Metal Storm logo
Languages You Speak/Would Like To Speak/Are Learning

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.08.2007 - 17:35
The idea is simple... Talk about the languages you speak, and the ones you would like to learn. What are they? Why do you like them? What is that you don't like about them? How and where did you learn them? What is your mother language?

Personally...

- (As you *might* have noticed) I speak English. Not really well, but I think I can say I know the basis. But it is not my first language: French is. I don't want to sound pretentious or anything, but I speak French really well. Yet, it is the third language I learnt.
- My mother language is Arabic, it was the first one I learnt as I am Moroccan and was born in Morocco. But my parents speak French more than Arabic, and I started going to a French school when I was 5, thus, I started forgetting Arabic. I was still as able to understand it as before, but I couldn't speak it anymore, past my 8th birthday. (Some other important factors were involded, but it is not necessary to mention them.)
- The second language I learnt was Spanish, because of/thanks to Spanish TV channels and my grandmother, who only spoke Spanish and Arabic. But when we left the city where we were living (Tanger, just in front of Spain), I stopped watching Spanish channels, and left my grandmother as well, and then, forgot Spanish too .
- That's when French comes. It became my first language around 8. As the French school system wants it, I started learning English at 11. And I unexpectedly didn't have any difficulty with it. I have always had the best mark in that subject, without making any effort for that. Unfortunately it is still not enough. I realised my level was not as good as I thought it was.
- The next year, (I was 12) I chose Latin, but I had to stop after a few months, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to start Spanish the following year. I started re-learning Spanish at 13.
- But since I took Spanish at 13, I couldn't take German at 15. I had too many subjects and the teachers wouldn't let me add German. Yet it is the language I really want to learn. I like the sonority of it, and I watch German TV channels just to hear it, even if I don't get a word of it .
- As a consequence, the two languages I can speak the best are French, and English.

As you see the topic is vast, there is a lot to say...
09.05.2011 - 04:04
XV535Virago
Written by Valentin B on 24.04.2011 at 18:14
from my former polish flatmate i know the following: spierdalaj kurwa (pronounced spirdalai curva) = get the fuck out of here, you bitch

he also told me that waly(pronounced vali) means "to fuck" or something. that's right, THEY, or to be more precise, I, INVENTED THAT WORD AFTER ME. >:[

Lol, thanks!

and also know pizda means the same thing

Hahaha, that's a good one
----
True norwegian Dimmu Burger : zero tolerance to pickles must be issued!
09.05.2011 - 15:19
0rpheus
Written by Ernis on 08.05.2011 at 23:54

In Egypt the Estonian word "läheme/lähme/لحمه" (we go/let's go) made them giggle... I heard it means "raw meat" or sth...

especially since a phrase such as "اوکی لحمه" (all right, let's go) is quite frequently used...

Plus the Finnish male name Seppo made them giggle plus also the word for "hush/be quiet" which is "kuss/کوسّ"
Especially when a lady told her husband to shut up in the presence of Arab speakers... "Seppo, kuss!"

That is a hilarious disaster lol:
----
I would prefer not to.
09.05.2011 - 15:19
0rpheus
Written by Ernis on 08.05.2011 at 23:54

In Egypt the Estonian word "läheme/lähme/لحمه" (we go/let's go) made them giggle... I heard it means "raw meat" or sth...

especially since a phrase such as "اوکی لحمه" (all right, let's go) is quite frequently used...

Plus the Finnish male name Seppo made them giggle plus also the word for "hush/be quiet" which is "kuss/کوسّ"
Especially when a lady told her husband to shut up in the presence of Arab speakers... "Seppo, kuss!"

That is a hilarious disaster you surprised me, really!
How did you know about it?
Are there Arabs in Estonia?
----
I would prefer not to.
09.05.2011 - 17:26
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by XV535Virago on 09.05.2011 at 04:04

I'm sure this word has Slavic roots but does it really come from Poland? People here sometimes use it too (the adjective form of it is more popular, though) and Latvians generally swear in other languages (mainly Russian) because Latvian language just has no real swear words, so I was guessing it might be Russian... I can even think of an expression in Russian that includes that word. But anyway, I think you're wrong about the translation - it actually means "vagina" and people use it to name like... anything. Sure, when you call someone "pizda", he/she is allowed to be offended no matter what you really meant by saying it...
09.05.2011 - 17:28
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Ragana on 09.05.2011 at 17:26

I'm sure this word has Slavic roots but does it really come from Poland? People here sometimes use it too (the adjective form of it is more popular, though) and Latvians generally swear in other languages (mainly Russian) because Latvian language just has no real swear words, so I was guessing it might be Russian... I can even think of an expression in Russian that includes that word. But anyway, I think you're wrong about the translation - it actually means "vagina" and people use it to name like... anything. Sure, when you call someone "pizda", he/she is allowed to be offended no matter what you really meant by saying it...

the word is same here.....so it is definitely a Slavic word.....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
09.05.2011 - 21:29
Ernis
狼獾
Written by 0rpheus on 09.05.2011 at 15:19

That is a hilarious disaster you surprised me, really!
How did you know about it?
Are there Arabs in Estonia?

Nope, I don't personally know any Arabs in Estonia... but Egypt is the "second homeland" for Estonians... every year Estonians pack their things and go to Shark El Sheikh or Hurghada for a pointless empty vacation where they just lie beside the pool or on the beach for days. They go with entire families, poor little babies are screaming in the airport for they can't understand what's happening... well... their parents just go on their regular trip to Egypt... some even go to Egypt more than just once a year... My mother worked as a representative of a tourism company there years ago and I sorta know the situation.

And don't forget that every year numerous Estonian girls go and marry Egyptian dudes...

Btw... please tell me what seppo, kuss and lähme actually mean then...
09.05.2011 - 21:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ragana on 09.05.2011 at 17:26

i meant that pizda means the same thing as in Romanian(and it's quite obvious what it means haha). anyway yeah we also use it to describe several things, like for example:

"man, i totally cheated on that exam today, i'm probably gonna get a 9!"

"pizdă!" (with the last letter pronounced like the "u" in "burp"... in this case it's an expression meaning something like "awesome!")

and of course as a slang reference to girls(usually in a slutty conotation). anyway a colleague of mine once said that the Romanian language has the worst swears of them all, and from what i have seen of other languages it's true. there are like 3-4 different ways to say "fuck <something>".. there's quite a consistent wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_profanity
09.05.2011 - 22:31
Ragana
Rawrcat
It's weird that I didn't learn any when I was in Romania. We even had a discussion about swear words with a bunch of people (my teammate started it during dinner XD) and I clearly remember Bulgarians sharing a huge amount of their favourite swears (I don't remember any but my friend there learned A LOT), some Lithuanian words and a few phrases in Turkish... but I don't remember any Romanian talking about their swears. I guess they just wanted to leave a good impression on us all as they were the hosting team.

Written by Ernis on 09.05.2011 at 21:29

[..] every year Estonians pack their things and go to Shark El Sheikh or Hurghada for a pointless empty vacation where they just lie beside the pool or on the beach for days. They go with entire families, poor little babies are screaming in the airport for they can't understand what's happening... well... their parents just go on their regular trip to Egypt... some even go to Egypt more than just once a year... My mother worked as a representative of a tourism company there years ago and I sorta know the situation.

Both Egypt and Tunisia are being visited every year by a huge amount of Latvians as well. Some go there just to see the pyramids and learn something about the Egyptian culture/history, some are interested in travelling around the whole country and the rest just want to get some tan. A rather small part of them, though, seem to like these countries so much they would return, but there are people who really like to be there. My godfather is one of them. He goes there for about 3 or 4 times a year just to snorkel and smoke hookah with the local people... He's nuts, but I think it's his happy place.
09.05.2011 - 22:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by 0rpheus on 08.05.2011 at 23:42

Speaking of cursing... Arabic slang rules and this is one of the most common curse word in - and not only - Egypt, Palestine and Jordan.

FUCKING LOL
In Chile we use the same curse word A LOT!!! "concha de tu madre" but since we say it quite fast it's more like "conchesumadre" so when we tell each other "andate a la concha de tu madre" we say quite literally "go back to your mother's pussy" implying that the person shouldn't have been born.

It's one of my all time favorite curse words. Way better than fuck you tbh.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.05.2011 - 14:39
0rpheus
Written by Ernis on 09.05.2011 at 21:29

Egypt is the "second homeland" for Estonians... every year Estonians pack their things and go to Shark El Sheikh or Hurghada for a pointless empty vacation where they just lie beside the pool or on the beach for days. They go with entire families, poor little babies are screaming in the airport for they can't understand what's happening... well... their parents just go on their regular trip to Egypt... some even go to Egypt more than just once a year... My mother worked as a representative of a tourism company there years ago and I sorta know the situation.

And don't forget that every year numerous Estonian girls go and marry Egyptian dudes...

Btw... please tell me what seppo, kuss and lähme actually mean then...

Well, you can call Sharm El Sheikh that way since there have been some Shark accidents.

I didn't know to forget about the Estonian girls issue! do you have any idea why they do that?!

''seppo'' is the plural imperative form of the verb "curse"
"kuss" means pussy/cunt It sounds like that in the Egyptian slang but in Palestine, Jordan, Syria, It sounds "kess" (just like Natalie Portman has pronounced it)
"lahme" means raw meat as you mentioned but in Egypt we pronounce it slightly different as "lahma"
----
I would prefer not to.
10.05.2011 - 23:59
Ernis
狼獾
Written by 0rpheus on 10.05.2011 at 14:39

Well, you can call Sharm El Sheikh that way since there have been some Shark accidents.

I didn't know to forget about the Estonian girls issue! do you have any idea why they do that?!

''seppo'' is the plural imperative form of the verb "curse"
"kuss" means pussy/cunt It sounds like that in the Egyptian slang but in Palestine, Jordan, Syria, It sounds "kess" (just like Natalie Portman has pronounced it)
"lahme" means raw meat as you mentioned but in Egypt we pronounce it slightly different as "lahma"

Thanks a lot... well... I heard from somewhere that seppo means male sexual organ... guess I heard wrong or the source was wrong...

"Läheme" is actually pronounced sort of like "lähmä" here which makes it sound more like the Arabic word...

And the Estonian girls? I don't know... guess they just fall for the southern dudes who are supposedly hotter... in general they fall for all foreigners...
Plus the Estonian and Russian girls are quite popular amongst foreigners because there's rather many beautiful women here... I just know that a pretty blonde girl with a lovely feminine face and nice slim body is a lot more attractive to men from any place of the world than a chubby southern girl with dark hair, eyes, hooked nose and who looks like 30 when she's actually 13... That's the problem that many southern girls mature horribly fast and when some blonde European lady is still a milf in her 30ies and even 40ies then a southern woman looks like a 40-year-old big momma already at the age of 20...

Which doesn't, of course, mean that there ain't beautiful southern girls... I've seen several...
12.05.2011 - 18:34
0rpheus
Written by Ernis on 10.05.2011 at 23:59

And the Estonian girls? I don't know... guess they just fall for the southern dudes who are supposedly hotter... in general they fall for all foreigners...
Plus the Estonian and Russian girls are quite popular amongst foreigners because there's rather many beautiful women here... I just know that a pretty blonde girl with a lovely feminine face and nice slim body is a lot more attractive to men from any place of the world than a chubby southern girl with dark hair, eyes, hooked nose and who looks like 30 when she's actually 13... That's the problem that many southern girls mature horribly fast and when some blonde European lady is still a milf in her 30ies and even 40ies then a southern woman looks like a 40-year-old big momma already at the age of 20...

Which doesn't, of course, mean that there ain't beautiful southern girls... I've seen several...

Yep, falling for foreigners is a common thing regardless the gender nor the ethnicity. Well, I know there are many Russian girls visit Hurghada but I never heard about Estonians.
Regarding southern and blondes, I agree but I want to tell you something maybe you don't know; recently the new generation of Arabs look younger and shorter - like we are going to extinct or something - so I see many girls who are 23 but they look like if they were 18 and this is weird!
Finally, I can't say which girl I prefer, blonde or brunette, European or Arab or Latin, I believe beauty is everywhere... and yea, I love MILFS
----
I would prefer not to.
23.05.2011 - 13:12
Coté
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.05.2011 at 22:46

Written by 0rpheus on 08.05.2011 at 23:42

Speaking of cursing... Arabic slang rules and this is one of the most common curse word in - and not only - Egypt, Palestine and Jordan.

FUCKING LOL
In Chile we use the same curse word A LOT!!! "concha de tu madre" but since we say it quite fast it's more like "conchesumadre" so when we tell each other "andate a la concha de tu madre" we say quite literally "go back to your mother's pussy" implying that the person shouldn't have been born.

It's one of my all time favorite curse words. Way better than fuck you tbh.

I was thinking of posting the same curse, but you were faster. But I'm curious, do we really say "go back to your mother's pussy" 'cause I can't recall that we do. I know we call the person "your mother's count/pussy" but not that we send them to it xD

Anyway, I speak spanish (my mother's language), swedish and english. This third one I woul like to improve.
Some italian, but very little and I'd love to learn german
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
25.05.2011 - 14:16
arwestromen
Wow I just figured out that the swedish language is way behind when it comes to swearing....we don't have any original material, just dirty words that can be translated to any language
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
12.11.2011 - 18:43
kvlt
Written by arwestromen on 25.05.2011 at 14:16

Wow I just figured out that the swedish language is way behind when it comes to swearing....we don't have any original material, just dirty words that can be translated to any language

So do we in Ukraine. We take all the swearings from Russian.
The abovementioned "Pizda" has tons of meanings.
12.11.2011 - 20:58
Ernis
狼獾
Written by kvlt on 12.11.2011 at 18:43

So do we in Ukraine. We take all the swearings from Russian.
The abovementioned "Pizda" has tons of meanings.

But Russian and Ukrainian are closely related which means that the dirty words are also closely related. However, it's natural to use Russian dirty words anyway because they have such an ample vocabulary of profanities...
12.11.2011 - 21:51
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Ernis on 12.11.2011 at 20:58

But Russian and Ukrainian are closely related which means that the dirty words are also closely related. However, it's natural to use Russian dirty words anyway because they have such an ample vocabulary of profanities...

It is us Bulgarians who have the best, most ribald vocabulary of swears, profane or otherwise explicit language.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
12.11.2011 - 21:55
kvlt
Originally Ukrainian did not contain really dirty stuff. All we had was rather funny than insulting and harsh. ß
12.11.2011 - 22:02
kvlt
Written by vezzy on 12.11.2011 at 21:51

Written by Ernis on 12.11.2011 at 20:58

It is us Bulgarians who have the best, most ribald vocabulary of swears, profane or otherwise explicit language.

Still I do think Russian is on top of that)))
21.12.2011 - 06:45
Sweetou
I want to speak Swedish.
17.07.2012 - 16:18
Cüca Beludö
Account deleted
English....
19.09.2012 - 16:06
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Stalker on 18.08.2007 at 21:41

Written by Ernis on 18.08.2007 at 19:01

K7....I have questions....what the fuck are Jusish language? And what the fuck is Treek language? My I really can't understand you.....
Ancient celtic you say.....want celtic, I'll teach you some Irish........

LOL maybe he invented it!

OK i speak serbian very well, croatian - all except maybe few weird words, can understand macedonian and some of slovenian with little effort.

Than, I speak English with some flaws in grammar. Can swear in several languages, including Gipsie.

I wanted to learn swedish, not that I gave up, but its not the easiest language, and I dont heve really chance to hear it, so... but i know few words, hope ll learn some more in future.

And im gonna start learning Russian, dont know when or how, but I will...

LOL, I found this post of mine on the fist page of this thread, which now has 18 pages or something like that. I had to quote it for an update
The main reason for quoting this post is me saying that I'm going to learn Russian one day - and I did. I started learning it like 2 years ago and now I can understand most of it, watch movies in Russian and stuff like that.
The next thing on my list will be Slovak, I wanted to learn it well, since I was born, and now that I have a good chance to do it, I think I'm going to begin with the course next month.
Just to mention, I went to Slovakia few months ago, and up there almost no one speaks English. It's like, you start explaining smth to a person, and the person understands completely the opposite of what you were saying So I resorted to using Serbo-Slovak, so to say, and I must say that I had almost no problems. Slavic languages rule, for me, learning to speak a Slavic language feels like cheating
----
19.09.2012 - 17:14
Porlaneff
I speak Portuguese and a little english. And I can understand Spanish - once a time, I knew an Argentine girl and she speaks Spanish very well (obvious) and a little Portuguese and we talked without any problems. For we Bazilians, we only can't understand Spanish (IMO) if the speaker doesn't want that you understand.
----
Metal is the law
The law is the metal
Metal the law is
Metal
(Metal is the Law - Massacration)
19.09.2012 - 17:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Last year i have learned a basics of Spanish...its really not easy to learn a whole new language from very beginning...and i am afraid i again dont know anything as i havent it in school now
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.09.2012 - 17:48
Fredd
Account deleted
I speak Arabic natively and my English is decent. Might also understand some written French, German and Latin. Can read Cyrillic, Urdu and Persian but won't understand a word. So yes, Arabic and English with upgradable French and German.
19.09.2012 - 18:36
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 19.09.2012 at 17:48

Can read Cyrillic, Urdu and Persian

Those have the same letters as Arabic, right?
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
19.09.2012 - 18:37
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Oaken on 19.09.2012 at 18:36

Urdu and Persian, yes. Cyrillic is Russian/Slavic.
19.09.2012 - 20:50
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Guest on 19.09.2012 at 18:37

Right. But there are... lets see... at least 5 slightly different variants for Slavic languages, and also a few more for non-Slavic languages, such as Mongolian.
I suppose you know Russian cyrillic then.
----
19.09.2012 - 21:22
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Stalker on 19.09.2012 at 20:50

Right. But there are... lets see... at least 5 slightly different variants for Slavic languages, and also a few more for non-Slavic languages, such as Mongolian.

Russian and Serbian
19.09.2012 - 21:32
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Guest on 19.09.2012 at 21:22

Written by Stalker on 19.09.2012 at 20:50

Russian and Serbian

Good choice
----