Metal Storm logo
In Flames - Unveil New Studio Album, Debut Two New Songs

Swedish metallers In Flames have announced big news today. After teasing previously, the group now reveals their thirteenth studio album, titled I, The Mask, that will be released on March 1st, 2019 via Nuclear Blast (worldwide, excluding North America) and Eleven Seven Music (North America). The album artwork was created by artist Blake Armstrong and depicts a unique interpretation of the band's mascot, The Jesterhead. In Flames also debuted not one but two new songs, so check them out now!

The story of the cover will be revealed via the full album artwork on March 1st, which coincides with each song on the album.

Tracklist:

01. Voices
02. I, The Mask
03. Call My Name
04. I Am Above
05. Follow Me
06. (This is Our) House
07. We Will Remember
08. In This Life
09. Burn
10. Deep Inside
11. All The Pain
12. Stay With Me

Pre-orders for the album will begin January 11th offering "I Am Above" and "(This Is Our) House" as instant downloads. The 12-track album reunites them with Grammy-nominated producer Howard Benson (My Chemical Romance, Motörhead) who also produced 2016's Battles. Additionally, the album was mixed by Grammy award winner Chris Lord-Alge (Cheap Trick, Linkin Park) and mastered by Grammy mastering engeneer, Ted Jensen (Pantera, Eagles, Guns N' Roses).

"This album is really a special one to us. Since our last record, Battles, we've established our own annual festival in Sweden and have been touring non-stop worldwide, creating an even stronger bond with our fans. You could say it was a big part of our inspiration for this album. It's been such a long journey that just keeps going and growing; We feel extremely thankful for that, and for the support that makes it possible. We dedicate our 13th album, I, The Mask to our fans who allow us to keep making music and playing it every night. In Jesterheads We Trust." - Anders Fridén from In Flames.

A poignant video for "I Am Above" has also been revealed, which features famous Swedish actor Martin Wallström (Mr. Robot). The video takes place in a pitch black room with Martin who eerily lip syncs the metal ballad with expressive facial gestures that capture the song's emotion. Meanwhile, the lyric video for track '(This Is Our) House' features unseen footage from the band's first annual Swedish festival, Borgholm Brinner (Borgholm Is Burning).

"I was very intrigued by doing something I've never done before and honored getting the question from In Flames. Also trying to portray a lively song in a dark room, sitting in front of a camera was challenging, but I felt strongly for the song and the lyrics, so that was a comfort." - Martin Wallström from Mr. Robot.

Additionally, In Flames announced their UK plus Europe headline tour that kicks off on April 3rd in Glasgow concluding on April 18 in Zurich. Special guests to be announced soon.

Shows:

03.04. UK Glasgow - SWG3
04.04. UK Manchester - O2 Ritz
05.04. UK London - The Roundhouse
06.04. UK Nottingham - Rock City
07.04. UK Bristol - SWX
09.04. UK Norwich - UEA
10.04. BEL Antwerp - Trix
12.04. FRA Nancy - L'Autre Canal
15.04. FRA Lyon - Le Transbordeur
16.04. FRA Toulouse - Le Bikini
17.04. FRA Nîmes - Paloma
18.04. SUI Zurich - Komplex 457

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: In Flames
Posted: 14.12.2018 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 34   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 307 users
14.12.2018 - 13:45
aeonnumb
Damn.... generic american core crap... after Jesper it was done..
14.12.2018 - 14:14
JoHn Doe
"This is our time"? Really?! 'cos you expired in 2000.

The second song is awful. Damn... a new low I dare say.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
14.12.2018 - 14:16
MyNameJeff
LOL enough is enough.
So they're a hipster/crappier version of As I lay Dying now?
14.12.2018 - 15:02
Stormm
Generic as fuck. But there are still people who are saying for five years, that this band is evolving. Hilarious.
14.12.2018 - 15:53
Sangre Sani
I wish they would stop evolving...
14.12.2018 - 16:16
iMorphball
The album cover is interesting. Seems to be some kind of artful take on the fact that they've become merely a midget of what they used to be.
14.12.2018 - 18:48
Lord Grim
Wow, it's that bad huh? I haven't even listened yet. I usually read the comments first for expectation purposes. Ha. Yikes. Okay, so very low I see is where I'll keep mind, roger that.
----
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary in life."
14.12.2018 - 19:01
Khold Baroness
Great cover art 👍👌
14.12.2018 - 19:13
metalbrat
Among the 3 above, album cover was the better one. 'This is our House's cannot be qualified even for high school band competition.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
14.12.2018 - 21:10
Aries Rising
In Flames - Masters in the art of beating a dead horse.
14.12.2018 - 21:13
WorpeX
Made of Metal
I Am Above is pretty good, stupid video though. The other one though is just.... yikes.
14.12.2018 - 21:28
IBlackened
Written by Stormm on 14.12.2018 at 15:02

Generic as fuck. But there are still people who are saying for five years, that this band is evolving. Hilarious.

If by "evolving" they mean getting softer, less challenging, more appealing to uncritical audiences, to the lowest common denominator, then I agree.
----
Their old stuff is better.
14.12.2018 - 22:06
Kuroboshi
Wow, that's a lot of hate! I thought it was pretty OK. A bit generic, sure. But enjoyable. I watched some live shows from them in 2018, and Anders' growling was really good again, and I'm happy to hear it sounds pretty good on record once again.
15.12.2018 - 00:39
Litvin
WTF is that?
It is not In Flames, it is In Crap.
15.12.2018 - 01:08
Vermoorden
Absolutely awful. The last decent album was Come Clarity. The soul of this band died out over a decade ago, I think its time to hang it up.
15.12.2018 - 11:53
Written by Vermoorden on 15.12.2018 at 01:08

Absolutely awful. The last decent album was Come Clarity. The soul of this band died out over a decade ago, I think its time to hang it up.

I quite enjoyed Sounds of a Playground Fading. Sure, it has nothing to do with one of the greatest Gothenburg metal bands they once were, but it was far better than A Sense of Purpose and definitely better than anything they put out since. Some of the songs on SOAPF were quite catchy and overall I had a pretty good feeling about the album. This new stuff, not so much. I listened to both songs, just for old times' sake. Horrible, both of them.
15.12.2018 - 12:15
Typ
Looks like they keep the direction of the last two releases. Good for them, since they seem to be successful with it. Too bad i really don't like it.
I am above: mediocre and boring.
(This is Our) House: one of the worst in flames songs i know.
15.12.2018 - 13:20
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
You know, there are a couple of albums that I still enjoyed from their 2000s era. From the 2010s only "Sounds Of A Playground Fading" is worth mentioning, and listening to the 2 new songs I have a feeling it will stay that way...

"I Am above" is passable but really generic. On a good album it would be considered: filler.

And "(This is Our) House" comes over as a terrible attempt at making a "live anthem" type song. Dull uninspired and overall just a terrible song imo.
15.12.2018 - 19:42
s_t_s
"I am above" is far from being bad even though it's not outstanding either, at least it features some power in spite of the cheesy chorus. BUT "This is our house" is nothing but a pile of crap, really sad this second song didn't follow the first one. When I watch their "In Flames We Trust" DVD I really miss the band I used to love on stage. I even wonder why I keep following them here. What a waste of time
15.12.2018 - 22:55
EricAxel36
Absolute fucking garbage.

This is Our House is a complete joke. Sounds like a parody of what current In Flames sounds like, only it's real.
16.12.2018 - 16:25
This is Our House sounds like someone heard the intro of ILYAYD and wrote some shit down in 5 minutes.
16.12.2018 - 17:40
HyperDrifter
Written by kaskadian on 15.12.2018 at 19:45

It's astounding how much hate all Scandinavian bands get on this website once they've achieved some kind of success. If Colony was released on 01_3_19 it would receive just as much hate as this album.

Check the YouTube comments for this band you'll see it's not just this website.......
16.12.2018 - 19:45
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
In Flames were never good
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
16.12.2018 - 21:00
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by RaduP on 16.12.2018 at 19:45

Sweet. You were born in December of 1996, right?
The Jester Race was published 10 months prior your birth.
Sad but true: you probably just missed their early releases.
----
signatures = SPAM
16.12.2018 - 21:12
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Starvynth on 16.12.2018 at 21:00

Written by RaduP on 16.12.2018 at 19:45

Sweet. You were born in December of 1996, right?
The Jester Race was published 10 months prior your birth.
Sad but true: you probably just missed their early releases.

Those are pretty overrated too. But yeah, I guess they're better than their stuff in the last 5 years.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
16.12.2018 - 23:41
MauricioVeiga
The second song is painful... i miss 90's In Flames, even something like Soundtrack to Your Escape would be great!
18.12.2018 - 16:23
Tale
I miss Jesper again and again until I take look at Cyrha and OMG do I feel confused
22.12.2018 - 22:14
Archie 666
Wow, that 'I am above' video really makes you think..did I leave the stove on?
23.12.2018 - 17:04
Reaper_Redeemer
The choice of Martin Wallström in "I am above" was excellent. I actually liked this track because it reminded me of the "Come Clarity" era, that was not the best, but acceptable for my likes. And then... an 2010s In Flames song. No, it is the worst of this disastrous era for their name. I can't believe they keep going deeper and deeper in their cesspit...
23.12.2018 - 19:50
IBlackened
Written by Tale on 18.12.2018 at 16:23

I miss Jesper again and again until I take look at Cyrha and OMG do I feel confused

That was disappointing. I was expecting some Dimension Zero, got that shitty poppy crap.
----
Their old stuff is better.

Hits total: 4872 | This month: 8