Metal Storm logo
Vinyl

Original post

Posted by Sentinel65, 11.03.2012 - 04:30
Just a topic to discuss anything vinyl, but there are some specific questions I would like to know.
1. How does vinyl work? How do they get the music to play on this piece of plastic when a needle moves on it?
2. Is it possible to get newer vinyl albums for cheaper than $30? Everywhere I have looked so far they are at least greater.
15.03.2012 - 22:54
Branzig
Written by vezzy on 15.03.2012 at 21:39

Meanwhile in the developing world...

Right...

I'll file you under: "Not Getting It."

haha
----
In Grind We Crust
15.03.2012 - 23:14
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Branzig on 15.03.2012 at 22:54
Right...

I'll file you under: "Not Getting It."

haha

I'm not gonna delay my taxes so I can flaunt over the PRETTY VISUALS LOLOLOL and the TOTALLY GENUINE SOUND BRO.

In the end, the package remains trivial, as opposed to the meat. It feels good to have a physical copy, yeah, but I can do just fine without it if it means not shelving cash for survival.

Also I don't believe that music and all other forms of entertainment are luxuries. Not today.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.03.2012 - 23:29
Branzig
Written by vezzy on 15.03.2012 at 23:14

I'm not gonna delay my taxes so I can flaunt over the PRETTY VISUALS LOLOLOL and the TOTALLY GENUINE SOUND BRO.

In the end, the package remains trivial, as opposed to the meat. It feels good to have a physical copy, yeah, but I can do just fine without it if it means not shelving cash for survival.

Also I don't believe that music and all other forms of entertainment are luxuries. Not today.

To each their own.

I am guessing that where you live, there aren't a whole lot of record shops around, so you don't get to enjoy the thrill of the "hunt" like I get too. Not to mention I get plenty of opportunity to turn a profit on what I have as well...so it's an investment to me. You may not see them as a luxary, but plenty of people here do, and I am more than happy to take their cash in trade for them.

Also, I have an established community of traders in my area along with all of our record shops, so it's a social event too. We can get together, trade albums (be them vinyl, cassette, or CD) have some brews, listen to tunes, and just have a good time overall.

So, as pleasing as the visuals are and knowing that "I Have This" it's also a deeper thing to me.

I guess it's a matter of my environment, having a career where I can invest the money and know I'll more than most likely be making a profit down the road, and having the resources/room to cater to the hobby.

If I was as young as you, I wouldn't be able to afford it or have fun with it either.
----
In Grind We Crust
15.03.2012 - 23:32
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Branzig on 15.03.2012 at 23:29
tl;dr

No, we don't really have record stores. Nobody actually buys music here anymore. Or any media for that matter.

I've heard great things about the whole "legendary" tape trading scene, but I wasn't there to experience it.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.03.2012 - 23:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

Well, I respect people who at least buy their downloads, they are the only ones that have an excuse about storage if they want to use such an excuse.

Also, the developing thing, I suppose it's just a joke since developing world doesn't really have that much to do with buying cds tbh. At least not in the long run since this media will always be available.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.03.2012 - 00:09
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Some examples of good deals I've got on eBay: Powermad's "Absolute Power" LP for $1.98 + $4.00 s/h, Black Tusk/The Holy Mountain "7 Split $6.20 + $2.26 s/h, and an autographed copy of Finntroll's "Nifelvind" LP (which including poster, and CD copy as well) $12.50 + $2.96 s/h.
16.03.2012 - 00:26
Branzig
Written by Guest on 16.03.2012 at 00:09

Some examples of good deals I've got on eBay: Powermad's "Absolute Power" LP for $1.98 + $4.00 s/h, Black Tusk/The Holy Mountain "7 Split $6.20 + $2.26 s/h, and an autographed copy of Finntroll's "Nifelvind" LP (which including poster, and CD copy as well) $12.50 + $2.96 s/h.

If you're interested in selling, and that Finntroll is a pure import, you will probably make some bucks off of that.
----
In Grind We Crust
16.03.2012 - 08:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

They ARE luxuries because they are not needed to survive every day life, unlike food, housing etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.03.2012 - 17:43
Branzig
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2012 at 08:20

They ARE luxuries because they are not needed to survive every day life, unlike food, housing etc.

I agree 100%...

But I didn't want to give him any snacks to munch on
----
In Grind We Crust
08.04.2012 - 00:07
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Just picked up some vinyl from the local consignment shop today. They don't really carry much in the way of metal, but they have some decent classic rock albums from time to time. For a whopping total of $6 I bought Jethro Tull - Aqualung, Journey - Escape, and Kansas - Leftoverture.
08.04.2012 - 01:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by vezzy on 15.03.2012 at 23:32

Written by Branzig on 15.03.2012 at 23:29
tl;dr

No, we don't really have record stores. Nobody actually buys music here anymore. Or any media for that matter.

I've heard great things about the whole "legendary" tape trading scene, but I wasn't there to experience it.

I think you are generalizing. Of all the "metal people" I know, I'm the only one who really buys stuff from time to time, but I'm pretty sure there are lots of others who also buy albums and stuff. Bulgaria being pretty much Romania with a different language, I'm sure there are the "buyers" there too, even only for lack of a better thing to do with their money.

to be ontopic, my grandma mistakenly threw away my dad's vinyl collection (mostly semi-obscure classic rock bands). the turntable stopped working quite some years ago, so it wasn't any real loss. I do want to buy a set to listen to vinyls though, it's just that really kvlt feeling associated with CD's, only much better. I also especially love how vinyls have much better-thought out cover art, like for example "Thick As A Brick" unfolds to be an actual newspaper, or Uriah Heep's album "Look At Yourself" has a distorted mirror on the cover. Then there's of course Spinal Tap's album cover, which simply could be none more black.
08.04.2012 - 04:19
Branzig
Written by Valentin B on 08.04.2012 at 01:47

I also especially love how vinyls have much better-thought out cover art, like for example "Thick As A Brick" unfolds to be an actual newspaper, or Uriah Heep's album "Look At Yourself" has a distorted mirror on the cover. Then there's of course Spinal Tap's album cover, which simply could be none more black.

Agreed 100000%!

Most LP jackets and what not have WAY better art.

I also like "swirl" art that some of the vinyls I own have. I have a bunch of Misfits LP's that have red/black. purple/black, and green/black swirls. They just look soooo sick!
----
In Grind We Crust
19.04.2012 - 18:44
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Vinyl is a hobby of mine...

Vinyl pants...
19.04.2012 - 22:51
Sentinel65
How much would you guys guess a 2 vinyl special edition copy of Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory, autographed by Jordan Rudess, is worth?
21.04.2012 - 13:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Sentinel65 on 19.04.2012 at 22:51

How much would you guys guess a 2 vinyl special edition copy of Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory, autographed by Jordan Rudess, is worth?

this is what the vinyl has done up to now on eBay http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=dream+theater+scenes&incldescr=&sortord=dprice&thumbs=&currsel=

but looking at the average price I think you would be lucky to score 40 USD for it
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.12.2012 - 02:15
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
The thing is, with vinyl, the sound is preserved much better than it is on the digital files on a CD. It's not just about a physical copy. Even mp3s are compressed files that don't display the audio information in quite as much detail. It's why, while I can't afford vinyls (though it's my deepest wish to have every one of my favorite albums as a vinyl), I rip every one of my CDs as a WAV file. It takes up a lot more space on my computer, but none of the audio quality is lost.

It's the similar to why the loudness war is destroying audio quality in some cases.

Resurgence of cassette tapes? That's just for retards. There's nothing about tapes that a CD can't do. Except, of course, tapes can get ruined much more easily, they sound like shit, and rewinding/fastforwarding is a HUGE pain in the ass, etc. People who want a resurgence of tapes are just hipsters who think that it's "retro" even when there's nothing logical or special about bringing tapes back.
----
24.12.2012 - 12:15
IronAngel
Yes, because vinyls totally don't wear down in use.

Unless by "preserved" you mean vinyl is technically capable of better sound quality than CD and that's why they sound better to you ears. But that's simply false. It has nothing to do with the loudness war, which is not a technical inevitability but bad sound engineering (or whatever the correct term). It can be avoided. The CD is still technically superior to the vinyl, which has more sentimental value.
26.12.2012 - 01:16
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by IronAngel on 24.12.2012 at 12:15

Unless by "preserved" you mean vinyl is technically capable of better sound quality than CD and that's why they sound better to you ears. But that's simply false....

The CD is still technically superior to the vinyl, which has more sentimental value.

Well, if that's true, then I guess it's good I'm buying CDs. You can't say that CDs don't have better quality than the mp3s you get off of the web, though. I've been able to notice a pretty decent quality difference between 320 kbps mp3 files and the 1411.2 kbps WAV files. Most mp3s you get on Amazon or iTunes are around the 256 kbps area.

Edit: I did a bit of research, and most of the sources I checked confirm that you are correct. CDs are capable of a higher sound quality. I guess audio DVDs are becoming the next thing, and should be even higher quality than a CD. Maybe if I ever get a shit-ton of money, I'll buy all my favorite albums on Blu-ray audio discs. That would be cool.
----
26.12.2012 - 01:49
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I'm sticking with my opinion on cassettes, though. For reasons already explained in detail on Cracked.com:

"Sure, from a portability standpoint, the cassette was great. And I have no doubts that for the artist, producing a batch of cassettes is a lot cheaper than manufacturing the same number of vinyl LPs or CDs. But that is absolutely where the benefits of the cassette end.

If you were lucky enough to not grow up during the heyday of the cassette and are perhaps considering buying yourself a pair of lensless Buddy Holly glasses and joining up with your local Silverlake-based cassette tape cooperative, let me give you a brief rundown of the magic that cassettes had to offer.

For one thing, you never knew when listening to your favorite album was going to turn into a "this message will self-destruct" type of event. That's because, seemingly with no rhyme or reason, cassette tapes and decks would just fail, and that failure wasn't minor.

It happened a lot with cassettes. You have to use a pen to fix it. A pen and Scotch tape if there's a break. And even then, the audio is going to sound wobbly and stupid once you've "fixed" the issue. Like you're listening to Prince underwater.

Also, here's a question: Do people still even use the phrase "fast forward" anymore as it relates to listening to music? When was the last time you had to do that? No, we skip songs. People did that with cassettes, too, the only difference was you just had to push the fast forward button and hope you stopped it at the precise moment where one song fades into the next. You never did. Ever.

And don't even get me started on how difficult cassettes were to steal compared to MP3s. It's not even a contest."

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-we-need-to-stop-feeling-nostalgic-for_p2/#ixzz2G6uuIIU1
----
17.07.2013 - 11:40
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Staff
So after 15 or so years of collecting CD's, i've finally decided to start my own vinyl collection

It's something i have wanted to do for a long time as nothing can beat the audio & visual experience that vinyl provides IMO, it just wasn't practical for me to start collecting them until now. When i was in my teens & 20's, I spent most of that time moving around between countries & living on a tight budget that is typical of the student lifestyle. I continued buying CD's where i could although even that stopped for a few years as i finished up my education.

Since hitting 30 & settling down, getting married, getting my own place & getting a decent paying job, I suddenly have the space & disposable income to take up this hobby. I've probably doubled my CD collection in the last year alone as i've been able to afford it, and the time just feels right to start getting into vinyl. It's a difficult & impractical thing to get into though, especially when living here in UAE as there is no market for this kind of thing what-so-ever. I have managed to find one shop that sells semi-decent turntables, so i'll be purchasing one & setting up my system after I move house in September/October.

As for buying vinyls, i'm limited to online purchases only due to the market here. I've been doing that with CD's for years though so no change there, just more expensive I don't plan on owning a huge vinyl collection as i'll still predominently collect CD's & reserve my vinyl purchases to my favourite albums and limited editions etc.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
14.04.2014 - 12:04
toxx
Supreme being
I'm new to collecting vinyl. Going to a huge annual used/antique market in the end of the month, and it's usually tons of used vinyl to sift through there. Anything I should keep an eye out for? Any gems I should go for if I find it?
14.04.2014 - 22:43
no one
Account deleted
Looking back at my post, i have realized i have fallen from the false hope and started buying vinyl again. Not in massive amounts, but ya can't really beat it

also my trendy joke was super lame, and it all depends how much booklet is on a cd or vinyl ....think i will delete that post
15.04.2014 - 00:35
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Jaeryd on 24.12.2012 at 02:15

Resurgence of cassette tapes? That's just for retards. There's nothing about tapes that a CD can't do. Except, of course, tapes can get ruined much more easily, they sound like shit, and rewinding/fastforwarding is a HUGE pain in the ass, etc. People who want a resurgence of tapes are just hipsters who think that it's "retro" even when there's nothing logical or special about bringing tapes back.

While spewing ill-mannered slurs out, you seem to forget that cassettes are smaller, cheaper and a lot easier to have made. As if rewinding is a "HUGE" pain in the ass, it's about as much effort as flipping the vinyl you seem to be blowing your load over.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.04.2014 - 00:52
no one
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.04.2014 at 00:35

Written by Jaeryd on 24.12.2012 at 02:15

While spewing ill-mannered slurs out, you seem to forget that cassettes are smaller, cheaper and a lot easier to have made. As if rewinding is a "HUGE" pain in the ass, it's about as much effort as flipping the vinyl you seem to be blowing your load over.

totally agree
i also like being able to buy something small and physical from an artist when i'm piss broke, and being able to slap it in the tape deck of my car with no fucking about in a cd case or scrolling through my ipod.
15.04.2014 - 08:59
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Guest on 15.04.2014 at 00:52

totally agree
i also like being able to buy something small and physical from an artist when i'm piss broke, and being able to slap it in the tape deck of my car with no fucking about in a cd case or scrolling through my ipod.

Haven't bought a single cassette yet, but I'm gonna keep an eye out for it. I have an old Toshiba tape player that needs to be put back to work after many years in the basement A lot of stuff here: http://www.neseblodrecords.com/demo.php They also have loads of vinyl. If you're ever in Norway, make sure you visit this shop. It has recently moved to what was once the infamous record store "Helvete", owned by Euronymous. They have a small balck metal museum as well

I also use a stereo amp from the same rig, a Toshiba SB-230. Easy set-up. Has Phono, so just hooked up my record player directly. Sadly, the original record player from Toshiba is broken beyond repair, so I use a "new" Rega RP-1. Pretty good, and very affordable player. Only upgraded with a an Ortofon 2M pickup.
15.04.2014 - 13:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Even though cassettes have their huge set-backs they are immense fun. Whenever bands release a demo I prefer to get them on cassette. Also loads of newer cassette only labels spend a lot of time on elaborate packaging. The sort that can't be done with cd's. And the biggest plus about cassettes is their price tag. They're so much cheaper than cd's/iTunes/vinyl.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.04.2014 - 16:42
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.04.2014 at 00:35

Comment is over a year old, mate. Opinions may have changed since then.
----