Metal Storm logo
Need help finding the best, affordable cabinet

29.05.2006 - 01:43
Sebek
Account deleted
I need some help on this one guys. I've been on the market looking for one that won't cost me an arm and a leg to get. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.;D
29.05.2006 - 07:10
WarriorOfMetal
www.avatarspeakers.com

also sometimes you can find used Celestion-loaded Laney and Ampeg guitar cabs for relatively cheap. there's also Carvin.

if you're willing to spend around $500, there's also the Genz-Benz G-flex 2x12.....i know, i know, it's not a 4x12, but believe me it's well worth it. it's got at least as much bottom end to it as most 4x12s, but it also has more top-end clarity, and it's very tight and punchy sounding.....not to mention it won't hurt your back as much to move it around, and it can fit in a smaller car more easily. only thing i've found that i don't like about it very much is that unless you can find a way to angle it back somehow, it can be hard to hear onstage (although the audience will have no trouble). if you have any questions about that cabinet, ask and i'll try to answer them.
30.05.2006 - 00:10
Sebek
Account deleted
I'll look into it, thanks man. I've been looking at a Behringer BG412F 4x12? I've read a lot of good reviews about it and it's only $229.99 on musiciansfriend. If anyone knows anything about this cabinet, please let me know.
30.05.2006 - 08:48
WarriorOfMetal
i would probably avoid behringer cabinets.....i've read that they're not particularly durable, and the "wood" that's used in them (the same reason they're not very durable) makes them sound like crap. no personal experience with them though.
01.06.2006 - 05:31
Sebek
Account deleted
Alright man, thanks again. I haven't really heard much about them either. I was just dickin' around on musicians friend and found it. Plus, the reviews it got were pretty damn good, but then again, it could have just been the company trying to support their product by making fake reviews. Anyway, about the Genz Benz, would it be able to run my 5150 head without any problems? I don't want to buy one and blow it up because it can't handle the head.
01.06.2006 - 06:00
WarriorOfMetal
i'm using a Peavey Ultra Plus, which, like the 5150, is a 120W tube head, and have no problems. i've also got a 150W solid state head that also runs with no problems. i wouldn't worry about it.....it's not very often you'd have the amp above 5 or so on the master volume anyway
03.06.2006 - 07:02
Sebek
Account deleted
I dnn't know man, sometimes, when I'm taking it over the top, I turn it up to eleven, lol, just kidding, but seriously. I appreciate all of your help. I just have one more question for you, what do you think about Marshall cabinets, not the extremely cheap ones.
03.06.2006 - 11:20
Too many fail.
This might be a bit off topic, but what do you guys think aboyt the roland cube amp series?
a guy in my school was playing some ibanez guitar through the 30w model on the clean channel and it sounded pretty neat. the audio clip on their website also demonstrates nice crunchy dist sound considering the seize of the amp. anyhow im no expert in amps do you thikn theyre good and smart investements if you want a nice affordable amp, whats the price range for those anyways?
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
04.06.2006 - 19:10
WarriorOfMetal
the Roland Cubes are decent....my brother has the 15W one, those typically go for $99 USD.

Sebek....the 1960 cabinets are nice, and a good match with the 5150 for melodeath.
06.06.2006 - 06:27
Sebek
Account deleted
Those little Roland Cubes are the shit man! My mom's old boyfriend had one and he used to let me play it a lot. It has so many cool effects on it, perfect for when you just feel like messing around.
06.06.2006 - 06:29
Sebek
Account deleted
Written by WarriorOfMetal on 04.06.2006 at 19:10

the Roland Cubes are decent....my brother has the 15W one, those typically go for $99 USD.

Sebek....the 1960 cabinets are nice, and a good match with the 5150 for melodeath.

How much would one of those run me?
06.06.2006 - 10:17
WarriorOfMetal
i think they're usually in the $450-500 range.....check completed auctions on ebay to get a better idea.
06.06.2006 - 20:42
Too many fail.
Is the 60w abnoxiosly loud? cos i wont be needing any blast equipment, as il only be playing by myself and very irregularly with a couple of guys from my school. whats the price range for the 30w and 60watts?

EDIT: Talking bout the Roland Cubes btw...
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
10.07.2006 - 16:24
Lord Grim
Bah. Why go with these? You can get Mesa quality for a lot less. www.vadercabs.net I have played on a few Vader cabs and let me tell you, they are just as good as a Mesa. The 4X12 is $650... A lot less than a Mesa, but it's just as good. Then it is 480Watts. Which is plenty. Go with Vader, trust me, it is well worth it.

Lord Grim
----
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary in life."
10.07.2006 - 16:27
Lord Grim
Oh.. I notice that it may seem a bit low price. That is only because it's a fairly newer more underground company. They are rarely on Ebay, but when they are, they usually sell for about $400 used. Still, for new $650... It is worth it. New Mesas, or other brands can be a lot more expensive than a mere $650.
----
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary in life."
11.07.2006 - 15:30
Ibanez07
Account deleted
On a higher wattage/power note...

Musicians friend has a $700 Crate full stack with a total of 8 10 inch speakers, and a decent head. The sound isn't bad at all either. That's what I'm saving for.
11.07.2006 - 21:37
Lord Grim
Eh. I've played on many Crates, the only thing from Crate that I personally like is the Blue Voodoo. I have one and I use it with a Peavey XXX Stack. I mean... The full stack is okay. But if you really want top quality for something... Go with a vader cab and a Peavey 6505+, Rhino, or a Mesa Triple Rectifier. The 6505+ and the vader cabinet sounds really nice together. It's a very professional setup. Bogner, and some other brands are really good and all, but they are expensive. Crate has okay quality, but my ex-guitarists have had Crate and I've played on several Crate and the only thing I recommend from them is a Blue Voodoo. Marshall downright blows. They only have a few things worth looking at. The JCM 800 and the 1960 cabs. Other than that, Marshall pretty much blows. And for the price, you can get better quality for less money. The Vader Cabs are just as good as the top of the line Mesa and about half the price. Krank is okay, I would not recommend it though. It's overrated and too expensive if you're on a budget. Again, stick with a 6505+ or 5150 series 2 head from Peavey. You can find them to be quite affordable on Ebay. Then pick up a Vader cab and you'll pay half of what you would for a top of the line setup when in fact, this is a more than top of the line setup. Countless amazing bands with amazing tone use Peavey heads. Countless bands also use Mesa cabs or a lower end cab that is not as good as a Mesa. If you have the Vader cab which has a musician friendly price and combine it with the 6505+, then you will have a really nice sound which is better than most people. Then... If you decide you want something special so you can have all sorts of different effects, let's say for solos, or for beginnings of songs and you want something different from a regular amp distortion or clean channel. The Korg Toneworks AXH3000 or something similar is only $200 and it gives you some really nice options. Just listen to the main demo for that one. Or the Boss GT8 ($300) is a really good processor as well. Then if you have those pedals, you can switch from your regular distortion to the pedals whenever you want and you can have these different professional things that you desire. Listen to the Boss GT8 demo as well. It's very powerful and has a lot of options. The Korg's main feature is it's unique tone which is dynamite for soloing, etc. Then for your rackmounted gear, I recommend the $200 Furman power conditioner, the Korg rackmounted tuner, and some other things that I cannot think of right now for some reason. But anyways. If you need more information of what I recommend, then just ask. I have A LOT of experience with different amps, effects, PA gear, etc. I'm actually a vocalist, guitarist, bassist, and keyboardist. So if you have any questions about anything, just ask. I've been dealing with music for a long time now.

Lord Grim
----