Metal Storm logo
Anacrusis

25.05.2006 - 03:50
Horlequism
Account deleted
Anacrusis was a lost classic in the progressive thrash metal genre...their most memorable albums are Manic Impressions and Screams and Whispers...their first two albums, Suffering Hour and Reason, are pretty sloppy thrash releases...DRUMMER CHAD SMITH IS NOT CHAD SMITH FROM THE RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS...just thought I'd say that...

Anyway, there are some Anacrusis fans on MS, I know...where are you?
25.05.2006 - 04:10
mvikred
pretty technical thrash outfit ... love their album .. manic impressions

mvikred
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
25.05.2006 - 11:44
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"DRUMMER CHAD SMITH IS NOT CHAD SMITH FROM THE RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS...just thought I'd say that..."

Haha at the discussion in the last Anacrusis thread about this
03.06.2006 - 14:56
Markku
Account deleted
Anacrusis

Download their albums their from official site http://apogee.whack.org/~ken/index.html

I like all of their albums, they have been great influence to my musical taste.
04.06.2006 - 00:04
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Just downloaded some tracks thx to the link provided by Markku. I've listened to the beginning of Manic Impressions and I think it's great thrash, really technical. I need more material from this band!!
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
04.06.2006 - 00:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 25.05.2006 at 03:50

Anacrusis was a lost classic in the progressive thrash metal genre...their most memorable albums are Manic Impressions and Screams and Whispers...their first two albums, Suffering Hour and Reason, are pretty sloppy thrash releases...DRUMMER CHAD SMITH IS NOT CHAD SMITH FROM THE RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS...just thought I'd say that...

I can't find any definitive proof that it isn't the same guy because when you search for Chad Smith and Anacrusis and Red Hot Chili Peppers on the net most hits say that he IS the same guy, which is very well possible because when he left Anacrusis he popped up in the chili peppers. and looking at pictures of the guys they look extremely a lot alike. So IMO it still is the same person. f you happen to have a definitive link that says he isn't please post it (no WIKIPEDIA is not definitive)

EDIT: sorry he went to Chili Peppers in 11989 so before recording with Anacrusis, it seems like Anacrusis was just a side project for him. http://www.angelfire.com/mac/keepitlive/drummers/Chadsmith/chadsmith.htm
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.06.2006 - 00:29
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
To make matters even more complicated, G/Z/R also have a drummer called Chad Smith, and according to wiki, he is the one who used to be in Anacrusis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Smith_%28G/Z/R%29

Whether this is actually true, I dont know
04.06.2006 - 00:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@Jups I'll have to look at the G/Z/R booklet to see if it is the same guy but it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL. The link I provided says chad smith played on a shitload of albums by lots of different bands.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.06.2006 - 02:20
Markku
Account deleted
I also investigated that. I read a Chad Smith bio in a red Hot Chilli Peppers fan forum, it sayed that Cahd Smith grew up in St. Paul(not St. Louis were Anacrusis was located). So there's alot of contradictory information out there, who the hell knows who's who.
04.06.2006 - 05:08
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"To make matters even more complicated, G/Z/R also have a drummer called Chad Smith, and according to wiki, he is the one who used to be in Anacrusis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Smith_%28G/Z/R%29

Whether this is actually true, I dont know "

Says its the same guy on metal-archives.
06.06.2006 - 03:43
Southern Wind
Account deleted
"Suffering Hour" is a very good album, the only by them I truly like... it has a lot of Melodic changes, very original and good vocals... very well played and blissful... well, I guess that's what I have to say about Anacrusis.
08.06.2006 - 16:45
Markku
Account deleted
What do you guys think of songs like Apocalypse, Vulture's Prey, Pendulum(although this one was changed a bit a bit and released as Killing My Mind and other songs which were on the Annihilation Complete demo but didn't make it to a decent album? Some of those songs are really good imo.
08.06.2006 - 18:38
Daru Jericho
I've only got the album Suffering Hour but I think it's great. Something refreshing about this thrash band. They are a lot better than the other more popular thrash bands. Great vocals and good instrumentation. I certainly must get my hands on some more of their albums. .
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

09.06.2006 - 00:37
Markku
Account deleted
@ Daru Jericho

download it from the site!!!!!!!
21.06.2006 - 10:07
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
What do you guys think is the band most like Anacrusis?
22.06.2006 - 01:26
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Ba'al Peor: I could recommend Meshuggah, Atheist, Coroner, Watchtower, Mekong Delta, Sisthema...
22.06.2006 - 08:27
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Atheist and Meshuggah arent what i would consider to be like Anacrusis sound wise, but ill check those others out.
22.06.2006 - 12:10
Markku
Account deleted
I can't actually think of any bands similar to Anacrusis. But those mentioned have some common points with them.
23.06.2006 - 16:49
EvilOstrich
Account deleted
Anacrusis was arguably the most original thrash band that the United States has ever seen. They were a truly special band. Each album was different from the one that came before it, climaxing in the amazing Screams and Whispers. They were on Metal Blade records here in the U.S., but apparently the label didn't seem to do too much to help the band get the recognition that they deserved. They weren't and still aren't the most accessible band out there, but that should just raise their appeal even more to anyone who's looking for something truly original and truly groundbreaking.
16.07.2006 - 12:56
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Formed way back in the 80s by lead vocalist and guitarist Kenn Nardi, Anacrusis combined classical thrash metal with diverse progressive components, shifting time signatures, a strong melody sense and killer riffs. Focused on a combination of listenability and high grade technicality, their most popular album, "Manic Impressions" (1992), was far ahead of its time (with a spectacular cover version of New Model Army's "I love the world"). However, with metal in a temporary decline and long-time drummer Chad Smith leaving the band for his engagement with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the band was never able to gain commercial success it deserved. In spite of this, they remain a true underground tip for lovers of more complex, yet heavy metal."

I found this on the net but im not sure if its true. Further evidence linking Chad Smith to Anacrusis and Red Hot Chili Peppers.
18.07.2006 - 13:43
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Anacrusis are a pretty amazing thrash band, but that's as much as an understatement to calling Black Sabbath "influential".

Although thier first 2 albums are pretty crappy, thier last ones are thrash classics as far as the genre goes.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
22.07.2006 - 16:43
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Joey Jo Jo on 18.07.2006 at 13:43

Although thier first 2 albums are pretty crappy, thier last ones are thrash classics as far as the genre goes.

To me their two first albums are better than many of the known and praised thrash albums from the bands which are well known in the metal community.
If I'd call these albums crappy I would call the most of the genre crappy, which I don't.
28.07.2006 - 15:29
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
I find their first 2 albums just as good as their last ones. Manic Impressions is amazing.
29.07.2006 - 01:11
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Written by Guest on 22.07.2006 at 16:43

Written by Joey Jo Jo on 18.07.2006 at 13:43

To me their two first albums are better than many of the known and praised thrash albums from the bands which are well known in the metal community.
If I'd call these albums crappy I would call the most of the genre crappy, which I don't.

They're just not as good as their last 2, not even close really.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
30.07.2006 - 00:34
Pyro
Account deleted
OOoooh Anacrusis. An amazing thrash band, technical and progressive. What I find the most appealing about the band is Ken Nardi's voice. He makes some weird noises, which fit the band's music perfectly.
01.08.2006 - 14:42
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
His vocals are weird at times, but i love his screech type vocals, especially on Manic Impressions.

"They're just not as good as their last 2, not even close really."

Your opinion, bud.
03.09.2006 - 01:09
Markku
Account deleted
A video of "Sound The Alarm"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6KdAlS3cv0
03.09.2006 - 01:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 03.09.2006 at 01:09

A video of "Sound The Alarm"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6KdAlS3cv0

Thx, fucking awesome song, and this is only the second time I've seen this video. I saw it way back wheen it was released. I think it must have been on MTV Headbanger's Ball back then.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.10.2006 - 01:03
Markku
Account deleted
This is a tour diary written by John Emery. I got it from Evan Howell. You can also read it on the fourth issue of Remants OF Reason which is availabe as
a pdf file on the site http://www.remnantsofreason.com , the Anacrusis bio is there also, I think it was published there before the Anacrusis site was created.

After the release of Manic in the summer of 1991 Kevin managed to
squeeze us in on the tail end of the Rust in Peace tour with Megadeth.
By now Chad was in the band and we did eight shows with Mega-Dave
and crew. Arriving in Knoxville, TN, as Anacrusis and Chad's brother
Matt as roadie and a sound man, we entered the venue through the
back. Megadeth's stage manager asked us "Where's your crew?", mean-
ing road crew. We answered, "You're lookin' at it..." He was astounded.
Next was Birmingham, AL (huge audience for us as well as well as New
Orleans, LA). The doors were opened during our line check which was
frustrating. Mr. Mustaine henceforth alloted us a half hour sound check
each night. It was so cool. We were used to plugging in, tuned or not,
and bashing out 40 minutes of slop or not, all depending on the day,
the audience and our moods. After that we kicked proverbial booty
in Memphis, TN (where someone blew up a condom with which we
play soccer with on stage), our hometown, Tulsa, OK, Wichita, KS and
Oklahoma City, OK. It was really awesome to play theaters instead of
clubs for a change, although the monitor mixes were non-existent, so
it was really dead sounding on-stage. Kenn lost one of his shoes at a
gas station on the road and we walked back down the on-ramp to get
it because he had only brought one pair on the tour. During this time
Manic was to be released with WB distribution so we made it a point to
check every record store we came across to see if it was readily avail-
able. Sometimes.
We had a couple of headlining shows, one at Blondie's in Detroit, and
another at The Thirsty Whale in Chicago with Cyclone Temple. The
opening act at Blondie's left the stage to party, so we had to push their
gear oļ¬€ to the side so we could play our set to half the people that
were there for them. Hence, they were outside partying with them.
The house sound guy in Chicago kept coming to the side of the stage
to signal that we only had so much time left to play. I told him to "eat
me", and that we had a contract. He threatened our sound man to pull
the plug. Good show anyway.
We then landed eight weeks with Overkill and the Galactic Cowboys
that spanned the country. "Blitz" called it the Anagalactikill Tour in an
interview. The marquees at almost every venue had us billed as the
second act, and this was what we understood the package to be. But
the Cowboys were a Geļ¬€en band, so we got bumped and played 30
minutes or less every night. The crowd response was less enthusiastic
than had been on previous tours, even though we were much tighter
and had more progressive songs to showcase. It seemed like we were
playing to fellow musicians at times until we got out west. This was
also the ļ¬�rst tour that didn't cram us all into a minivan. We had rented
an RV which allowed us a certain amount of comfort and spread us
out a little more to lessen friction. In theory this sounds good, but in
practice it wasn't. Halfway through the Sierras the engine on the RV
ceased to be. Literally in the middle of nowhere. I don't even want to
repeat the cost of towing a full-sized RV with a trailer full of equipment
as well. We were brought another RV which had several mechani-
cal problems and only lasted until Houston, TX. The third one was
abused by our second driver whom we sent home on a bus from D.C.
to L.A. because we could no longer aļ¬€ord to pay him. Poor guy. We
left Boston for home and didn't stop until Ilinois where the electrical
system fried, forcing us to hard-wire the headlights to the battery. Only
problem was that we wore the battery out and the lights were so dim
that a state trooper saw us and we were forbidden to drive any further.
Talk about frustrating. So we sat at a truck stop and argued until the
sun came up while our wives and girlfriends waited a couple hundred
miles away.
02.10.2006 - 02:09
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
right on, I didn't know that all their stuff can be downloaded. I'll have to do that soon.