Metal Storm logo
Radical crossover cover songs

10.03.2007 - 15:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i mean cover songs which sound nowhere near the original. i generally speak of music genre "x"<->metal, where music genre "x" can be rap, pop, you get the point.
-judas priest-diamonds and rust(from joan baez): i heard the blackmore's night version after the 4(sin after sin, unleashed in the east, 98 live meltdown, and rising in the east) priest versions and i was "wow.." it is like a totally different song. it's like a half-cover.
-tori amos-raining blood(from slayer): the sheer insane brutality of the original is changed to an extremely boring sequence of piano arpegios with the original lyrics wailed by the girl. the song is just utterly worthless, as opposed to the original, which is exactly like ian from anthrax said: "when you go to a slayer show, you expect raining blood. it's like your'e going to some epic movie and you're waiting for the climax"
10.03.2007 - 17:02
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
I think you should change the title of this thread to "radical cover songs". And I also really think the Tori Amos cover of Slayer is haunting and beautiful, as are most of her unusual covers.
10.03.2007 - 17:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
lol man i think it's the exact opposite. it's BOOORING as fuck...
10.03.2007 - 19:04
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Oops, I did it again. (original by Britney Spears, covered by Children Of Bodom)

I am really pissed I lost the mp3 of this song, it was such a great laugh. And what was even more funny were all the people in the CoB thread that were so pissed!! I remember someone he wanted to get rid of his Alexi tattoo because of this.. :
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
10.03.2007 - 19:17
tulkas
el parcero
tori amos did a cover from raining blood!!?? I dind' know that, I guess I'll have to look for it.
I also like the oops I did it again, hehe, it's really cool. when listen again the original from mrs spears I'll just sing it soooo loud
I also like the cover of pet shop boys' it's a sin done by graveworm, it's really cool and I think I prefer it over the losing my religion cover
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
10.03.2007 - 19:52
Warman
Erotic Stains
Oops, I Did It Again by CoB is awesome, especially the solo!
----
10.03.2007 - 19:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lucas on 10.03.2007 at 19:04

Oops, I did it again. (original by Britney Spears, covered by Children Of Bodom)

I am really pissed I lost the mp3 of this song, it was such a great laugh. And what was even more funny were all the people in the CoB thread that were so pissed!! I remember someone he wanted to get rid of his Alexi tattoo because of this.. :

I came in here thinking of that song. It was obviously a joke on Laihos part, and he obviously didnt mean it to be taken seriously, which is that part that confuses me about all those hardcore Bodom fans who are getting pissed off about that song.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.03.2007 - 20:51
Bitch Boy
John Lennon's "Imagine" by A Perfect Circle comes to my mind, it's really awesome and sounds quite different from the original.
11.03.2007 - 00:00
Graveheart
Graveworm, absolutely. Listen to "Losing My Religion" (from REM), "Fear of the Dark" (from Iron Maiden, silly) or "How Many Tears" (from Helloween) and you will understand. These cover songs are highly controversial, there are many people who hate the band for doing these as well as those who appreciate it. I don't have a problem with these songs or symphonic black metal in general, but I certainly don't respect them. Their Losing My Religion is actually quite catchy, and at the time when I discovered the new version I didn't like REM at all, so it sounded good for sure back then. Now I can't deny that both versions are listenable even though they are extremely different.
11.03.2007 - 01:29
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
damn...this thread requires me to think. Here are the most dramatic covers that I can think of:

Johnny Cash - Hurt (NIN)
The Deicide cover of Deep Purple...forget the name
Pantera - Hole in the Sky (Black Sabbath) (the best )

A blues/country musician covering an industrial rock band is pretty fucking dramatic if you ask me. I don't really like both versions of the songs, but I think it's kinda cool that Johnny Cash covered NIN. The Deep Purple cover is also significantly different. Deicide took an old school rock song and blasted the fuck out of it. Finally, the Black Sabbath cover isn't as different as the previous two, but Pantera still managed to add their own personality to an already awesome song.
11.03.2007 - 22:51
rebelos
Account deleted
- The Sound Of Silence by Nevermore original by Simon and Garfunkel
it's totaly different! but still the same emotions are hiding in there!

- Children Of The Grave by Neurosis original by Black Sabbath
that's a really weird song... so weird as Neurosis and that's a why it's a radical cover
12.03.2007 - 13:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@Rebelos. Ah yeah, I forgot that one. Both versions are really really great songs.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.03.2007 - 06:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
When I first saw Twisted Sisters cover of 'O Come All Ye Faithful' I thought it was going to be radical then I realisedhow similar the songs were, and how close it was to 'Were Not Gonna Take It', and how thatsong may actually be somewhat based off of 'O Come All Ye Faithful'
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.03.2007 - 20:17
Sunioj
Theres this one swedish artists who does acoustical covers of dismember songs....that sounds weird.

http://www.myspace.com/tonynaima
21.03.2007 - 20:20
Torelli
When we're talking about radical cover, one band comes to my mind: Hellsongs.
Hellsongs play covers of classical metalsongs like breaking the law, I wanna be somebody etc, then they transform it to beautiful aucustic versions. One of my favorites is Run to the hills. Normaly i can't stand this song but Hellsongs version is so beautiful. If you want to listen to it then check this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AguuHDW42OQ&mode=related&search=
21.03.2007 - 20:31
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 11.03.2007 at 01:29

damn...this thread requires me to think. Here are the most dramatic covers that I can think of:

Johnny Cash - Hurt (NIN)
The Deicide cover of Deep Purple...forget the name
Pantera - Hole in the Sky (Black Sabbath) (the best )

A blues/country musician covering an industrial rock band is pretty fucking dramatic if you ask me. I don't really like both versions of the songs, but I think it's kinda cool that Johnny Cash covered NIN. The Deep Purple cover is also significantly different. Deicide took an old school rock song and blasted the fuck out of it. Finally, the Black Sabbath cover isn't as different as the previous two, but Pantera still managed to add their own personality to an already awesome song.

Johnny Cash also covered Soundgardens "Rusty Cage", sounds more like some, "semi rock n roll" when he plays it ^-^
not that Soundgarden is "metal" <.<
21.03.2007 - 21:15
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 21.03.2007 at 20:20

When we're talking about radical cover, one band comes to my mind: Hellsongs.
Hellsongs play covers of classical metalsongs like breaking the law, I wanna be somebody etc, then they transform it to beautiful aucustic versions. One of my favorites is Run to the hills. Normaly i can't stand this song but Hellsongs version is so beautiful. If you want to listen to it then check this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AguuHDW42OQ&mode=related&search=

The cover version is indeed beautiful....sad and beautiful....while the original is simply....energetic and fight provoking...

About covers....it's not very radical cover...but I really enjoy Angtoria's cover of Kylie Minogue's song "Confide In Me"....the original is a nice and deep song....but Angtoria has went even farther....this song is awesome...
22.03.2007 - 16:50
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
You are probably looking for anything by Ten Masked Men. They are a British Death Metal band who play covers of Pop hits like Britney Spears's "Baby One More Time" and Ricky Martin's "Livin' La Vida Loca" (those are my favourites).

MySpace profile: http://www.myspace.com/tenmaskedmen

Official website: http://tenmaskedmen.com/
24.03.2007 - 15:37
Vunts
A friend gave me a link to a video cover of "Baby One More Time" by Britney. It was quite awesome and to be honest, i really loved the chorus
http://spikedhumor.com/articles/90327/Britney_Goes_Thrash_Metal.html

I didn't know what band performed it, but after Taktsekte's post, i have a pretty good clue.
24.03.2007 - 15:49
Carrion
Account deleted
I'd like to cover the theme music of Starfox and Oi Beibi by Raptori some day But I have to say that apart from CoB's Britney cover, the only radical coversong that I've heard is Final Cuntdown by Stone. The guitars are tooned so badly and drums don't keep in rhytm, so that the whole classical Countdown-song (by swedes, Stone was finnish, mind you ) becomes nothing but a silly parody
25.03.2007 - 08:59
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Graveheart on 11.03.2007 at 00:00

Graveworm, absolutely. Listen to "Losing My Religion" (from REM), "Fear of the Dark" (from Iron Maiden, silly) or "How Many Tears" (from Helloween) and you will understand.

ah yes, graveworm covers, I understand... among these I've listened especially to 'fear of the dark' and it sounds quoite far from the original one.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
25.03.2007 - 11:45
Anathemani@c
There is a band called "TENMASKEDMEN" that is a death metal/ comedy / pop music band and covers songs like Sex bomb from Tom Johnes, Livin la vida loca from Rickie Martin, Blue from Eiffel65 and another.. You can try them out here: http://www.myspace.com/tenmaskedmen
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
17.06.2007 - 10:28
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I was just looking around on Nevermore and Sanctuary's myspace sites and found Sanctuary's cover of Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" up. I listened to it a few times and it was actually awesome. It was very different from the original but still held that vintage air about it. I enjoyed it immensely. Check it out.
----
The force will be with you, always.
05.07.2007 - 17:07
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
In Extremo adapted two songs form "Carmina Burana" (You know, the opera by Carl Orff): Stetit Puella and Omnia Sol Temperat, in their album Sünder Ohne Zügel. Daaaamn awesome. I have the Opera performed by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, and I gotta say thosse were amazing adaptations.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
05.07.2007 - 17:35
Ernis
狼獾
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 05.07.2007 at 17:07

In Extremo adapted two songs form "Carmina Burana" (You know, the opera by Carl Orff): Stetit Puella and Omnia Sol Temperat, in their album Sünder Ohne Zügel. Daaaamn awesome. I have the Opera performed by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, and I gotta say thosse were amazing adaptations.

"Carmina Burana" isn't an opera....it's a cantata, in this case, a staged cantata....and there's actually a difference between opera and cantata...these are considered two separate genres....
I like "Omnia Sol Temperat"....In Extremo sings it very well.....
About the original songs....these were written by Carl Orff based on medieval song manuscripts found in the monastery of Bauern in Germany...."Carmina Burana" actually means "Songs of Bauern" (Carmen - song/Buranum - Bauern) it's Latin...
05.07.2007 - 19:22
Pinusar
Account deleted
I listened to Coroner's cover of I think Jimmy Hendrix' Purple Haze. Although I can't say it's radical but I liked it, they did it a bit faster and heavier, and I'd say they didn't ruin the song by experimenting so much, it sounded quite different but still good.
05.07.2007 - 19:53
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Ernis on 05.07.2007 at 17:35

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 05.07.2007 at 17:07

"Carmina Burana" isn't an opera....it's a cantata, in this case, a staged cantata....and there's actually a difference between opera and cantata...these are considered two separate genres....
I like "Omnia Sol Temperat"....In Extremo sings it very well.....
About the original songs....these were written by Carl Orff based on medieval song manuscripts found in the monastery of Bauern in Germany...."Carmina Burana" actually means "Songs of Bauern" (Carmen - song/Buranum - Bauern) it's Latin...

Well I didin't know that, it's not something I usually listen to, and I don't know much about classical music. Thanks for making it clear for me
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
05.07.2007 - 23:25
Ernis
狼獾
@Señor El Cato....You're welcome...it's just that I went through a course in history of art, architecture and music and it lasted several years and our teacher was marvellous....that's why I know these things....btw...the style of Carl Orff is called neo-classical....the essence of it being modern in arrangement but inspired by classical music(and baroque and medieval etc)...
06.07.2007 - 20:39
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Madonna's poppy La Isla Bonita covered in power metal by Twilight Guardians - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE4FA5cWGaA

i must say it is quite catchy song, especially in this metal version
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

06.07.2007 - 21:24
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ellrohir on 06.07.2007 at 20:39

Madonna's poppy La Isla Bonita covered in power metal by Twilight Guardians - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE4FA5cWGaA

i must say it is quite catchy song, especially in this metal version

Indeed, you're right....the arrangement is very well done here.....the original song is poppy but it's not a horrid pop song....rather bearable....