Metal Storm logo
"Metroidvania" action games

27.03.2014 - 01:46
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So I recently played Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari in Japanese) and am currently looking for more games in this style. I read somewhere that those are called "metroidvania". basically 2d action games except that with an evolving plot, item trading, weapon evolving, etc.
Anyone play(ed)(s)/likes games like these and would be a dear and recommend some?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.03.2014 - 01:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Rogue Legacy is rather good and fun (not sure it even counts as one though). I'll be honest it's not a genre I'm all that familiar with so (well, outside of actually Metroid and Castlevania games) I'll probably keep an eye on what comes up here.

Again, not sure it's technically foremost a metroidvania but one you should definitely look out for is Starbound. You basically get a huge, 2D procedurally generated universe to explore in a spaceship where you can land on planets and hunt, farm, build stuff etc. Looks pretty rad.

27.03.2014 - 03:08
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
It seems like a 2d minecraft. Sounds pretty cool. And it looks a lot like other game I already played but can't remember the name.. I'm gonna give this a try.

If you haven't played Cave Story and like this genre you should. The game is awesome and so is its 8bit-esque OST. One of those you keep missing after the end.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
27.03.2014 - 03:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 27.03.2014 at 03:08

It seems like a 2d minecraft. Sounds pretty cool. And it looks a lot like other game I already played but can't remember the name.. I'm gonna give this a try.

Terraria?

Will definitely give Cave Story a go. Heard lots of nice things about it.
27.03.2014 - 03:58
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 27.03.2014 at 03:37

Terraria?

Yes. That's the one.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
27.03.2014 - 14:56
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Guest on 27.03.2014 at 03:37

Will definitely give Cave Story a go. Heard lots of nice things about it.

If you like this kind of games if definitely a must play. Quite hard, however!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
27.03.2014 - 15:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 27.03.2014 at 14:56

I was never very good at those one-hit death platform games, if that's what it is. Never know until I give it a go though!
27.03.2014 - 16:33
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Guest on 27.03.2014 at 15:22

Written by Darkside Momo on 27.03.2014 at 14:56

I was never very good at those one-hit death platform games, if that's what it is. Never know until I give it a go though!

I'm not a great platformer player myself... I have to admit that I haven't finished Cave Story :/ (blocked halfway through)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
28.03.2014 - 02:34
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I only finished it once and got the bad ending. (No, not the one you flee with Kazuma, but the other one where Curly dies...) Saving Curly on that game is a bitch... Must beat the labyrinth without getting the booster and other hardcore stuff
----
- Reimu Hakurei
30.03.2014 - 10:19
whatsacow
Valdis Story: Abyssal City - Metroidvania exploration with Action/combo based combat and a cool hand drawn aesthetic. Awesome.

Guacamelee - Metroidvania game where you play as a luchador who can turn into a chicken in a mexican day of the dead style world. If that doesn't arouse you slightly you aren't living right.

Dust: An Elysian Tail: Great game. Cool story, great art style, awesome combat. It was made by one person but there is no way you can tell.

Unepic: You play as a stoned guy playing D&D who is possibly hallucinating. Very funny.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
30.03.2014 - 20:56
Kinzoku
The Strider remake that just came out a while ago. There's no item trading tho.
28.06.2014 - 08:31
Ganondox
Metroidvania is one of my favorite game genres, if you go to Jayisgames they have it as a tag and you can find a bunch.
20.09.2022 - 15:54
nonZero
I feel that I can comment in this thread now and highly recommend Hollow Knight. I've never been much into 2D games but I am hooked on it! I first saw it on a list of best Soulslike games and decided to give it a shot, definitely a big suprise for me.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
20.09.2022 - 16:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by nonZero on 20.09.2022 at 15:54

I feel that I can comment in this thread now and highly recommend Hollow Knight. I've never been much into 2D games but I am hooked on it! I first saw it on a list of best Soulslike games and decided to give it a shot, definitely a big suprise for me.

Hollow Knight is great. One of my favorite metroidvanias.
Definitely better than souls =p
----
- Reimu Hakurei
31.03.2023 - 17:32
nonZero
Crowsworn looks like it might be a good metroidvania. Heavily inspired by Hollow Knight, Bloodborne and Devil May Cry apparently: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mongooserodeo/crowsworn-a-dark-and-mysterious-action-packed-metroidvania/description

----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
17.04.2023 - 18:24
Metal Rasputin
My favourite non-Castlevania Metroidvania-style game is called Blasphemous, you guys might have heard about it. The reason I love it is the style and the lore of the game, which are inspired by more gruesome and grotesque parts of Christianity. You know all the torture martyrs went through, mass murders, imagery of hell and stuff, great source material for some stylish horror. It's not a Christian game though, just inspired by it. The game was developed by a Spanish company, so they drew a lot of inspiration from local history and culture.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
22.08.2023 - 20:50
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Metal Rasputin on 17.04.2023 at 18:24

My favourite non-Castlevania Metroidvania-style game is called Blasphemous, you guys might have heard about it. The reason I love it is the style and the lore of the game, which are inspired by more gruesome and grotesque parts of Christianity. You know all the torture martyrs went through, mass murders, imagery of hell and stuff, great source material for some stylish horror. It's not a Christian game though, just inspired by it. The game was developed by a Spanish company, so they drew a lot of inspiration from local history and culture.

Happy to let you know that Blasphemous 2 will be released on Thursday, 23 August. Will probably be a contender for Game of the Year.