed in a second opinion as every single dude I've asked say "yeah wow it kicks like Zidane yeey.."
----
15.10.2006 - 23:09
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
@Herz

To be for real, I was never too crazy about anything Suffocation released after Human Waste. Human Waste was, how shall I explain, it was an fucking orgasm. It grabs you by the balls and smashes your face right on the floor, it grinds your cunt bloody and runs laughing.

But, that's it. I love brutal and gore stuff but brutal death metal, meh, never got really into it. All Suffocation albums have really some good moments, agree, but it's not an album to impress me.

I'm still waiting for the new Torsofuck album! Where the hell is it??? It's delayed for a year now for fuck sakes!!!
15.10.2006 - 23:15
Herzebeth
Written by Guest on 15.10.2006 at 23:09

I'm still waiting for the new Torsofuck album! Where the hell is it??? It's delayed for a year now for fuck sakes!!!

I have some info from the label (as I work for them as a reviewer and shit) The album was delayed because the guys didn't send the tracks to begin with, the whole production is done, the artwork, the pressing and all those things..but apparently the band has not yet finished recording their songs...or at least that's what the guys at Goregiastic told me I'm also waiting for it....badly!!
----
15.10.2006 - 23:19
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Fuck Goregiastics LOL. On March Torsofuck told on myspace that the songs are getting finished, and are almost done, now we have the 10th month and they aren't done? Torsofuck my ass! xD
15.10.2006 - 23:31
Winter Death
Account deleted
@ Herzebeth - The drumming on the new Vader disc is fucking brutal. I agree with you 100% on that one. I didn't really mind the symphonic elements too much. They used them in moderation to give the album a little extra dimension. I suppose I need a few more objective listens to more fully make up my mind.

@ EVERYONE!!!! I haven't even considered picking up the new Suffocation and Cannible Corpse discs until this thread was created! Are they worth the time and money?

Also, what is this talk of 1986 being the year of death metal. Wasn't that like the crowning year of thrash?
15.10.2006 - 23:38
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Thrash had it's big day back than to.
With 86 I ment the whole early stuff, Possessed, Autopsy, Slaughter, Death, Master etc...
Though you can't put up one year for the whole era. imho it's 85 to 93, but it's opinion stuff.
Just wanted to mention that it's no way 2006, not in a milion years.
15.10.2006 - 23:39
Southern Wind
Account deleted
There are two Death Metal albums that have me kind of obsessed right now... those are 324's "Rebelgrind" and Grave's "As Rapture Comes"... although I hadn't listened to enough shit to say it's a death metal year... and I was kinda dissapointed by Suffocation, my most expected DM album of the year.
15.10.2006 - 23:47
Winter Death
Account deleted
@ Fucked Upstairs! I don't think this one year is the new apex of death metal either. I think most would agree that a lot of good shit came out in the genre though.
16.10.2006 - 00:04
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
I don't know. I listend to suffocation's new album and vader's new album, and both I disliked.
I was not dissapointed about suffocation because I did not have any hopes, but i was dissapointed by vader because i love these guys. I hope their gig in 10 days wil fix it.
16.10.2006 - 00:48
Herzebeth
Written by Guest on 15.10.2006 at 23:31

@ EVERYONE!!!! I haven't even considered picking up the new Suffocation and Cannible Corpse discs until this thread was created! Are they worth the time and money?

Yes they're worthwhile...but wait, I think the one you should buy it's the Suffocation album, that one is truly a masterpiece and every single minute of it will make you say..damn..I'm glad I spend my money on this...

Now..the new cannibal corpse it's worth your time..but I'm not sure if I'd buy it though, I don't see myself playing that one quite often, the music is amazing and all but it has low re-playable values IMO.

so that's what I think...
----
16.10.2006 - 01:02
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

Buy them! Both of those albums are exceptionally good. Kill is Cannibal Corpse's best album in like 10 years. That shit's more brutal than popping a nun's cherry.
16.10.2006 - 03:48
Herzebeth
Written by Dangerboner on 16.10.2006 at 01:02

Buy them! Both of those albums are exceptionally good. Kill is Cannibal Corpse's best album in like 10 years. That shit's more brutal than popping a nun's cherry.

really that brutal?? I'd say it's more brutal than a midget figth...but Suffocation kills that album and they become more brutal than a blind dude falling into a well
----
16.10.2006 - 03:56
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Like everytime when I listen to a new album, I gave Suffocation a second chance, because I really love the debut EP.
And I'm getting into it, let's see what happens when I listen to it for the 5th time.
Talking 'bout brutal blind dudes who fall into a well, anyone got the Split Promo from mighty DEVOURMENT?
Is it out yet? If not, is it out on soulseek or whatever?

I'd love to hear some new stuff by Devourment, friggin love 'em.
16.10.2006 - 04:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Herzebeth on 16.10.2006 at 03:48

Written by Dangerboner on 16.10.2006 at 01:02

really that brutal?? I'd say it's more brutal than a midget figth...but Suffocation kills that album and they become more brutal than a blind dude falling into a well

hmm, maybe I overbrutalized it. How about more brutal than Rosie O'Donnell on The View?

@Fucked Upstairs!- yeah, Devourment's fuckin great. I love the remastered version of their newest cd.
16.10.2006 - 07:12
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
hmm, I don't think anyone has mentioned the new Cattle Decapitation cd, Karma. Bloody. Karma. It's a pretty solid cd, with improved guitar-work. It has less of a gore them going on, but the music is still brutal.
16.10.2006 - 18:19
Herzebeth
I didn't like the new Cattle Decapitation...I'm not a fan at all, though this album was a little more enjoyabl than their past stuff. it's more brutal than a donkey throwing sperm to a tattooed midget...

@pyroleprechaun: dude you gotta love the new wave of "More Brutal Than..." that we're creating lol...
----
16.10.2006 - 18:22
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer

If Joey Jordison from Slipknot tried to play drums like Benighted he would simply explode in a fiery and gay emo cloud. If Eric Clapton tried to play riffs as fast as Benighted his crack smoking fingers would fall off. This band isn't just speed though. [/url]

It is curious that you mention Slipknot when talking about this band, especially when they ripped one of Slipknot's riffs in their "Foetus" song. They play fast but not faster than other Death Metal bands.

You guys are like so obsessed with similes.
----
Christless
16.10.2006 - 18:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Darth Satanious on 16.10.2006 at 18:22

If Joey Jordison from Slipknot tried to play drums like Benighted he would simply explode in a fiery and gay emo cloud. If Eric Clapton tried to play riffs as fast as Benighted his crack smoking fingers would fall off. This band isn't just speed though. [/url]

It is curious that you mention Slipknot when talking about this band, especially when they ripped one of Slipknot's riffs in their "Foetus" song. They play fast but not faster than other Death Metal bands.

And what the BLEEP does Slipknot have to do with death metal?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2006 - 18:33
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2006 at 18:26

Written by Darth Satanious on 16.10.2006 at 18:22

And what the BLEEP does Slipknot have to do with death metal?

As far as I know: nothing.

I have class now, in fact I am late, so I will return later on to withstand and respond the posible future bashing.
----
Christless