Metal Storm logo
Tool - Settle Lawsuit, New Album Update

Tool guitarist Adam Jones has recently given some new updates about the new album's progress and the legal issues the band faced. He was interviewed by Yahoo! Music and announced that the lawsuit that dragged on for eight years has been settled in the band's favor. For now, Jones, bassist Justin Chancellor, and drummer Danny Carey have finished one yet-untitled track and have more than 10 songs in various stages of completion. The next step is making plans for vocalist Maynard James Keenan to come in and start tracking vocals.

Jones revealed: "When you try to be ethical and sleep well at night and try to do the right thing, and people around you are not doing the right thing and trying to take advantage of you, it really affects your creativity and your sleep and your relationships with people and everything you do. We would have had an album out a long time ago, we would have been taking more tours. But we've been discouraged and distracted by this major lawsuit, which is the worst thing that's ever happened to us. It reminds me of one of those ads you see on TV where a guy goes, 'Have you been in a car wreck? Call us!'"

The saga which wrapped up the week of March 2nd, began in 2007 when one of Tool's employees claimed he created artwork for the band and wanted credit. Jones insists there was no merit in the man's claim and the band assumed its insurance company would take care of the matter. The company refused, and when Tool disputed the legality of their refusal, the company filed its own suit against the band.

In addition to dealing with seemingly insurmountable legal obstacles, the band has also been affected by previously undisclosed health issues, which impaired its progress.

About the new material, he said: "Our greatest strength is jamming and coming up with stuff. We're doing that really well now and I'm excited about everything we're working on. Some of it's really heavy, some of it's complex and some is more atmospheric, but it's definitely Tool. I think having this lawsuit out of the way should really speed of the progress of getting the album done."

The band hopes to finish the new Tool album before the end of the year. We will have to wait until all the pieces fit.

Source: yahoo.com
Band profile: Tool
Posted: 16.03.2015 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 20   Visited by: 335 users
16.03.2015 - 12:44
Wiillak
So, it seems may there be some light at the end of the tunnel for my grandchild
16.03.2015 - 13:31
Joe Zombie
Does Maynard even care about the band anymore? Or is he too busy making his shitty wine? The other guys seem to have been busy actually writing.
16.03.2015 - 14:21
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Joe Zombie on 16.03.2015 at 13:31

Does Maynard even care about the band anymore? Or is he too busy making his shitty wine? The other guys seem to have been busy actually writing.

Maynard comes in only when the other three have written their parts to add lyrics/vocal melodies. That's how Tool works, according to him.
16.03.2015 - 17:35
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff

From the source (Yahoo article):
"There was once a time when Keenan would enter the studio with his bandmates and sit around while they worked out parts for songs. But as soon as he came up with a complimentary vocal part they'd change the rhythmic structure of what they were working on and what Keenan composed no longer worked. That's the point when he decided he would leave the studio and allow his bandmates to finish songs before he came in to add vocals."

I'm sure he cares as much as the next guy since he regularly visits the studio to check up on progress.

This is great news, I'm glad it all worked out for them.
16.03.2015 - 17:38
Joe Zombie
Written by Netzach on 16.03.2015 at 17:35

From the source (Yahoo article):
"There was once a time when Keenan would enter the studio with his bandmates and sit around while they worked out parts for songs. But as soon as he came up with a complimentary vocal part they'd change the rhythmic structure of what they were working on and what Keenan composed no longer worked. That's the point when he decided he would leave the studio and allow his bandmates to finish songs before he came in to add vocals."

I'm sure he cares as much as the next guy since he regularly visits the studio to check up on progress.

This is great news, I'm glad it all worked out for them.

I see. Nice tidbit of information.
16.03.2015 - 17:55
X5452
Account deleted
YEAH TOOL!
16.03.2015 - 20:23
PocketMetal
"We will have to wait until all the pieces fit."

I see what you did there.
16.03.2015 - 20:28
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by PocketMetal on 16.03.2015 at 20:23

"We will have to wait until all the pieces fit."

I see what you did there.

Ahah I'm glad. I love that song, couldn't resist
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.03.2015 - 22:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by BloodTears on 16.03.2015 at 20:28

Ahah I'm glad. I love that song, couldn't resist

yeah, hopefully the release process for this doesn't spiral out of control.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.03.2015 - 00:37
Opethian
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
17.03.2015 - 01:37
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
One of the most overrated bands in metal, IMO.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
17.03.2015 - 02:29
phanto
17.03.2015 - 03:44
Great news. It's nice to know that the pieces fit, I just hope the new album isn't mildewed and smoldering.
17.03.2015 - 03:46
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 17.03.2015 at 01:37

Perhaps them, Ne Obliviscaris, and Wintersun.
17.03.2015 - 03:50
Rupert

I strongly disagree.
17.03.2015 - 06:23
HumanSpirit
Whatever, I just need a new Tool album.
17.03.2015 - 06:24
HumanSpirit
Written by Rupert on 17.03.2015 at 03:50

I strongly disagree.

I've heard/read that statement countless times now. And I have never had a full congruent "WHY"
17.03.2015 - 11:22
bacodaseta1
Phanto's post is exhilarating;D
17.03.2015 - 13:27
(((O)))
Nah Tool ain't overrated and Maynard's wine ain't shitty either. They're the best band ever.
17.03.2015 - 19:47
Ruchesko
Oh America - litigation nation much.

Hits total: 4023 | This month: 5