Metal Storm logo
2017 Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting

The 2017 Edition of the Metal Storm Awards are now open and ready for voting. You can do so here. Of course, in the time I took in between launching the awards and typing up this message and linking it up, half of you have already shot your respective voting wads.

Get to it, tell us what we did right, what we missed.

And be sure to check everything out.
Posted: 01.02.2018 by BitterCOld

Comments page 3 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 136   Visited by: 754 users
03.02.2018 - 10:51
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Why's it so hard for people to not write in something when it's already been nominated in another genre? That really annoys me. I know it's petty, but it just does for some reason.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.02.2018 - 13:47
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by BitterCOld on 02.02.2018 at 16:52

I think at this point I'll start up a "where do I write in" thread so we can put it together all nice and neat.

as well as provide some ground rules, such as:

When writing an album in, please use the band name and album title as they appear in the MS database. Copy paste it.

MC Vice was asking about bad write in's, we've got Mastodon in multiple categories with the freaking album name wrong in multiple categories now.

Since this is a very common recurring problem, couldn't it be fixed on the next awards with an algorithm? Like make it so if someone tries to write in a vote for a band already existing or in other category then display an error: "band is already nominated" or something and then don't count the vote
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
03.02.2018 - 16:55
Zap
03.02.2018 - 17:14
Polaria
Written by M C Vice on 03.02.2018 at 10:51

Why's it so hard for people to not write in something when it's already been nominated in another genre? That really annoys me. I know it's petty, but it just does for some reason.

Because some albums are really overlapping genres. I am a bit puzzled that SepticFlesh fell into the Symphonic category alongside the Dark Element for example. Yes I know that Codex Omega is symphonic but still is it really the "main" genre of that album? I just shrugged and simply vote for it in the Symphonic category but I can understand that people may disagree with the classification (and metalheads tending to be contrarians, there you go).
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
03.02.2018 - 17:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Karlabos on 03.02.2018 at 13:47

Since this is a very common recurring problem, couldn't it be fixed on the next awards with an algorithm? Like make it so if someone tries to write in a vote for a band already existing or in other category then display an error: "band is already nominated" or something and then don't count the vote

Not sure who'd have the chops, and people writing-in Wolves in the Throne Room in Black when nominated in Meloblack or whatever is far less an issue than peoples writing in Wolfs in the Throen Room in 3 generes for Too Huntars. The myriad of misspellings of band and album are the bigger "issue", though just really are a source of laughter.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.02.2018 - 02:01
While I'll admit that 2017 was a reasonably competitive year for prog, Threshold's Legends of the Shires not being nominated seems like a significant oversight. Definitely deserves more attention considering the album's ambitious scope and the quality and consistency of songwriting.
04.02.2018 - 02:24
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Boris_Pembroke on 04.02.2018 at 02:01

While I'll admit that 2017 was a reasonably competitive year for prog, Threshold's Legends of the Shires not being nominated seems like a significant oversight. Definitely deserves more attention considering the album's ambitious scope and the quality and consistency of songwriting.

I bet the second disc killed it in the race for nomination. With the exception of Lost In Translation it's pretty bland in comparison to what most nominated bands do.
04.02.2018 - 06:53
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Written by M C Vice on 03.02.2018 at 10:51

Agreed. Although, some albums are just grouped weirdly... like Carach Angren being in symphonic metal or Cradle of Filth being in gothic metal (both belong in melodic black metal).
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
04.02.2018 - 08:15
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by BitterCOld on 03.02.2018 at 17:27

The myriad of misspellings of band and album are the bigger "issue", though just really are a source of laughter.

I remember the last Metallica album getting 5 or so different variants in the one category.
----
04.02.2018 - 08:30
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I see 'who cares' has been voted for in both doom catagories. Obviously they're hard to define.
----
04.02.2018 - 09:05
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Pyramaze not getting into power metal is pretty inexcusable. Especially when you look at the field of generic, cookie-cutter nominations in there.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
04.02.2018 - 15:53
nikarg
Staff
Big thank you to the person who wrote in Wampyrinacht - We Will Be Watching - Les Cultes De Satan Et Les Mystères De La Mort in the meloblack category. I missed it completely and it is indeed a great album.
04.02.2018 - 16:16
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Risto on 04.02.2018 at 02:24

I bet the second disc killed it in the race for nomination. With the exception of Lost In Translation it's pretty bland in comparison to what most nominated bands do.

Luckily for us (and sadly for bands who miss out) prog just keeps getting better and better. It's very hard trying to pick. If it were up to me we'd have like 15 nominees in the prog cat
----
7.0 means the album is good
04.02.2018 - 16:33
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Milena on 04.02.2018 at 16:16

Luckily for us (and sadly for bands who miss out) prog just keeps getting better and better. It's very hard trying to pick. If it were up to me we'd have like 15 nominees in the prog cat

I'm looking forward to that category as I'm wading through, there's stuff that's taken me a bit too long to check out. As a related anecdote, I found and liked an album in the alternative category that I think is too proggy and "extreme" to be in there (Adimiron)
04.02.2018 - 16:56
Panterica
Ok people, how do you go about voting in this thing? There are just too many options to listen to. Any tips?
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
04.02.2018 - 20:11
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Panterica on 04.02.2018 at 16:56

Ok people, how do you go about voting in this thing? There are just too many options to listen to. Any tips?
Pick some categories of genres you like the most. Listen to every nominee in that category. Vote. Pick another category. And so on.

If you're in doubt which of the nominees to vote for, try voting for the most underrated one, instead of the one that will sweep the most votes anyway because it's popular.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.02.2018 - 06:49
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by RaduP on 04.02.2018 at 20:11

Pick some categories of genres you like the most. Listen to every nominee in that category. Vote. Pick another category. And so on.

If you're in doubt which of the nominees to vote for, try voting for the most underrated one,

Nah, I'd still say "take your time out and listen to nominations". May be the one you're underrating isn't underrated at all? You never know.

It happened a lot to me that the ones I thought wasn't worth to vote for comes out to be the one I ended up voting for( and guess what? they won the cat as well).

Still 26 days left and it's for more than sufficient time to listen all the nominations.
05.02.2018 - 07:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Who fucking cares if your vote wins the category?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.02.2018 - 10:27
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

Or vote for something not nominated if you think it's better than the nominees.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.02.2018 at 07:51

Millennials desperate for validation?
----
05.02.2018 - 12:12
If a band is categorized in two genre like "Gothic industrial metal" in metalstorm website, how can I put them in vote-in? in "Gothic" or "Industrial" category?
05.02.2018 - 12:49
Panterica
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.02.2018 at 07:51

It's not that important, but it's cool to spread good music. If it helps the band to sell more tickets/merch/albums, it's even better.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
05.02.2018 - 13:10
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by VforIAmAVagina on 05.02.2018 at 12:12

If a band is categorized in two genre like "Gothic industrial metal" in metalstorm website, how can I put them in vote-in? in "Gothic" or "Industrial" category?

they opened a thread for asking the correct category in the general forum. i would include a link but i'm on my phone..
edit: here
----
- Reimu Hakurei
05.02.2018 - 14:16
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Milena on 04.02.2018 at 16:16

Written by Risto on 04.02.2018 at 02:24

Yes, prog was exceptionally good this year and many good albums didn't make it, sadly. But believe me, they were considered.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.02.2018 - 19:53
NastyHero
I just can't fathom why you didn't include Diablo Swing Orchestra in avant-garde while you had to fill the category with stuff like Lethe (which isn't even metal, despite Anna Murphy's name written on it, and has only 7.3 with 12 votes). How is it better suitable than one of the most known avant-garde metal bands, I have no idea.
I mean yeah, I'm butthurt, as you can see. And I know there is always something like write-in votes but come on, was there at least one time when band not included by staff has won? It just feels weird that you have chosen to leave this album out.

But still, I've heard more or less half of the nominees from each category and I plan to have heard them all by the time voting is done, wish me luck.

Edit: also, Bent Knee in the same category? It was good but it's... just a normal art / progressive rock album. DSO might have gone for the more simplified approach than in their previous albums but in my opinion it's still a huge oversight.
05.02.2018 - 20:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by NastyHero on 05.02.2018 at 19:53

I just can't fathom why you didn't include Diablo Swing Orchestra in avant-garde while you had to fill the category with stuff like Lethe (which isn't even metal, despite Anna Murphy's name written on it, and has only 7.3 with 12 votes). How is it better suitable than one of the most known avant-garde metal bands, I have no idea.

The staff nominates albums they (as a set) find the most interesting, and not based on number of votes or popularity.

In fact if it was all about popularity the awards would serve no purpose, as it would have the same effect of going to the top 100 an filtering by the genre...
----
- Reimu Hakurei
05.02.2018 - 21:10
Polaria
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 04.02.2018 at 06:53

Although, some albums are just grouped weirdly... like Carach Angren being in symphonic metal or Cradle of Filth being in gothic metal (both belong in melodic black metal).

You're beating the bare bones of a dead horse with CoF. Discussions about where they stand have been going on for more than 20 years now. It's not really gothic, it's not really black metal, it's... I don't know... extreme horror heavy metal?
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
05.02.2018 - 21:25
NastyHero
Written by Karlabos on 05.02.2018 at 20:37

In fact if it was all about popularity the awards would serve no purpose, as it would have the same effect of going to the top 100 an filtering by the genre...

You have a point here. Perhaps I am biased as Pacifisticuffs is (ex aequo with Ulver) my #1 in 2017.
But that doesn't change the fact that I fail to see how Bent Knee is metal whatsoever.
Same with Lunatic Soul in alternative 'metal' album. Yet I will probably still vote for them (or maybe for Miss Wolfe?) as it's a great album, it just isn't metal.

And let's face it, the results will still be dictated by popularity, it's just most people won't care to vote for a write-in band.

Also - a suggestion. I actually like descriptions provided by staff for their nominees. Could you make them still available to read after the voting is finished? Descriptions for albums from previous years are nowhere to be found (and if I'm looking in the wrong place, I'd be grateful if someone showed me the way), which is a shame.
05.02.2018 - 23:33
Maxder
Written by nikarg on 02.02.2018 at 00:55

As it has been said a zillion times before, the MSAs are about discovering new music and not about big bands winning their respective categories.

About discovering new bands, there are often a lot of good suggestions in the write-in category, especially the new bands (because big bands will be there regardless of the quality of their album, while a small band vote means the voter really likes the album), but the problem is that after the end of February, these bands get (generally) less than 10 votes and get erased from the final list. I think it would be nice to have them somewhere.
06.02.2018 - 01:38
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by NastyHero on 05.02.2018 at 21:25

Written by Karlabos on 05.02.2018 at 20:37

You have a point here. Perhaps I am biased as Pacifisticuffs is (ex aequo with Ulver) my #1 in 2017.
But that doesn't change the fact that I fail to see how Bent Knee is metal whatsoever.
Same with Lunatic Soul in alternative 'metal' album. Yet I will probably still vote for them (or maybe for Miss Wolfe?) as it's a great album, it just isn't metal.

And let's face it, the results will still be dictated by popularity, it's just most people won't care to vote for a write-in band.

Also - a suggestion. I actually like descriptions provided by staff for their nominees. Could you make them still available to read after the voting is finished? Descriptions for albums from previous years are nowhere to be found (and if I'm looking in the wrong place, I'd be grateful if someone showed me the way), which is a shame.

Yeah the results will definitely be dictated by popularity as it always have. It's easy to know which band will win in each genre: Just check which one has the most followers. And then metalheads dare say they aren't into pop stuff

It is a bit hidden but there is a way to check the other years awards: On those white words on the upper side of the screen, click on Misc, then select MS awards. You can check all the years there. If you do it know it seems like it redirects to a sort of a page of the 17 awards, but it will be there even after the awards end

EDIT: Oh nevermind, the descriptions, as you said, aren't there, yep. Only the nominees
----
- Reimu Hakurei
06.02.2018 - 10:03
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by NastyHero on 05.02.2018 at 19:53

And I know there is always something like write-in votes but come on, was there at least one time when band not included by staff has won?

Each year I'm always hoping one does get up. Maybe the staff should deliberately ignore someone like Enslaved just to see if it can happen.
----

Hits total: 8429 | This month: 20