Metal Storm logo
Album Style: Report Mistakes

Original post

Posted by D.T. Metal, 17.06.2014 - 06:30
We now have the opportunity to style an album rather than adding a style to the band.

Example: Kreator is a thrash metal band, but since two of their albums were gothic metal, they also had the gothic style tag as a band. Now their style is ONLY thrash and the two albums in question from the late 90's are styled gothic.

If you come across an album which is not the 'normal' style for a band - please report it below. (see the Kreator example)
07.08.2014 - 10:43
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
The Fenriz Red Planet/Nattefrost split: http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=43065&band_id=630&bandname=Fenriz
Could it get doom metal added (the Fenriz stuff is doom) and the black changed to some sort of black/punk hybrid (not sure how that would be worded here). The Nattefrost stuff sounds like Carpathian Forest playing punk.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
07.08.2014 - 20:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 07.08.2014 at 10:43
The Fenriz Red Planet/Nattefrost split: http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=43065&band_id=630&bandname=Fenriz
Could it get doom metal added (the Fenriz stuff is doom) and the black changed to some sort of black/punk hybrid (not sure how that would be worded here). The Nattefrost stuff sounds like Carpathian Forest playing punk.

Will investigate once I'm home on the weekend. Currently at a friend's and the laptop I'm using can't play audio.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.08.2014 - 15:39
Acid Death is a progressive death metal band with thrash elements...
http://www.aciddeath.net/
13.08.2014 - 07:47
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
The Old Funeral compilation (http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=68478&band_id=4675&bandname=Old+Funeral). Could it get death and black metal added? Mostly death, but the 2nd half of disc 2 is black/blackened death.
----
13.08.2014 - 07:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 13.08.2014 at 07:47
The Old Funeral compilation (http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=68478&band_id=4675&bandname=Old+Funeral). Could it get death and black metal added? Mostly death, but the 2nd half of disc 2 is black/blackened death.

Didn't forget your other suggestion. Just had some internet issues that were resolved today. On my way to bed now but I have no plans tomorrow, will look at both of your suggestions.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.08.2014 - 23:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 07.08.2014 at 10:43

Added your suggestions.
----
17.08.2014 - 20:59
Ilham
Giant robot
I am pretty sure this is the first time I see it labelled like this on MS, maybe I am mistaken, but I don't think it is necessary to have all of these tagged as "first wave of black metal". I haven't listened to any old Celtic Frost in a good while, I can't comment on the veracity of all those tags, just reporting the "first wave" thing.

This, this, this, this, this, this, this, and this.
17.08.2014 - 21:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ilham on 17.08.2014 at 20:59
I am pretty sure this is the first time I see it labelled like this on MS, maybe I am mistaken, but I don't think it is necessary to have all of these tagged as "first wave of black metal".

Sorry. We're experimenting with adding the first wave of black metal into band profiles but it's making things looks weird sometimes. It's a work in progress.
----
17.08.2014 - 21:04
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.08.2014 at 21:02

Sorry. We're experimenting with adding the first wave of black metal into band profiles but it's making things looks weird sometimes. It's a work in progress.

Oh. Well then, I stand corrected.
17.08.2014 - 22:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Correct me if I'm wrong but first wave of black metal, that's not really a genre is it?
17.08.2014 - 23:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.08.2014 at 22:55

Correct me if I'm wrong but first wave of black metal, that's not really a genre is it?

ask marcel he knows more
IMO its negative it isn't not. its more speed, thrash heavy metal, like blackened, more satanistic lyrics ... but of corse posers Venom will say its true BM, because real Scandi BM is not true... Xronos once said they should name it Nordic metal
also marduk guitarist said ''even Saxon can be BM if they have satanistic lyrics'' but seems those bands don't know much about .... guitar sound and some similarities make a genre , not lyrics

NWOBHM was sound and time as well, this case we cant say much

BTW Illham's 1th link anyone wants to edit from add info to track list as we have it on MS
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.08.2014 - 23:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 17.08.2014 at 22:55

It isn't, but the plan is to separate them from other black metal bands (the second wave that they all influenced) without providing revisionary terms to their profiles.

Like I said, work in progress.
----
17.08.2014 - 23:15
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
@Edgar Don't worry, Marcel is participating in the discussion.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

17.08.2014 - 23:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 17.08.2014 at 23:02

NWOBHM was sound ...

No it was not.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2014 - 23:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2014 at 23:26

Written by Bad English on 17.08.2014 at 23:02

NWOBHM was sound ...

No it was not.

I agree and disagree
well it was a sound as well , as period, American bands don't sound same, german also .. those older Saxon, Samson, Raven, Tank ...after 80's Saxon is little bit heavyer as before
----

apos;'
[image]
17.08.2014 - 23:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 17.08.2014 at 23:49

those older Saxon, Samson, Raven, Tank ...

All those bands sound totally different as do Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Quartz and so many others. The only thing they have in common is that they play heavy metal and are from the same period.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2014 - 23:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2014 at 23:56

All those bands sound totally different as do Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Quartz and so many others. The only thing they have in common is that they play heavy metal and are from the same period.

yes its true many bands split up when period ender what survived
Saxon, Iron Maiden , I mean really survived whit our braking up and re uniting in 00's cant remember , only those 2 comes in my mind
----

apos;'
[image]
18.08.2014 - 00:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 17.08.2014 at 23:59

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2014 at 23:56

yes its true many bands split up when period ender what survived
Saxon, Iron Maiden , I mean really survived whit our braking up and re uniting in 00's cant remember , only those 2 comes in my mind

I didn't say anything about bands splitting up. All I said is they sound nothing alike and the only thing they had in common is that they played heavy metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2014 - 12:49
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

I am pretty sure this is the first time I see it labelled like this on MS, maybe I am mistaken, but I don't think it is necessary to have all of these tagged as "first wave of black metal".

Finally (don't mean to sound rude, just been waiting a long time for 1st wave black to be added). Don't agree with Pandamonium (how do you spell this word again?) being 1stWB, though. Mercyful Fate's 80s stuff next? Possibly Venom, too.

Edit: Wait, never mind. Is Time really 1st WB as well?
----
18.08.2014 - 13:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 18.08.2014 at 12:49

Finally (don't mean to sound rude, just been waiting a long time for 1st wave black to be added). Don't agree with Pandamonium (how do you spell this word again?) being 1stWB, though. Mercyful Fate's 80s stuff next? Possibly Venom, too.

Edit: Wait, never mind. Is Time really 1st WB as well?

MF is only 1st WB up to and including Don't Break the Oath
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.08.2014 - 09:58
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.08.2014 at 13:29

MF is only 1st WB up to and including Don't Break the Oath

That's what I thought. Everything before Into The Unknown is listed as such, though.
----
19.08.2014 - 16:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
The first wave is an era or movement, not a genre, so... the fact that any of those albums have black metal associated with them is technically wrong. There isn't a magical cut-off date, but since the Norwegian bands started up in the early '90s we pretty much capped the first wave tag in and around '92/'93 depending on if a band was active at the time or not.
----
23.08.2014 - 06:27
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
The Celtic Frost compilation of the 1st 2 eps
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=58182&band_id=70&bandname=Celtic+Frost
Can it get 1st wave black, avant-garde and thrash added? (their the genres attached to the individual eps)
----
23.08.2014 - 06:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 23.08.2014 at 06:27
The Celtic Frost compilation of the 1st 2 eps
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=58182&band_id=70&bandname=Celtic+Frost
Can it get 1st wave black, avant-garde and thrash added? (their the genres attached to the individual eps)

This is going to be part of that ongoing thing but I think there might be cause for removing black metal from some album styles for first wave bands but leaving the style on the main profile if that makes sense. Still have work to do with this first wave thing.

PS fuck this band for not just playing something simple like heavy metal.
----
23.08.2014 - 07:01
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.08.2014 at 06:35

PS fuck this band for not just playing something simple like heavy metal.

Yep, no 2 albums are the same style.
----
27.09.2014 - 05:02
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Can this album (http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=59793&band_id=6351&bandname=The+Jimi+Hendrix+Experience) get the band's genres added to it. It was released way after they disbanded.
The one after it probably could, too, but I haven't heard it so I can't confirm that its the same style.
----
28.09.2014 - 13:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 27.09.2014 at 05:02

Can this album (http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=59793&band_id=6351&bandname=The+Jimi+Hendrix+Experience) get the band's genres added to it. It was released way after they disbanded.
The one after it probably could, too, but I haven't heard it so I can't confirm that its the same style.

Then all after split up albums must have a style IMO
BTW does acid spyhodelic rock genre exist?
I separated those just temporally
----

apos;'
[image]
28.09.2014 - 19:40
Fearmeister
Account deleted
So Carbonized is totally not thrash metal, its death

http://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=2775&bandname=Carbonized

Someone keep Lekiwi away from the keyboard
28.09.2014 - 19:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 28.09.2014 at 19:40

So Carbonized is totally not thrash metal, its death

http://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=2775&bandname=Carbonized

Someone keep Lekiwi away from the keyboard

And even calling it progressive thrash. WTF?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.09.2014 - 19:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Doubly agreed. Major balls up there.