Metal Storm logo
Iced Earth - Vocalist And Bassist Quit The Band

In the wake of the ongoing controversy surrounding the group's guitarist and founding member Jon Schaffer, Iced Earth vocalist Stu Block and bassist Luke Appleton have decided to quit the band. Statements from both of them can be read below.

Stuart's statement reads: "Hey all, well, there are times and events when you have to take stock and re evaluate your life, work, and trajectory for the future. That being said I have informed Jon and his current management that I must announce my resignation from Iced Earth with immediate effect.

"Before I made any personal decision I needed the last few weeks to process the situation as well as respect others in our camp processing the situation. I thank you all very much for respecting this. It's the best decision in many ways for my personal/ professional growth going forward. Time to move on, heal and prosper. Much love and respect to you all. Don't fret! Stay tuned for some exciting things to come! Time to embark upon a new chapter. Be good to each other."

Comment from Luke: "In response to recent events & circumstances, I have notified Iced Earth's management and Jon that I will be resigning as the Iced Earth bassist with immediate effect. I would like to thank everyone who has sent me their support and love during this difficult time. Thank you!"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Iced Earth
Posted: 15.02.2021 by HyperDrifter

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 70   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 429 users
16.02.2021 - 12:35
ScottyM
Good riddance Iced Earth. Insurrection isn't metal. Consequence Culture finally caught up to Jon and his shit behavior.
16.02.2021 - 14:25
Desha
delicious dish
Written by ScottyM on 16.02.2021 at 12:35

Good riddance Iced Earth. Insurrection isn't metal. Consequence Culture finally caught up to Jon and his shit behavior.

I mean... Insurrection sounds pretty metal (both as a concept, but also there's even 8 different "Insurrection" listed on MA, lmao). It was just for the lamest and most laughable reasons, which makes it incredibly funny to me.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
16.02.2021 - 14:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 16.02.2021 at 10:20

Jon went to the Capitol "Come What May" thinking it was "1776" all over again, but like in any half-normal country now he is facing the "Consequences" as it was "Written on the Walls", hehe.

There is a difference between thinking these things (Stu) and actually doing it (Jon) - this is where I draw the line tbh, there is always a way to come back from even the craziest of reality-bending conspiracy theories. Remember Mustaine rambling on stage that Obama staged mass shootings or Phil Anselmo doing the nazi salute and shouting "white power" on stage? while these things were said/done on stage (and Anselmo got a lot of flak for it and apologized for it) what Schaffer did crossed a very dangerous line and shows that he has gone full crazy.

Even though I was (still am?) a big Iced Earth fan, I am not comfortable going to an Iced Earth concert and showing my enjoyment of the songs, throwing horns, shouting "we love you Jon" like I did, and the labels are aware there are many people in this situation. If I were Jon now I would do a Varg: accept the legal consequences, take some years off, cool my head down, then maybe get back into music, possibly a different style. He already turned himself in so he is on the correct path I guess.

We as metalheads and people should hold musicians to a higher standard than this. this is not cancel culture, this is people shooting themselves in the foot by saying / doing repugnant things and getting a reaction, in short: fucked around & found out.

Do you think IE ever will play again'? Probably never. Like you said screaming, shouting is one think, I have said many thinks in ms what are stupid, but I never has done it. There is one man who is responsible for this , whit shit talk about election falsification. Nuclear Power Trio. In Donal party many dislike it, its insult to whole democratic institutions in the world. I think punishment can be hard. He might even get 25 years in a slammer.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.02.2021 - 14:28
Desha
delicious dish
Written by Coconut Racecar on 16.02.2021 at 05:29

Hope they get shot.

jesus
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
16.02.2021 - 14:30
EdenEcho
Jake apparently claims that Iced Earth employed him during 2016-2018. If it is so, then why did he sign the statement along with the other members after the events of the Capitol? He also toured and recorded with Demons&Wizards in 2019 and 2020 respectively, so he was clearly involved with Schafer. Anyway, still waiting for the new Witherfall (it'll be interesting to see whether they credit Jon for the production of the album), just wanted to point that out.
16.02.2021 - 14:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by EdenEcho on 16.02.2021 at 14:30

still waiting for the new Witherfall (it'll be interesting to see whether they credit Jon for the production of the album), just wanted to point that out.

That cand can not reach level what IE is. IE brings money, rare band what gives you money in a pocket so ---- that band never will reach high level.
----

apos;'
[image]
16.02.2021 - 15:15
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Written by Desha on 16.02.2021 at 14:25

I mean... Insurrection sounds pretty metal.

Powerwolf really needs to do a song called "Insurrection By Erection". It's a must!
16.02.2021 - 16:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

apos;'
[image]
16.02.2021 - 16:45
Maco
Pvt Funderground
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
16.02.2021 - 16:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Maco on 16.02.2021 at 16:45

Written by Bad English on 16.02.2021 at 16:03

And now this
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iced-earths-jon-schaffer-seen-charging-officers-in-newly-released-video-footage-from-capitol-riot/

Fuck me what a legend

Sorry man I dont like do guys, ask someone else.
Yes and consequences, his life might be over. We have heard stories about suicide in a jail.
----

apos;'
[image]
16.02.2021 - 17:13
Written by Coconut Racecar on 16.02.2021 at 05:29

Hope they get shot.

Calm down mate
16.02.2021 - 19:41
IBlackened
Written by Illusion's_Void on 16.02.2021 at 12:26

Written by @zgarol on 15.02.2021 at 20:33

I believed metal is above cancel culture.

That would be great, mate, but hell no.
Labels dropping artists because of personal beliefs, social beliefs or accusations. Festivals doing the same, sometimes even cancelling fans. Band members turning off each other by exact reasons. And the whole thing against certain music genres like NSBM... (well, even here in MS we are to blame for that)

The FBI was after Jon for breaking the law. The guy was caught on camera, but no, it's just cancel culture.
----
Their old stuff is better.
16.02.2021 - 20:02
Oracles
Written by IBlackened on 16.02.2021 at 19:41

Labels dropping artists because of personal beliefs, social beliefs or accusations. Festivals doing the same, sometimes even cancelling fans. Band members turning off each other by exact reasons. And the whole thing against certain music genres like NSBM... (well, even here in MS we are to blame for that)

The FBI was after Jon for breaking the law. The guy was caught on camera, but no, it's just cancel culture.

There most definitely IS a cancel culture, but this does not fit the bill. Breaking into a Federal Building on a day where cops got shot and died is an act of terrorism plain and simple. I love Iced Earth and I liked Schaffer's "rebel attitude", but he clearly crossed the line and will most definitely get jail time since he's indicted on six federal charges. He deserves it though and good on the members for quitting/leaving (I doubt this band ever comes back).
16.02.2021 - 21:43
Metal Spartan
Written by Valentin B on 16.02.2021 at 10:20

We as metalheads and people should hold musicians to a higher standard than this. this is not cancel culture, this is people shooting themselves in the foot by saying / doing repugnant things and getting a reaction, in short: fucked around & found out.

Why should they be held to a higher standard? They're people and metalheads just like us. What Jon did was a reaction to all the sick shit these politicians have been getting away with. He actually practiced what he's been preaching all this time. It took balls for him to do what he did.
16.02.2021 - 21:50
IBlackened
Written by Metal Spartan on 16.02.2021 at 21:43

Why should they be held to a higher standard? They're people and metalheads just like us. What Jon did was a reaction to all the sick shit these politicians have been getting away with. He actually practiced what he's been preaching all this time. It took balls for him to do what he did.

He also broke the law while doing so, at least according to the FBI, but you know better, right?
----
16.02.2021 - 22:10
Aries Rising
Written by Oracles on 16.02.2021 at 20:02

There most definitely IS a cancel culture, but this does not fit the bill. Breaking into a Federal Building on a day where cops got shot and died is an act of terrorism plain and simple. I love Iced Earth and I liked Schaffer's "rebel attitude", but he clearly crossed the line and will most definitely get jail time since he's indicted on six federal charges. He deserves it though and good on the members for quitting/leaving (I doubt this band ever comes back).

No cop died that day due to being shot. The cop died of a stroke, the only person shot was a protester.
16.02.2021 - 22:23
Metal Spartan
Quote:
Written by IBlackened on 16.02.2021 at 21:50

He also broke the law while doing so, at least according to the FBI, but you know better, right?

You mean the same FBI that has been caught lying, cheating and covering up for a lot of these politicians and doing these things for their own gain and our loss? Yes, I do know better...and you and I are better people than they are.
16.02.2021 - 22:31
Metal Spartan
Quote:
Written by Aries Rising on 16.02.2021 at 22:10

No cop died that day due to being shot. The cop died of a stroke, the only person shot was a protester.

This is true. Based on the ignorant responses not only on this site, but many others, there is a huge lack of information or straight up misinformation people are being fed.
16.02.2021 - 23:03
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Quote:
Written by Metal Spartan on 16.02.2021 at 22:31

This is true. Based on the ignorant responses not only on this site, but many others, there is a huge lack of information or straight up misinformation people are being fed.

And you're perpetuating misinformation. The cop that died was a capitol police officer and he was beaten with a fire extinguisher by protestors. He died of his injuries after being taken to the hospital, not by a stroke.
16.02.2021 - 23:05
IBlackened
Written by Metal Spartan on 16.02.2021 at 22:23

You mean the same FBI that has been caught lying, cheating and covering up for a lot of these politicians and doing these things for their own gain and our loss? Yes, I do know better...and you and I are better people than they are.

Except there are photos and video footage of him doing the things he's being accused of.
----
17.02.2021 - 00:06
Metal Spartan
Written by WorpeX on 16.02.2021 at 23:03

And you're perpetuating misinformation. The cop that died was a capitol police officer and he was beaten with a fire extinguisher by protestors. He died of his injuries after being taken to the hospital, not by a stroke.

Not at all. It is reported that Sicknick actually went home that evening and that reports of him being beaten by a fire extinguisher are false. His brother called him that night and asked if he was ok. Besides a few sprays in the face, he said he was fine. He apparently died Thursday that week of a stroke, but even that is in question. No autopsy reports and it is said he was cremated. That whole incident is completely crazy and I smell another cover up.

lBlackened, there's also plenty of video that I've seen of cops opening doors and letting the protesters in...even taking pics with some of them. If there actually is video of Jon pushing his way through some cops, then those cops should've taken a cue from their fellow officers and not gotten in the way of justice. That's my take.
17.02.2021 - 00:50
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by Metal Spartan on 17.02.2021 at 00:06

Not at all. It is reported that Sicknick actually went home that evening and that reports of him being beaten by a fire extinguisher are false. His brother called him that night and asked if he was ok. Besides a few sprays in the face, he said he was fine. He apparently died Thursday that week of a stroke, but even that is in question. No autopsy reports and it is said he was cremated. That whole incident is completely crazy and I smell another cover up.

Interesting. I hadn't seen that, after a quick google I see the NYT had to retract their article. You're right, that is crazy. How does that even get falsely reported in the first place? Feel like medical records would be pretty clear in this situation.
17.02.2021 - 02:52
Aries Rising
Written by WorpeX on 17.02.2021 at 00:50

Written by Metal Spartan on 17.02.2021 at 00:06

Interesting. I hadn't seen that, after a quick google I see the NYT had to retract their article. You're right, that is crazy. How does that even get falsely reported in the first place? Feel like medical records would be pretty clear in this situation.

Because "news" organizations don't care about being factually anymore. They just care about clicks and they are not held accountable of lying to the public. When they do "corrections" they don't edit the original posts nor do they make a big deal about the correction, so the misinformation stays out there. Both sides do it too. Media as a whole is too influential and corrupt at this point and needs serious reform. I mean we literally have a newspaper owned by Bezos that just covers his ass and gives him good PR. He's no different than the disgusting Hursts of old (George and William Randolph).

BUT people need to stop being lazy and start doing their due diligence to learn the truth and cut through the bullshit.
17.02.2021 - 07:02
Metal Spartan
Quote:
Written by WorpeX on 17.02.2021 at 00:50

That's the thing though...there are no autopsy reports, no medical records...they just say he got cremated and just like that, poof, he vanished.

I'm telling you WorpeX, that is just the tip of the iceberg on the misinformation and lies that are out there. Aries Rising is right about the media and NYT is no exception. Hell, I think they set the bar on false reporting. Instead of doing any kind of investigating as their fuckin job description entails them to, these "journalists" just take small clips of video/audio that other people recorded, doctor them up a little, and then fabricate stories.

The sham impeachment trial and the doctored videos they showed to try to prove Trump's supposed guilt is the most recent example. They even got caught doctoring them, but these corrupt fucks don't care because they know they're not going to suffer any consequences and will continue getting away with it.

It is no longer about Democrat vs Republican or liberal vs conservative...it is about the elite establishment vs the populists, the people. This is why I keep trying to hammer into people that maybe, just maybe, people like Schaffer aren't the lunatics that a lot of people here and other sites make them out to be and that they might actually have a point. Which is why I'll repeat: Stu+Luke=pussies.
17.02.2021 - 18:16
Oracles

Written by Oracles on 16.02.2021 at 20:02

Interesting, I did not know that. I was having lunch and someone put it on CNN and they were having a random funeral for a cop who died that day and were really pushing the agenda that the Trump terrorists killed him.
17.02.2021 - 19:37
Metal Spartan
CNN are a bunch of lying hacks who are complicit with covering up for Biden and the elite establishment. These are the same pieces of shit who allowed the riots to happen over the summer and are still continuing to this day...they just aren't reporting it. To think they used to be a decent network about 15 years ago. Just think, if these media people/politicians are willing to go this far in covering their asses, imagine how scared they are of people like Schaffer and the "Trumpers" exposing them for fear that they will lose their power or even be jailed. The more people wake up, the less likely these corrupt assholes will get away with their bullshit.
17.02.2021 - 22:09
Hellthunder
Written by ScottyM on 16.02.2021 at 12:35

Insurrection isn't metal.

For a split second I thought Insurrection was an IE album I had forgotten about.
18.02.2021 - 06:52
no one
Written by Metal Spartan on 17.02.2021 at 19:37

CNN are a bunch of lying hacks who are complicit with covering up for Biden and the elite establishment. These are the same pieces of shit who allowed the riots to happen over the summer and are still continuing to this day...they just aren't reporting it. To think they used to be a decent network about 15 years ago. Just think, if these media people/politicians are willing to go this far in covering their asses, imagine how scared they are of people like Schaffer and the "Trumpers" exposing them for fear that they will lose their power or even be jailed. The more people wake up, the less likely these corrupt assholes will get away with their bullshit.

Really think its time to take off the tinfoil hat and connect with reality again man. Maybe you should be watching CNN instead of the wack jobs brainwashing you on youtube.
----
Unable to connect to the database
18.02.2021 - 12:31
nikarg
Staff
Written by no one on 18.02.2021 at 06:52

Really think its time to take off the tinfoil hat and connect with reality again man. Maybe you should be watching CNN instead of the wack jobs brainwashing you on youtube.

Well, CNN has had an interesting 180 degrees turn since the early '90s when it was live broadcasting the Gulf War while justifying all the "collateral damage" that took place over there. Brainwashing is brainwashing, regardless what the target audience is.
18.02.2021 - 15:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 18.02.2021 at 12:31

Written by no one on 18.02.2021 at 06:52

Well, CNN has had an interesting 180 degrees turn since the early '90s when it was live broadcasting the Gulf War while justifying all the "collateral damage" that took place over there. Brainwashing is brainwashing, regardless what the target audience is.

Its True, those news channels was boring before war, its like they created it, as in 007 movie.
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 4309 | This month: 8