05. King Redeem / Queen Serene
06. Turn On The Darkness
07. The Ectopic Stroll
08. Rapid Calm
09. Memory Palace
10. Option Oblivion
11. Life In Velvet

Additional info
All music and lyrics written and performed by Between the Buried and Me.
Recorded in January/February of 2015 at The Basement Studios.
Engineered by Jamie King.
Drums and piano recorded by Jamie King and Kris Hilbert at The Fidelitorium.
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios.
Additional production by Kevin King.
Produced by Between the Buried and Me and Jamie King.
Art direction/layout: Corey Meyers.
Photography: Aaron Strelecki.

Guest review by
musclassia
Rating:
The promising work of Between The Buried And Me's early work eventually led to astonishing achievement that was 2007's colossal Colors, a staggering concoction of ferocious metalcore and progressive metal with a whole load of weird thrown in.

Read more ››
published 26.08.2015 | Comments (1)

Found in 43 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 698 users
21.03.2015 - 07:10
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Looks like it's going to be a modern classic. Really stoked for this.
21.03.2015 - 19:32
Lit.
Account deleted
Also stoked. BTBAM can do no wrong.
14.06.2015 - 14:03
Rating: 10
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Their most consistent work after TGM and The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues EP. I'm happy they finally decided to forgo the tiresome combination of trite "brutal" riffs with screams. Not quite as melodically inspiring as their other releases, but the songwriting consistency certainly deserves merit. I think I'll give this a 9.
15.06.2015 - 20:28
koob
These clean vocals are atrocious in the first tracks... Still have to listen to the rest but for the moment it's downright anoying...

EDIT : Well, some of the song are starting to grow on me we'll see in a while.
20.06.2015 - 03:18
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Perfect 10 from me. I didn't think they could top Colors, but they may have.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
24.06.2015 - 22:56
Lit.
Account deleted
Calling BS on this being better than Colors, nothing this band releases could be better than that masterpiece.

That said, this is really good on its own.
07.07.2015 - 00:52
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Not sure why there's such praise for Colours when their true masterpiece is TGM

In any case, this easily tops Colours, but falls just short of the quality of TGM.

Edit: perhaps it's because I've grown so fond of TGM...maybe in time I will see this as it's equal.
07.07.2015 - 09:43
Timmeh
Dudeman
May well be their most mature effort yet. Tommy seems to have taken a more death metal rasp into his harsh vocals this time (over the hxc). I think there have been huge improvements across the board in the vocal department in general.
07.07.2015 - 12:23
robpal
Proglord
Don't like it. Too much core, to little prog. Won't rate it though, just not my music.
07.07.2015 - 16:19
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by robpal on 07.07.2015 at 12:23

Too much core, to little prog.

Too much core? I wonder what you think of their previous efforts

Edit: I noticed you gave The Ocean's latest a 9. That's got heaps more "core" than this
08.07.2015 - 02:53
-Morbid-
Haven't picked this up yet and have avoided listening to it aside from one of the music videos as I want to wait until I have a physical copy, but do they avoid the repetition (particularly on the vocal side) that crept it's way into The Parallax II?

That part in "Lay Your Ghosts to Rest" where he yells "WEAK SOULS WEAK MINDS" what feels like 50 times always sent me scrambling for the fast forward button, and I remember there were a few others that grated on me which made me really sad because I felt it was a very very strong album otherwise.
08.07.2015 - 06:51
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by -Morbid- on 08.07.2015 at 02:53
do they avoid the repetition (particularly on the vocal side) that crept it's way into The Parallax II?

It does happen a few times, but the duration of each occurrence felt fitting, imo.
08.07.2015 - 12:23
Rating: 8
Lethrokai
Yeah this is absolutely solid. I've always preferred BTBAM when they had a more focused sense of direction. I also preferred their cleaner sections over their harsh, chaotic sections. (Their sense of chaos never really caught me unlike bands such as TDEP. Too grating...)

So this album feels like it was made for me. The songwriting feels like it was definitely kicked up a notch too, thanks to the more focused approach on this one; The Coma Machine may just be my favourite BTBAM single to date.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
08.07.2015 - 21:53
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Lethrokai on 08.07.2015 at 12:23

Yeah this is absolutely solid. I've always preferred BTBAM when they had a more focused sense of direction. I also preferred their cleaner sections over their harsh, chaotic sections. (Their sense of chaos never really caught me unlike bands such as TDEP. Too grating...)

So this album feels like it was made for me. The songwriting feels like it was definitely kicked up a notch too, thanks to the more focused approach on this one; The Coma Machine may just be my favourite BTBAM single to date.

Couldn't agree more with everything you said. Surprised you didn't give it a higher rating based on your comments.
09.07.2015 - 13:40
Lethrokai
Written by LeKiwi on 08.07.2015 at 21:53

Couldn't agree more with everything you said. Surprised you didn't give it a higher rating based on your comments.

Yeah right now I'm stuck between an 8 or 9 for it. But the thing is, I find this album to be absolutely solid overall, yet there aren't really many moments that push it "beyond" that for me. I see this album similarly to how I see the recent Native Construct release; I have little to no issues with it but at the same time there aren't many moments that leave me speechless in a sense. Maybe subsequent listens might fix that, but for now an 8 is my safe rating, and I doubt it'll fall below that.

The only metal album this year (or at least the only one on MS) that's really pushed past that boundary for me so far is the new Leprous. But I'm still hoping I'll be able to give more high ratings with the range of albums still to come.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
09.07.2015 - 14:12
PocketMetal
Written by robpal on 07.07.2015 at 12:23

Don't like it. Too much core, to little prog. Won't rate it though, just not my music.

Honestly I don't know how you could make such a comment, this is almost fully prog with some core elements.
09.07.2015 - 14:17
robpal
Proglord
Written by PocketMetal on 09.07.2015 at 14:12

Honestly I don't know how you could make such a comment, this is almost fully prog with some core elements.
Well, for me there is enough crappy screams to make this album mediocre.
09.07.2015 - 18:16
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by robpal on 09.07.2015 at 14:17

Mediocre =/= "core"
09.07.2015 - 18:19
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Lethrokai on 09.07.2015 at 13:40
I see this album similarly to how I see the recent Native Construct release; I have little to no issues with it but at the same time there aren't many moments that leave me speechless in a sense. Maybe subsequent listens might fix that, but for now an 8 is my safe rating, and I doubt it'll fall below that.

I can understand that - see what happens with a few more listens
10.07.2015 - 03:50
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by robpal on 09.07.2015 at 14:17

You'll get used to it after a while, I find it hard to imagine BTBAM any other way now, besides there is just so much more talent behind the vocals screaming for your attention.
10.07.2015 - 22:12
musclassia
Staff
After first listen, I don't think it quite matches up to their best (Colors and perhaps Parallax II and TGM), as I did find myself losing contact with it a bit during the middle stretch at times, but the first songs they released (Coma Machine and Memory Palace) are still great, and the Coma Machine callbacks in the last track or so are very effective. There's also plenty of entertaining material along the way, and I look forward to getting to know it better with subsequent listens. Wouldn't call it their best but they definitely haven't disappointed
11.07.2015 - 23:33
Rating: 9
sharkruisher
Another amazing effort and concept, the band just keeps delivering the goods. Still hold Parallax as their greatest album to date, but this release is not too far behind quality wise. Can't wait to see them live later this fall
----
I have been called many names, and they are all true

Metalhead, long haired bastard, (former) reviewer, Swede, semi-handsome, dingus
14.07.2015 - 00:44
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I'm not always into prog, but this is so fun to listen =]
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
15.10.2015 - 05:12
Rating: 9
MoonProgeny
This is a very colorful album. I was expecting something a bit harder overall, I suppose due to the band's reputation, but after a few listens I must say whatever it is the band was going for somehow works here. I mean, Coma Ecliptic certainly has a "retro" influence in that there seems to be a strong progressive rock vibe throghout the album - not just in the audible sounds but in the melodies, also, especially vocally. At any rate, I enjoy the record although I am still getting used to it (if that makes sense) ... I will cast a vote when I feel my opinion is more definitive. King Redeem / Queen Serene is probably my favorite song at the moment - the contrast between the light parts and the heavy parts is quite satisfying.
20.10.2015 - 18:02
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by LeKiwi on 08.07.2015 at 21:53

Written by Lethrokai on 08.07.2015 at 12:23

Couldn't agree more with everything you said.

I'm with you guys on this one.
20.10.2015 - 18:05
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Lethrokai on 09.07.2015 at 13:40

I find this album to be absolutely solid overall, yet there aren't really many moments that push it "beyond" that for me.

Exactly what seems to be the problem for this record. But if there has to be a highlight here, it is definitely The Coma Machine. Also those Pink Floyd-ian vibes in Memory Palace is brilliant.
02.11.2015 - 21:27
Hunterpr97
One of the best albums for 2015 in my opinion.
27.01.2016 - 01:20
Wukk
Prior to this, my only experience with BTBAM was trying Colors a while back and not really getting it, so I wrote them off as a band I'm just not into. I really didn't expect to like this as much as I did, it's surprisingly good. One of 2015's best albums after first listen.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
29.03.2016 - 10:34
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Only BTBAM album in my collection and very impressed. Rewarded by repeated listening. Usually takes me awhile to digest an album and this one a bit more than the usual. Good to know that PROG is still alive and well.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
29.03.2016 - 16:37
musclassia
Staff
Written by Ace Frawley on 29.03.2016 at 10:34

Only BTBAM album in my collection and very impressed. Rewarded by repeated listening. Usually takes me awhile to digest an album and this one a bit more than the usual. Good to know that PROG is still alive and well.

Don't know what your tolerance is for really intense extreme stuff, but if you're looking to expand into more BTBAM, I've been listening to The Great Misdirect today and I think that's probably the easiest step to take as far steadily approaching their heavier stuff. It's got a reasonable amount of extreme stuff but a lot of melodic parts as well, and I think some of their strongest work on both fronts is on that album. Obviously Colors is the one everyone loves, and it is a fantastic album, but it's pretty damn intense, and the Parallax albums are both great but I think The Great Misdirect might be slightly superior.

Hits total: 12853 | This month: 42