08. Náttmál
09. Tilberi [bonus]
10. Til Valhallar [bonus]
11. Ótta [Elevator Mix] [bonus]

The Best Post-Metal Album Of 2014
Top 20 albums of 2014: 7

Additional info
Music and lyrics by Sólstafir.
Produced by Birgir Jón Birgisson and Aðalbjörn Tryggvason.
Co-produced by Silli Geirdal.
Mixed by Birgir Jón Birgisson.
Assistant engineering by Níels Adolf Svansson.
Recorded at Sundlaugin, Mosfellsbær, Iceland, December 2013 and Janurary 2014.
Mastered by Andy Jackson at Tube Mastering, Herts, England.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
There's something naturally interesting about Icelandic music. Perhaps it's out of predilection for its origin, geographic distance and isolation at the top of the world. Whatever the case may be, there's one particular metal band who have managed to convey their own meaning in this phenomena.

Read more ››
published 06.09.2014 | Comments (12)

Found in 56 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 68   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 974 users
06.09.2014 - 16:14
Rating: 7
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I haven't heard the whole album yet, I checked one song out of it, their music was good enough and the vocals sounded really bad, they don't fit the music in my opinion. I already read two very long reviews on this album, does this album have really such great number of aspects to talk about them in details ? Or it's people getting too excited about their fav artist ?
----
The Fangirl.
06.09.2014 - 16:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by angel. on 06.09.2014 at 16:14

Or it's people getting too excited about their fav artist ?

This!
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.09.2014 - 17:02
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by angel. on 06.09.2014 at 16:14

I haven't heard the whole album yet, I checked one song out of it, their music was good enough and the vocals sounded really bad, they don't fit the music in my opinion. I already read two very long reviews on this album, does this album have really such great number of aspects to talk about them in details ? Or it's people getting too excited about their fav artist ?

I do agree that the vocalist isn't that good but I feel that he can channel emotion really well. Kinda like Kurt Cobain of Nirvana. Both the vocals and music has a really melancholic feel to them so they fit. It kinda makes you imagine that you're that old man in the cover, looking out into the sea, wondering why oh why did life take you to where you are now if if you could have done anything differently.

Cool stuff but I'm surprised on how many people are liking this.
06.09.2014 - 17:41
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 06.09.2014 at 17:02

I do agree that the vocalist isn't that good but I feel that he can channel emotion really well. Kinda like Kurt Cobain of Nirvana. Both the vocals and music has a really melancholic feel to them so they fit. It kinda makes you imagine that you're that old man in the cover, looking out into the sea, wondering why oh why did life take you to where you are now if if you could have done anything differently.

Then I need to listen the whole album, I discussed the same thing about vocals with another metal fellow, he also had the same opinion as yours :" although the vocals are bad but they're fitting into the whole atmosphere of music", however, we agreed that the vocals are somehow false!

Yeah, there is a great of deal of good feedback to this album.
----
The Fangirl.
06.09.2014 - 18:27
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by angel. on 06.09.2014 at 17:41

Written by Guest on 06.09.2014 at 17:02

Then I need to listen the whole album, I discussed the same thing about vocals with another metal fellow, he also had the same opinion as yours :" although the vocals are bad but they're fitting into the whole atmosphere of music", however, we agreed that the vocals are somehow false!

Yeah, there is a great of deal of good feedback to this album.

There is palpable "awesome music, but awful vocals" syndrome we always acquaint now and then. Yeah, vocals does sound offbeat but who gives a shit if music is awesome? Eh?

This disc is still playing on my pad and I really do not see any distraction of awful vocals ruining awesome music. Pretty good record.
06.09.2014 - 20:23
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.09.2014 at 18:27

There is palpable "awesome music, but awful vocals" syndrome we always acquaint now and then. Yeah, vocals does sound offbeat but who gives a shit if music is awesome? Eh?

I certainly give shit to vocals ! It's a big part of the music, one of the reasons I could never relate to some bands like Inquisition or Tool was that the vocalists were somehow annoying to me.
----
The Fangirl.
09.09.2014 - 03:25
Diverge
Still gotta check this one out!
09.09.2014 - 06:52
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I listen to too much shitty emo music for the vocals to bother me at all. I didn't even consider them to be bad when listened.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.09.2014 - 09:20
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 05.09.2014 at 21:40

I don't know by what means people here in ms categorize both solstafir and ahab as post-metal. I believe it worths of discussion.

Some of the claims Solstafir aren't post-metal might come from people who are sort of stuck in the past. The origins are in sludge bands like Neurosis and Isis, but post-metal has developed further now. I find post-metal/rock to be a descriptor of certain musical elements that isn't tied to a subgenre.
09.09.2014 - 15:41
Reaper_Redeemer
Written by Risto on 09.09.2014 at 09:20

sort of stuck in the past.

Well, that is not the occasion.

I find post-metal/rock to be a descriptor of certain musical elements that isn't tied to a subgenre.

Like?
09.09.2014 - 16:04
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 09.09.2014 at 15:41

I find post-metal/rock to be a descriptor of certain musical elements that isn't tied to a subgenre.

Like?

Often attributed simplistic "rifflessness" and building up a musical theme to a crescendo. "Svartir Sandar" is a good example.

09.09.2014 - 20:13
Reaper_Redeemer
Written by Risto on 09.09.2014 at 16:04

Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 09.09.2014 at 15:41

Like?

Often attributed simplistic "rifflessness" and building up a musical theme to a crescendo. "Svartir Sandar" is a good example.

04:13 you can find a post element here. But the magic word here is "element". An element in a song. Is this categorizing their genre?

"building up a musical theme to a crescendo" this is not only post's characteristic. Also simplistic "rifflessness" is a common attribute of sludge. There is a thin line that divides our opinions but what I believe is that it is risky to call it post, better use even "alternative" as a title which is a general umbrella that can cover it.
09.09.2014 - 21:10
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 09.09.2014 at 20:13

04:13 you can find a post element here. But the magic word here is "element". An element in a song. Is this categorizing their genre?

I think this sums up our difference of view quite well, because that song has a classic post-rock finish riding the chord progression initiated at 3:28. You're correct about the element, but it's not the big picture at all. Neurosis have done it, Ghost Brigade and Agalloch have done it... even Anathema is strongly influenced by post-rock these days.
12.09.2014 - 22:47
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
This album is just so damn beautiful. Would have enjoyed a more psychedelic aspects, but that's about the only complaint I have
12.09.2014 - 22:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 12.09.2014 at 22:47

This album is just so damn beautiful. Would have enjoyed a more psychedelic aspects, but that's about the only complaint I have

I haven't listened to this yet, but the psychedelic aspect was pretty much why I loved previous albums. Thinking I might not like it so much now.
13.09.2014 - 17:26
Sword_Chant
Written by Guest on 12.09.2014 at 22:51

Written by Alex F on 12.09.2014 at 22:47

I haven't listened to this yet, but the psychedelic aspect was pretty much why I loved previous albums. Thinking I might not like it so much now.

If you liked their older stuff you'll like this, it's a bit different but still very much Solstafir. Imo this is one of 2014's better albums
13.09.2014 - 17:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Sword_Chant on 13.09.2014 at 17:26

If you liked their older stuff you'll like this, it's a bit different but still very much Solstafir. Imo this is one of 2014's better albums

I'll aim to listen to it today at some point
23.09.2014 - 10:38
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Some parts remind me of Kauan, while the start of Miðaftann reminds me of SubRosa's No Safe Harbour.
Will I get yelled at if I say I think this's overrated?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
23.09.2014 - 14:01
Rating: 5
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by M C Vice on 23.09.2014 at 10:38

Strength in numbers, hide behind me while I say half the album is boring.
23.09.2014 - 19:00
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

YES.

Naw, I can see why people wouldn't enjoy this as much as I do, but I think this is a really strong release.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.09.2014 - 09:46
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Ilham on 23.09.2014 at 14:01

Strength in numbers, hide behind me while I say half the album is boring.

Surely I should be hiding you with my massive 63kg frame. (no, I didn't call you Shirley, someone will say that, so I'll get in 1st)
I wouldn't really say boring, more like it sounds like its building to something but that something never comes. I've only listened to it once, though, so maybe it'll get better.
----
24.09.2014 - 11:38
Rating: 5
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by M C Vice on 24.09.2014 at 09:46
Surely I should be hiding you with my massive 63kg frame. (no, I didn't call you Shirley, someone will say that, so I'll get in 1st)
I wouldn't really say boring, more like it sounds like its building to something but that something never comes. I've only listened to it once, though, so maybe it'll get better.

Well I am serious, why would you call me Shirley?
You're right, I was harsh. You expressed what I meant by "boring".
25.09.2014 - 11:31
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
The last of the bonus tracks was really good. They came on one of those mini cds, too. Never had one of them before.
----
27.09.2014 - 23:11
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I found my album of the year!!! The singer reminds me of Bono sometimes, but with more passion.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
27.09.2014 - 23:30
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Maco on 27.09.2014 at 23:11

The singer reminds me of Bono

How so?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.09.2014 - 23:34
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Karlabos on 27.09.2014 at 23:30

Written by Maco on 27.09.2014 at 23:11

The singer reminds me of Bono

How so?

The way he sings in Nattmal for example. When I heard it the first thing in my head was: "Bono"
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
27.09.2014 - 23:41
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Its true. When I was listening to this, my brother came in and thought I was listening to the new U2 album.
27.09.2014 - 23:46
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 27.09.2014 at 23:41

Its true. When I was listening to this, my brother came in and thought I was listening to the new U2 album.

Which you happen to have on your apple ipod btw
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
28.09.2014 - 00:00
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 27.09.2014 at 23:46

Written by Guest on 27.09.2014 at 23:41

Which you happen to have on your apple ipod btw

Actually I don't believe it or not
30.09.2014 - 04:00
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
What style do the 1st 2 bonus tracks count as? I can hear bits of black, thrash, heavy metal and hardcore in there.
----

Hits total: 18645 | This month: 59