Poll

Do You Stick Whit?

Many Genres
One Genre

Total votes: 65
25.12.2015 - 15:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I never really understood why people just stick whit one metal genre. When I start there was no I net, and easy access, we had tapes, bootleg tapes, rare CD's and most we have copy tape , from tape , CD, radio, whit hand written artwork. We did listen Jimi Hendrix, van Halen, Metallica,. Cannibal Corpse, Paradise Lost, Cream, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, X Wild, H Blockx , and so on. This is how many like me grew up, lived, listened, it was hard get anything for poor school kid. Someone got, we shared. There was no MS, radu and JN and database requests , SB recommendations, new weird bands as Immortal, Emperor was hard to get and basically anything new, no matter what genre was something awesome. It was easier if you was living in capital city, follow concerts, stores, but living away and so on it was hard to get. This is why I like many genres, as possible. Digging deeper came in 2004 when I got I net, discovered genre sites as gothmetal.net , doommetal.com MA, MS --- then it was just dig deeper as you can ... and be happy , later I start filtrate genres, but as 22 when many ppl get married, have a children, lose life I got enrichment in the metal, spend 10 years online, listening what I have lost because of bad days. I net brought light but now seems we don't appreciate old ways anymore, torent, band camp, youtube

So to me somehow like many older lads, we like all genres , and all what was before our time, now I filtrate out x - core, core-x , djent, nu, meth, prog , some power... but bm and all supgenres, heavy, death, death/doom, trad doom, epic doom, stoner/doom, gothic/doom, US power, heavy, hard rock, some power, some folk , etc ....
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.12.2015 - 17:47
Lit.
Account deleted
Boy, do I feel sorry for someone who only sticks to one genre.

Or blacklists certain genres like you do, for that matter.
25.12.2015 - 17:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 25.12.2015 at 17:47

Boy, do I feel sorry for someone who only sticks to one genre.

Or blacklists certain genres like you do, for that matter.

i don't like djent, math,
any core, prog there I judge bands individually, I hate DT , totally boring band but I adore FW , awesome song writes ... and in genres I like are bad bands to
----

apos;'
[image]
25.12.2015 - 17:53
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Sticking with only one genre is stupid. Imagine if you could choose all possibilities of one thing but you decide "duh, no. I only like one of them and forget about all the rest". Why would you do that? Isn't more possibilities always better?

Next people will start doing that for other things, such as say love, for instance. "duh, I will love only one person and forget about the rest".
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
25.12.2015 - 18:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Karlabos on 25.12.2015 at 17:53

Sticking with only one genre is stupid. Imagine if you could choose all possibilities of one thing but you decide "duh, no. I only like one of them and forget about all the rest". Why would you do that? Isn't more possibilities always better?

Next people will start doing that for other things, such as say love, for instance. "duh, I will love only one person and forget about the rest".

I better stick whit many genres and one women, not whit one genre, or what is worst fav band and 1000 women
most I hate when ppl play just one band like Iron maiden 80% next 18% is Iced Earth, Bruce 2% are some other HM ....
----

apos;'
[image]
26.12.2015 - 00:32
Wukk
But what if one genre is...what people enjoy listening to? Heaven forbid if that were the case.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
26.12.2015 - 03:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Wukk on 26.12.2015 at 00:32

But what if one genre is...what people enjoy listening to? Heaven forbid if that were the case.

its somehow is wrong, metal is many genres , then say you're thrasher, blacker, heavyer, doomster, not say I am metalhead and say manowar is true and rest are posers
----

apos;'
[image]
26.12.2015 - 06:14
no one
Account deleted
I will try other stuff, but i predominantly listen to black metal as that's the sound i like best, also it's a pretty diverse genre.
26.12.2015 - 12:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 26.12.2015 at 06:14

I will try other stuff, but i predominantly listen to black metal as that's the sound i like best, also it's a pretty diverse genre.

it sounds , but you're not bm elitist ,,,
----

apos;'
[image]
26.12.2015 - 17:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Another think I don't get is, why Dead One don't like BM, he is in genres what my generation metalheads labels as classics , he likes HM, TM, DM, HR, some doom, but not black, there no logic

another what I hate is BM elitists what says, to us even saxon or alice cooper whir satanistic lyric is BM

Also I hate ''true HM'' fans what like only manowar and such HM and rejects other,s they even wrongly label, Venom, MF, KD as BM ,,, and if listens Bathory just 1th 2 albums...1th wave BM is not BM , as we know now, it comes from Norge. Influenced buy those bands but tock it to higher, heavier and better level
----

apos;'
[image]
26.12.2015 - 18:58
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
"Yes, I listen to many metal genres. It's stupid sticking with just one subgenre! All subgenres are good, as long as they are metal! God forbid you listen to anything unrelated to metal!"
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
26.12.2015 - 18:59
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
I initially thought this was a more administrative question, like how do you prefer Band's styles be added (for ex. Industrial Black Metal as one genre or Black Metal and Industrial Metal as separates).
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
26.12.2015 - 20:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RaduP on 26.12.2015 at 18:59

I initially thought this was a more administrative question, like how do you prefer Band's styles be added (for ex. Industrial Black Metal as one genre or Black Metal and Industrial Metal as separates).

such things wont be asked here, direct PM to Delta Tango or Lex or Juliet November
----

apos;'
[image]
26.12.2015 - 22:33
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I'd agree if metal was still quite simple to it's roots - However, it's not any more. Metal is too broad, and contains too many subcultures to be under a single genre. I damn well don't want to be associated with the -core scene as i like that music as much as rap, and i generally find the fans and attitude-y music annoying. Call me a stereotype or whatever, but that's how it is for me.

I say the more sub genres the better. I want to KNOW the bands style in as much detail as possible. If it's a Doom Metal band, that has many Death Metal elements, i don't care which is more than the other, it's Death / Doom Metal. Sure it inflates your genre lists, but it goes to show just how much variety is in metal bands, and why the genre has so many subcultures within.
27.12.2015 - 00:49
Uldreth
Written by Bad English on 25.12.2015 at 15:30

So to me somehow like many older lads, we like all genres , and all what was before our time, now I filtrate out x - core, core-x , djent, nu, meth, prog , some power... but bm and all supgenres, heavy, death, death/doom, trad doom, epic doom, stoner/doom, gothic/doom, US power, heavy, hard rock, some power, some folk , etc ....

Not even once.

Seriously though, what if somebody only likes one genre of metal? I mean, I agree with you on principle (except for blacklisting genres, as Lit. said, it is just as silly), but what if I liked only one metal genre?
I can't help about what I like, so what then, should I listen to something I don't like?

Written by Dark Cornatus on 26.12.2015 at 22:33

I damn well don't want to be associated with the -core scene as i like that music as much as rap, and i generally find the fans ... annoying.

Hi there!
27.12.2015 - 04:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Quite possibly the most ridiculous poll on MS...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.12.2015 - 06:42
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by BitterCOld on 27.12.2015 at 04:56

Shh, not so loud. Someone might try to out do it.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
27.12.2015 - 16:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Math - metal roots its hard topic and since early 90's those roots are huge and separated, but roots influenced almost every single old band, and still does.
I think metal subculture is some kind a myth unless you're blacker and like play whit matches and heavy you like booze n drugs, hair- you like pussy and tits , death-you like corpses
I say metal unless its some core or new modern djent, nu, etc are same. Old days most men had hair, similar clothing, and what united us was love to music, unless its nu where basically ppl looks like hip hop freaks IMO

Uldreth - black lists is one, elitism is other, I don't black list genre before I listen (btw I think who influenced Nerver, when he became true crusade against Euro flower metal . I don't like Euro flower, only few bands, sounds like pop to me, I don't like core, its just 20min 10000 songs. I don't like prog, it don't sounds as metal, soft to me, but I judge a genre indivually

Craig - no it is not
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2015 - 20:38
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I think it's ok to not be much a fan of certain genres. All people are like that, actually. Even disliking all but one genres. As long as they trully don't like how that genre sounds.

But if you're talking about say... Those fans of black metal of the 90s, then they mostly "disliked" every genre but black metal because every other genre was mainstream or something. Imo "being mainstream" shouldn't be excuse not for listening to an entire genre. Actually the only good escuse for not listening to a genre is "I don't like the sound of it", that is the only possible, since we're talking about music and nothing else.

Of course, people are still entitled to think like "I don't want ever to listen to genre x because it's mainstream, or the fanbase acts weird or anything else", it's their opinion... But I still think it's a very shitty one =p
----
- Reimu Hakurei
27.12.2015 - 21:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Karlabos on 27.12.2015 at 20:38

I think it's ok to not be much a fan of certain genres. All people are like that, actually. Even disliking all but one genres. As long as they trully don't like how that genre sounds.

But if you're talking about say... Those fans of black metal of the 90s, then they mostly "disliked" every genre but black metal because every other genre was mainstream or something. Imo "being mainstream" shouldn't be excuse not for listening to an entire genre. Actually the only good escuse for not listening to a genre is "I don't like the sound of it", that is the only possible, since we're talking about music and nothing else.

Of course, people are still entitled to think like "I don't want ever to listen to genre x because it's mainstream, or the fanbase acts weird or anything else", it's their opinion... But I still think it's a very shitty one =p

good point, I didn't know much about genres up to I net in 2005 something and in teemage days my English was not good (Make a fun about me BC, MH or DP) same as Rudolf Schenker said about his English. I listen music, I don't never said I listen genres , I even don't consider me as metalhead , even I 90% listen this music. I am poser, some say I don't wear letter and jeans in minus 30¤C :p I don't dress like 80's metalhead , well about overated, I dislike genres because that music don't talk whit me, nothing else
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2015 - 21:36
no one
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 27.12.2015 at 20:38

Mainstream is pretty much always shit because it's a sound made for a massive audience ranging from people who like talent, to people who don't really like music, just know a catchy beat. You can tell by how different an underground bands sound changes when they go mainstream, it usually turns to easy listening simple minded boring shit for the mass crowd. That's why i don't bother with mainstream and don't want to ever listen to it, same reason i never listen to rap, i KNOW i won't like it.

But that's where it gets weird with deafheaven, that music isn't mainstream, it seems only mainstream because of the current hipster scene where it's cool to be ironic.
27.12.2015 - 22:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 27.12.2015 at 21:36

listening simple minded boring shit for the mass crowd. That's why i don't bother with mainstream and don't want to ever listen to it, same reason i never listen to rap, i KNOW i won't like it.

But that's where it gets weird with deafheaven, that music isn't mainstream, it seems only mainstream because of the current hipster scene where it's cool to be ironic.

band can be mainstream in MS shoutbox its also mainstream
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2015 - 23:21
no one
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 27.12.2015 at 22:37

band can be mainstream in MS shoutbox its also mainstream

uhhhh........ok?
28.12.2015 - 03:15
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Indeed it is stupid to stick to a single metal genre, if you do it on a kind of ideological basis. If somebody truly only likes power metal and not a single song from any other genre in the world, I cannot blame him. I kinda was the same when I was 14-15, only symphonic metal then. But many people seem to do it on purpose (i.e. ideologically, great example with the 2nd wave black metal dudes).

In fact, it is pretty close-minded to stick to only metal as a genre. Or any kind of rock for that matter. But there has definitely been an increase of interest in "non-metal metal" i.e. artists that are completely unrelated to metal as such but who are still enjoyable to a metal head because they encompass metal aesthetics even though the music is not metal.

For my part, I listen to many kinds of metal, some sub genres make me very skeptic but I will always give it a chance instead of just going "I fucking hate this kind of music". That's just close-minded to do. But I also listen to many kinds of non-metal. I usually dress and look as a metal head (long hair, band tees, leather jacket n stuff) but I have never understood some people's desire to exclusively belong to some sort of "subculture". I just listen to what happens to suit me best at the moment and it's usually some form of metal, but not seldom other types of rock, reggae or even psytrance and stuff.
28.12.2015 - 03:42
no one
Account deleted
Call me close minded, but there is so much metal out there these days i would seldom have to try out bands in genres i pretty much never enjoy.
28.12.2015 - 03:58
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 28.12.2015 at 03:42

Call me close minded...

You close minded!
----
- Reimu Hakurei
28.12.2015 - 04:40
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by BitterCOld on 27.12.2015 at 04:56

Not really ridiculous, but definitely unnecessary I would say.
28.12.2015 - 04:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Bad English on 27.12.2015 at 16:56

Craig - no it is not

1. It is Bitter. Not Craig, or Charlie or whatever.
2. it is. if the vote is near 100% unanimous, you know you have an absurd poll.

you spend enough time reporting everyone else's, you ought to know an absurd poll when you see when.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.12.2015 - 10:12
no one
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 28.12.2015 at 03:58

You close minded!

no call ME close minded, not you
28.12.2015 - 11:46
Zap
Just gonna vote "one genre" for shits and giggles.