Metal Storm logo
When do you add a band to your favorite bands list?

02.09.2012 - 04:32
Oaken
Hipster
How many albums from a bands discography do you listen to before putting them in your list? Do you add them after one album or do you have to be a die hard fan who listened to their whole discography?
Personally, I used to put a lot of bands in my favorite bands list that I didn't really like and only listened to a few songs from, but now, I only add bands that I really like and listen to most albums in their discography.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
02.09.2012 - 08:05
Crucifux
Account deleted
If a band consistently produces albums I like, then it gets added. Pretty simple.
02.09.2012 - 08:42
Edmund Fogg
Please stop this.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
02.09.2012 - 12:10
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I used to have a long list of "favorite" bands, but then i decide to keep only the very most favorite ones...now i have 11 and the choice is based on feeling, that those really mean most to me, although i have many other bands i like of course
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.09.2012 - 12:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
If a band has released several albums that I consider brilliant then it gets on the list. Some exceptions could go to bands with only one album but their sheer brilliance is enough (Lurker Of Chalice for example).

You also have to take notice of the fact that you get notifications for news in your band list. I know some people that just put the bands they are just interested in so they can get news about them as soon as possible which I think is quite a smart move.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.09.2012 - 15:07
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I put them in my list when I decide they are a favorite band. Pretty easy.
02.09.2012 - 16:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 02.09.2012 at 15:07

I put them in my list when I decide they are a favorite band. Pretty easy.

Yup.

You shouldn't have to start a thread about it
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.09.2012 - 17:41
Malphas
You can actually get the news from a band just by adding them to your "updates" list, so they don't have to be on your favorites for that xD and i don't have a facebook so that option is invalid for me personally

and for me i have to say that i don't judge a band at all, let alone add them to my favorites before i listen to their whole discography, and when i like most of their work (sometimes i like all of their stuff...which is good if a band is that consistent) i add them to my favs..now you might check and see that my favs list is quite big..that's because i enjoy a lot of stuff and i don't limit myself to only 1 genre and start wars about what genre to put a band into, so, simply put, if i like it, i listen to it, if i don't i just don't

and another thing which the topic name doesn't state but i think is worth mentioning here is the album rating criteria. In my opinion there are two. #1 how you personally feel about an album, what it means to you. and #2 an objective, neutral point of view actually rating the artistic value of the album...so even though i haven't spent much time writing reviews, i'd still say that i use the 2nd method for that, or when i'm having a conversation about how good an album really is, but since the bands i add as my favs are actually my favs (duh...inception style xD) i use the 1st method for my actual album votes, so that also explains how the bands actually end up on my favorites list xD
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
02.09.2012 - 19:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I can't begin to fathom that the hows and whys of including, or not including, bands in your profile list would be worth opening a topic up for. I Personally don't give a crap if people have 1 band or 100. I certainly don't care about the psychology or practicalities behind it. This is a topic for a shoutbox, not a thread.
02.09.2012 - 19:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.09.2012 at 19:46

This should be closed because you don't care about it?

No it should be closed because it's a waste of space, quite literally. There's no potential topic of discussion here, only a short list of possible points. What next: How do you decide what order to put your bands list in? Alphabetical, chronological, by genre? I don't know how much more irrelevant a topic you can get.
02.09.2012 - 20:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.09.2012 at 19:59

Well there's a potential of learning, and why not discussion too. Perhaps someone changes their style or thinks about enhancing their way of supporting little bands. Malphas comment was interesting to me. I'm interested how people understand terms such 'favorite' and 'fan'. And why and when they put them to favorites (does it reflect real life behaviourism too?). Analyzing stuff related to music can be fun and interesting.

I suspect the only topic of conversation this thread will inspire is whether or not something so banal should exist in the first place, amidst a storm of verbatim "I add bands when I like them" comments.
02.09.2012 - 20:12
Zombie94
If it's a new band with just one album I love or if I like the majority of a band's discography.
02.09.2012 - 20:34
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 02.09.2012 at 19:39

I can't begin to fathom that the hows and whys of including, or not including, bands in your profile list would be worth opening a topic up for. I Personally don't give a crap if people have 1 band or 100. I certainly don't care about the psychology or practicalities behind it. This is a topic for a shoutbox, not a thread.

I agree with you that the topic is useless, but given that THERE"S A SHITLOAD more topics that are more useless than this one, I saw no problem in creating this one.
----
02.09.2012 - 20:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Oaken on 02.09.2012 at 20:34

I agree with you that the topic is useless, but given that THERE"S A SHITLOAD more topics that are more useless than this one, I saw no problem in creating this one.

Can't say I see the logic there but I do agree the entire Metal Arena area is littered with worse topics. Which is why I never venture there.
02.09.2012 - 20:40
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 02.09.2012 at 20:37

Written by Oaken on 02.09.2012 at 20:34

Can't say I see the logic there but I do agree the entire Metal Arena area is littered with worse topics. Which is why I never venture there.

Like this one.
----
02.09.2012 - 23:25
Thrashette
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.09.2012 at 12:45

I know some people that just put the bands they are just interested in so they can get news about them as soon as possible which I think is quite a smart move.

That's exactly what I do. I already had a bunch of bands added to favourites before I knew you could just add them to the list of bands you want updates from (and probably before this site had that feature actually), and now I'm too lazy to organize it.

My list of favourite bands on Facebook is more accurate. I usually add bands to that list when I've heard and thoroughly enjoyed most or all of their discography to the point that I know I'd be willing to spend money on seeing them live, getting one of their shirts or albums, etc... But I also add lots of local bands, especially friends' bands, to that list just for updates and to give them publicity. There's also some bands that I don't put on that list regardless of how much I enjoy them, because they don't have an official band/fan page and I have nothing to gain from it aside from making that part of my profile look more cluttered than it already is.
03.09.2012 - 00:36
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Thrashette on 02.09.2012 at 23:25

Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.09.2012 at 12:45

I know some people that just put the bands they are just interested in so they can get news about them as soon as possible which I think is quite a smart move.

That's exactly what I do. I already had a bunch of bands added to favourites before I knew you could just add them to the list of bands you want updates from (and probably before this site had that feature actually), and now I'm too lazy to organize it.

My list of favourite bands on Facebook is more accurate. I usually add bands to that list when I've heard and thoroughly enjoyed most or all of their discography to the point that I know I'd be willing to spend money on seeing them live, getting one of their shirts or albums, etc... But I also add lots of local bands, especially friends' bands, to that list just for updates and to give them publicity. There's also some bands that I don't put on that list regardless of how much I enjoy them, because they don't have an official band/fan page and I have nothing to gain from it aside from making that part of my profile look more cluttered than it already is.

Actually, it's the opposite for me. On MS I put only the bands I thoroughly enjoy, while on FB I throw in all bands that I've listened to an album by. I think that MS is strictly about metal, so I should only list stuff I enjoy a lot, whereas FB is more loose when it comes to music and likes in general (I've seen people who like artists they never heard).
----
03.09.2012 - 00:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Oaken on 03.09.2012 at 00:36
I think that MS is strictly about metal

Well shit, I got quite a few artists/bands in my list which aren't metal... Let's not even go to the forum discussions about non metal stuff.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.09.2012 - 00:44
Oaken
Hipster
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.09.2012 at 00:42

I think that MS is strictly about metal

Well shit, I got quite a few artists/bands in my list which aren't metal... Let's not even go to the forum discussions about non metal stuff.

Strictly about music I meant.
----
03.09.2012 - 12:28
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
What i think is, some people seem they have to have something to grumble about...now they choose your topics

i'd suggest you ignore them, the only thing that is really useless, are their posts how this topic is useless
----

03.09.2012 - 23:29
Fredd
Account deleted
I pressed the Random Band button and fav'd the first 15 bands I got.
03.09.2012 - 23:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Guest on 03.09.2012 at 23:29

wonder how you have got "AND MIDDLE-EASTERN BANDS"
----

03.09.2012 - 23:53
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 03.09.2012 at 23:47

Written by Guest on 03.09.2012 at 23:29

wonder how you have got "AND MIDDLE-EASTERN BANDS"

You're not really taking what I said seriously, are you.
04.09.2012 - 12:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Guest on 03.09.2012 at 23:53

You're not really taking what I said seriously, are you.

erm...no...of course

anyway, i can imagine it can work
----

04.09.2012 - 12:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
IN MS I dont do it offten, nowdays In lazy but generaly when I hear it and I like it and i listen it more how one time and same goes after years then its in my fav list
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.09.2012 - 13:37
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 04.09.2012 at 12:14

erm...no...of course

anyway, i can imagine it can work

It's ok man. Even I dont usually know if I'm serious or joking. And yes, it can work for kvlt people.
04.09.2012 - 16:18
Thrashette

Actually, it's the opposite for me. On MS I put only the bands I thoroughly enjoy, while on FB I throw in all bands that I've listened to an album by. I think that MS is strictly about metal, so I should only list stuff I enjoy a lot, whereas FB is more loose when it comes to music and likes in general (I've seen people who like artists they never heard).

If anything, I see that as a reason to give MS users a list of lots of bands I enjoy and to only list actual favourites on Facebook. I know what you mean though. Lots of my metalhead Facebook friends have hundreds of bands listed as favourites and as much as I try to narrow it down, I probably list too many bands as well.
05.09.2012 - 14:55
Monolithic
♠♠♠
I prefer to add a band without being a die hard fan, since it's that band's music, right?
05.09.2012 - 20:45
ANGEL REAPER
I add a band once i start to like 50% or more of their material ... usually that means about a half of their discography
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
06.09.2012 - 04:46
ohthechaosity
Its a general feeling for me, if I really like an album or an era of the band a lot, then I like them. If i like all there albums, I love them love them. And I guess if Im craving for more, I get more of their stuff. Simple really, lol.