Metal Storm logo
Best hardcore punk band?

Original post

Posted by Sentinel65, 29.03.2012 - 03:43
Judge in terms of influence, talent, personal preference, etc. Personally mine is Black Flag, Henry Rollins is an energetic vocalist and Greg Ginn is a great guitarist.

Poll

Which is the best hardcore punk band?

Other
Black Flag
Dead Kennedys
The Misfits
Bad Brains
The Circle Jerks
Minor Threat
Flipper
7 Seconds

Total votes: 24
10.04.2012 - 18:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 10.04.2012 at 09:03
It would be logical, yes. Unfortunately, when you use the term "metalcore" with anyone under the age of 30, they assume you're talking about bands like As I Lay Dying or Bullet For My Valentine. I usually just phrase it like "hardcore-metal" when trying to describe it. As much as Branzig tries to deny it, bands like Hatebreed and Cancer Bats are hardcore, yet they don't really fit in with what most people these days consider "metalcore".

AILD and BFMV are melodic metalcore. Bands like Zao and Converge are metalcore, which is where you would find Hatebreed and - possibly - Cancer Bats.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.04.2012 - 19:52
Branzig
I hate when people call this metalcore:

Yes, it does happen.
----
In Grind We Crust
11.04.2012 - 00:57
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by IronAngel on 05.04.2012 at 13:14

Yeah, this topic seems to have taken a strange turn in differentiating between "hardcore punk" and "hardcore." One is just short for the other (unless you're referring to the electronic genre). If you google it, you won't find a distinction between the two. I shudder to think how many new genres and categorizations have been invented here in MS's history. >_>

Whether post-hardcore is hardcore (punk) is another matter. The "post"-prefix suggests that it's something other than what it follows, usually a reaction to it. Post-structuralism is a reaction to structuralism, post-rock saw itself as moving popular music beyond rock, etc. But to be honest, I really don't hear such a big difference between hardcore and post-hardcore: one is a bit more melodic and may employ more clean vocals, but the basis is the same. Both etiologically, musically and in terms of scene, I would lump emo, screamo and post-hardcore all under the punk umbrella.

Leave it to Iron to go all intellectual on us
----
rekt
15.06.2012 - 00:50
DeadHeadPunk
Account deleted
Written by Branzig on 06.04.2012 at 20:01

For me, Hardcore Punk WILL ALWAYS = Hardcore.

If anyone really wants to get a in-depth background in Hardcore I highly suggest the book: "American Hardcore: A Tribal History."

It's soo good and so full of incredible stories from the people that lived it. It will make you realize that hardcore punk will always = hardcore. And that the crap they classify as hardcore today will never live up to what that term really means to me.

Same here. I hear kids talking about how they listen to "hardcore" bands, and its shit like Atilla or Chelsea Grin, screamo deathcore stuff. Now deathcore may have some hardcore elements in it, but whenever i hear the term "hardcore" bands like Black Flag, Discharge, GBH, Bad Brains and the Exploited come to mind. That to me personally is hardcore.
15.06.2012 - 00:52
DeadHeadPunk
Account deleted
But to stay on topic Black Flag is the best hardcore punk band imo. Besides maybe Discharge.
15.06.2012 - 06:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I still like Hatebreed, but appearently they don't count

So I'll vote for The Dead Kennedy's. Love a lot of their material.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.06.2012 - 10:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.06.2012 at 06:02

I still liek Hatebreed, but appearently they don't count

Imo their first two would definitely count in this thread. Else you might as well discount SIck Of It All and Agnostic Front here
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2012 - 15:37
helofloki
Love Bad Brains. After trying fusion and dub, they decided they'd rather do punk. But seriously, great stuff.
21.08.2012 - 15:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by helofloki on 21.08.2012 at 15:37

Love Bad Brains. After trying fusion and dub, they decided they'd rather do punk. But seriously, great stuff.

Bad Brains playing fusion and dub?

They mixed pu their hardcore punk with reggae songs, but that's it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2012 - 15:57
helofloki
Before they were Bad Brains they were called 'Mind Power' and played Jazz fusion. And they never actually gave up dub/reggae, it's on most if not all of their albums.
27.01.2013 - 08:11
squidrick420
I went with Circle Jerks. I can't really pick a true favorite because there are a lot of hardcore bands that I like, but there is just something about the Circle Jerks, and i think that is Keith Morris.
05.03.2013 - 17:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Immolate-Demo 2011

Streaming here.