Metal Storm logo
Wintersbane

23.10.2006 - 15:17
madgarry
Account deleted
For those of you who dont know Wintersbane are back on the scene (Yes this is the former band of Tim Ripper Owens before he went to JP), the only original member is founder a guitar master Lou st paul, on drums Mark Cross (Ex Helloween amongst others) and on vox Alex Koch (Ex Spiral tower) a very good heavy power metal album, belowe is a review of the album. If any of you guys have heard it yet what do you think..

Needless to say I have "aquired" a copy of Redivivus in its entirity. I haven't stopped listening to the album since I got it.
It reinforces my prior belief that this album could win Album of the Year. I will give a track by track break down with my opinions. Anyone expecting another WB album sounding like HoaK or Girth prepare to be let down, cause this album is a COMPLETELY NEW SOUND for WB - one they hopefully keep for a long time to come!

1. SEAL THE LIGHT - out of the gate heavy and fast, this track is very reminesent of Nevermore. Cleaverly written music and lyrics, I feel this is Alex's standout performance on this album. Very Bruce Dickinson! Although Alex does sound a lot like Warrel Dane, this has a lot to do with Curran Murphy. Contender for the first single. SWIFT BRUTAL ASS KICKING!

2. SPARK TO FLAME - this song has the feeling that Lou has a new fire lit under his ass to make better, harder and purer ass kicking metal. Take two shots of this and let the headbanging begin. Alex's vocals remind me a lot of Rob Halford -'painkiller' era, especially on the chorus and outro.

3. THE WORLD - This starts with a riff that I recognized from somewhere. Then it hit me, it sounds like the opening bass rift from professional wrestler Chris Benoit's entrance theme. Besides that, this song really showcases Lou's agility on the guitar. Fast crazy solos, more mellow slower bridges. Overall a good song, but I'm not hooked on this one yet. I'll need to give it a few more listens.

4. DEAD FAITH - One word to describe this one, in my opinion, NEVERMORE. This sounds like it came from Enemies of Reality, and I REALLY dig this one. It's too bad the Curran wanted to change alot of the material when they were in studio, but I am glad they did this one the way they did. This one kicks serious ass and is one of my favorites on the album. Lou's guitar work is tight and crisp, Alex's vocals match the music perfectly, Marks drumming shines through. A++++

5. CATCHING THE SUN - Easily the best song on the album. The intro kind of has this Egyptian feel going on right into a killer solo then the first riff. Love the rhythm on this one. The perfect song for air guitaring and moshing, headbanging. Pure Awesomeness in this song, and reinforces the fact that Lou is one of North America's, if not the worlds', most underrated and "undiscovered" guitarists. The solos on this one are right up there with anything that Adrian Smith, Tony Iommi, Tipton and Downing ever did. One listen and you'll be totally hooked.

6. REMEMBER TO FORGET - This song is really good, but is one of the ones that was reworked by Curran. I feel that it lost something that the demo version had (which I am completely hooked on - according to Lou I suffer from DemoItis ). In reality it is another very strong song and seemingly the choice for the first single off the album. I have no complaints on this one. Balls out vocals, screaming solos, giving it everything they got, truly mindblowing. (But I still like the demo Lou! )

7. BURNING BRIDGES - This is tied with Catching the Sun for my favorite song off this album. Its skull smashing right out of the gate with no mercy for anyone who gets in its way. Unrelenting power metal at its best. After hearing this, I asked myself "And why isn't Winter's Bane signed to a big label?". I still don't have an answer.

8. WAVES OF FURY - This song begins with a blistering solo that goes into yet another song that relentlently kicks you in the ass again and again. From the opening solo to the crushing guitar riffs, Alex's vocals to Mark's intricate drumming, it is really outstanding. A+++

9. DESPISE THE LIE - Great opening drum solo straight into Alex's amazing mid-range vocals. You may want to wear a jock strap while listening to this one, cause its like a swiff kick in the nuts!

Overall: there is not one weak song on this album. They are all awesome. I haven't had the shit kicked out of me like this since I was beatup by the Big Boss Man . Seriously. This is just an amazing album to listen to. I've never heard anything quite like it. It has a lot of elements and vibes that remind me of several other bands I like, yet is built and assembled in such a way that it is its own unique sound. If it takes Lou another 15 years to make another Winters Bane album that is as good as this one, its worth the wait.
05.12.2007 - 21:45
madgarry
Account deleted
check these guys out
05.12.2007 - 23:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Only album I know are Heart of Killer and it was good, but in myspace are songs from oldest albums, I betetr like older
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.12.2007 - 19:45
Hellish Star
Damn, killer band!!!! Their first album with Tim Owens is a classic album. The last album was a killer album as well....

I hear rumors about Tim Owens coming back to WInters Bane for the next album... In my opinion it was the best he ever did....
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
23.04.2008 - 06:48
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
It's too bad this band doesn't get enough attention. I'm currently listening to them for the first time in what seems like forever. Their new album sounds completely devastating. A must check out for fans of all things Metal!
----
The force will be with you, always.
23.04.2008 - 21:54
Hellish Star
Also try FIRES OF BABYLON with Winter's Bane guitarplayer and Rob Rock (ex Joshua, Warrior,Impellitteri, Avantasia,...) is worth checking out.
Fires of Babylon is a newly formed band cranking out classic 1980s-style shredding U.S. heavy metal. The group features in its ranks the highly skilled and lauded lineup of guitarist Lou St. Paul (Winters Bane), vocalist Rob Rock, bassist Kelly Conlon (ex-Death, Monstrosity) and drummer Robert Falzano (Shatter Messiah, ex-Annihilator).

Debut album is available soon

Check http://www.myspace.com/firesofbabylon
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
05.02.2009 - 15:09
madgarry
Account deleted
The fires of Babylon cd is realy good,Lou st Paul has done a great job with it,seems to have gone quiet about wintersbane of late