08. Pteridophyte
09. Wisteria
10. Erythronium
11. ?Gazing?

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
N/A
If you ever needed a prime example of black metal's growing shift towards the unconventional in our recent times, you need look no farther than Roberto Martinelli's Botanist. A curious concoction of vocals, drums, and hammered dulcimer, the debut of the project took the more obscure fringes of the genre by storm, fusing seemingly unfitting elements together for the achievement of a refreshingly original creation. While perhaps not as radical, VI: Flora seeks to continue this pattern, and it does so wonderfully.

Read more ››
published 07.09.2014 | Comments (12)

Found in 8 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 44   Visited by: 237 users
12.06.2014 - 23:21
Rating: 7
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Announced at this location. Anticipating this album quite a bit. Botanist are entirely consistent
12.06.2014 - 23:27
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Alex F on 12.06.2014 at 23:21

Anticipating this album quite a bit.

Fuuuck yus, man. I'm pretty open to how it'll sound, although I'd like something heavier and more slow paced like Doom In Bloom, that's probably been my favorite so far. Also curious as to whether or not the dulcimer will stay electric this time around.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
12.06.2014 - 23:31
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Also, what happened to V in the series of albums? Assuming that split with Palace Of Worms is being considered as such?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
12.06.2014 - 23:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I was just about to ask the same thing. It troubles me ore than it should have! D.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.06.2014 - 00:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Botanist is always good news, though I admit I've not really been that into them / him since the debut. Hoping for more of that, or similar.
13.06.2014 - 04:13
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Auntie Sahar on 12.06.2014 at 23:31

Also, what happened to V in the series of albums? Assuming that split with Palace Of Worms is being considered as such?

Unfortunately so. It feels a lot less organized with that being the case
13.06.2014 - 11:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Alex F on 13.06.2014 at 04:13

My OCD senses are acting up again.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.06.2014 - 15:45
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Alex F on 13.06.2014 at 04:13

Eh, I'm not too upset about it, although it would've been nicer if the Botanist side of the split was entitled V: The Hanging Gardens Of Hell. Anyway, I read an interview with the guy around the time Mandragora came out saying he still has about 4-5 albums worth of material, so I'm really curious to see where this project goes in the future.
----

~ II. VII
13.06.2014 - 18:40
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Auntie Sahar on 13.06.2014 at 15:45

Eh, I'm not too upset about it, although it would've been nicer if the Botanist side of the split was entitled V: The Hanging Gardens Of Hell. Anyway, I read an interview with the guy around the time Mandragora came out saying he still has about 4-5 albums worth of material, so I'm really curious to see where this project goes in the future.

Holy shit that's a ton of material. No complaints though, I guess it should all be of relative similar quality. Very interested to see how the band progresses too though
14.06.2014 - 13:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Talk like this always makes me think of the "four unreleased full-length Lurker of Chalice albums" that apparently exist. Le sigh...
14.06.2014 - 14:57
Lit.
Account deleted
^ Yeah, what's up with that? Is Wrest never gonna release them or what?

Also, would I like this band? The Boulder feels conflicted about trying it out.
15.06.2014 - 16:45
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Guest on 14.06.2014 at 14:57

^ Yeah, what's up with that? Is Wrest never gonna release them or what?

Also, would I like this band? The Boulder feels conflicted about trying it out.

I think it's more of a personal issue than anything else, he's stated multiple times that he feels as though the Lurker Of Chalice debut got so much hype that putting out any subsequent material wouldn't match up to it, or be a dishonor to it, or something along those lines. Also, I think that Massive Conspiracy was supposed to be the second LOC album, but he released it under Leviathan for that reason.

As far as liking Botanist goes... dunno dude, do you like bands that can impress you with really minimalist instrumentation? Cuz all there is to the project is drums, vocals, and dulcimer, but they all come together for quite a nice result. The debut imo was kinda messy, but the subsequent albums have been great. Try this out, one of my favs.
----

~ II. VII
15.06.2014 - 17:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
The debut is a really hard pill to swallow (although I loved it). Try the other albums since they are a bit slower and much less crazy.
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.06.2014 - 17:20
Rating: 9
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Auntie Sahar on 15.06.2014 at 16:45

I think it's more of a personal issue than anything else, he's stated multiple times that he feels as though the Lurker Of Chalice debut got so much hype that putting out any subsequent material wouldn't match up to it, or be a dishonor to it, or something along those lines.

In other words, all we can do is wait for him to die so that the label will release'em post mortem
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
15.06.2014 - 22:13
PocketMetal
I appreciate Botanist for what he's doing but after 2 or 3 listens I just don't wanna ever listen to the album again.
07.08.2014 - 04:24
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Whole thing streaming here
07.08.2014 - 04:36
Rating: 9
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Alex F on 07.08.2014 at 04:24

Whole thing streaming here

THANK YOU
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.08.2014 - 06:10
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
A step down from his previous material.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.08.2014 - 05:02
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Boxcar Willy on 07.08.2014 at 06:10

Why? I pretty much think everything Botanist has released is on (quite nearly) the exact same level of quality (being really nice). This one really feels like the most mature Botanist release. The melodies are a lot more developed and easy on the ear, and while it's more accessible, it doesn't lose any of the unbelievable amount of ingenuity that was present on The Suicide Tree. Seriously Stargazer is a sexy-ass track
08.08.2014 - 19:06
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Alex F on 08.08.2014 at 05:02

Why? I pretty much think everything Botanist has released is on (quite nearly) the exact same level of quality (being really nice). This one really feels like the most mature Botanist release. The melodies are a lot more developed and easy on the ear, and while it's more accessible, it doesn't lose any of the unbelievable amount of ingenuity that was present on The Suicide Tree. Seriously Stargazer is a sexy-ass track

I prefer the raw extremely experimental approach of the debut. The last four albums sound too similar for me. It's like all of the previous (minus the debut) are 8's and this (at leat to me) is a 7.5.

It's hard to explain via typing on my phone, so I hope you get what I mean
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.08.2014 - 19:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Kind of with Tanner here. I find it hard to get enthusiastic about post-debut Botanist. It's nice, well made music but lacking that interesting experimental edge of the debut.
09.08.2014 - 17:01
theFIST
Sounds very much like a summer album compared to the others
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
10.08.2014 - 01:04
Rating: 8
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 08.08.2014 at 19:13

It's nice, well made music but lacking that interesting experimental edge of the debut.

Might agree with Alex then, since I can't say I'm overly fond of that style. Only gave it one spin though, so who knows. (no, not going to continue that discussion, hahaha)
10.08.2014 - 07:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by theFIST on 09.08.2014 at 17:01

Sounds very much like a summer album compared to the others

I agree, the thick and hazy (almost shoegaze) textures and the bright and soft colours of the cover really scream SUMMA.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.08.2014 - 18:23
Erik M.
Easily the best thing I've heard from this band... which isn't saying much, but I simply like this one a lot. After nearly one spin I can safely say I'm definitely going to revisit this.
11.08.2014 - 01:23

Although I absolutely love everything Botanist does, I agree with Willy.
11.08.2014 - 21:58
Erik M.

It doesn't happen too often, but I totally agree with you.

Really great release, this one.
12.08.2014 - 00:23
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
I still prefer Doom In Bloom to this. It's the hazy texture that's putting me off a bit. But it's still a beautiful piece of music.
13.08.2014 - 20:46
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Botanist just made this announcement on his facebook page

So far, we're surprised few in the press are wondering what happened to "V." It is very real and exists. But we all felt that "VI" was the best record we had available, so we skipped "V." But "V" will be released some years in the future. We also understand we deserve any confusion and annoyance about these points.
13.08.2014 - 21:18
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Thank you for reporting that little fact Alex.

Hits total: 7915 | This month: 31