Metal Storm logo
Awards Voting Now Closed

So February has come and gone, as did, undoubtedly, several of our voters.

Alt Metal, Death, Folk/Pagan, Gothic, Melodeath, Melodic Black, Power, Prog, and Thrash all exceeded 1,000 votes.

We had our share of the usual Big Band Beat Downs where the winner was a foregone conclusion about six minutes into voting? Saturnus, Be'lakor, and Enslaved pummeled the opposition, Meshuggah received almost 60% of the vote in Djent with over 500 while no one else came close to cracking the century mark, and Gojira racked up almost as many votes as the entire Stoner/Sludge field?

We also had perhaps our tightest race yet, with Neurosis and Atoma changing pole position repeatedly, and only a two vote gap between 'em as I started typing this a couple hours before votes close.

Wintersun almost pulled the dubious double, winning "Biggest Surprise" (most likely because the album was actually released? certainly not what the album sounded like), and were spared another win in the "Biggest Letdown" category only because the unsung heroes of Ensiferum managed to disappoint more of their fans.

Congrats to Atoma and Immensity, best debut and best Clandestine Cut, respectively, for leading a promising pack of bands. Metal's future is bright indeed.

All the results can now be viewed on the Awards Main Page.

We also had a wide variety of responses from bands upon being notified of their nomination.

Evoken

Quote:

If you have a moment, the staff over at Metal Storm have included Evoken- "Atra Mors" among the albums for best extreme doom album of 2012. All one has to do is vote. Don't believe it's there for album of 2012, but for extreme doom, which is an honor either way. So, have a vote if you wish, if not that's fine too. At least it's not worst album of 2012.

(Not even close to worst of 2012, guys!)

Aura Noir:

Quote:

Hi man. It's very nice to be nominated but it stops there for us. We don't feel good about bitching people with"please vote for us!!!" two times a day..haha..But cheers!

(Respect the lack of spam.)

Lurk

Quote:

LURK's s/t is nominated for the Best Sludge / Stoner Album of 2012 on Metalstorm.net and also in competition for the Best Debut. If you hate the world, you will give us your vote.

(Guess that argument makes casting your vote a no-brainer!)

To the extremely humble:

Verwüstung

Quote:

You can vote for my dumb album here or one of the many better releases on this list.

Carach Angren even used social media to encourage their fans to write them in in the open "Best Video" category.

And the WINNER of the Most Effort By A Band To Win The MSAs goes to..... Lumus, who not only put a big Metalstorm banner on their facebook page cover photo in place of usual fractals or landscapes, they also took the time to record a "how to vote" and popped it up on youtube:

And, finally, congrats to all of the bands that were nominated, whether by MS staff or written in, as well as the fans who took the time to check out the lesser-known acts to see what the excitement was about.

After all the fans finding new bands and bands gaining new fans are the real winners.

\m/
Posted: 01.03.2013 by BitterCOld

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 78   Visited by: 761 users
01.03.2013 - 00:11
Zap
"After all the fans finding new bands and bands gaining new fans are the real winners."
Totally.
After a quick look I saw some of the bands I voted for win, and some of the bands I hated win. All in all I'm happy Sylosis almost beat Overkill in thrash metal, that is almost a victory in itself. Would love to have seen Elysian Blaze win extreme doom and Wilderun folk or debut. (Or both)
01.03.2013 - 00:12
Rulatore
The Faceless' "Autotheism" over Dying Fetus's "Reign Supreme" ?

REALLY ?

2012 was a good metal year to me.
01.03.2013 - 00:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Quote:
After all the fans finding new bands and bands gaining new fans are the real winners.

\m/

The true spirit of the MSA lies in this quote, man. \m/
A pat on the back to everyone involved.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2013 - 00:35
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Wow, I didn't remember the results would go online as soon as the voting closed, didn't give me time to put my whinestorm suit on.

Well, I'm really happy for Atoma. Gotta have monstrous talent to get all those votes with a debut album... and that head-to-head with Neurosis was pretty epic, glad I collaborated with their win.
Saddest part for me was probably how everyone just went for Meshuggah in the Math category, but it's a good album anyway.

P.D: oh, and thanks to everyone involved, I discovered around twenty kickass albums thanks to this
01.03.2013 - 00:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I totally forgot to vote in most categories

Oh well.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.03.2013 - 00:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 01.03.2013 at 00:35
Saddest part for me was probably how everyone just went for Meshuggah in the Math category, but it's a good album anyway.

Yeah... I mean, I don't want to whine (major lie!) but damn that was definitely the least interesting album in that category BY FAR. Basically any other nominee was better to me. xD
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2013 - 00:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Congrats BaN for finally winning an award. Would have loved to have seen it win the black metal cat as well, and it wasn't far off doing so. I should have plugged them a bit more
01.03.2013 - 00:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 01.03.2013 at 00:50

Congrats BaN for finally winning an award. Would have loved to have seen it win the black metal cat as well, and it wasn't far off doing so. I should have plugged them a bit more

I'm was a bit surprised that they won on industrial. I was almost thinking that Killing Joke was going to win. The biggest surprise though was the fact that Igorrr got waaaaay more votes than I thought and came second. That's just awesome.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2013 - 00:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.03.2013 at 00:53

I'm was a bit surprised that they won on industrial. I was almost thinking that Killing Joke was going to win. The biggest surprise though was the fact that Igorrr got waaaaay more votes than I thought and came second. That's just awesome.

To be honest it went the way I expected, going by the amount of votes each album got in the regular album thread. BaN had over 100 votes and Igorrr was a few votes ahead of KJ with 60 or so.
01.03.2013 - 01:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 01.03.2013 at 00:55
To be honest it went the way I expected, going by the amount of votes each album got in the regular album thread. BaN had over 100 votes and Igorrr was a few votes ahead of KJ with 60 or so.

Huh... I never thought of that. That is quite way to predict the votes (outside of the extremely obvious first places).
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2013 - 01:37
Night Theater
Can someone please put the awards onto one page (like how it was done in the other years)? I can understand if you want to have a link off for each category, to go into detail (which I think is great), but a shorter, one page summary (again, like the other years), would be great. Cheers.

EDIT: Essentially, have both.
01.03.2013 - 01:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I voted in most categories, now i wonder about results
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.03.2013 - 02:01
theFIST
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.03.2013 at 00:50

Written by Unhealer on 01.03.2013 at 00:35

Yeah... I mean, I don't want to whine (major lie!) but damn that was definitely the least interesting album in that category BY FAR. Basically any other nominee was better to me. xD

how did that piece of shit win a category?
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
01.03.2013 - 02:43
Night Theater
Even though Kamelot won the best video for Sacrimony (Angel of Afterlife), there is another vote for the same video, just without the "(Angel of Afterlife)". That could be fixed up.
01.03.2013 - 03:57
Gelati
Unfortunately the "big names" will always win, even in the not so big catagories. Most of us have come to that realization. No use getting butt hurt over things. I think everyone discovered some kick ass new material to listen to. It was a very good year with a lot of variety. \m/
01.03.2013 - 04:29
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Ellrohir on 01.03.2013 at 01:53

I voted in most categories, now i wonder about results

Written by Night Theater on 01.03.2013 at 01:37

Can someone please put the awards onto one page (like how it was done in the other years)? I can understand if you want to have a link off for each category, to go into detail (which I think is great), but a shorter, one page summary (again, like the other years), would be great. Cheers.

EDIT: Essentially, have both.

I was thinking a link should have been added in this post, but the resulsts are already online and exactly how you are describing it, Night.
01.03.2013 - 05:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
On a personal level, I really wish Prog Metal had gone to Hail Spirit Noir (or Best Debut, for that matter), but I suppose I can't complain, because I'm an Enslaved nut too. However, the Extreme Doom and Folk results are a bit disappointing, the result of Bitter Cold's so called "Big Band Beatdown" indeed. Elysian Blaze and Dordeduh should've easily won both, respectively. Blood Geometry and Dar De Duh were probably the two best-composed albums of 2012, and I'm not just saying that cuz I'm a black metal fanboy (or because I reviewed both albums either)
Other than that, I'd say I'm pretty satisfied with everything else. Seeing A Forest Of Stars take home Black Metal made my day
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.03.2013 - 06:10
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Night Theater on 01.03.2013 at 02:43

Even though Kamelot won the best video for Sacrimony (Angel of Afterlife), there is another vote for the same video, just without the "(Angel of Afterlife)". That could be fixed up.

Fixed. Thanks for the heads up
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
01.03.2013 - 06:41
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Zap on 01.03.2013 at 00:11

Would love to have seen (....) Wilderun folk or debut. (Or both)

Dude, same here!! They did well but that is really high quality music that could really have won.

Debut was an especially tough category but... still!!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
01.03.2013 - 06:46
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Well, Sylosis almost there on Overkill, nice to see that part.

little disappointed to see "DeathHammer" didn't walk away as a true winner. Nevertheless, not that much disappointment to see Kreator as a winner 'cause that definitely wasn't the bad album either.

got 4 correct, which for me isn't good. In Folk, omfg look at how many votes dropped in "Eluveitie" regime. For sure, an awesome stuff they came up in 2012.

had a little drama over WS but SHOCK to see them sweeping away a cat. Not fucking expected.

and aforementioned, thank you everyone who pulled off an awesome 2012 awards . Indeed, it was an incredible METAL year.

\m/[hush, using after lonnnnnnnng time]
01.03.2013 - 07:44
mferrariv
Even thought they "lost" to Belakor, In Mourning and their latest album "The Weight of the Oceans" are the the best band from 2012 in the Melodeath category. Hail In Mourning!
01.03.2013 - 07:54
Skyum
Am I the only one who doesn't hate the new Ensiferum? Sure, it doesn't get close to the brilliance of "From Afar", and it's generally less energetic, but there are some really good songs with great melodies on there.
01.03.2013 - 09:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Skyum on 01.03.2013 at 07:54

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the new Ensiferum?

prolly yes, but although i think this album sucks, i would rather see it on top than shitty Eluveitie

also Wintersun's Time I being a surprise of the year is funny...or maybe was surprising how bad it actually is?

at least i got 4 categories right
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.03.2013 - 10:23
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Surprising to so many bigger name metal bands in the running and winning this year when the MS awards generally highlight lesser known gems. Guess there weren't many good lesser known bands in some genres last year.
01.03.2013 - 10:23
Baz Anderson
Staff
Nice to see Orden Ogan came third in Power metal... one of my picks of the year.
01.03.2013 - 10:49
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I'm so glad Atoma won. It was a nice surprise. It was also surprising that The Faceless won. Great album though.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.03.2013 - 11:02
InnerSelf
proofread free
Atoma really deserved the win although I voted for Sunpocrisy but I'm happy for the guys in Atoma.
I was also happy to see Saturnus, A Forest of Stars (I voted Reverence), BaN (had a really hard time deciding whether to vote them or vote Igorrr but ended up voting for BaN).
Ahab winning was kind of a disappointment and I think if Evoken had won, it would have made more sense to me but still Ahab are a great band and The Giant was in no way a bad album, I voted Indesinence anyway

Great job with the awards this year and congrats for the bands who won.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
01.03.2013 - 11:08
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by InnerSelf on 01.03.2013 at 11:02

Ahab winning was kind of a disappointment and I think if Evoken had won, it would have made more sense to me but still Ahab are a great band and The Giant was in no way a bad album, I voted Indesinence anyway

Great job with the awards this year and congrats for the bands who won.

I think that Evoken should have won. Indesinence was also very good, so good choices
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.03.2013 - 12:00
Abattoir
Staff
Written by InnerSelf on 01.03.2013 at 11:02

To be honest, almost every album in extreme doom category is superior to Ahab's. Anyway I kind of assume it will end this way.

Nice to see Immensity (the one I've reviewed ) winning the CC's category.
01.03.2013 - 12:08
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Staff
Yeah extreme doom was such a strong category this year. I loved every single nomination but would have had Ahab last without a doubt.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid

Hits total: 6679 | This month: 7