07. Revelatio
08. ἡσυχασμός
09. Ex Tenebrae Lucis
10. Métanoïa

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
N/A
A new Blut Aus Nord album inevitably raises anticipation high among black metal fans. Why is this, exactly?

Read more ››
published 21.10.2017 | Comments (29)

Found in 14 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 377 users
19.08.2017 - 20:23
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Me-fucking-ow.
19.08.2017 - 20:59
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Fucking BRING IT ON
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
19.08.2017 - 21:41
VIG
Account deleted
So excited for this! I have a feeling they will return to the sound they had in the early to mid 2000s
20.08.2017 - 16:31
Paz
Elite
The title means "God Of My Salvation". I'm super excited!
20.08.2017 - 18:08
IBlackened
Deus Salutis Meow
----
Their old stuff is better.
20.08.2017 - 20:55
3rdWorld
China was a neat
^Now that's a title.
11.09.2017 - 16:48
Vombatus
Potorro
http://www.nocleansinging.com/2017/09/09/selling-out-or-how-to-make-fans-and-keep-your-integrity/

...is a return to the oppressive, industrialised soundscapes of The Work Which Transforms God and Mort...

PS: the article as a whole is a good read too.
12.09.2017 - 02:32
Rating: 9
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Vombatus on 11.09.2017 at 16:48

...is a return to the oppressive, industrialised soundscapes of The Work Which Transforms God and Mort...

I just changed my pants, goddammit!
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
14.09.2017 - 23:41
VIG
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 12.09.2017 at 02:32

Written by Vombatus on 11.09.2017 at 16:48

I just changed my pants, goddammit!

Lol, me too.
27.09.2017 - 18:16
Vombatus
Potorro
27.09.2017 - 20:21
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Paz on 20.08.2017 at 16:31

The title means "God Of My Salvation".

Seems like they're speaking directly to the thoughts of their fanbase, Blut Aus Nord is the god of my salvation, alright!
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.10.2017 - 00:04
Paz
Elite
Listening now.. So far, so good.
04.10.2017 - 07:14
The Galactician
Written by an alien at the edge of the universe; performed within the bowels of hell.

This album is awesome.
04.10.2017 - 14:52
mz
So is this leaked or what?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
04.10.2017 - 15:22
Paz
Elite
Written by mz on 04.10.2017 at 14:52

Yes. Isn't it obvious?
04.10.2017 - 16:29
mz
Written by Paz on 04.10.2017 at 15:22

Written by mz on 04.10.2017 at 14:52

Yes. Isn't it obvious?

ok
can you please send me the link. that would be awesome !
----
04.10.2017 - 16:47
mz
Nevermind. got it
----
05.10.2017 - 14:46
mz
I'm loving this. It is the best thing the band had made since Liber II, and outdoes every album in the triology. I love slight death metal shadow that gives the album a distinctive sound in BaN's discography. I also dont remember they incorporate guitar solor here and there in their more dissonant and industrial sounding albums.
I would love if they explore something slower and more doomy? also, abstract sound in the vein of MoRT would be amazing.
----
05.10.2017 - 16:36
Rating: 8
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So this is pretty good
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
06.10.2017 - 17:23
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by mz on 05.10.2017 at 14:46

I'm loving this. It is the best thing the band had made since Liber II, and outdoes every album in the triology. I love slight death metal shadow that gives the album a distinctive sound in BaN's discography. I also dont remember they incorporate guitar solor here and there in their more dissonant and industrial sounding albums.
I would love if they explore something slower and more doomy? also, abstract sound in the vein of MoRT would be amazing.

I didn't hear much death metal in it, but to be honest moments of this album did strike me as "slower and more doomy," particularly the second and the sixth track especially. Once again, with this album Blut Aus Nord manage to allude to previous ones in their discog while still doing something entirely new. I mostly hear elements of Liber and some of the other EPs they did post - 777 trilogy but it also feels a lot heavier on the BM presence and more melodious at some points as well
----

~ II. VII
08.10.2017 - 21:14
VIG
Account deleted
I'm waiting until it's officially released on Bandcamp. Or maybe I won't make it through the next few weeks and have to illegally download the leak..

I never listen to something illegally before it comes out, but I do after it's out, and if I like it enough I buy it, whether it be digital or physical.
09.10.2017 - 08:17
Paz
Elite
Written by Guest on 08.10.2017 at 21:14

I never listen to something illegally before it comes out, but I do after it's out

What does it matter?
09.10.2017 - 14:59
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 09.10.2017 at 08:17

What does it matter?

I don't know, it never feels right to me personally. When it's released to the public it only makes sense for someone to download it illegally, but for it to leak before the day it's supposed to be released officially, it just doesn't feel right to me.

Does that make sense?
09.10.2017 - 20:24
Polaria
Written by Guest on 09.10.2017 at 14:59

Written by Paz on 09.10.2017 at 08:17

What does it matter?

I don't know, it never feels right to me personally. When it's released to the public it only makes sense for someone to download it illegally, but for it to leak before the day it's supposed to be released officially, it just doesn't feel right to me.

Does that make sense?

I agree with you because I think it disrespects the band about their choice of release date. The consequences of leaking an album are not in the same league as the consequences of downloading an album illegally after its release (does the latter even make sense these days?).
Basically the "leaker" robs the artist of the "new release" experience.
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
09.10.2017 - 21:23
Paz
Elite
Dunno.. I, for one, am listening to the leaked versions and if something blow me away then I'm pre-ordering it. Sometimes, the limited editions are already sold out during the pre-orders. Batushka's woodbox CD is a perfect example here.
25.10.2017 - 01:30
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I'm gonna post this here for my own reference (and for others, too) so that way I can look this up again if I need to, haha. Posted this in the "Blut Aus Nord reveals new album details" thread a while back, which I'm sure not everyone has seen who might be interested in knowing this bit.

Again, some stuff might be a bit off, but this is the best I could do.

Quote:
Just did a little bit of research (I don't know Greek, and very little Latin, so take what I say with a grain of salt) but here's what I got for the titles, along with a bit of explanation for some of them.

1. demiourgos
That is, demiurge. The literal Greek translation apparently means "public worker" (according to the etymological origins, anyway) and usually refers to some sort of deity, but of course this is likely referring to THE Demiurge. For an easy definition, Google defines it as
"a being responsible for the creation of the universe, in particular.
(in Platonic philosophy) the Maker or Creator of the world.
(in Gnosticism and other theological systems) a heavenly being, subordinate to the Supreme Being, that is considered to be the controller of the material world and antagonistic to all that is purely spiritual."
Interestingly, though, it looks like the proper noun would be written as Δημιουργός, not δημιουργός. It's possible that he is referring to "one who works" (perhaps being the self) OR he's suggesting that the Demiurge is not deserving of a proper noun, haha.

2. Dance of the Maccabees
The French "Danse Macabre" (meaning "Dance of Death") is thought to originate from the Dance of the Maccabees. Wikipedia says "In 2nd Maccabees, the grim martyrdom of a mother and her seven sons is described, and was a well-known medieval subject. It is possible that the Maccabean Martyrs were commemorated in some early French plays or that people just associated the book's vivid descriptions of the martyrdom with the interaction between Death and its prey."
Also interesting: the Maccabees were Jewish rebel warriors that took control of Judea after Antiochus issued decrees forbidding the practice of their religion. They refused to worship the Greek gods, destroyed idols and altars, and basically terrorized the place. "Maccabees" is taken from the Hebrew word for Hammer. Pretty black metal, imo

3. Impious
Impius, like impious, basically means not showing respect or reverence, especially for a god. Can also be translated to: "wicked; disloyal; undutiful; godless; unpatriotic; damned; accursed..."

4. Gnosis
This means "Knowledge", but of course this probably refers to occult Gnosis, or Gnostic theology (in which, as stated above, the Demiurge is an important figure!)

5. Apostasy
Defined as "the abandonment or renunciation of a religious or political belief", it can also be translated to "distance; defection; separation; casting off..."

6. Abyss

7. Revelation

8. Hesychasm
This one is interesting, as even though I am familiar with the gospel concept of praying privately, I've never heard this theological term. Hesychasm is apparently "...a mystical tradition of contemplative prayer in the Eastern Orthodox Church. Based on Christ's injunction in the Gospel of Matthew that "when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray", hesychasm in tradition has been the process of retiring inward by ceasing to register the senses, in order to achieve an experiential knowledge of God."
The word translated means "Silence; to keep stillness".
Wikipedia says: "According to some of the adepts of the Jewish Merkabah mystical tradition, if one wished to "descend to the Merkabah" one had to adopt the prayer posture taken by the Prophet Elijah in I Kings 18:42, namely to pray with one's head between one's knees. This bodily position and the practice of rhythmically breathing while invoking a divine name seems to be common to both Jewish Merkabah mysticism and Christian Hesychasm."

9. Out of Darkness, Light
I'm familiar with these Latin words, so I believe this is what this means... but I'm not so good with grammar, so it could also mean "Out of Darkness, into Light" or "Out of the Darkness of Light", or even "Out of the Shining Darkness" or something along those lines (anyone who is good with Latin please help, Google translate doesn't improve my understanding on anything lol)

10. Metanoia
"a transformative change of heart; especially: a spiritual conversion". Coming from meta meaning "after" or "beyond" and nous meaning "thought" or "mind'. Interestingly enough, the concept of the Nous is an important philosophical concept referring to the intellect, and is also an important occult concept in Hermeticism, so it might not only mean "transformation" but could also have something to do with going beyond intellect/reason--in other words, the concept that Aleister Crowley touched upon when he mentioned "The Destruction of Reason by Illumination" (which you might recognize as a BAN album title).

Anyway, that's what I got. If anyone wants to clarify or fix any of my mistakes, feel free. Also, sorry for the wall of text, lol
----
27.10.2017 - 17:31
Desha
delicious dish
So yeah it's pretty good. Sound-wise it might be my favourite BaN of the last few years right now. I have a feeling however that it will not prove to be as memorable as, say the 777 trilogy, The Work or even MoRT.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
28.10.2017 - 00:44
InnerSelf
proofread free
It was clear to me after the first couple of listens that this is a huge release but it kept getting better with every spin, revealing the details of the absolutely remarkable work done by Vindsval here.
The incorporation of the cavernous Death Metal riffing combined with proper Doom Metal moments, with the return of the drum machine and the top notch production.
One of the musical highlights of the year and a contender for the top spot of my end of year list.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
28.10.2017 - 15:23
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
This just keeps getting better the more and more I listen. REALLY solid work, it feels as though they took basically everything they had been playing around with on the past few EPs (split with PHOBOS, Aevangelist, etc) and kinda threw it into a blender with some MoRT-y and TWWTG-ish techniques. The result is pretty impressive.

I also must disagree with people saying that it's good but that it doesn't really stick to you, This is totally memorable, I don't know about you guys but some of the riffs on Chorea Macchabeorum and Ex Tenebrae Lucis especially have been getting stuck in my head over the past few days.
----

~ II. VII
29.10.2017 - 12:50
Rating: 8
AtrumHiberna
It grows on you
----
This is my worship, this is my path...

Hits total: 8229 | This month: 39