Metal Storm logo
Vocaloid/UTAU/etc discussion

20.11.2016 - 21:54
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I opened a topic to discuss vocaloid/UTAU/engloid and those similar vocal synthesizer things...

So anyone happens to get a hand on those vocal synthesizers yet?
Basically UTAU is a free version of vocaloid, but because it's free I take it it's more limited than vocaloid (?) Don't really know... Just guessing
I guess the point I'm trying to reach here is:

Q: Is it worthy to buy Vocaloid rather than use the free UTAU?

I have UTAU installed on my PC but everything seems so slow when it should be all fast, it takes forever to write a small piece of vocal, I don't know if I'm not managing the software properly or what... The annoying limitations of the program include: There is only one track, if I want to do dual vocals I have to actually make two different files; it is SO annoying to handle the notes, the user cannot seem to be able to add/remove them on the timeline as you please, instead the less you try to make repairs the less headache you'll have; the whole right clicking to change envelope pitch also takes a lot of time, there should be some kind of shortcut to that; you need to type the lyrics in japanese, there is no romaji equivalent detector, which would be A LOT useful... And perhaps the worse of all is: You have to actually render to be able to hear the whole thing!! There's no preview, why the hell is there a piano roll on the left if you can't hear the freaking sample when you click there?

So I never used vocaloid and if anyone here has used it, I'd like to ask: Does it have all those UTAU issues covered? I know at least the piano roll actually plays a preview, but not sure about all the other stuff. Basically I would be willing to buy the software if it made the things a lot easier, I guess I need to think this all through because.. damn, that is one expensive software just for writing vocal pieces of songs on your computer

So... Anyone who already used this stuff can answer if Vocaloid is worth it?
Or you guys can discuss anything vocaloid/UTAU related stuff which not necessarily has anything to do with this question... Your call =p
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei