Metal Storm logo
Embarrassing mistakes on stage

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 28.05.2007 - 03:52
After playing two shows at church this morning, two embarrassing things happened. This gave me the idea of this thread. Name your embarrassing moments on stage live.

1.) I dropped my pick in the middle of a song and just played with my finger.

2.) In the middle of prayer me and the band got up on stage, well my Les Paul has this switch on it and I turned the knobs on one side to make the switch like an on/off toggle. Well it turned out I forgot to toggle it off. I picked up my guitar and loud noises came throught the auditoruim right in the middle of prayer! It was so embarrassing, the bassist almost died laughing. I dont blame him it was funny as hell!
22.02.2009 - 22:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Frankenchrist on 22.02.2009 at 20:57

Written by Valentin B on 21.02.2009 at 23:05

Written by Frankenchrist on 28.01.2009 at 18:02

My strap was loose once, and i was in the middle of a solo, so i started going to the front of the stage, where the audience was, and the strap just gave up on me. the guitar fell off and hit some dude in the head.

so yeah, that kinda sucked. i mean, it ruined my solo.

wtf i buy only the cheapest straps known to man(my current one costed less than the equivalent of 5 bucks), and they never ever give out on me.. are you using a really heavy guitar like a Gibson Les Paul or something?

I was playing an Epiphone SG at the time, not a very heavy guitar. and i was using a "Planet Waves" strap. I think i payed like, 15 bucks for that thing, and it's pretty shitty. It looked tough but it always gives out.

LOLMAO i've got a Epiphone SG Gothic G400 with a Planet Waves strap too , the one that cost me like 5 $, bought it like 3 months ago, and the only thing i can complain about(though it's not really the strap's fault) is that it tends to lean to the headstock... oh and something else i've had 3 different guitar straps in 2 years and 8 months of playing the guitar and NOT ONCE have i had a strap give out on me(though i don't really abuse them like Janick Gers or Malmsteen do in concert if you've seen them) they all were/are really fucking cheap and sturdy, lol
23.02.2009 - 17:17
Frankenchrist
Written by Valentin B on 22.02.2009 at 22:07

Written by Frankenchrist on 22.02.2009 at 20:57

Written by Valentin B on 21.02.2009 at 23:05

Written by Frankenchrist on 28.01.2009 at 18:02

My strap was loose once, and i was in the middle of a solo, so i started going to the front of the stage, where the audience was, and the strap just gave up on me. the guitar fell off and hit some dude in the head.

so yeah, that kinda sucked. i mean, it ruined my solo.

wtf i buy only the cheapest straps known to man(my current one costed less than the equivalent of 5 bucks), and they never ever give out on me.. are you using a really heavy guitar like a Gibson Les Paul or something?

I was playing an Epiphone SG at the time, not a very heavy guitar. and i was using a "Planet Waves" strap. I think i payed like, 15 bucks for that thing, and it's pretty shitty. It looked tough but it always gives out.

LOLMAO i've got a Epiphone SG Gothic G400 with a Planet Waves strap too , the one that cost me like 5 $, bought it like 3 months ago, and the only thing i can complain about(though it's not really the strap's fault) is that it tends to lean to the headstock... oh and something else i've had 3 different guitar straps in 2 years and 8 months of playing the guitar and NOT ONCE have i had a strap give out on me(though i don't really abuse them like Janick Gers or Malmsteen do in concert if you've seen them) they all were/are really fucking cheap and sturdy, lol

Yeah, well, i just made a strap lock, and i play a Jackson RR3 now so, yeah. No more of that shit hahah
----
Blat Blat
02.12.2009 - 17:34
Angel Of Mercy
My band was halfway through a song and I fell off stage, after clambering up on a monitor that I had no idea that was angled. And I broke my wireless.
----
Your time will come.
12.05.2011 - 03:19
Llort
Nearly knocked our keyboardists' keyboard over at a gig a few months back, combine that with a lack of ear protection and you do not get the greatest set ever!
12.05.2011 - 07:30
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I've played a shit load of gigs, but i can't remember anything embarrassing that i've done onstage.
Oh i guess there would be one really early on when i started playing, but it wasn't really embarrassing. I was balked onstage and there were strobes and lights and i just spaced out on them, forgot to play most of the song. So i turned to the guitarist and asked if i was playing alright, he didn't know that i had just smoked. It was fun
There was this gig where my vocalist pulled the mic out of the mic stand and it hit him smack in the mouth and he started bleeding, the crowd went crazy though
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
12.05.2011 - 18:38
terrorist
My mistakes?Still to come..hahah
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
17.05.2011 - 11:09
Horus
Once my guitar player went all hendrix on stage (ex-rock band), he sat down, let a cigarette and solod for 10min and acting like a douche. So akward i runed behind the amps.
18.05.2011 - 01:08
MetalSpider
I never made to many mistakes when I played on stage. I almost dropped a stick once, but managed to recover. I forgot to tighten my the screw for my crash cymbal stand (the one that allows you to change the angle that you want to put your cymbal at) so after a few hits of my crash cymbal, the head of the stand basically dropped to 90 degrees so the cymbal was basically vertical and I couldnt hit it.

Oh and one time I forgot to bring my snare drum to a gig lol. So I had to borrow someone else's. Luckily they were nice enough to let me use it.

But thats about as bad as it ever got for me. It was worse for the guitarist/bassist in the band. The guitarist broke a string on stage once and didnt have a backup guitar, so he had to to make do with a missing string haha. The bassist/singer unplugged his bass from his pedal board on a number of occasions. So whenever he stopped singing, he would plug his bass back into his pedalboard again haha. I guess its because of the way its setup....plus he's 6'7", so his feet are about the size of the moon.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
18.05.2011 - 19:40
Ghostdancer
One time my strap slipped off my bass during a gig, but I caught it and played it across one leg while kneeling on the other. I only missed a few notes...after that gig I got a locking strap.

But that was nothing compared to what I would just call a very bad night on stage. We had played this one dive in El Paso a few times and had nothing but great experiences, but one night it went all to hell. The club's sound system kept screwing up and whoever was running their lights was either retarded or had a very bad sense of humor.

That night we were playing a lot of a new material...so when the lights kept going out we kept screwing up the songs. (After this night we used to practice in the dark once a week! I would recommend doing that to any band.) Me and the two guitarists all did vocals (like a thrash/death Kiss...:lol:) and we all got shocked by the mics a few times...and at different times the sound cut out on the solos...and I never could hear the bass lines I was playing which pissed me off more than I can express.

We were set to close on a song I had composed (my first solo composition for the band) and the band had just learned it in the preceding week or two. By the time we got to this point I was really pissed off and pretty drunk (which was not normal for me back then) so I yelled a bunch of angry random crap about cops, gangs and Poison (it was 1992...the era of gangsta rap and the twilight era for the glamsters) and cut into the bass intro way, way too fast. The song went to hell as soon as I started it...and it just degenerated into pure cacophony. What was really funny about it was the reaction of the crowd. There were about 300 to 350 people there that night...most of them looked confused, but about 25 or 30 of them didn't care...they actually moshed to noise!!

After that we never went onstage so unprepared again. We made sure we knew the material extremely well and that we could play it all in the dark. That was embarrassing as hell.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
19.05.2011 - 09:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
@Ghostdancer

I was at an open stage night once, and the venue was almost empty. there was a guy from Detroit there who was big on 70s rock. not passing up the opportunity I asked the only bassist present there and him to play (what else?) Detroit Rock City. I was pretty drunk and had a small argument with the bass player, and shouted in the microphone something like "this next song is in B major tuning". the bassist says: "no bro, it's in A major." ; "no dude, it's in B" ; "no, it's A" ; "whatever". and i start to play the song, which was (yup, you guessed it) in the key of A.

At the first gig i had with my old band, the vocalist was sick that night so he could only sing on one song, so i had to fill in for vocals at the last minute. obviously i forgot some of the lyrics, but that didn't stop it from being a generally awesome show.