Metal Storm logo
System Of A Down

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 13:40
Pretty much single handedly responsible for getting me into metal altogether with their 'Toxicity' release. This is one amazing band, respected by critics and fans alike they create very original and unique music which can be appreciated on many levels as they take influence from all sorts of genres.

I've always had a bit a of a hard on for Serj's vocal style. He can be operatic and he can also bellow the house down if he wants to, one of the most distinctive vocals styles I've ever heard.

I've no doubt the "are they Nu Metal?" debate will come into play very soon, I for one don't see how they can be regarded as such, they simply have too many styles in their music to just be classified as simple nu metal.

Anyway, my personal fave album is their self titled debut, just a very chaotic release and very heavy and aggressive whilst having some crazy ass lyrics and compelling songwriting.

SUGAR!!!!!!!!
22.01.2009 - 18:31
გურ
Account deleted
Vishapakahr So how do you think which one is SOAD's best composition?
22.01.2009 - 18:49
Khaldi
Written by Guest on 22.01.2009 at 18:31

Vishapakahr So how do you think which one is SOAD's best composition?

Composition or album ?? i prefer answer by album . I thing that Toxicity are the best .
But System of A Down i listened last time 2-3 years ago . Now i prefer to listening BM and
Brutal Deathmet ... I can not listening alternative/nu metal ...
----
Urartu is a NeoHittite and ProtoArmenian kingdom !!
22.01.2009 - 19:01
JayEstonio
Account deleted
In my own opinion, they are not NU Metal. I am not a fan but I think their best song ever was BYOB.
22.01.2009 - 21:16
გურ
Account deleted
JayEstonio and Cigaro?
31.01.2009 - 22:01
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
In my pre-metal phase in school I used to listen to them quite a lot....the first album was actually pretty good and some songs like "Sugar" had some crushing heavy bits in it. Toxicity was awesome for a while as well...until "Chop Suey" started playing on every tv station and then they lost their appeal.
31.01.2009 - 23:30
Ragana
Rawrcat
My sister listened to them few years ago, so I had to listen them too when she was at home. Well, sort of. I was kinda unhappy about it because at that time I was totally into Dream Theater. But it wasn't the worst music phase in my sisters life... it is now.

However, few songs from SOAD I actually started to like, for example - Aerials.
01.02.2009 - 08:03
Captain Renor
Account deleted
Deer Dance = How i got into real metal.
04.03.2009 - 22:24
ringofedwin
Account deleted
Very unique vocalist that guy is
16.03.2009 - 18:59
parallax
One of the first really heavy bands I got into. Bought the first CD in '00 or '01, loved it, listened to it all the time. I just bought it last week again actually after not hearing it for years, fell in love all over again!

They're rather simple as far as the music goes, but I haven't heard anything else like it yet. That counts more than complexity for me, as long as it's original I'll give it a shot, and they won me over.

Though once Steal This Album! came out I became less interested, mostly due to getting more into different genres of metal though, but also I was less impressed with the music. There are still some good tracks on the last 3 they put out, but I can't listen to the whole album like I could with the first 2 CD's.
26.03.2009 - 16:52
Jack21
I dont know if you know this my good man, but Serj is not yet over with his work. After the band break of SOAD Serj has kept goin with the band named (after himself) Serj Tankians. Which can be located on this website and i must say that it is still pretty amazing stuff. I highly recommend it.
14.04.2009 - 10:13
Throne Dweller
Peephole, 'nuff said.
17.04.2009 - 23:48
Crimson Lily
Account deleted
I like the band personally. But sadly, as with many bands I would like to know better, I don't know them as much as I'd like to. Still, from what I have heard from them I like them. The first song I heard by them was ''Chop Suey'' and I liked it. I've also heard some other songs later and liked them as well. I like them cause they always have something to say, they have great music and lyrics (even if sometimes a bit strange) and I like the vocals of Serj and Daron, both of them.

So yeah, great band, but I'd like to get to know them even better. And that's exactly what I plan to do.
18.04.2009 - 16:19
Janne
Hugin
I used to like the band but now I think their music is just fun and musically poor. Though the vocals are great!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
26.06.2009 - 21:17
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Written by Janne on 18.04.2009 at 16:19

I used to like the band but now I think their music is just fun and musically poor. Though the vocals are great!

Name me a band that got together that many music genres and turned out to make great songs and which is, imo, an unique style.

Altough they have some fun musics, its not by far just what they do. Most of their work is criticizing the society and the world we live in, so you pretty much got it all wrong, except for the vocals part
----
<JustinSane> shall we play the /quit game?
<skoo> /quit
* JustinSane has quit IRC (Signed off)
<skoo> owned
* JustinSane has joined the #
<JustinSane> i cannot believe i just did that
26.06.2009 - 22:49
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride

How can something so unique and well worked be musically poor. They have never realised one bad song.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
26.06.2009 - 23:37
Janne
Hugin
Written by Haddonfield on 26.06.2009 at 22:49

How can something so unique and well worked be musically poor. They have never realised one bad song.

I was thinking of the guitar riffs.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
27.06.2009 - 00:01
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Janne on 26.06.2009 at 23:37

That's what I was talking about, they're unique, not the most technical but very efficient.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
27.06.2009 - 01:27
Janne
Hugin
Written by Haddonfield on 27.06.2009 at 00:01

That's what I was talking about, they're unique, not the most technical but very efficient.

yeah i agree they are unique but not because of the guitar work rather the slow (folkish) parts.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
27.06.2009 - 20:08
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Written by Janne on 27.06.2009 at 01:27

yeah i agree they are unique but not because of the guitar work rather the slow (folkish) parts.

so if their guitar is slow, they're musically poor?
----
<skoo> /quit
<skoo> owned
04.07.2009 - 00:21
Janne
Hugin
Written by ilicit on 27.06.2009 at 20:08

Written by Janne on 27.06.2009 at 01:27

so if their guitar is slow, they're musically poor?

No, I didn't say it's slow it's just not technic..
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
05.07.2009 - 19:34
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Written by Janne on 04.07.2009 at 00:21

Please specify.

Their music is not complicated, or they are not talented?
----
<skoo> /quit
<skoo> owned
05.07.2009 - 19:39
Janne
Hugin
Written by ilicit on 05.07.2009 at 19:34

Please specify.

I don't think they are not talented.. they just don't want to show their talent
but it can be caused be the style of music they play
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
05.07.2009 - 19:45
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Written by Janne on 05.07.2009 at 19:39

Please specify.

Ok, I get your point: any song for you that sounds nice but just don't have those hard difficult tabs to play, is musically poor.

Music does not need to be complicated to be musically good
----
<skoo> /quit
<skoo> owned
05.07.2009 - 20:45
Janne
Hugin
Written by ilicit on 05.07.2009 at 19:45

Written by Janne on 05.07.2009 at 19:39

Please specify.

Music does not need to be complicated to be musically good

I totally agree with this sentence. But I never said it's bad. Let's finish this dialogue here
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
07.07.2009 - 21:36
sheriko
They have made some great songs but thats it .
----
All metal sounds good! ;)
Today I killed, he was just a boy
Eight before him, I knew them all
In the fields a dying oath:
I'd kill them all to save my own

Cut me free, bleed with me, oh no
One by one, we will fall, down down
Pull the plug, end the p
19.08.2009 - 08:24
system_queen
Account deleted
I love System
24.10.2009 - 23:15
I remember this band! I used to listen to the all the time! I'm a bit over them now... Mesmerize/Hypnotize had their moments but I can't get back into them to save my life. I'm just past it. Sorry.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
26.10.2009 - 13:52
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
Written by Entropic Silence on 24.10.2009 at 23:15

I remember this band! I used to listen to the all the time! I'm a bit over them now... Mesmerize/Hypnotize had their moments but I can't get back into them to save my life. I'm just past it. Sorry.

Well I used to listen to them a lot to, and also with Mesmerize/Hypnotize i don't know i dind't quite dig it , though i didn't payed a lot attention neither, i will be checking them again, at least are variated albums. Wonder if they will be back at all...

... after checking them out, i have to say i like more Mezmerize than Hypnotized, Hypnotized is quieter while Hypnotized is more of hypper thing, but i dont think it's about it, it's just the feeling i get, I will check out news or interviews when they did the albums to see if there were any diferents on the make...
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
29.11.2009 - 23:33
Cock_Spit
Account deleted

Aha me too.
I was in obsession mode before. But it only started when they released Mesmerize. From there, I went backward. I mean, listening to their Albums.First it was Mesmerize, Steal This Album, Toxicity, and their self titled one.
But I do admire Serj's type of singing. It's just so strange. I love listening to his voice.
04.12.2009 - 22:30
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
Written by Guest on 29.11.2009 at 23:33

Aha me too.
I was in obsession mode before. But it only started when they released Mesmerize. From there, I went backward. I mean, listening to their Albums.First it was Mesmerize, Steal This Album, Toxicity, and their self titled one.
But I do admire Serj's type of singing. It's just so strange. I love listening to his voice.

Well i started with the selftitled but the album i really got into, a lot, was toxicity i saw them live on toronto on the mezmerize/hypnotize tour lately i was listening a bit of their 2 latest and liked more hypnotize over mezmerize.

And well Serj have definitely a very nice particular voice.
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences