Metal Storm logo
The job thread

30.01.2007 - 23:51
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
Well this one's simple. Talk about the past jobs you've had, the most pleasant or unpleasant experience you've had at work, and the job you have now. I'll go first.

My first job was at a catering place. My job was to prepare food to be shipped out. The job was very boring but bearable. Easy money.

My second job was working as a waiter at a local restaurant. This job was horrible. We had bad customers who not only made it a point to make our job as difficult and tedious as possible but did not tip well. It was very high stress, but the people I worked with were some of the coolest people I've ever met. I left because I was not being paid well and I'm pretty sure the manager was committing tax fraud.
31.01.2007 - 00:02
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Well, eeeh, i know this post wont be really interesting, but ive never had a job. Anyway, the place where im currently living doesnt offer young people a single chance to get a job. Even a job in a café or a restaurant would be hard to find. *Sigh..*. But im planning to work this summer, as (.. hmm..not sure if what im gonna say is correct, at least it is in french) "a girl au pair", in Europe, hopefully in London .
31.01.2007 - 01:28
APOHAKC
The Bard
There is very similar topic but what a hell, I can repeat myself, I don't have nothing better to do

This was my first job:

Written by APOHAKC on 12.01.2007 at 20:58

My first job was with my dad, but I don't really knows how is that job's name. We went in supermarket, I watched for people while he filled his pockets with stuff, and then we ren out. Just joking, my first job was with my father, I ws 14 years old and I wanted to go to Motorhead concert so he said that if I help him on his job for a week he will pay me a ticket, we were poor family and it meant a lot to me, he worked with some friends, some instalation job and I was bringing them staff, beer and sandwiches, I quit after two days because some jurk working with them hit me with apple, but my old dad payed my that concert and that was first bigest concert in my life.

I quoted myself, what kind of idiot am I?

Other jobs:
After that I worked in many shity places, in cinema, at least I watched movies for free, I was selling popcorns and ice creams... Now I am studying and my family get to some serious money so I don't have to work much anymore, sure everytime I find some good job I work.

Most cool job:
For Serbian version of metalhammer, but it is not important what I done, nothing so cool, haha
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
31.01.2007 - 02:16
?Bodomchild?
My unique job and i think im gonna die trainnig dogs for beauty and conformation, like the Eukanuba Cup on Animal Planet and its a nice job good money but you have to work a lot, like 20 or more dogs per show and we are only 3 persons my 2 bros and i, but in the USA its much better and u get paid very well but its a hard job, im doing this since i was 5 years not in profesional way, but since i was 13 i became a professional handler but i want to become in a paintball pro player and get paid doing what i like a lot but the work with the dogs its really nice
----
asd
31.01.2007 - 16:04
Grimurc
my first job was spreading flyers in mailboxes, then i got a job in a supermarket. after that i worked at my dad's place at a cointainer shipping agency in Rotterdam, the Netherlands (2x) in the summers so that my dad could get a holdiday and i'd work in his place (at a lower service of course) then i got a job at an big insurance agency and now i am just doing my time as a computer developer, programmer at school. my other time i spend on music producing (metal!!) and some partying, sleeping and drinking and having good times...whoohoo what a great life i got!!
----
Still drinking,-
31.01.2007 - 16:13
Sunioj
Bah, Ive had quite a bit let me try to remember.
My first job was construction from 13-15. Crappy money, and crappy work.
Working and installing marble fixtures at a company age 16, Horrible money, but the people I worked for were some bigshot Georgian businessmen ( if thats what they are called these days )
Painting age, 17 pleasant job, my boss was one of my friends, we smoked weed together and played the music we like.
Sound maintenance and conference filming age 18, doing studio work with filming and setting up stage props for local gigs. Good money, good atmosphere, and my boss was my friends dad.
Customer Service for an internet company: right now, I hate it, but Im moving soon, and will come back when I get that new job!
03.02.2007 - 08:58
Nickwillnotbe
Uh... lets see...

2003: My first job involved me running a game booth at the state fair in Washington State, USA. It sucked pretty bad, but they allowed me to work around 40 hours a week during the school year AND I was still a minor. Lots of money (for a minimum wage job) but I'm pretty sure that was illegal. This was only a seasonal job.

2003-2004: My first real job was working maint. at a local golf course. I cleaned the bathrooms, cleared the driving range, cleaned up the 18 hole course, washed the carts and what not. It was a pretty shitty job but the people I worked with were cool. I quit near the end of 2003 due to various circumstances in my personal life.

2004: In late 2004 I worked as a truck unloader for FedEx. This was the first job I had that paid above minimum wage (I was making 10.50 p/h if I remember correctly). I was on night shift, bleh, but it wasn't bad. Again, only a seasonal job.

2005-2006: Worked at Toy'r'us as a truck unloader, stocker, and a cashier in the electronics department. I was actually really really good at this job. A few friends worked there and I got along really well with the managers. I was getting around 40-50 hours a week, so all was well. Then we got shut down haha. Oh well.

2006-present: I was offered a job by a friend from TRU to work with her husband at a Maytag distribution center. I got my certification to drive a forklift and uh... yeah. Thats about it. The job is incredibly boring but the wages are good and we get damn good health insurance. Not too bad. Unfortunately we were recently bought out by a large company and a lot of changes are going down. Guess I'll just have to wait it out and see what happens.
06.02.2007 - 15:06
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Lets see:
first of all I worked as a graphic designer in a website creating company, I did all sorts of graphic shit like logo making, website designing, and all sort of graphic stuff.

during my first job I also worked as a maintanance guy in an internet cafe I maintained all the computer and kept them trojan and virus free, and downloaded the appropriate applications.

and my last job (which I'm still in right now) is Flight support Operations it is a devastating job that requires a lot of attention I basically contact the airports where our customers private jet is near and ask them to provide the needed Feul, Catering, Clearance and other shit when the plane lands there. easy .....NOT
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
06.02.2007 - 15:31
Sunioj
All the jobs I worked were all minimum wage like 90 shekels a day ($20) but since I quit construction and manual labor (because I screwed my lungs up with dusted chemicals while jackhammering) Ive doing jobs that average out 200-250 shekels a day ($40-$50) a day.
25.07.2008 - 14:13
Kasper
My first job started when I was 12 years old. I worked as some kind of cleaner in a large factory building, where they grew mushrooms.. I had to clean all the mushrooms that fell on the ground, and sure as hell there was quite a few, as the workers there played something called, "Mushroom-war". They threw mushrooms at eachother, a really annoying game as a cleaner. -.- And I was paid a minimum wage for that kind of job - about 10 dollars per hour. - If I were fast, then I would eventually get more.

I quit the job after working there for 2 years. Then I began helping my neighbour, who had this company that made lawns by putting these pieces of grass on the ground and assemble them, until you get a complete lawn. It was pretty wellpaid, I would about 100 dollars for a days work, 3-4 hours. But damn it was hard, completely exhausted after a day.

Now I work at a highway café restaurant, where I cook, and all that kind of stuff you at such place. Really nice job considering I sit down most of the time, and do nothing. I earn about 120 dollars for a days work (5 hours). Great job
----
"An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded"
28.07.2008 - 22:26
Zomvik_1511
Written by Kasper on 25.07.2008 at 14:13

.... And I was paid a minimum wage for that kind of job - about 10 dollars per hour. - If I were fast, then I would eventually get more.....

What!? 10 dollars per hour is not minimum wage here in the US! OMG.... Gotta move to Europe, dammit!

Since 2006 I work at a Halloween store from July to November. And last year I worked at Starbucks as a Shift Supervisor until perhaps two months ago that quit. We got a new manager and she was the biggest slacker/bitch/ungrateful person I've ever met. I requested to get transfer and since the District Manager was an old friend of her family, the guy felt offended when I told her that I refused to work with a slacker. He said I either solve my stuff with her or quit. I rather quit...
Funny crap is that the Regional Manager, was oblivious to this until I quit... 8 more people quit after me.

Currently I am waiting for a job with AT&T. I passed the first interview, I am waiting for a second one plus a drug test.
----
"Unexploited potencial is nothing, absolutely nothing"

[Perverse Suffering - Carved from the inside out]
[One person can change the World with a bullet in the right place]
28.07.2008 - 22:43
Kasper
Written by Zomvik_1511 on 28.07.2008 at 22:26

Written by Kasper on 25.07.2008 at 14:13

.... And I was paid a minimum wage for that kind of job - about 10 dollars per hour. - If I were fast, then I would eventually get more.....

What!? 10 dollars per hour is not minimum wage here in the US! OMG.... Gotta move to Europe, dammit!

Since 2006 I work at a Halloween store from July to November. And last year I worked at Starbucks as a Shift Supervisor until perhaps two months ago that quit. We got a new manager and she was the biggest slacker/bitch/ungrateful person I've ever met. I requested to get transfer and since the District Manager was an old friend of her family, the guy felt offended when I told her that I refused to work with a slacker. He said I either solve my stuff with her or quit. I rather quit...
Funny crap is that the Regional Manager, was oblivious to this until I quit... 8 more people quit after me.

Currently I am waiting for a job with AT&T. I passed the first interview, I am waiting for a second one plus a drug test.

Well, for the kind of job I did it was the minimum wage. There are other jobs where you earn less per hour. But because the job is ... what can I say... horrible, then they need to set a reasonable wage.
----
"An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded"
28.07.2008 - 22:47
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I've basically been through every major "Mart" retailer, the worst job experiences I have ever had.

Currently at a great job where I just run a small discount bookstore, can just sit on the computer/register all day... and still get paid more than when I was doing brute receiving labor at those conglomerates
28.07.2008 - 23:40
naos
Account deleted
I'm still working my first job after 7 years as welder
I get 1200 euro per month
But the job is getting to me because the atmosphere is really below freezing point at the moment and i going to quit.
29.07.2008 - 15:26
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Every 9th grade student in Finland has to work somewhere for 2 weeks without getting paid. So, when I was 15, I worked that 2 weeks at a bookstore. It was an ok place, but I think I was a bit naive then, since I thought they'd let me go home earlier, if I did everything quick. Pfffff... They just gave me more tasks to do. Oh well, at least I learnt something: there's no use being too effective.

At the moment I'm working at a logistics company. The trucks of this company transport all kinds of stuff around Finland and every now and then (actually very often) something gets broken during the transportation. I'm the person, who receives the angry phone calls and e-mails from the customers. Mainly I keep on sending letters telling about the damages to the drivers, who I think have broken the stuff. Then they send their "no way, it wasn't me" -letters back to me. Sometimes someone admits and I can even pay the customers for the stuff the drivers have broken. I believe I've pretty much seen it all already..there's no such a thing the drivers couldn't break or that couldn't go lost. I like this job. Some days are really boring, but luckily we have internet-connection here at the office.
----
You'll never walk alone.
29.07.2008 - 15:58
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
My job is pretty simplistic, seeing as how I work at a McDonalds. I do whatever needs to be done there; I cook meat, make sandwiches, stock on supplies, clean, sweep, mop, do dishes, whatever I'm told to do that's what I have to do. It's not a hard job at all, and I don't really hate it as much as my other co-workers seem to hate it. Sooo.....whatever.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
30.07.2008 - 15:02
Sunioj
Since I quit my last job working for retention and service for an internet co. I worked at this online realtors firm based in the states. It was an outsourcing project and it was really nice, espresso machine, boss ordered food, going to work blazed off my fucking ass every goddamn day. But the pay was meh.

The office closed down without any notice and after that I had to work some odd jobs here and there, transcribing interviews for irish national politics done by a person working on their PHD in... European politics. On the side, I worked for a japanese media group (NHK) with my dad carrying sound/video equipment and subbing for him when he wasn't around to translate things from hebrew.

Now I work for a financial group and I make almost $100 a day. Fun stuff.
30.07.2008 - 20:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
I currently work with youths with mental disorders. It's like being a baby sitter but for teenagers. It's a good job, good money but sometimes they're so damn annoying. It wasn't really hard to get into the job considering one of my best friends has a weak form of authism. One negative thing is that you're never sure when you work and when you don't, since I'm only needed when the parents aren't around.
----
30.07.2008 - 21:20
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i did work experience at a supermarket and i swear that no matter how desperate i am, i will never work in one again...

i wasnt paid or anything everyone was so rude to me, people came in and shouted at me co i did like one tiny thing wrong or if i didnt know where the mixers were...

basically it put me off working for life
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
31.07.2008 - 10:07
thesabbathfan
I just got accepted for my first job at Staples. I know, shit place to work, but nowhere else.
----
31.07.2008 - 16:40
Judas
The Amputator
My first job was at a fast-food place when I was 14. Our old neighbours owned the franchise and so they got me the job. I lasted 2 weeks, then was told that it was abundantly obvious that my heart wasn't in the job and they'd 'let me go'. It was pretty funny, as I had typed up a resignation letter that I handed in anyway. That job paid like $9/hour. I got a job at a fish mart a few weeks later, which was alright, except after 3 weeks the owner sold the store and so everyone working there lost their jobs. This gave me $10/hour. I sat around for ages after that, until my gap year (between finishing high school and starting university), when I scored a spot at a school near Canterbury, England. I worked in the boarding house, coached sports, and did some admin stuff too, for the whole of 2006. I was paid £366/month, but was given food and lodging for free so I had no living expenses. Since the start of 2007, I've been working as a tutor for a tutoring company as well as giving a few private lessons here and there. I get $19/hour working for the company and around $30/hour when working privately. I'm lazy, so I can't be bothered searching for more private students, I'm happy that the company finds them for me and gives me a place to teach at.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
31.07.2008 - 23:15
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I have a pretty sweet job at the moment working for the family business...the website link is in my profile...we are an Environmental company that sells biological products for septic and holding tanks...I take orders on the phone and work in the warehouse doing shipping, receiving and making the product itself...there are about five people in the whole company (my family) so we wear a lot of different hats...I can buy afford anything I want...all I have to do is keep bringing in the sales...easy job because I am the second generation of the company and will take it over...
01.08.2008 - 03:15
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well I finished my practices at teh metro a month ago, I did a lotta things there: Writte for teh newspaper, teh inner bullettin, radio bullettin, and photographic register of events.

Now I have a half-time job with the mayoralship of My municipality, basically suppotrting comunication process in teh department of education: Magazine edition, bullettins that inform teh progress of the department in relation with teh development plan, make more dynamic the educative institution newspapers, and work in teh process of creating an inner bullettin.
I have not started yet, I confess. I'm getting soem documents to get teh contract done, and luckily I'll start on monday.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.08.2008 - 18:58
Nexus
Asshat
My favourite job was working in LaRonde (an amusement park) making Beavertails. Haha, it was such a lame job, but it was nice coming to work at an amusement park, it was never boring. It was stressful at times however, as we had to work strenuous shifts, serving this perpetual line of people. Loooong hours, too. But I always felt satisfied coming back from work.
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
05.08.2008 - 06:25
PsychoNerd
ive recently been fencing, but thats not very interesting at all, but it earns, i really want to get into computing, wow im a nerd! and damn proud of it,
----
The computer Nerd
05.08.2008 - 08:58
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Hey, LaRonde is awesome! I love that place and used to think how cool it would've been to work at LaRonde in Montreal, the Ex in Ottawa or Canada's Wonderland in Toronto...knowing me, I'd probably wind up getting some shit ass job cleaning something up...
09.09.2008 - 21:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Judas on 31.07.2008 at 16:40

My first job was at a fast-food place when I was 14. Our old neighbours owned the franchise and so they got me the job. I lasted 2 weeks, then was told that it was abundantly obvious that my heart wasn't in the job and they'd 'let me go'. It was pretty funny, as I had typed up a resignation letter that I handed in anyway. That job paid like $9/hour. I got a job at a fish mart a few weeks later, which was alright, except after 3 weeks the owner sold the store and so everyone working there lost their jobs. This gave me $10/hour. I sat around for ages after that, until my gap year (between finishing high school and starting university), when I scored a spot at a school near Canterbury, England. I worked in the boarding house, coached sports, and did some admin stuff too, for the whole of 2006. I was paid £366/month, but was given food and lodging for free so I had no living expenses. Since the start of 2007, I've been working as a tutor for a tutoring company as well as giving a few private lessons here and there. I get $19/hour working for the company and around $30/hour when working privately. I'm lazy, so I can't be bothered searching for more private students, I'm happy that the company finds them for me and gives me a place to teach at.

what lessons did you give?

as for me, i was a lazy bastard until a few days ago, i landed a job at a GAS clothing store, it's pretty good pay, on most weekdays you don't have to do anything since there are very few customers(especially in the morning shift) and i have some pretty funny colleagues lol. and if i stay for a month or more(which i plan to), i can get some products from GAS, Lotto and Stonefly at 40% off!

i heard on weekends it's pretty tiring though, the store is full 75% of the time.
10.09.2008 - 05:39
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
best stoner job ever, i work at a junior college bookstore LOL
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
11.09.2008 - 01:27
Black Mass
My first job was a dish pig in a bakery - lasted 2 months. Then got a casual job at my local KFC, was there for 11 months. After that I was a check out chick at Coles. Then once I'd finished school I got a job at a hotel in the city, started as a switchboard operator, moved to night audit then became the night audit manager. After 14 months on nights I moved to days, took a demotion to go back to day time work. Was front office team leader & did some HR on the side. Got jack of that and left. Got a job with a company doing OH&S and workers comp for about 2 years. Then my boss left and it all went to shit so I left. Became an insurance broker for a company in the city. Got sick of that after about 2.5 years. Then I was unemployed for 5 weeks - longest period of unemployment since my dish pig job. And now I work for an engineering consultancy firm and I run the design team for the sydney desalination plant. I've been with this company for 3.5 years, all happy days so far and the pay is pretty fucken awesome.

@LeChron James - my KFC job was a great stoner job, kept all my mates fed on KFC for ages!
27.08.2012 - 03:21
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I don't have a job... I don't want one, but I want money. So, I want one job, then.