Metal Storm logo
Metal Book Reviews?

07.11.2007 - 00:27
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
One thing I have always loved about this site are the album reviews. In fact that is how I first discovered Metal Storm. I read the review on Dream Theater's Falling Into Infinity and thought it was the best review of the album I have ever read. Not they gave it a great score, but the way it was scored and the logical review and reasoning behind it.

But back on track.

We have great album reviews here. We have some great articles (everyone read mine!!! sorry...), as well as concert and festival reviews.

What about books? There are a lot of books about Metal out there, and occasionally some Metalhead might actually read one...assuming Metalheads read. There are some great books out there that look at the history of a band, like Hammer of the Gods or The Dirt, books that look at specific scenes/genres like Choosing Death or Lords of Chaos, and biographies/autobiographies of artists like Slash or Save Me From Myself. And then there are a whole slew of books about the history of Heavy Metal.

So what do you all think about this? I personally would love to write reviews for the dozens of Hard Rock/Metal books I have.
----
(space for rent)
07.11.2007 - 00:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 07.11.2007 at 00:27

One thing I have always loved about this site are the album reviews. In fact that is how I first discovered Metal Storm. I read the review on Dream Theater's Falling Into Infinity and thought it was the best review of the album I have ever read. Not they gave it a great score, but the way it was scored and the logical review and reasoning behind it.

But back on track.

We have great album reviews here. We have some great articles (everyone read mine!!! sorry...), as well as concert and festival reviews.

What about books? There are a lot of books about Metal out there, and occasionally some Metalhead might actually read one...assuming Metalheads read. There are some great books out there that look at the history of a band, like Hammer of the Gods or The Dirt, books that look at specific scenes/genres like Choosing Death or Lords of Chaos, and biographies/autobiographies of artists like Slash or Save Me From Myself. And then there are a whole slew of books about the history of Heavy Metal.

So what do you all think about this? I personally would love to write reviews for the dozens of Hard Rock/Metal books I have.

I wa spondering the exact same thing just today when readin Hardcore: A Tribal History. There are loads of other books like Lords Of Chaos, Choosing Death. Books by Martin Popoff on the seventies, eightie & nineties. Lon Friend's - Life On Planet Rock etc. etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.11.2007 - 00:55
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.11.2007 at 00:46

I wa spondering the exact same thing just today when readin Hardcore: A Tribal History. There are loads of other books like Lords Of Chaos, Choosing Death. Books by Martin Popoff on the seventies, eightie & nineties. Lon Friend's - Life On Planet Rock etc. etc.

I read American Hardcore last year. Isn't it a good book? Oh Yeah, I have read a few things by Martin Popoff. He is also quoted on the posters I have for James LaBrie and OSI (both posters signed by the bands).

But anyway, is it a possible idea to do book reviews? I just finished reading Save Me From Myself and Get in the Van, and would love to write reviews for both.
----
(space for rent)
07.11.2007 - 02:16
Lord TJ
I would really like this feature, I never read a metal book before, but I always wanted to! This would help me and other find an interesting metal book, though I do not see why metal books would be uninteresting!
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
07.11.2007 - 05:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
What a great idea. Most of my reading material lately has all been metal books. And Id absolutely kill to be the one to write a review for 'The Dirt'. Not to brag but I think Id be the right guy to do it....
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.11.2007 - 17:56
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Marcel, is this something we should pitch to Ivan?
----
(space for rent)
07.11.2007 - 18:19
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I think it sounds like a great idea...would give you an idea of which books you should keep away from and which you could spend money on
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
07.11.2007 - 18:33
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Great idea. I'm just thinking how exactly to implement it... Also, I need at least a couple of reviews to get this thing started.
07.11.2007 - 18:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
interesting but IMO its I dunno, because read bock, or see doc about metal are one but doc/bock rewiew are other...better write a your own bock and psot it here
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.11.2007 - 19:00
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Ivan on 07.11.2007 at 18:33

Great idea. I'm just thinking how exactly to implement it... Also, I need at least a couple of reviews to get this thing started.

I can write a few reviews within the next week, if that helps at all in getting it started.
----
(space for rent)
07.11.2007 - 19:12
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hell yeah! Sounds awesome! I'd love to read a review of the wonderful "Lords of Chaos" (currently reading myself).
----
07.11.2007 - 19:47
Lord TJ
Written by Bad English on 07.11.2007 at 18:51

interesting but IMO its I dunno, because read bock, or see doc about metal are one but doc/bock rewiew are other...better write a your own bock and psot it here

I dont understand the point your trying to make here? So your saying we should write metal books and post the book on here?

----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

07.11.2007 - 20:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lord TJ on 07.11.2007 at 19:47

I dont understand the point your trying to make here? So your saying we should write metal books and post the book on here?

Yes why not, but it was lil ' ironic
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.11.2007 - 20:34
Lord TJ
Posting entire books on Metalstorm would take up a lot of space, and since the book would be there, what point would reviews for books be on here? Including the fact that authors would not receive their profit.
----

07.11.2007 - 22:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Lord TJ on 07.11.2007 at 19:47

Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album".
----
08.11.2007 - 06:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ivan on 07.11.2007 at 18:33

I could write a review for both Motley Crue's 'The Dirt' (which Id really like to do). And I could start immediatly. Please PM if you'd want me to do this.
----
- George Carlin
09.11.2007 - 06:18
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Maybe they should be added into the list of normal reviews (with an indicator that it's a book) because we wouldn't exactly be getting 5 or 6 book reviews per week.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
13.11.2007 - 19:16
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
So has there been anymore thought to adding this? I am ready to start writing some reviews, but I also thought there needed to be some guidelines for the book reviews. I assume there are some sort of outline for album reviews, if so, then something for books too?
----
(space for rent)
13.11.2007 - 19:30
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 13.11.2007 at 19:16

So has there been anymore thought to adding this? I am ready to start writing some reviews, but I also thought there needed to be some guidelines for the book reviews. I assume there are some sort of outline for album reviews, if so, then something for books too?

I'm just waiting for reviews. So far I received none... As for the rules, I guess most of the album review rules would apply, plus some common sense.
13.11.2007 - 19:33
Lord TJ
Written by Ivan on 13.11.2007 at 19:30

plus some common sense.

Whats that mean?

But yea, Im thinking of going to my local library to see if theres some metal books I can do some work on for reviews. Hopefully they will have some.
----

13.11.2007 - 19:39
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Ivan on 13.11.2007 at 19:30

Written by Dane Train on 13.11.2007 at 19:16

I'm just waiting for reviews. So far I received none... As for the rules, I guess most of the album review rules would apply, plus some common sense.

Haha, I was waiting for the OK to write a review from you, and I guess you were waiting for reviews. Communication break down (its always the same...yeah you know you were singing it too). Well, I will begin writing reviews today. Sorry about the SNAFU.
----
(space for rent)
29.11.2007 - 21:39
Lord TJ
So how is this whole book review thing looking?
----

29.11.2007 - 23:08
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Lord TJ on 29.11.2007 at 21:39

I am working on two of them right now.
----
(space for rent)
02.12.2007 - 21:28
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
OK, it is now possible to add book and film/documentary (obviously, metal-related) in Reviews. Go to the index page and click 'Add review'.
07.03.2008 - 09:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
For being such an embraced idea theres been very little contribution (no book reviews other than mine)....But I'm currently working on 2 reviews for books as we speak...hopefully that will help get this snowball rollin'
----
- George Carlin
11.03.2008 - 03:01
Evil Chip
Im not much into reading. But it would be interesting to know about these books.
20.12.2008 - 12:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 29.11.2007 at 23:08

I just finished my review on Lemmys autobiography, and then I noticed, there is only 2 book reviews up....both of them being mine, where the heck are you on this one dude? I'm all alone out there...
----
- George Carlin
20.12.2008 - 21:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 20.12.2008 at 12:59

Written by Dane Train on 29.11.2007 at 23:08

I just finished my review on Lemmys autobiography, and then I noticed, there is only 2 book reviews up....both of them being mine, where the heck are you on this one dude? I'm all alone out there...

I have been planning to do a couple for quite some time niow. But when it comes to book reviews I am even more lax than when it comes to album reviews
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.12.2008 - 00:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.12.2008 at 21:34

I have been planning to do a couple for quite some time niow. But when it comes to book reviews I am even more lax than when it comes to album reviews

Yeah, I think it should have a snowball effect, once more people start writing them others will follow. Though an upside is I think my book review for that horrid 'Bang Your Head' book has become my most popular review.
----
- George Carlin
22.12.2008 - 05:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I've only read a couple metal books myself, "Lords of Chaos" which i'd be half tempted to review just to see the shitstorm on review comments, and "Choosing Death."

like Marcel, i'm too lax in doing reviews. basically, if i'm going to do one, it means a six pack of beer and listening to the album for about six hours straight. i'm not going to bother writing one unless i can commit fully.

books would be even harder just because you can cram an awful lot of ideas into 300-400 pages.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!