‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 [2]
Users visited: 74  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by deadone on 21.08.2014 at 08:57
An interesting article on what is underground and how the definition has changed over the years:

http://www.deathmetal.org/news/what-is-the-underground/

I don't agree with all of it but it's interesting discourse nonetheless.

Page 2 of 2

Ilham
attention whore*

23.08.2014 at 01:03
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.08.2014 at 00:50

I think he might have been speaking your language there.

Not loud enough. I don't know the person, he might have been serious after all.
M C Vice
Ex-polydactyl

23.08.2014 at 03:53
Sounds like I should read this article just for a laugh.
----
GO THE SHARKS!

"I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "How does he know what I'm thinking?" Well I know everything, and so does your internet service provider."
Ganondox

23.08.2014 at 07:04
Written by Doc Godin on 22.08.2014 at 21:49

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.08.2014 at 16:41

I loved that part he wrote about Black Sabbath because there he clearly shows he is missing what Sabbath was about.
The band actually was all about love, drugs and pacifism and considered themselves hippies. he clearly hasn't paid any attention to lyrics such as War Pigs, Children Of The Grave, Changes etc.

Yeah, I'd say Sabbath definitely had similar ideologies to the whole hippie movement, they just approached it from a darker perspective.

I think this is a good description of Black Sabbath. They stood out among hippies because they focused on the dark rather than the light, but they many of their best known songs are about peace and drugs and whatnot. Don't forget about Sweet Leave. Basically they are like gothic hippies (gothic in the aesthetics, not related to the later musical scene).

Oh, and the comment about Deafheaven being a victory of the mainstream is hilarious, if anything they are a sign of the victory of underground, as the blackgaze scene was underground as hell before the critics raved over Deafheaven.
mz

23.08.2014 at 18:03
Beside all the bullshit, the guy is giving too much of credit to deafheaven I think. Are they as important as he suggests?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
Ilham
attention whore*

23.08.2014 at 18:12
I certainly don't think so. I'm just talking about what I see now, as I didn't witness their "rise to mainstream", but I think he just picked them instead of others because they must annoy him more than any other blackgaze band. He completely ignored everything that made it possible for them to play this kind of music, and jumped to them. If you have such a problem with this kind of black metal, in my opinion, the one you'd have to direct your hate towards is the precursor, not the guy at the end of the chain.
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

23.08.2014 at 18:39
He should have just written an article called "Why I Hate Deafheaven"...
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
Karlabos
<insert title>

23.08.2014 at 19:04
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.08.2014 at 18:39

He should have just written an article called "Why I Hate Deafheaven"...

He'd probably deviate from the subject and end up speaking of underground metal instead.
----
( ˘ﮦ ᴗ ˘ﮦ) ♪ '
Cill O' Connor

23.08.2014 at 22:10
The article is rubbish and the person that wrote it is everything that I don't like about metalhead culture.

For some reason fans of this genre like to believe that metal is sacred and is under threat of being 'invaded' or polluted by other genres. It's experimentation and a natural evolution. There is room for bands that play traditional style metal and bands that incorporate new sounds. If a blend of metal that you don't like becomes popular, it doesn't mean that another type dies. It just mean it isn't as relevant at that point in time.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

25.08.2014 at 02:19
Written by Doc Godin on 22.08.2014 at 11:06

- Ok, I was actually into metal for this era - does this guy honestly think this line is believable? First of all, I really wouldn't say metalcore "took over". Secondly...easy to make? Tell that to bands like Protest The Hero or Dillinger Escape Plan. In fact, the entire paragraph past that is just a steaming landslide of ignorant, nonsensical crap.

Metalcore certainly took over here in Oz. We had just had traditional genres of metal make a resurgence when they got swept aside for metalcore which instantly brought in a new younger fan base too. This is the reason why bands like Parkway Drive and I Killed The Prom Queen are the biggest Australian metal bands righht now and have been so for some time.

And stuff like DIllinger Escape Plan and Protest The Hero certainly didn't rock the Oz boat unlike the melodic Metalcore bands ala IKTPQ, Parkway Drive, KSE and Trivium.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

25.08.2014 at 02:25
Written by Cill O' Connor on 23.08.2014 at 22:10

If a blend of metal that you don't like becomes popular, it doesn't mean that another type dies. It just mean it isn't as relevant at that point in time.

Thrash did die in the 1990s. Most of the Thrash bands turned groove or broke up and there weren't any new ones until stuff like Witchery and The Haunted which started reincorporating Thrash elements. Then in early 2000s we have reThrash.

But internet gives genres and music a degree of "immortality" as everything is far more accessible. Thus you no longer need mags and TV (e.g. Headbangers Ball) to keep things alive.
Cill O' Connor

25.08.2014 at 02:56
Written by deadone on 25.08.2014 at 02:25

But internet gives genres and music a degree of "immortality" as everything is far more accessible. Thus you no longer need mags and TV (e.g. Headbangers Ball) to keep things alive.

EXACTLY. And thrash didn't really 'die', it merely dropped in popularity compared to how huge it was in the 80s. Art, as with everything is cyclical rather than linear. Old trends resurge and new ones dry up, and the process repeats itself. Thrash will have its heyday again in some shape or form. In 30 years people will reminisce about djent and metalcore classic bands.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

25.08.2014 at 03:16
Written by Cill O' Connor on 25.08.2014 at 02:56

EXACTLY. And thrash didn't really 'die', it merely dropped in popularity compared to how huge it was in the 80s.

It virtually did die though. It went from being the biggest genre to almost non-existant. Most bands playing it either broke up or abandoned writing new Thrash songs in favour of Groove or Alternative or even Death Metal. Glam Metal died in the 1990s as well. And it's never had a massive resurgence like Thrash did in the early-2000s. It's still very much moribound but it does chug along decrepitly, which is more than what it was doing in the mid-late 1990s.

This wasn't like Death Metal which exhausted itself by mid-1990s but kept going in terms of old bands continuing to play the style and new bands emerging.

Quote:
Art, as with everything is cyclical rather than linear. Old trends resurge and new ones dry up, and the process repeats itself. Thrash will have its heyday again in some shape or form.

Totally agree. However it's a lot easier to keep things going with the internet.

Quote:
In 30 years people will reminisce about djent and metalcore classic bands.

Sir, I can assure you that at age 64 I will not be reminiscing about djent and metalcore.
Cill O' Connor

25.08.2014 at 03:33
Written by deadone on 25.08.2014 at 03:16

It virtually did die though. It went from being the biggest genre to almost non-existant. Most bands playing it either broke up or abandoned writing new Thrash songs in favour of Groove or Alternative or even Death Metal. Glam Metal died in the 1990s as well. And it's never had a massive resurgence like Thrash did in the early-2000s. It's still very much moribound but it does chug along decrepitly, which is more than what it was doing in the mid-late 1990s.

This wasn't like Death Metal which exhausted itself by mid-1990s but kept going in terms of old bands continuing to play the style and new bands emerging.

Totally agree. However it's a lot easier to keep things going with the internet.

Sir, I can assure you that at age 64 I will not be reminiscing about djent and metalcore.

Virtually, but all I'm saying is that it was and will always be kept alive in a minimal way even by fans and bands (which I think is really what the underground is about).Internet has definitely ensured that genres live on and influence more musicians than they would have in the past.

You may not, but I can assure you other people will. Those 2 genres have a pretty large following at the mo so I see no reason why their fans won't still enjoy it when they're 64.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

25.08.2014 at 03:40
Written by Cill O' Connor on 25.08.2014 at 03:33

Virtually, but all I'm saying is that it was and will always be kept alive in a minimal way even by fans and bands (which I think is really what the underground is about).

Pure Thrash wasn't even happening in underground in mid-late 1990s (it made me really sad). You did have bands with elements of Thrash like Iced Earth and then The Haunted, Witchery but they often were closer to melodic Death or Power Metal. And it was hard to obtain too and find out about.

Quote:
You may not, but I can assure you other people will. Those 2 genres have a pretty large following at the mo so I see no reason why their fans won't still enjoy it when they're 64.

I don't doubt that!

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 [2]

Login or register to post here.