07. Loyal Shadow
08. Rise Above The Sentiment
09. Parasite Blues
10. Owls Predict, Oracles Stand Guard

Staff review by
Dane Train
Rating:
N/A
Soilwork is a one trick pony. They do that trick really well...but it is still only one trick. Here is where both the strength and the weakness in this album rests. Their use of melodic death metal style verses offset with a more power metal chorus is catchy and down right fun at times. This formula is what Soilwork is know for and rightfully so; they are masters of it. There is not a song on this album that could be called weak yet none of them stand out. They all sound like Soilwork songs. There is very little difference between the songs here. With each one averaging about 4 minutes in length it is hard to tell them apart. The formula is the biggest downside here. They never stray from it and play if safe from start to finish.

Read more ››
published 12.03.2013 | Comments (24)

Found in 48 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 51   Visited by: 1230 users
16.12.2012 - 19:05
Rating: 8
Seriously cannot wait!!!
18.12.2012 - 13:29
Rating: 7
Risto
Wandering Midget
Holy crap, the speed has returned in addition to Björn.

23.12.2012 - 00:13
Rating: 9
Therapy?
Wow! Judging from this song, this could well be the new "Natural Born Chaos". Super excited!
18.01.2013 - 19:06
OpenMind
New single from the upcoming album of Soilwork: "The Bliss Momentary".
After "Spectrum of Eternity" here is another track from the album coming February 27th
18.01.2013 - 19:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by OpenMind on 18.01.2013 at 19:06

New single from the upcoming album of Soilwork: "The Bliss Momentary".
After "Spectrum of Eternity" here is another track from the album coming February 27th

Much better than the other song they released. The drums don't suffocate the music here.
18.01.2013 - 20:52
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 18.01.2013 at 19:13

Much better than the other song they released. The drums don't suffocate the music here.

Nah, "Spectrum of Eternity" has some balls this band's been lacking. I feel sorry for those who don't dig the vocal hooks.

The new one is pretty run-of-the-mill unfortunately, at least on initial listen. Pales in comparison to some similar Gothenburg songs recently written here in Finland.
18.01.2013 - 20:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Risto on 18.01.2013 at 20:52

Nah, "Spectrum of Eternity" has some balls this band's been lacking. I feel sorry for those who don't dig the vocal hooks.

The new one is pretty run-of-the-mill unfortunately, at least on initial listen. Pales in comparison to some similar Gothenburg songs recently written here in Finland.

If you ask me both songs are totally worthless in the current climate, this one just has the benefit of having a nostalgic element. Melodeath is a dead genre in all consideration. Barren Earth's debut was the last breath of fresh I've heard in the genre, just a shame they cocked their follow up to high heaven.
19.01.2013 - 18:12
Classic Soilwork, nothing new.
12.02.2013 - 18:30
Rating: 10
MetalSpider
If you guys havent heard the track by track preview, I would check it out. They're showing quite a bit of versatility
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
19.02.2013 - 17:10
Therapy?
Judging from the singles and previews, this album looks to become one heck of a badass return. "Spectrum of Eternity" gave me that long-lost Natural Born Chaos feeling. Let's hope it will be just as badass. I preordered it though because I know I will dig it in any case.
21.02.2013 - 16:46
MetalSpider
The album has leaked for those interested (double album I should say).

Its a very good double album imo. A great return for Soilwork! (Although I've been listening to Panic Broadcast the past few days and actually enjoyed it). But this new album has a better blend of old and new (which you hear more in certain songs than others).
----

21.02.2013 - 22:29
JÄY
Metal slave
Yeah it's pretty great! 2 listens in, I'd say there are a good 4 songs I'll be skipping. Def. over an hour of good music, tho
27.02.2013 - 18:30
B.O.K.
PERFECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:
27.02.2013 - 23:53
Fuck!!!!!! their best, wow
28.02.2013 - 00:51
MetalSpider
The more I listen to it, the more incredible it sounds!
----

01.03.2013 - 06:19
This is a Masterpiece, too bad that the Troll trv metalheads in this site come and put a minor number.
01.03.2013 - 14:07
Cassian
20 songs for one new album? OMG this is gonna take me a lot of time to enjoy it
02.03.2013 - 01:44
jesterhead57
Parasite Blues is an amazing track. Classic Soilwork.
02.03.2013 - 08:49
hadriel
Surprisingly thoroughly enjoyed this. Definitely one of the most solid releases for a bad that has been underwhelming as of late.
03.03.2013 - 09:42
Nunzie 69
I'm not saying this is a bad album,actually it's very good,and this is a type of metal I've been growing a little tired of. It just seems like they tried to write a hit song with every track, although the songs are varied they are still all very simular.If your going to write a 80 minute album I feel you need to take some chances and experiment, these guys are all excellent and seasoned musicians it would be nice to hear something they have hidden up their sleeve.
03.03.2013 - 10:55
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Nunzie 69 on 03.03.2013 at 09:42

It just seems like they tried to write a hit song with every track, although the songs are varied they are still all very simular.If your going to write a 80 minute album I feel you need to take some chances and experiment

Except they do experiment, compared to what usually is released in this genre. I do think over 80 minutes of Soilwork is a bit too much but there are some cool tracks in there that break the generic patterns. See "The Windswept Mercy" and "Antidotes In Passing" for example.

Overall I think the second disc is a little better, even though the first one has a fantastic opener.
03.03.2013 - 22:28
Nunzie 69
Written by Risto on 03.03.2013 at 10:55

Written by Nunzie 69 on 03.03.2013 at 09:42

It just seems like they tried to write a hit song with every track, although the songs are varied they are still all very simular.If your going to write a 80 minute album I feel you need to take some chances and experiment

Except they do experiment, compared to what usually is released in this genre. I do think over 80 minutes of Soilwork is a bit too much but there are some cool tracks in there that break the generic patterns. See "The Windswept Mercy" and "Antidotes In Passing" for example.

Overall I think the second disc is a little better, even though the first one has a fantastic opener.

I just can't keep myself interested in this for over 80 minutes. When for the most point nothing really different or surprising jumps out at me, and with a double album I believe you need that. When you have over 80 minutes to spare I expect some surprises, but in all there are some real good tunes here.
04.03.2013 - 19:20
Fearless
Just listen to it, HOLY SHIT! Pure gold!
----
CEO and founder of Rose Booking.
SHOWS | TOURS | FESTIVALS

Rose Booking is a booking agency with a global involvement within the live entertainment

Metal is the LAW!
Stay Metal!
05.03.2013 - 01:41
Therapy?
I received my earbook edition today. Boy am I going to enjoy listening this!
05.03.2013 - 16:39
musicalkaratekid
Well, this album's certainly an earful! Admittedly it's my first real taste of Soilwork, but I'm really liking this so far! The melody of the clean vocals I feel flow well with the harmony of the rhythm section. There's a lot of songs I could pick out as my favourite, but I think 'Memories confined' and 'Loyal shadow' sum up the quality of the musicianship on here.
06.03.2013 - 03:06
Coconut Racecar
Björn's vocals get a little better with every release it seems. Liking this a lot.
06.03.2013 - 08:48
JÄY
Metal slave
Been listening for weeks now.... still awesome
06.03.2013 - 15:28
MeloDeathViking
I was I initially sceptical about a double album, but not any more. I love this album. I think it's their best since Natural Born Chaos.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
07.03.2013 - 00:11
Therapy?
I've listened to both CD's a couple of times now, and I still haven't fully taken in the whole album completely. If that makes sense. Albums usually have one, two, or even three songs that really stand out as favourites. But it is hard to pick them out here, because of the sheer quality that oozes throughout the whole album.

Where the last couple of Soilwork albums also provided mostly quality songs throughout, they did kind of lack inspiration of some sort. They had a very strong "been there, done that" feeling to them. Especially STAGD. But here... here almost every song has something really powerful. Something fresh, something "new" to enjoy. And that is quite an accomplishment, because it's really hard and tricky to create an album with so many songs, and to keep it fun to listen to without getting bored. Plus, here and there you find a glance from to the Natural Born Chaos era that I really dig.

I'm inclined to give this a 10. But I can't justify it... yet. I need to experience and investigate it further and really find my favourites among this phenomenal album.
10.03.2013 - 12:50
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I still admire these guys for their attitude and what they did back in the day, but they really let themselves go, there's like 2 good songs on this album and the others come out as bad copies. I can only listen to their first 5 albums.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets

Hits total: 35583 | This month: 53