Metal Storm logo
Glorior Belli

14.12.2007 - 14:18
Xaphiris
For a while now I've been listening to a lot of black metal bands that up until recently I hadn't had the vaguest clue about. One of them is a French raw black metal band called Glorior Belli, an act associated with bands such as Temple of Baal, Obscurus Advocam and Blackgod. After familiarizing with more French acts, I found this band to be some great listening.

They've recently been added to the Featured Bands section here.

They've only appeared more recently and I understand most of you have no idea who they are, still, I'm curious as to what you guys have to say about them.
----
14.12.2007 - 15:14
Damnated
Churchburner
filthy, evil and extremely catchy. i could listen to this band 24/7. their tunes just don't get boring, no matter how many times i replay their albums. i've become a glorior belli fanboy, tbh.

ps: i've submitted a track to the MP3 section, but it was either overlooked, or the staff just didn't had time to check it. no matter, here's Severed from the Self of their new Manifesting the Raging Beast LP. and Celestial Phenomena and In Paradisum... of their debut, Ô Laudate Dominvs.

and here's the myspace. http://www.myspace.com/gloriorbelli
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
14.12.2007 - 15:23
Sunioj
Their first album is also amazing. I'd even say the songs get better and better towards the end of the disc.
14.12.2007 - 16:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know band but mainly 2005 album, but Im not fan of them and also dont say thay sucks, Im in midle, I listen them and same time not offen
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.12.2007 - 00:25
rageing atheist
Account deleted
The link to In Paradisum... didn't work for me. Before coming across this thread I was only vaguely aware of them, but I liked the tracks on their Myspace, and the Severed From The Self mp3.
15.12.2007 - 01:28
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I only have their newest album, which I like, but everyone keeps on saying how much better their debut is. Just as Damnated said, they're definitely catchy and evil at the same time.
15.12.2007 - 13:12
Damnated
Churchburner
i prefer their second album over their debut. it's just more mature and evil
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
15.12.2007 - 18:49
VPeter
I have to say this band caught me by suprise, at first I taught "oh boy another basement black metal to avoid"
but when I listened to it it was actually quite good unlike 45254234 basement black metal bands.
16.12.2007 - 17:50
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by VPeter on 15.12.2007 at 18:49

I have to say this band caught me by suprise, at first I taught "oh boy another basement black metal to avoid"

lol, how come? the production is good at Glorior Belli. it is filthy, but it's made to be filthy. this is not low quality production. on the contrary
----

17.12.2007 - 00:02
VPeter
well a lad I know told me about them and that I should listen to them. I already rolled mine eyes there since he mostly likes raw black metal, so I looked them up at metal archives. from there I could see it was raw black metal with the cliche picture of them and I already prepared myself for huge suckage, but to mine suprise it was raw alright... but it didn't suck like most raw black metal bands such as Striborg.
17.12.2007 - 01:47
Damnated
Churchburner
well, there is a difference between raw and raw you know. you see Glorior Belli is the living example why you shouldn't dismiss something just because it's labelled somehow.

ps: that pic isn't a cliche at all.
----

17.12.2007 - 08:52
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well, maybe it's just me, or their latest album, but I don't find them to be any more "raw" than the usual Black Metal. If anything, I'd say they are as clean as much of the newer material put out by say Gorgoroth or Dark Funeral, and if anything, a bit more coherent. If that makes any sense.

Anyway, I'm usual skeptical about the originality of many bands these days, especially Black Metal, but so far what I have heard, I quite enjoy. It will take further listens to form a full opinion though, of course.
----
The force will be with you, always.
17.12.2007 - 10:24
Sunioj
Lots of bands that are in the same vein also have pretty top notch production though, I'd say that they are raw with emotion, and not just straight blasting through like, I dare say, 'norsecorish' bands like Dark Funeral or newer Gorgoroth. I find the songwriting so much more fullfilling because it doesn't abuse heaviness.
17.12.2007 - 16:12
Damnated
Churchburner
wht do you guys understand under raw? the production or the non melodic sound of the music? personally i think it's the latter .
----

17.12.2007 - 16:23
VPeter
Written by Damnated on 17.12.2007 at 01:47

well, there is a difference between raw and raw you know. you see Glorior Belli is the living example why you shouldn't dismiss something just because it's labelled somehow.

ps: that pic isn't a cliche at all.

they luckly changed it to an other one, it used to be the standard black and white corpsepaint picture.
17.12.2007 - 18:08
Damnated
Churchburner
you talking about this picture?

imo it's awsome.
----

17.12.2007 - 19:00
Sunioj
Yeah, it would be redundant to name a black metal band raw just because of bad production. So its definetly the latter.
17.12.2007 - 19:57
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well, I do enjoy the slower aspect of Black Metal and not just constant blasting. I'm not real sure about "non melodic" being raw as opposed to bad production. If that were so, almost every Black Metal band would be "raw." I'm not really a big genre whore, so I just like to stick with calling it Black.
----
The force will be with you, always.
18.12.2007 - 01:44
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I'm currently listening to 'Severed from the Self', and the start of the song really kicked me in the face. That alone was enough to encourage me to search for their material on DC++ right now.
30.12.2007 - 20:12
Infurnace
One of my favorite Black Metal bands of all time. The music is really catchy, but brutal. Really good stuff.
19.01.2008 - 15:00
W-Lash
Metal Master
There is nothing special in this band. It's soooo booooring. Open MA and find thousands of bands that sound exactly the same or even better.
I usually like to listen bands that have something unique in their sound and this average crap is not for me.
20.01.2008 - 22:44
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by W-Lash on 19.01.2008 at 15:00

There is nothing special in this band. It's soooo booooring. Open MA and find thousands of bands that sound exactly the same or even better.
I usually like to listen bands that have something unique in their sound and this average crap is not for me.

have you found bands that sound like them? please, share away.
----

21.01.2008 - 00:18
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Damnated on 20.01.2008 at 22:44

Written by W-Lash on 19.01.2008 at 15:00

have you found bands that sound like them? please, share away.

Dude, I don't attempt to remember all black metal bands i don't like. Now i don't even remember how did Glorior Belli sound just because it wasn't for me.
Obviously I won't recommend you anything.
21.01.2008 - 00:31
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by W-Lash on 21.01.2008 at 00:18

Dude, I don't attempt to remember all black metal bands i don't like. Now i don't even remember how did Glorior Belli sound just because it wasn't for me.

obviously you missed the sarcasm, and obviously you are a n00b if you state that there are a large number of bands that sound like Glorior Belli. this is not a question of taste, but a question of ears. i guess you usually listen to some over produced music, so you can't spot the difference between black metal and black metal.

for your information, there are very few bands that sound like Glorior Belli. and even if they have something in common with other bands, this is usually the atmosphere, and only the atmosphere. Glorior Belli is a rare bird.
----

21.01.2008 - 00:38
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Damnated on 21.01.2008 at 00:31

Written by W-Lash on 21.01.2008 at 00:18

this is not a question of taste, but a question of ears.

for your information, there are very few bands that sound like Glorior Belli.

And who said that YOU have the RIGHT ears?
It's easy to say "you don't understand black metal at all because you listen wrong black metal while you should listen the right one. This is very unique band just because it is and only professionals see that".
21.01.2008 - 00:51
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by W-Lash on 21.01.2008 at 00:38

It's easy to say "you don't understand black metal at all because you listen wrong black metal while you should listen the right one. This is very unique band just because it is and only professionals see that".

you are the one that said that there are thousands (!!!!) that sound like Glorior Belli, yet you can't name one. you must have some excellent ears. i'm actually curious now, could you name 3-5 bands that sound like Glorio Belli? (other than Gorgoroth or Marduk, please )
----

21.01.2008 - 01:33
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Damnated on 21.01.2008 at 00:51

Written by W-Lash on 21.01.2008 at 00:38

you are the one that said that there are thousands (!!!!) that sound like Glorior Belli, yet you can't name one. you must have some excellent ears. i'm actually curious now, could you name 3-5 bands that sound like Glorio Belli? (other than Gorgoroth or Marduk, please )

What for i should remember bands that aren't worthy enough to stay in my memory?
Really need some? Ok:
http://www.metal-archives.com/browseG.php?g=black
try a few bands (except symphonic, melodic and some other subgenres) and you will definetely find stuff that is simlar to Glorior Belli.
I know you will say that i'm wrong and that GB is the one and the most unique band ever and so and so on. You may think in that way. You like it? Ok, nice. It didn't create that great atmosphere for me or whatever it did to you.
And i don't listen neither Gorgoroth nor Marduk.
21.01.2008 - 09:17
Damnated
Churchburner
never mind.
----

25.01.2008 - 17:19
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Anyway, yeah, Glorior Belli is a stunning band, another notch on the French BM scene (like they need anymore). The new album is superb and fits in quite nicely with the orthodox scene at the moment. Recommended for fans of DSO, Funeral Mist, Ofermod etc.
26.01.2008 - 00:27
orphy
Man, I really dig this band. The 2005 release was better than the 2007 release in my opinion. It's definitely along the lines of their fellow French cults.
----
-orphy