14. Us Against The World [bonus]

Found in 12 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 39   Visited by: 929 users
29.08.2016 - 16:54
Rating: 7
Therapy?
Hooray! I'm looking forward to see what they have in store this time. SC sure was a letdown, but I'm positive that they can do better.

I also wonder how many "old vd new" arguments this album is going to start up again...
29.08.2016 - 19:40
Nivrame
So, I don't think that anything could be worse than Siren Charms so I'll check it after release,, but for me all hope is gone.
09.10.2016 - 09:10
raintrance
Can't wait for this!
09.10.2016 - 19:59
raintrance
Btw..1 person already has this? Who the shit is that?
10.11.2016 - 19:06
Meh. Album instrumentals are marginally better than the last release but the freaking vocals... ugh.
10.11.2016 - 21:30
Rating: 5
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by RobertDeJesus on 10.11.2016 at 19:06

Meh. Album instrumentals are marginally better than the last release but the freaking vocals... ugh.

I second that!
10.11.2016 - 21:36
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
I thought it will be better than Siren Charms, but apparently Siren Charms was way better. For me Sounds of a Playground Fading is their last decent release. I give this album 5/10 just because I'm a big In Flames fan, it deserves lower than that!
Bjorn Gelotte was the only good thing from this album!
11.11.2016 - 00:06
Nihil Aeternum
I am not one of those "in the past, everything was better" guys, and I rated Siren Charms 8/10 because I could enjoy it, but I can't give this record a second spin. It's too bad.
11.11.2016 - 05:56
Joe Zombie
Some catchy tunes, too much pop, awful production, no Jesper, whiny lyrics, I could go on. Siren Charms is leagues ahead of this, and I initially didn't care much for that record at all. I'm gonna go listen to Zombie Inc. now.
11.11.2016 - 08:23
Listened the album, gave me depression, R.I.P. in Flames for good.
11.11.2016 - 10:40
Rating: 4
s_t_s
Written by MaiSweettShaadow on 11.11.2016 at 08:23

You will have to change nickname then I'm not feeling brave enough to listen to this album.
11.11.2016 - 10:43
Written by s_t_s on 11.11.2016 at 10:40

Written by MaiSweettShaadow on 11.11.2016 at 08:23

You will have to change nickname then I'm not feeling brave enough to listen to this album.

Too lazy for that twall:, sounds like a generic american industrial pop rock album, and not in a good way.
11.11.2016 - 13:01
Rating: 1
Litvin
That is not In Flames that is sounds like Friden's another band called Passenger, he just mess up with a band names a bit.
11.11.2016 - 16:57
Rating: 6
joshsteph
I don't know if I like it or not. Listening to the album it felt like this was Bring Me The Horizon's follow-up to This Is The Spirit. The first thing that caught my attention was the solo in In My Room, then a few other interesting moments (Through My Eyes for example), but that's all. It is definitely better than their previous effort. I feel like I'll get bored of it very soon. For now a 6.
11.11.2016 - 17:27
iMorphball
I didn't find it too bad. Putting aside their older catalog, there are some good tunes here. Gotta have an open mind, though. This definitely isn't the In Flames of years ago.
11.11.2016 - 18:34
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by iMorphball on 11.11.2016 at 17:27

Gotta have an open mind, though. This definitely isn't the In Flames of years ago.

I like Siren Charms, Sounds of A Playground Fading, A Sense of Purpose, Come Clarity and every single album that is considered "New In Flames". But this? Other than the 4 tracks they released I liked 2 tracks which are "In My Room" and " Before I Fall". Other than that the album is filled with below-average rock/pop tracks. Bad vocals and they are weak instrumentally too. Even if they are not In Flames I wouldn't like to hear that at all as it's not good even under pop music measurements. I'm really disappointed and I hope I change my mind by time as it happened with Siren Charms because In Flames is one of my favorite bands and I like their old and new styles.
12.11.2016 - 05:02
Rating: 2
Vermoorden
Holy fuck, this album is the worst thing i've heard all year. I went into it with high hopes, and could barely make it through the whole thing. I thought Sounds of a Playground Fading was an improvement, but these last two albums have been HUGE steps back.
12.11.2016 - 13:49
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
What the hell happened to this band.... it gets worse every album. The last good thing i've heared from them were some random tracks from Come Clarity. From that album on, looks like they're competing for the Turd award of the year ffs.

12.11.2016 - 18:12
Therapy?
After a couple spins I must say that again, this album did not deliver what I hoped for (which, for the record, is not another TJR). Especially after the single "Through My Eyes" I kind of hoped for a bit more from the Come Clarity era. Unfortunately that did not happen.

That is not the only reason why I'm disappointed, though. It would be unreasonable to expect any complete reverting to older styles; that is not what In Flames does. I've always enjoyed the progress that In Flames showed across their discography and contrary to some, I actually really liked the direction where they were going with SoaPF, which I rated a 9/10. SC should have been even better, but was a big letdown. It felt unpolished, a rushed effort which affected that album's overall quality (I rated it 5.5). I also did not enjoy Anders using his clean voice the way he did there. I always prefer him screaming on the edge of clean, where he's best at hurling his emotions into the open (The song "Enter Tragedy" is a good example of what I mean with that, I think).

Due to SC I hoped the band would take more time with this album, include the awesome subtleties that I particularily liked on SoaPF and thereby surpass that great album. But alas, they did not. Apart from "Through My Eyes" and "Save Me" nothing really sticks, despite having listened to the album for a couple of times now. Worse even... listening back I conclude for myself that the song "A New Dawn" completely blows away anything from the latest two records.

That said, it's still an enjoyable listen overall, and I'm sure more songs will grow on me in due time. In Flames are becoming more accesible, which is not necessarily a bad thing, though I really miss the layers that were more present in SoaPF. Voicewise it's a hit and miss album; I feel that Anders experiments more which is cool and sometimes pays off, but sometimes it really doesn't. I'm also a bit afraid that he will not perform certain songs too well live, I already cringed a couple of times when I watched the new live bluray... so many new songs that he could not deliver. Though on this record never do I feel that it's as bad as it was on SC.

Overall, what I miss the most is that feeling of being overwhelmed at first spin and directly being able to pick a few epic favourites. Still a decent 7.4/10 though.
12.11.2016 - 21:59
Rating: 8
JÄY
Metal slave
Hmm... well, this is unexpected. I love it.
13.11.2016 - 03:14
Toxik
Well... I don't know how to feel with this one... I liked almost everything they released but this is missing something
14.11.2016 - 15:32
Rating: 4
s_t_s
Not sure if some people above rating this album a 7 or even 8 meant it seriously or if this was some sort of an ironic joke. I haven't listened to the whole thing and I won't, the 4 songs we were given were quite enough a challenge (or torture). I don't care if people change style or direction but when they go that far from what they used to do, they should rather change band name. Up to them of course... Also if you change direction, does it imply poor style ? What I have listened so far was really mediocre to say the least...
15.11.2016 - 11:48
Danny Thomas
This doesn;t sound as bad as everyone seems to be commenting. a bit cheesy, but it's growing on me. also, i feel like i am one of the only people who didn't hate siren charms. then again i lost the grandpa who raised me and my dad that year, so a lot of the songs hit me in the right way; almost like therapy of sorts. but, compared to their older stuff, they've gone downhill. (whoracle being my favorite album of theirs)
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
15.11.2016 - 14:28
Sword_Chant
Judging by most of the comments and from what i've heard of them since 2008, there's no hope for this one.
19.11.2016 - 00:28
addiction
This is actually a lot better than I expected it to be. It has some pretty cool riffs and melodies. I wouldn't put it in a "best of the year" list, but It is quite enjoyable to listen to. Any 1,2 or 10 votes are completely idiotic in this case...
----
alive in the superunknown
24.11.2016 - 01:41
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
I actually am enjoying this one a bit; Unlike Siren Charms which I felt no desire to listen to again after my first run through. Still undecided on my rating.
27.11.2016 - 16:32
Rating: 9
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Instrumentally, it's better than Sirens Charms, also catchier and with a more positive vibe. It's one of the best in their XXI century phase.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
04.12.2016 - 15:44
Pimpelmee
Amazing Mapman
Written by Sword_Chant on 15.11.2016 at 14:28

Judging by most of the comments and from what i've heard of them since 2008, there's no hope for this one.

So you rate the album w/out having listened to it?
04.12.2016 - 20:24
Sword_Chant
Written by Pimpelmee on 04.12.2016 at 15:44

I'd heard all the singles before the albums release - didn't think much to those.

But to answer your question no, I rated it after hearing it. After listening to the whole thing, it's exactly what I expected.
05.12.2016 - 10:42
Pimpelmee
Amazing Mapman
Written by Sword_Chant on 04.12.2016 at 20:24

Written by Pimpelmee on 04.12.2016 at 15:44

I'd heard all the singles before the albums release - didn't think much to those.

But to answer your question no, I rated it after hearing it. After listening to the whole thing, it's exactly what I expected.

OK, fair enough.

Hits total: 17247 | This month: 40