Metal Storm logo
Canadian Black Metal

08.07.2007 - 06:21
Puff
The Forlorn
I've been checking out the BM sccene from my own country lately and find out a couple of great bands and im wishing to find more.
here are some of the bands that i know: Axis Of Advance, Akitsa, Rites Of Thy Degringolade, Sacramentory Abolishment, Conqueror, Blasphemy, Bloodaxe, Ouroboros Geihmre.

I may be forgetting some.

so if anyone as any band to share or just want to discuss about anything related to Canadian BM feel free to post
----
08.07.2007 - 06:34
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Why not create separate band threads with links to their music online? That way we could discuss the bands in entirely. Just a sugestion.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
08.07.2007 - 06:43
Puff
The Forlorn
Im mainly looking for recommendations here and id rather not have to create a large number of topics.

thanks for the advice anyway.
----
08.07.2007 - 17:28
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Nordicwinter is a great one man band from Quebec, who released their first album earlier this year. Horde Of Anachron is another, whom are from Victoria, B.C., and then we have Ether and Monarque, which are two more bands from Quebec. It seems like eastern Canada knows what they are doing, which is kind of refreshing since it seems pretty bland over there (I am originally from Vancouver, B.C.), and not to mention the goth, raver and industerial scenes are bigger over in Toronto (except Skinny Puppy and Frontline Assembly from Vancouver). Canada definitely lacks in good music I am sad to say, but check out those bands I mentioned.
A few more bands that are close to Canada are Ceremonial Castings, Serpent Lord (side project from frontman of Ceremonial Castings), and Wolves In The Throne Room, and Inquinok, whom are from Washington, all of which are very good bands - Wolves' just recently got signed to a Norwegian record label so I heard from a regular customer at my place of work, as they are a local band from Olympia, WA.
08.07.2007 - 18:40
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
By far the best country for black metal evarrr.

Lust (only newest album is essential but some I like most of their stuff)
Cremation
Conqueror
Revenge
Axis of Advance
Sacramentary Abolishment (Both albums are different - Listen to them both)
Akitsa
Blasphemy (first album)
Rites of Thy Degringolade (all releases are different. Get the first and third albums)
Ouroboros
Begrime Exemious

= Essentials.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
08.07.2007 - 18:52
APOHAKC
The Bard
I used to listen to some bands, but I don't know is it me, or they rather have similar sound. Not that they are similar but similar sound, like slavic Black Metal bands (Russia, Czech, Serbia...). Anyway, I listened Conqueror and it is rather awesome, I also have few song from Axis Of Advance, also very cool band, looking forward to find some more
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
08.07.2007 - 23:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I had lsiten some Canadian BM bands but I dont remeber names and there wasnt so much bands waht I loke, more some ambient bands how pure BM but if Woods of Ypres coubts I love them
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.07.2007 - 23:39
Puff
The Forlorn
@scarrowed Muse: I've just checked out Nordicwinter and I think they have some pretty descent material. Im surprised that I never heard of them since they live in a city real close to my village. Horde Of Anachron is not bad either. I still have to check out Ether and Monarque tho. Eastern Canada does lots of great BM bands such as Conqueror and Axis Of Advance. Quebec does also have a couple of great bands. As for the bands you named that are from the USA I do not like them besisdes WITTR. Ceremonial castings uses to much synths for my taste and I cant remember much about Inquinok.

@Tommy Tee: Canada really as the best Raw/Brutal BM in the world. And the bands you've mentioned are great! I just need to check out Begrime Exemious

@Aronax Of Steel: I dont uderstand what your trying to say.. similiar in what way? and yeah conqueror his teh shite.

@K7: Canada is not classed very high in terms of the quantity of bands that play but we do have quality. Wood of Ypres isn't bad but its not my cup of tea.

btw tea tastes awful
----
08.07.2007 - 23:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Puff on 08.07.2007 at 23:39

@K7: Canada is not classed very high in terms of the quantity of bands that play but we do have quality. Wood of Ypres isn't bad but its my cup of tea.

btw tea tastes awful

I agree I had some songs of some BM bands and some are good and imteresting, but since I didnt remeber names I acnt give you names
----

apos;'
[image]
09.07.2007 - 01:10
Basso
Account deleted
Wolven Ancestry is a rather intressting Melodic BM band from Canada. I urge you to check it out.
09.07.2007 - 21:01
legion1349
I found a bunch of Canadian BM bands from Quebec if anyone is interested.

Héritage Mystique
Forteresse
Ciel Nordique
Monarque

Thats just a few, lwt me know what you guys think.
09.07.2007 - 21:44
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Conqueror are no less than outstanding... they're the only Canadian band I regulary listen to (at least talking about Black Metal, becuase there are pretty good extreme doom acts from Canada).

btw, who had heard the new single of Darkthrone, "Canadian Metal"???, the song is awesome, I really would like to read its lyrics to know what it's about... if anyonw knows them or at least understand them, I would appreciate some help.
10.07.2007 - 02:24
Puff
The Forlorn
@Basso: I checked out Wolven Ancestry and I think its pretty great! my only complaint is the rather long names that they give to songs.

Legion1349: Heritage mystique seem good i will check em out. Forteresse Looks kinda funny and cheesy.. Judging by the song title (metal noir Quebecois) and the picture of Jean Charest the prime minister of Quebec on their album cover. Ciel Nordique isn't bad but nothing special and same goes for Monarque.

@Southern Wind:I dont know much about doom acts in Canada since I usually never listen to doom. I do like Funeral and Drone from time to time. I especially worship Worship from Germany. I think Canada could also renown for the Technical DM bands that play here.

I didnt listen to new Darkthrone yet since I tought The Cult Is Alive to be a poor album. But I might check out since I heard its less Punkish.
----
10.07.2007 - 02:50
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Puff on 10.07.2007 at 02:24

@Basso: I checked out Wolven Ancestry and I think its pretty great! my only complaint is the rather long names that they give to songs.

Haha indeed the songtitles are rather silly, they go die hard serious about being so incredibly "natureish" it just gets silly hehe
10.07.2007 - 06:01
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Puff on 10.07.2007 at 02:24

Legion1349: Heritage mystique seem good i will check em out. Forteresse Looks kinda funny and cheesy.. Judging by the song title (metal noir Quebecois) and the picture of Jean Charest the prime minister of Quebec on their album cover. Ciel Nordique isn't bad but nothing special and same goes for Monarque.

@Southern Wind:I dont know much about doom acts in Canada since I usually never listen to doom. I do like Funeral and Drone from time to time. I especially worship Worship from Germany. I think Canada could also renown for the Technical DM bands that play here.

I didnt listen to new Darkthrone yet since I tought The Cult Is Alive to be a poor album. But I might check out since I heard its less Punkish.

If you like drone, then you should had listened to Nadja, they're imo the greatest drone/doom act... and about Funeral Doom, awesome Canadian acts are Longing For Dawn (second album) and Zaraza... sorry for the off-topic.
10.07.2007 - 07:50
legion1349
Puff,
Yeah, Heritage Mystique was the one i found to be better of them all, however i cant findout where to purchase their album. (If anyone knows, then let me know.)

Forteresse is a little comical, considering their lyrical themes are about Quebec history & Nationalism.
10.07.2007 - 08:01
A.J Thunder
Wolven Ancestry at least sounds wery intresting from what i've heard on myspace and their live video was great. Woods of Ypres is an absolute masterpiece and maybe one of my favourit bands right now, anyone who havent heard them should check them out.

Seems like they have an quit big bm sceen in Canada at least in Ontario where if i remember right they have this group called Northern Ontario Black Metal wich consist of like 12 guys who are working in many different bands/projects. They have an myspace accound with that name and i think its an good way of hearing Canadian black metal.
11.07.2007 - 03:21
Puff
The Forlorn
@Southern Wind: I already know about Nadja and I think they are awsome. Ill surely check the 2 others tho and ill tell you more of what I think about em.

@Legion1349: I've Checked out those bands you told me and I was wrong about Forteresse. They are pretty damn great and I think the same about Heritage Mystique. altought not original both bands are great at what they do.

@Nocturnal: I wasn't really Impressed by any BM bands from Ontarion yet. I find this NOBM scene to be quite ridiculous. I dont mind listening to Empyrean Plague from time to time, but they are not any better than any above average Pagan/Viking Black Metal band.

For those who listen to listen to nature-inspired Black Metal you might want to check out Brume D'automne who is similiar to Forteresse and Nordmen wich is a one-man Side Project from Arthos of Forteresse. And be sure to check Blood Axe whicj is my favorite Viking/Black Metal band From Canada. Also to anyone interested Raw Black Metal be sure to check out Allfather!!!
I am currently listening to Weapon Of Ascention atm and I can say this is some excellent material.
----
11.07.2007 - 18:52
chuckie
Account deleted
IMO Wolven Ancestry is THE Canadian black metal band. Also several Quebec band deserve recognition for their amazingness.
13.07.2007 - 15:16
Bubonic
My personal favorites are Akitsa and Sombre Forêts. Sombre Forêts "Quintessence" was one of my favorite albuns from 2006.
14.07.2007 - 20:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Not sure what Nadja is doing in this thread, but they are really awesome. So far my favourite is Touched.

And Lust is something different, weird and creepy, but grim andeth kvlt. So check it out! (Directed to: anyone)
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.07.2007 - 21:15
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
^ Lust = Awesome.

I wish I knew more about these next two split releases. They've both been delayed. Not even the label (Iron Tyrant) knows what's going about the Lust/Morbid Upheaval split.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
14.07.2007 - 21:58
Damnated
Churchburner
i know Sombre forets and würm, both of them are pretty mediocre. i also checked out some axis of advance, rites of thy ... in the past, but i remember i wasn't impressed by them. canada remains white and undiscovered for me.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
17.07.2007 - 06:24
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I was only able to find two Wolven Ancestry mp3's to download, but I checked out their myspace page which had a few more song's to listen to and I must say that they are pretty damn good. Again I am surprised by a quality BM band from Canada, and they are actually playing in Seattle soon with Ceremonial Castings.
01.08.2007 - 07:38
legion1349
I found the lyrics for the Darkthrone song "Canadian Metal".......for those who were interested

SEX WITH SATAN the loudest song
Sound like a hammer from hell!
PYROKINESES and TAKE THIS TORCH
Sounds that fill me with no remorse...auh!

CANADIAN METAL!!!

WHIMSICAL UPROAR, TORTURED SOULS,
For these fuckin' sounds my angry heart calls
Canadian metal, just obey
On your weak sounds (new plastic metal) we will prey...
09.08.2007 - 23:32
UnholyMenace
Psycho
Wolven Ancestry it very interesting band. I know them quite a long time now. Their song "Our Star-Guided Journey To The Realm Of Neverending Life" was in my Top10 for a pretty long time. I also listen to Woods of Ypres, but it gets a bit boring after some listening. There is also Profugus Mortis - they released their first album this year. I checked them out when they released the single "United Under a Shadowed Nightsky" and pretty much forgot the band after that. But few weeks ago I listened to their new album and it is very good - refreshing.
09.08.2007 - 23:52
mankvill
Isn't that the title of a new Darkthrone track?
10.08.2007 - 00:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I read ppl talk about Sombre Forets and I remebe rthat a lot of Can BM bands has lyrics in french and thats good, thats keep lil somehow Europian BM spirit alive there hehe
----

apos;'
[image]
16.09.2007 - 07:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Yeah I saw Wolven Ancestry a few weeks ago (for like 6 bucks!), they were really good, I picked up an album. One band from my city called Lithica arent bad, they recently got a review on MS here for there first demo.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.09.2007 - 09:53
Anton Alcolust
i love the Canadian scene , but not the Quebec's black metal that i don't really know . Bands like Blasphemy , Conqueror , Revenge , Axis of Advance , Order from Chaos are some of my favourite (and all are with almost the same guys !) . Here in France , we haven't war/black metal bands like them , and it's a bit hard to find easily their release .
I know a bit about Quebec's black metal , and it's mainly in the vein of pagan/bm , it's not what i like the most ; but the few i have listened from it is with good cold ambiance .
----
A.M.S.G.