Metal Storm logo
Rhapsody: Favourite Album

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 06.06.2006 - 21:13
The last time this poll was around, I first voted for 'Legendary Tales' but then after giving all of their albums a good chance and listen to I decided I really preferred 'Power Of The Dragonflame' to any of the others.
I said that I thought all the people that voted for the first two albums probably hadnt given their other ones a good enough chance like I hadnt, and people seemed to jump all over me for saying that. hahaha
I still think there is some truth in that - for example everyone will always vote for the first two 'Keeper Of The Seven Keys' albums for Helloween and 'Imaginations From The Other Side' and 'Nightfall In Middle earth' for Blind Guardian
-the first two Rhapsody albums just have that reputaion and so people will always vote for them without giving the others a good chance.

I think 'Power Of The Dragonflame' is their best album, and 'Dawn Of Victory' is just behind that.
these two albums are more aggressive then the first two and seem to have more energy in them in my opinion.
of coruse i think the first two albums are still brilliant, especially 'Symphony Of Enchanted Lands' but i dont think they are as good as people make them out compared to the others.

But whatever, I am sure you will all let me know how you feel, and feel free to jump all over me again. haha. at least it gives us something to discuss.
Thanks!

Poll

Which do you prefer?

Symphony Of Enchanted Lands
Dawn Of Victory
Power Of The Dragonflame
Legendary Tales
Symphony Of Enchanted Lands II - The Dar
Rain Of A Thousand Flames

Total votes: 122
17.07.2006 - 00:20
Baz Anderson
Staff
hahaha, i agree. i dont really like their new name either. as someone suggested, i would rather they changed it to Mighty Rhapsody (their web site name) if they 'had' to change it at all

it is actually really really surprising the amount of people that are coming out and saying they like 'Power Of The Dragonflame' most, because last time everyone religiously voted for their first two albums
maybe people were just afraidto vote for something different before.. i dont know
20.07.2006 - 11:56
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
I was once a huge Rhapsody fan like 2 years ago, since I felt obligated to see them live one year ago eventhough I didn't like them at all at that point, I think I feel obligated to post about Rhapsody 2 years later, even though I don't like them at all.

First of all, I really liked the first album. It was just fun, even though in actuality, it only has like 6 songs. The rest were just interludes and stuff I would never expect any band, no matter how shameless to put on an album. 5 of those 6 songs, I love. It really sucked they played none of them at thier show, for that reason I considered it a bad performance. Those songs were very over the top, but well-written and fun. No BS, no faux epic feeling, just straight forward fast songs. Hell, I even liked those orchestral parts. But I haven't heard the album,in yes... 2 years.

Symphony of Enchanted is actually a decent offering. Some songs sound the same here and there, and again, you have to skip like 4 tracks or something. In theory, uptil Power of the Dragonflame, they released only EPs. But cheese and blatant pompus behavior, it was a decent listen. I forgot to mention the HORRBIBLE "voice actor" they got for the album. Sounded more like a D&D hardcore fan that would attend Star Trek conventions with zits on his face more than any actor that had ever been knighted( the linear notes indicated he had "sir" infront of his name). But he was the appropriate person to give those narrations, seeing as how there was no way in hell anyone could have taken the band serious at any time.

Dawn of Victory is pretty uninspired and bland. Feels like the band just played the songs and handed it off to some guy for it to be produced without even caring how it would come out. Some songs sound just so stereotypically Italian to be quite frank, Fabio's voice has never been this bad accent wise EVER!

I pretty much think the same goes for Power of the Dragonflame save a few good speedy and heavy numbers.
Kudos to Rhapsody for those 3 songs.

Thier last album (What is it with power metal bands and sequels? like there's even a plot!) is just flat out bad, I did however love hearing Holy Warcry on stage, but besides that one time and place, I really can't stand anything off this album, and was too lazy to finish it or even care.

Rhapsody is surely the most overrated band in metal. It amazes me how even people who can't stand the genre can even like this band. I mean Stratovarious has been putting stuff out like this since Episode(1995), just without all the granduer stuff, and at a much higher quality. Right?

EDIT:
@Baz: No, I am not on a tour to talk badly about your favorite bands, though you should watch out for Dragonforce, Maiden, and Edguy
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
21.07.2006 - 14:42
Baz Anderson
Staff
Black Wizard: hahahaha - i was wondering. i have kinda gone off Dragonforce latley though, so i will probably half agree with whatever you say about them

you're not a Rhapsody fan then. hahahaha
i guess some people can handle the whole 'cheese' thing more then others - i mean i think some things are a bit over the top, but i guess thats what makes Rhapsody Rhapsody - im just used to it now
21.07.2006 - 16:23
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
It's not them being over the top, this is symphonic power metal here, I can't blame them for that.
They have, however, become more tedius.

and I don't really think I'll even post in a Dragonforce thread, they are surely too over the top for me to talk about, much less even handle listening to.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
12.08.2006 - 22:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by MetalSpider on 06.06.2006 at 22:35

Gargoyles is great but not my favourite thats for sure. I prefer the long songs of Symphony X.

Only long song of Symhony X are Odysey ist more then 20 min it long. but if sone are 5-11 its int long, its normal, less then 5 min its short song.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.08.2006 - 02:35
Megadeth88
The only album that I actually enjoyed is "Legendary Tales". I gave all of the other albums a chance but none of them were as good as their first album.
13.08.2006 - 04:59
MetalSpider
Written by Bad English on 12.08.2006 at 22:47

Gargoyles is great but not my favourite thats for sure. I prefer the long songs of Symphony X.

Only long song of Symhony X are Odysey ist more then 20 min it long. but if sone are 5-11 its int long, its normal, less then 5 min its short song.

Well there is also The Divine Wings of Tragedy which is pretty much exactly 20 minutes. Thats another great song.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
13.08.2006 - 14:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by MetalSpider on 13.08.2006 at 04:59

Well there is also The Divine Wings of Tragedy which is pretty much exactly 20 minutes. Thats another great song.

Sorry I know only Odysey and I had lock at other albums too and sont lenght too, but I had hear onlt Odysey .D
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.08.2006 - 19:04
MetalSpider
Written by Bad English on 13.08.2006 at 14:03

Written by MetalSpider on 13.08.2006 at 04:59

Sorry I know only Odysey and I had lock at other albums too and sont lenght too, but I had hear onlt Odysey .D

Thats ok . If you havent heard Divine Wings of Tragedy, then you should. Its also very good. The whole album is excellent.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
28.08.2006 - 23:49
Endoftherainbow
I think I like Power of the Dragonflame best just because of the song Gargoyles but it's been so long since I've listened to a complete Rhapsody album so I don't know if I can really stand behind this decision at a later date. I did think all of the albums were great though except the latest one that was pretty shitty.
02.09.2006 - 04:22
Cloud Strife
Account deleted
I've heard all albuns, and loved all.

But for me, Dawn of Victory is special.
I don't know why, but this is the best for me
14.09.2006 - 00:25
peavy
Account deleted
I love 'em all but I chose "Power of the Dragonflame" cause it's the heaviest!! Fantastic production, very complex and heavy as hell!!
14.09.2006 - 01:07
Baz Anderson
Staff
im still quite shocked how this poll has turned out because i swear on the old version of metalstorm, on the same thread - it was the first two albums running away with it..
the same hasnt happened here thoughand the only reason i can think why is because i started the ball rolling by making it the first album to be voted for
29.09.2006 - 01:35
IrOnRoSeS
Account deleted
Dawn of Victory for me. I think it is a goo cross over beetwen the heavyness of Power of the Dragonflame and Rain of A Thousand Flames and the softness of Legendary Tales and Symphony Of Enchanted Lands...Anyway, I think that Rhapsody doing the same on every album...maybe they should get new inspirations or something
30.09.2006 - 20:00
Baz Anderson
Staff
its a shame i cant include 'Triumph Or Agony' in there now
if someone would have voted for that - just let us know and dont vote or whatever
23.05.2007 - 20:21
Milutin
Account deleted
hmm... this is a tuff one for me. i like the first three albums the most, i don't like the later rhapsody very much. in the end i decided for Symphony Of Enchanted Lands Part I closely followed by Legendary Tales.
24.05.2007 - 01:44
APOHAKC
The Bard
Voted for legendar tales, I like that albums more than others. Symphony Of The Enchanted Lands is also good album. I don't like other albums much... I still prefer Luca Turilli's projects...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
24.05.2007 - 12:10
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
the best is the final chapter of the Emerald Sword Saga - Power of the Dragonflame, but all from ESS are good and i also like Rain of the Thousand Flames because of Wizard's Last Rhymes
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.05.2007 - 20:55
Bitch Boy
"Dawn of victory" is my favorite. I like it especially because of the excellent guitar work that Luca Turilli did. And also it has some of the best Rhapsody's songs like "Holy Tunderforce" or the title song. The lyrics are really funny but enjoyable at the same time.
31.05.2007 - 15:51
Dirt pride
Account deleted
Power of the dragonflame is my favoroute. its pretty epic, and agony is my name is one of thier best songs ive heard. also its got a great story line.
18.07.2007 - 02:36
Dark Tormentor
Account deleted
My favorite rhapsody's cds are Power of ther dragonflame, Dawn of victory and rain of a thousand flames...i don't know but i just liked the first 5 albums then when they released the dark secret i just started to loose interest in the band i just felt like they putted to much things to the songs like too much exagerated symphony, and i still not get used to their new name and im not much into their new stuff i just like their old cd's better eventhoguh i've all of their albums... i just think the band got stuck with the sound and they dont make much new ass kicker songs
18.07.2007 - 13:52
Infurnace
I'm one of the few people voting for "Symphony Of Enchanted Lands II - The Dark Secret". I really enjoy the classical and opera elements on this album. It also has some pretty catchy songs on it.
25.07.2007 - 20:02
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
hmmm i know earlier i stood by Dawn Of Victory lol, but now that i think ov it, their best release has to be Power Of The Dragonflame "Gargoyles...." is the best way to end a saga!
25.07.2007 - 20:46
Inlé
Written by Infurnace on 18.07.2007 at 13:52

I'm one of the few people voting for "Symphony Of Enchanted Lands II - The Dark Secret". I really enjoy the classical and opera elements on this album. It also has some pretty catchy songs on it.

Odd choice for a fave, but yes that album is underrated and given flak for no reason. As much as I like the guy, I think the Chriss Lee narration just makes it a bit too OTT myself...

Anyway my fave is SoEL I, closely followed by the Rain of a thousand flames and Dawn of Victory.
10.08.2007 - 17:19
selken
Irreligious
well, I voted for the Enchanted Lands 2, although their albums are very similar.
----
15.05.2008 - 14:43
child_of_fire
Account deleted
The best album of Rhapsody is Power Of The Dragonflame!!! :x
ps: new name sucks. sry
16.05.2008 - 12:15
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Power of the DragonFlame is my favorite. ive had it for 3 years and it still doesnt get old for me any time i put it on.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
20.11.2008 - 14:00
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
This is difficult always i love every album right now im feeling Legendary Tales is the best
i can't stop listening Rage Of The Winter and Lord Of The Thunder

Rhapsody are flawless
----
Stay Metal !!!
20.11.2008 - 16:46
PM
Hail Lusitânia
Symphony of Enchanted Lands, because i think it represents the soul of Rhapsody, i mean, the whole album, the whole songs are pure Rhapsody: not too heavy, not too fast, not too hollywood, but Rhapsody in its best!!

But i really like all the albums, it's one of my fav bands of all time... Although i admit that their last album 'Triumph or Agony' is a bit soft and too hollywood... But it's a bit different from the rest, wich is a good thing!

Hail to Rhapsody!!
----
PM is a pink elephant, and can be found at the bamboo forests of Greenland...
21.11.2008 - 21:42
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Dawn of Victory is the only album from Rhapsody there all songs are fantastic.
On of the best album ever. I Love Rhapsody but i hate them to, but they do good music. I prefer Dragonforce they are not so serious about fantasymusic and they are fun.
Rhapsody is good to listen to if you want seriousness.