Metal Storm logo
Godflesh - New Song Streaming Online

A new Godflesh song? Yes, it's happening. The band just debuted "Ringer," the first song on the upcoming Decline & Fall EP, due out in the UK/Europe/Japan on June 2nd on vinyl, CD, digital. In the US, it will drop on June 26th on Avalanche Recordings. For now, you can check out "Ringer" available through the Soundcloud player below. Go ahead and stream it. Godflesh haven't released new music in a long time. Are you pleased with this one?

You can expect A World Lit Only By Fire, their new album, in late September.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Godflesh
Posted: 21.05.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 32   Visited by: 88 users
21.05.2014 - 23:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Already said it, but I'll say it again: disappointing. Weak and artificial sounding production and plain non-good song writing.
21.05.2014 - 23:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Not nearly as much a fan of these guys as others on here, but this track is still pretty lame and I'd be disappointed if all that time waiting for new material led to something so anticlimactic.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.05.2014 - 23:45
Lit.
Account deleted
Wow, that is a massive disappointment. God, I hope that's not an indication of things to come.
21.05.2014 - 23:49
mz
Let's hope that if this is going to be a representative of something, that "something" is just their EP not the full album planned to be released this year.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
21.05.2014 - 23:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Not sure what is so disappointing about it... i guess people must have had towering expectations.

the general feel/vibe is very similar to their first couple albums, which are easily my favorite of the catalog... sounds like some cross between the S/T release and something off Selfless.

my biggest issue is it sounds thin. would sound better if the drum machine had IMPACT closer to Mothra or the other more "metal" songs on Pure.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.05.2014 - 00:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.05.2014 at 23:39

Not nearly as much a fan of these guys as others on here, but this track is still pretty lame and I'd be disappointed if all that time waiting for new material led to something so anticlimactic.

I'm definitely not a Godflesh fanboy and had very little anticipation for this. I actually prefer the Fall of Because pre-Godflesh stuff, and merely appreciate some Godflesh. This though was very forgettable and lacking in anything especially creative or interesting from a sound or song writing perspective. The cover art is nice, though.
22.05.2014 - 00:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 22.05.2014 at 00:06
'm definitely not a Godflesh fanboy.

I was more so thinking of Rod when commenting that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.05.2014 - 00:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2014 at 00:07

I was more so thinking of Rod when commenting that.

Yeah I figured you might be =P just thought I'd distance myself, and make my comment a bit more "objective."
22.05.2014 - 00:24
SelfXPlanetOrE
I don't know what you guys were expecting; this is pretty much one of the best examples there is of Godflesh's signature sound, that is very industrial doom metal, with some hints of post-rock. However, if we did learn anything from albums like Us and Them and Hymns (especially Hymns), it's that the songs will all sound in some way different and standing out from each other. And, it's possible that the same will be able to be said about this one once it's released.
22.05.2014 - 00:33
mz
Written by SelfXPlanetOrE on 22.05.2014 at 00:24

I don't know what you guys were expecting; this is pretty much one of the best examples there is of Godflesh's signature sound, that is very industrial doom metal, with some hints of post-rock. However, if we did learn anything from albums like Us and Them and Hymns (especially Hymns), it's that the songs will all sound in some way different and standing out from each other. And, it's possible that the same will be able to be said about this one once it's released.

still bafled by those who call godflesh industrial doom. Seriously, how this, or other godflesh albums have doom in them?
----
22.05.2014 - 00:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by mz on 22.05.2014 at 00:33

still bafled by those who call godflesh industrial doom. Seriously, how this, or other godflesh albums have doom in them?

yeah, I don't get the doom thing either... I guess because it's metal, and it is slow. /shrug
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.05.2014 - 01:16
mz
Written by BitterCOld on 22.05.2014 at 00:50

yeah, I don't get the doom thing either... I guess because it's metal, and it is slow. /shrug

oddly enough, I've seen this band being called grindcore/doom/post metal/doom by different people :|
----
22.05.2014 - 01:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Genres are hard. Just ask Sam Dunn.
----
22.05.2014 - 01:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by mz on 22.05.2014 at 01:16

oddly enough, I've seen this band being called grindcore/doom/post metal/doom by different people :|

Grind probably stems from the Grindcrusher release & tour. That album and the first At Death's Door were awesome intro cds for me way back in the day.

...wayback machine... picked up Napalm Death "Harmony Corruption" in '91, then was sent to Guam. For some reason the exchange at the nearby Air Force base stocked a ton of the old Earache releases - was able to get Bolt Thrower, Confessor, Cathedral, and (pre-wall falling) Vader. Yeah. Polish death metal from beyond Iron Curtain, on a US military base in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. All for $11. Didn't carry Godflesh so a friend of mine, when on leave, scored the S/T, Streetcleaner, and Slavestate at the WaxTrax in Denver... they did carry Pure when it came out.

Had to pay $18.95 in town to get the Roadrunner acts like Death, Obituary, etc.
----

22.05.2014 - 01:55
mz
Written by BitterCOld on 22.05.2014 at 01:28

Grind probably stems from the Grindcrusher release & tour. That album and the first At Death's Door were awesome intro cds for me way back in the day.

...wayback machine... picked up Napalm Death "Harmony Corruption" in '91, then was sent to Guam. For some reason the exchange at the nearby Air Force base stocked a ton of the old Earache releases - was able to get Bolt Thrower, Confessor, Cathedral, and (pre-wall falling) Vader. Yeah. Polish death metal from beyond Iron Curtain, on a US military base in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. All for $11. Didn't carry Godflesh so a friend of mine, when on leave, scored the S/T, Streetcleaner, and Slavestate at the WaxTrax in Denver... they did carry Pure when it came out.

Had to pay $18.95 in town to get the Roadrunner acts like Death, Obituary, etc.

Good, was not aware of that Grindcrusher. I always thaought that the atribution of grind to godflesh stems from the history with napalm death.
Guess that you've been lucky enough with your introduction to extreme metal but I personally could not get into metal by a genre as extreme as grind or death metal. This could put me off.
----
22.05.2014 - 04:47
Rapid Fire
Not bad, the riffing is nice and it reminds me Selfless a lot, what is a good thing as Selfless is my favourite Godflesh album.
----
Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
22.05.2014 - 09:09
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Decent song. Really looking forward to the new EP and the full length.
22.05.2014 - 10:25
Paz
Elite
It's an okayish track. Expecting something much worse after those first comments.
22.05.2014 - 18:14
Koroviev
It really is ok. Let's see the rest of it.
26.05.2014 - 22:00
Dr.Overkill26
Not Bad. Sounds kind of Killing Joke-Esque to me, especially the vocals. Heavy, Surreptitious and slow, I'll probably like it more upon repeated listens.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
27.05.2014 - 18:49
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by mz on 22.05.2014 at 01:16

No post metal Godflesh. Industrial sludge metal is what it is.
----
rekt
27.05.2014 - 21:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 27.05.2014 at 18:49

No sludge metal in Godflesh either. People don't seem to understand that they're practically the archetypal industrial metal band, aside from Ministry, who were always more like sample-thrash than proper industrial to my ears. Godflesh are industrial metal, Pure and simple.
27.05.2014 - 22:10
mz
Written by tea[m]ster on 27.05.2014 at 18:49

Ha I forgot to give reply here. Not that I'm by any means an expert in sludge metal but to be honest, I really don't hear sludge in them. Neither the songwriting nor in the production sound similar to sludge for me.
----
28.05.2014 - 19:07
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Guest on 27.05.2014 at 21:10

No sludge metal in Godflesh either.

I don't think they are strictly Industrial. I hear sludge metal - more so atmospheric sludge metal: layers of distorted, down-tuned guitars with a lot of feedback.
----
rekt
28.05.2014 - 19:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 28.05.2014 at 19:07

I don't think they are strictly Industrial. I hear sludge metal - more so atmospheric sludge metal: layers of distorted, down-tuned guitars with a lot of feedback.

Then that's historical revisionism then as Godflesh have never been associated with sludge, and certainly not atmospheric sludge (and rightly so)
28.05.2014 - 19:22
Demerzel
Written by Guest on 27.05.2014 at 21:10

Godflesh are industrial metal, Pure and simple.

Aww, no one noticed your reference.
28.05.2014 - 19:24
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Guest on 28.05.2014 at 19:15

Then that's historical revisionism then as Godflesh have never been associated with sludge, and certainly not atmospheric sludge (and rightly so)

I listen to StreetCleaner - especially the last few bonus live tracks - and hear soo much sludge! I guess we will need JK Broadrick to answer
----
rekt
28.05.2014 - 19:29
Lit.
Account deleted
Sludge in Godflesh? U wot, m8? Even Ministry was more sludgy than Godflesh were.
28.05.2014 - 20:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Demerzel on 28.05.2014 at 19:22

Aww, no one noticed your reference.

I even put a capital letter on it and everything.
28.05.2014 - 20:24
Demerzel
Well, at least you tried.

Oh, and the song's pretty weak.

Hits total: 2585 | This month: 11