Metal Storm logo
Savage Circus

29.05.2006 - 20:00
kackbratze

Hey!

I was really willing to create a thread about this band since there is none in the new forum yet.
This is the band of ex-Blind Guardian member Thomen Stauch, Savage Circus. What do you think about them? Some just dismiss it as a dumb BG clone, but I think that's more than unfair because Thomen was part of BG for such a long time. I think you can hear that with the guys from Iron Savior and Persuader they aren't beginners anymore. Imho their debut album "Dreamland Manor" is just awesome. This is because I like the old BG more and this is exactly what they play. At first it seems to be too much alike, especially the voice, but if you listen to it closely, you will notice that the singer has a unique voice compared to Hansi and that he sounds rougher and varies his pitch more often (imho).
It's similar, but I think the songs are just so damn good. It's one of those albums I love every single second of (I've just experienced this once so far with Behemoth's "Demigod"). Don't blame me, but I think Savage Circus does way better than Blind Guardian. I am looking forward to new songs from them! You can see how much I dig them, if you look at my avatar and my signature..

So what do you think?
29.05.2006 - 20:34
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I read some stuff about this band. I am really interested since Stauch is in the band. I heard one song from a website and it really is a nice throwback to older Blind Guardian. I will definitely keep an eye open. I'm not sure about being better than Blind Guardian, but I have only heard one song.
----
The force will be with you, always.
29.05.2006 - 23:55
noks
Account deleted
I have only heard one track, but I still think I can contribute a bit. The track i have heard is Evil Eyes. I think it rocks, but it's so close to the sound that BG has. That's ok and the song is great, it's not that, it's just that I only need one Blind Guardian If you know what I mean.
08.06.2006 - 02:47
Endoftherainbow

The great Thomen former drummer of Blind Guardians first new album. Thomen must have been quite the key member of Blind Guardian because Savage Circus sounds like Blind Guardian and now from the new Blind Guardian I have heard sounds like shit. The album Dreamland Manor is an amazing debut album for any band for me I'd say it's almost as good as the Blind Guardian album Imaginations From The Otherside but not quite if they keep getting better it's possiable that Savage Circus will be the new Blind Guardian.
08.06.2006 - 03:23
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well now, we don't want a clone do we? Though that's what Savage Circus is kind of seeming like, they do have their own unique sound, somewhat. I had the chance to hear the whole album and it was good. I only listened to it once, so I can't make much of an opinion but it was filled with a lot of speed and a lot of thrashyness. It did remind me a lot of early Blind Guardian, but even more furious. A good band, but maybe almost too much like Blind Guardian.
----
The force will be with you, always.
12.06.2006 - 12:27
kackbratze

"It did remind me a lot of early Blind Guardian, but even more furious."
Yes, that's what I like about them.
"I'd say it's almost as good as the Blind Guardian album Imaginations From The Otherside but not quite if they keep getting better it's possiable that Savage Circus will be the new Blind Guardian."
I never thought about it that way, but at least they will continue Blind Guardian's former style as Blind Guardian are travelling in another direction.

I praised the album quite much when I started the thread, but as good as it is (imho), I have listened a bit too much to it and it has lost its touch for me right now. I need to listen to something else until it's fun again. I listened to the whole Blind Guardian discography again and I have to say that my statement that Savage Circus would be better than Blind Guardian was a bit rash. They are good, but we need more stuff from them to judge.

Nevertheless I recommend anyone who hasn't done it yet to try out "Dreamland Manor". Now!
14.07.2006 - 23:49
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
man, this project is the best since demons and wizards. The first track evil eyes is awesome, speed and fury, while the others songs are truly DESTRUTIVE AND MASSIVE !!!!!! i love ths disc dreamland manor, since i get it i don't syop listen it. And as you say: BG is in other direction, amazing work with a night at the opera and twist but Savage Circus is the beginnings of BG mixed with Iron saviour (piet silck) and Dragonforce (Speed). As i say, the best thing since demons and wizards and the best song is IT, tomorrowland, Beyond Reality, When Hell awakes, Born again by the night!...oh man! this is the best album!
30.07.2006 - 00:47
okt31
Account deleted
Well, SC is not very original, but VERY well done power metal. It's much better than the brand new BG disk (A Twist in the Myth) IMO. A great record, hopefully a debut of a lasting super-group.
01.08.2006 - 03:02
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Titans of our time (iron saviour) and Tomorrowland (Savage circus) are very similar don't you think?
24.09.2006 - 12:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vinnie R. on 01.08.2006 at 03:02

Titans of our time (iron saviour) and Tomorrowland (Savage circus) are very similar don't you think?

Hmm good quatsen, I think lil bit it is because in savage Circus giutarist are one of Iron Savior mamber and its only logical think that he compose simmilr melodies how in IS

BTW lbum vocer are like Svatage
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.09.2006 - 14:26
Baz Anderson

i am going to be seeing them live in five days and i am really looking forward to it!!
i have their album so i hope i can get it signed

the album is really good. i really like it.
yes it sounds a lot like early Blind Guardian, but that is good - we need a good band to sway away from the wishy washy symphonic lot for a bit and give us a powerful power metal album
and they have done just that
25.09.2006 - 19:12
Tydirium
Account deleted
Savage Circus is a great Power Metal Band. I like them
because they musical continue at a point where Thomen's
ex-band Blind Guardian turned into a musical style i do
not like so much...

Savage Circus embodies good old Power Metal with thrashy
and fast riffs and an even faster drumming!
26.09.2006 - 08:58
Xeolord
Account deleted
From the looks of where Blind Guardian is heading ... I'd have to say I'm more interested in Savage Circus's future. I heard a few songs from a friend, and I was very impressed. I can admit it was scary how similar they sound compared to BG, but you can say that for a lot of X bands compared to X bands. Savage Circus just does a great job at it though. Its also cool to see Piet helping them out (I love Iron Savior).

But yeah, BG lost a huge thing with Thomen's leave.
26.09.2006 - 09:53
Baz Anderson

yes and Persuader is a good band as well
i am interested in how long the band will go for - if this will be just a few albums sort of thing, or a band that carrys on and on like Blind Guardian have
26.09.2006 - 18:08
Tydirium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.09.2006 at 08:58

From the looks of where Blind Guardian is heading ... I'd have to say I'm more interested in Savage Circus's future. I heard a few songs from a friend, and I was very impressed. I can admit it was scary how similar they sound compared to BG, but you can say that for a lot of X bands compared to X bands. Savage Circus just does a great job at it though. Its also cool to see Piet helping them out (I love Iron Savior).

But yeah, BG lost a huge thing with Thomen's leave.

You are totally right. It is a great mess that Thomen left Blind Guardian,
because he was also an important songwrighter in the band... I guess that
Savage Circus will always be "just another band like BG", but they also have
an immense potential!
26.09.2006 - 20:50
Baz Anderson

just the bad part is we wont get Savage Circus albums as often as we all would like, as the members have other comitments as well (Iron Savior, Persuader)
so Savage Circus wont get all of their attention
27.09.2006 - 15:40
Kal_Rhael
Account deleted
Meh I listened to a couple of songs and they sound way to blind guardian for my taste, nothing i hate more then a band taking another bands unique sound. i mean cmon make your own... I understand the drummer left blind guardian because he didn't like where the band was heading but cmon Just after one album that's trying something new and the guy freaks out and starts his own band? What a cry baby. What happends when blind-guardian starts doing songs more akin to their old stuff again? Well now we're going to have two bands with the same sound.

Savage Circus brings nothing new, it's just a clone band. But I guess some people like that.
27.09.2006 - 16:34
Tydirium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.09.2006 at 15:40

Meh I listened to a couple of songs and they sound way to blind guardian for my taste, nothing i hate more then a band taking another bands unique sound. i mean cmon make your own... I understand the drummer left blind guardian because he didn't like where the band was heading but cmon Just after one album that's trying something new and the guy freaks out and starts his own band? What a cry baby. What happends when blind-guardian starts doing songs more akin to their old stuff again? Well now we're going to have two bands with the same sound.

Savage Circus brings nothing new, it's just a clone band. But I guess some people like that.

You guessed right. Many people enjoy the older Guardian stuff more then the new stuff.
And the "old Blind Guardian" (Tales from the Twilight World times) is evidently dead! The
have no thrashy riffs anymore in there songs today... That's a pity and Savage Circus is
a welcome alternative which continues with the older BG style...
27.09.2006 - 19:39
Baz Anderson

yes - i dont have any problem with them sounding like Blind Guardian at all
Blind Guardian are not going to go back to playing the sort of stuff they did in the eighties/early ninties - so Savage Circus can come along and take that back
he has full right to have the band sound like Blind Guardian back then because he was part of Blind Guardian at that time
30.10.2006 - 00:33
eagleheart
Account deleted
i think that this is right.The old blind guardian stuff is way better than the new one,even if "twist i the myth" is surely better than "a night at the opera".I don't know though if savage circus can be as good as the old blind guardian,it would be wonderful if they could be that good,but i really doubt.They most probably would be considered something like a clone of blind guardian.
31.10.2006 - 13:21
back_off

this band is amazing.. i love every second of dreamland manor...also theres one particular song i like in which the vocalist sing something something " on my white horse, saving my princess from harm" lol its great!
01.11.2006 - 03:42
Baz Anderson

i find it amusing how Iron Savior seems to be like the provider of songs
a member went to Masterplan - and so Masterplan did their own version of Iron Savior's 'After The War' - entitled 'After This War'

and the same has happened with Savage Circus
their track 'Waltz The Demon' is just a different version of Iron Savior's 'Made Of Metal'..
02.11.2006 - 02:21
Deathwyrm

I'm actually pretty glad that Savage Circus came about.

I know a bunch of people who are disappointed in Blind Guardian's new style. Personally, I am not. I'd hate for a band to release the same sounding thing over and over and over, it gets stagnant. At least this way, there's a way I can listen to a bit of each with upcoming albums. Want something old BG style? Savage Circus. Want something new BG style? Keep with BG.

I'm fine with this arrangement. They may not be the most original in style... but hey, unoriginal does not automatically equal bad. Nor does original automatically equal good, for that matter. I'm perfectly fine with a similiar style band that at least does the job very well.

Love the vocals too. First heard him on Distant Tides by Dark Empire, and was impressed. This can continue with my approval.
09.11.2006 - 09:22
Larsson
Account deleted
Dreamland Manor is a great album. I dont mind that it sounds very similar to BG. I actually think that this album is better than most BG albums even if i really like BG. Hoping to hear more from this great band!
23.04.2007 - 00:18
Dirt pride
Account deleted
these guys are great, saw them at last years bloodstock, hoping to get dreamland manor soon. they are great live.
08.07.2007 - 19:53
Grey_Dandelion

even if i m not that happy with the two last works of blind guardian-good but not great-and i like Thomen a lot(my favourite drum player) i dont find something really interesing about savage circus!i hope he returns to blind leading them to the path of glory
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
13.08.2007 - 19:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Baz Anderson on 27.09.2006 at 19:39

yes - i dont have any problem with them sounding like Blind Guardian at all
Blind Guardian are not going to go back to playing the sort of stuff they did in the eighties/early ninties - so Savage Circus can come along and take that back
he has full right to have the band sound like Blind Guardian back then because he was part of Blind Guardian at that time

a
Yes thay lil sound slike BG and I love it its lil like BG in ''Somewhere Far Beyond'' till ''Nightfall in Middle-Earth'' Just litsne this band, werry good and I like ot, somehow lyrics are BG stylish too, and vocals, its good one, seems I gonna listen them more and more and it prooves one time listened album, no good, I shood hear it more to say best opinium hehe
----

apos;'
[image]
13.08.2007 - 19:46
Baz Anderson

Written by Bad English on 13.08.2007 at 19:25

a
Yes thay lil sound slike BG and I love it its lil like BG in ''Somewhere Far Beyond'' till ''Nightfall in Middle-Earth'' Just litsne this band, werry good and I like ot, somehow lyrics are BG stylish too, and vocals, its good one, seems I gonna listen them more and more and it prooves one time listened album, no good, I shood hear it more to say best opinium hehe

yeh, well if you like the vocals here in Savage Circus - go and listen to some Persuader, where the singr comes from..
they are good as well.. and obviously the same singer..
13.08.2007 - 23:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Baz Anderson on 13.08.2007 at 19:46

Written by Bad English on 13.08.2007 at 19:25

a

yeh, well if you like the vocals here in Savage Circus - go and listen to some Persuader, where the singr comes from..
they are good as well.. and obviously the same singer..

I ckech them out seems interesting now only I need find A MP3
----

apos;'
[image]
13.11.2007 - 03:40
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Yes! I heard this band for the first time when I bought their album a few weeks back. Wow they truly sound like an older Blind Guardian , they're gold